It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Teacher Faces 40 Lashes for Naming Class Teddy Bear 'Muhammad'

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
So your post to me was basically an attack on moderators? Isn't that off topic as well? At least mine had a point behind it.

Now back to the topic. I wouldn't want to disappoint you.

Intrepid, can you hear yourself? It is scary.

It's edging on the ridiculous. You and the other mods have a hard enough time as it is, keeping threads on topic.

But when you - with your own personal interests - do exactly what the mods are here to prevent, go and derail threads, YOU consider it an attack on all of the mods if someone mentions it? *PATHETIC*

I hope this is between me and you, and that you have not gone and instigated a "Watch out for badwolf, comrades" agenda against me, just because we don't agree here.

The topic is ISLAM, and ISLAMIC law.

You replied to someone who cited the qur'an. IE; Islamic belief. To counter their statements, you bring up the "old testament" - which has no relation to the Qur'an, nor any events today.

You then threaten to bring into the argument, OFF TOPIC and redundant ideas - simply because for some reason it opposes islam, yet is also infallible in the eyes of a religious zealot.

I DO NOT GO FOR IT.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 03:02 AM
link   
The Islam hating in this thread needs to stop, now!

Just because of a few people(terrorists, Islamic radical types, crazy people) from over a BILLION Muslims abuse their power, misunderstand, abuse Islam and use Islam for their political and personal needs, it doesn't give you the right to do the same.

[edit on 27-11-2007 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I'm going to be controversial.

You see, I live in the world. I see world events. I subscribe to the old adage of "when in Rome, do as the romans do."

So I've seen the problem of radical Islam. We all have. Its in the news alot. Hell, you don't get a better poster child for it than 9/11.

I highly doubt as well that many educated people on the planet missed the theological and - sometimes - violent debate about the "offensive" cartoons - right?

So. An educated western woman (shes a teacher) goes to a predominentaly muslim area, aware that things are a bit touchy with some of these extremists and calls a teddy bear effigy Mohammed.

Thats kind of like sitting in an explosives shed cutting metal with an angle grinder. She should have known a damn site better. Its just dumb.

Its like a muslim going into the middle of Brooklyn and screaming "allah akbar" whilst burning the US flag.

You see, to fee extremists all you need to do is give them an excuse - even a tiny little one.

You can see that from the cartoon incident where the muslim warhawks were up in arms over what they stated were offensive drawings.

You can see it from the gays argument where western warhawks were using it as an excuse to justify bombing Iran.

What I'm saying is that she really really should have known better.

Now whether that equates to lashes, I really couldn't say.

I'm not Sudanese, I don't hold any of their religious values and I don't know their laws and - I might add - i'm fairly convinced no one who has contributed on this thread does either

So while I can state clearly that I don't believe in corporal punishment and can't condone the actions of the people who may do this, what I can say is that its a Sudanese matter, for the Sudanese to sort out with the woman and any appointed representatives from the UK. Its their laws. We have no right to try and dictate to them what to do any more than they have a right to come to the UK and tell us what to do.

As a story, its kind of shocking. As an event, its how the world works. Different people see things differently and do things in different ways.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
I'm going to be controversial.

Good Post, the Sudanese need to start using their common sense, people are not using it these days, no matter where in the world people are, oh well. We were born with it, use it!

[edit on 27-11-2007 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

We should send in the SAS get her out.

If we dont look out for our own, who else will?

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I'm quite neutral when it comes to all religions, to me they're all a form of obsessive compulsive disorder which, here in Britain, is fully treatable on the NHS.

However, I have to say that modern Islam does seem to me to be quite barbaric- the hanging of Gay people, the brutal treatment of women (stoning of women for adultery in Iran for example) it does seem a little stuck in the middle ages. It is largley the fault of the governing bodies in the Arab nations of course, but I think the reason that the vast number of muslim men in these countries don't fight against it is because they're on to a good deal, so to speak.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 05:20 AM
link   

So. An educated western woman (shes a teacher) goes to a predominentaly muslim area, aware that things are a bit touchy with some of these extremists and calls a teddy bear effigy Mohammed.

What everyone seems to be missing is that Mohammed is a very common name in Islamic countries. The kids in her class thought it was perfectly ok to call the bear Mohammed, like schoolkids here would call a bear Teddy or a goat Billy. I doubt there was any religious connotation to it at all until some pedantic parent or school administrator decided it was blasphemous and was going to be a prig about it.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by planetfall

Originally posted by jfj123
There's really nothing wrong with Islam as a religion.

but for the fact that allah demands this to be a muslim world, and infidels must either be converted, or killed. its very simple.

ready to convert, infidel? (apparently, conversion is no guarantee... would you like to sit in the sunni or shiite section, good sir?)

perhaps this might help open a few complacent eyes:

www.thereligionofpeace.com...

