It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Special Forces Convo : Originally Called 'For all those people who think the American Special Force

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I would like to read about this Chechnyan battle with 90 Russian paratroopers. Got any links or locations to google?

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Was it in the Argun Ravine?

This report?

[Edited on 5-3-2004 by cargo]

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
For all those who feel this thread has outlived its uselessness and would be better adressed through a research thread or rather just letting it slide peacefully into the night please signify with an I, or a

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Keep in mind that if Americas Special Forces aren't elite than practicaly no one is. If you think there is anything better than Special Forces either there top secret or you play to many video games.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
What makes the Ameican Special Forces so different from the others so that if they aren't the elit no one else is!?

Thats a stupid response.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47
For all those who feel this thread has outlived its uselessness and would be better adressed through a research thread or rather just letting it slide peacefully into the night please signify with an I, or a

We're still debating about skill level of various special forces... Since this is more of a subjective thing I dont see how a research thread would help. A research thread, however, would help to determine the existance of these 'Special Forces Olympics' that I've mentioned.
Admittedly, the main topic of the argument was my quote from the duncan falconer book, but there has been such addition of material that to close this thread just because it is at a slight tangent to the original discussion would be outrageous... There are plenty of sources inside this thread debating pros and cons, it would be silly to lock it.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 03:38 AM
link   
What ever anybody else says, SBS and SAS are the best forces in the western world. And if you were to ask about this from any professional soldier in his/hers sane mind he/she would also tell you this.

SAS actually has IE put down a prison riot with batons only, and even rescued a hostage held by the rebelious prisoners.

--

Peterhead Prison

In October 1987, the SAS were called up again to stop a problem in their own country. However this operation would include no guns. The SAS were called in to Peterhead Prison in Scotland. Prisoners had taken over the prison and needed to be subdued. The SAS was the only unit at the time with the means to carry out such a mission.

The team pumped a mixture of smoke and tear gas into the building. Once that was completed, an assault team made entry. They entered the building through a hole in the ceiling that the prisoners had made. Instead of MP-5s, the SAS Team was armed with long staves(batons). The Team approached the hole to be greeted by a prisoner. Usuing a flash-bang, the team quickly subdued the prisoner. Another problem needed to be taken care of. A prison guard was also being held by the prisoners. The team found the officer and quickly hurried him out of the building toward more waiting SAS soldiers.

The prison assault showed everyone that the SAS was capable of using their best judgment for each situation. It showed the public that guns are not always needed to achieve a victory.

--

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Cool, I am glad Fulcrum agrees here because he isnt British and you cant say it's being Patriotic.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 07:03 AM
link   
www.sasrogues.bravepages.com...

(Of the PeterHead prison raid, second for some pictures)

And yes Browha, if i was to be from UK, SAS and SBS would be in my short list of things to be proud of about my nation..

[Edited on 6-3-2004 by FULCRUM]

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The British Armed Forces are the best in the world, far better than their American counterparts. American Forces have a reputaton all over the world for being not that good.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Keep in mind that if Americas Special Forces aren't elite than practicaly no one is. If you think there is anything better than Special Forces either there top secret or you play to many video games.

Even Britain's Territorial Army (the part-time soldiers) are better trained than American FULL-TIME soldiers.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Delta is based on the SAS, the Seals are based on the SBS and the Rangers on the Royal Marines.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
Delta is based on the SAS, the Seals are based on the SBS and the Rangers on the Royal Marines.

SEALs aren't based on SBS (though many seem to think that). They are an evolution from the UDT's who are an evolution from the old NCDU's and Raiders.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
i think that this is an ok thread i mean every 1 likes a little compition but does any 1 have any info on a international SF teams u know like "rainbow" from tomclancys book "rainbow 6"?
besides does any actually fight SF to SF anymore?
besides all that it is now is anti terrorism
i do have to ask 2 things
1stlywho said rangers were based on royal marines?
2ndly u do realise that royal marines are an amphibios force and the us marines are based on em
can i ask if u meant training wise or just in general?

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
i feel the U.S. special ops are great. and i know that because i am part of it as a hh-60 flight engineer

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
yeah US SF are good but so are brittish and any special forces are good

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue

SFOD-D is base on the need for a professional anti-terrorism and counter-insurgency/intelligence force.

Seals are based on the need for maritime and amphibious force, like Delta, but with different training and skills pertinent to that particular need.

And Rangers could not have possibly been based on Royal Marines. The first Ranger unit, formed by CPT Benjamin Church in 1670, wouldn't have been alive to see the first Royal Marine to set foot in America. There was no Royal Marine presence in America until the revolutionary war.

Ranger tactics were derived from how native Americans were observed in King Philip's frontier war.

Modern special operations is a culmination of all allies collective lessons learned. They are all equally skilled, trained, and dedicated, and they vary only in their particular missions and tactics.

DeltaChaos

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
is there anything like rainbow six in the world?

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND

SEALs aren't based on SBS (though many seem to think that). They are an evolution from the UDT's who are an evolution from the old NCDU's and Raiders.

The SEALs original 'parent units' as such performed tasks similar to those of the SBS, but the parent unit was formed after the SBS, PERHAPS (speculation) that after the sucesses of the British SBS teams, an American equivilant was produced

The SEALs and SBS still do many operational swaps with each other, sending out their soldiers to the other team and vice versa, 'soldier exchanges', as such, and result in parent units learning greatly about the other teams...

However, a point I feel I have to raise,
the US Special Forces are paid a heck of a lot more than their British counterparts (One book, dont have it off-hand, said the SEALs boys had their own boats, set of luxury cars, big homes, etc)...

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   
However, a point I feel I have to raise,
the US Special Forces are paid a heck of a lot more than their British counterparts (One book, dont have it off-hand, said the SEALs boys had their own boats, set of luxury cars, big homes, etc)...

That is a load of crap. SEALs get paid the same amount as anyone else in the Navy. The only special pay they get is dive and hazardous duty. That is it. I will admit they have a nice reenlistment bonus.

BTW here is the official history of the TEAMS:

www.seal.navy.mil...

Funny, no mention of the SBS there. Or here:

www.navyseals.com...

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join