Actually this is a misconception. The Koran actually states that the death of ANY individual diminishes ALL.

What is read and printed now is a bastardization of the original text.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 05:44 AM
link   
This apparently is the norm is some Islamic countries:

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 05:50 AM
link   
It seems most religions have had these problems. Radical control freaks bent on imposing their wills on others, take a religion and twist it and use it to control people. It never ends well.
The Salem Witch Trials were a good example.
or
The Inquisition

Regarding the teacher. I'm sure she didn't mean anything by it but she forgot where she was. Does she deserve to be lashed for allowing others to name a teddy bear muhammad? Of course not. Teddy bears are generally positive figures to children so if anything, the name would have been associated with something very positive in the children's lives. Now the name muhammad will be associated with torturing their teacher. GOOD JOB thinking that one through!! Makes me wanna sign up

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Heh.

We've named the desert fox that runs around our compound Mohammed al-Jihad- told the locals that too, they think its funny.

I'm thinking these people just pick and choose what they're gonna deem offensive.... Gahhhhh CHOKE YOURSELF!

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dero
Heh.

We've named the desert fox that runs around our compound Mohammed al-Jihad- told the locals that too, they think its funny.

I'm thinking these people just pick and choose what they're gonna deem offensive.... Gahhhhh CHOKE YOURSELF!

All this really isn't about religion anyway, its just petty immature behavior, compare it to a bunch of of people getting upset over someone calling their teddy bear the Queen Elizabeth.

Its just a name! for some kids! Who cares, I'm sure Mohamed would even think its petty, all he asks is not to worship the teddy bear, which is highly unlikely lol.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Bloody Ridiculous. Just another example of a completely flawed ideology.

Poor woman is all i have to say and as for the rape victim, i think i read the reason she is getting lashed is because she was having an affair with the guy in the car and therefore 'breaking the law' and not realising he was going to invite his acquaintances to join in on the party so to speak. It is sick. She gets 200 lashes and a prison sentence for being gang raped. Even if she did break the petty in modern times law i:d say shes been punished enough> thinking about it has made me so angry that i accidently held my finger on the shift key and now i cant type symbols> does anyone know how to turn sticky keys off?

& as far as the teddy bear thing> pathetic> completely pathetic>
twenty out of the twenty three children in the class were actually the ones to name the bear mohammed so maybe the parents that complained should look a little closer to home> maybe it is their kids who should be lashed>lynched> put in a cell to rot> i dont think so>

flawed country> flawed religion> floored minds>flawed world

only a global social revolution could ever sort out the indictment a treatment of people in situations like this> who have commited no moral crime or harmed anyone else> it is the sad sorry place we live in and it will never change> i hope that when that asteroid is eventually on a path with our tiny blue pearl we have no way of deflecting it and the scum that is our race finally gets finished off for good>

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Probably already been said(i only skipped through the thread),but why is it absolutely fine for Muslims to call their sons Mohammed,but not OK to call an inanimate object(teddy bear/statue/whatever) the same name?

Its all a bit silly really IMO.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by V0NkA1N87
Why does this kind of thing always decends into the "savage muslims", it's the powers that be in Sudan among others who commit these atrocities in the name of Islam, you can't tar every muslim with the same brush.

Also, I can't imagine the British Government will allow this to go through.

Because Muslims Do not Tollerate or respect other Cultures.

When a Christian Visits a Muslim Country, He/She "MUST" abide by Muslim law "Totally", with no Deviation.

When a Muslim come to a Christian Country, we are all still expected to abide by "their", customs.

Man when you visit another country, you abide by their laws sure, thats a given. But you don't try to take your laws there.!!

I remember an incident when i was working security at an airport, an Visiting Muslim family approached me, they were a little lost & wanted directions. I made the mistake of looking at the mans wife instead of him as i gave them directions.

Servisive to say, I nearly died that day, all because I broke some mulsim law in my own Christian country...lolol

A Muslim can burn a Christian Holy Bible, on the streets of islamic cities and we think nothing of it.

But if a christian maked even a slightly derogative comment about islam.. its like "Jihad, JIHAD, JIHAD"...

Muslims are arrogant & far too sensitive & far too easily offended!

They need to lighten up a little.

[edit on 27-11-2007 by Ironclad]

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Probably already been said(i only skipped through the thread),but why is it absolutely fine for Muslims to call their sons Mohammed,but not OK to call an inanimate object(teddy bear/statue/whatever) the same name?

Because its an honour to be named after the prophet, but to name an effigy/representation of another object after the prophet is offensive.

Its the same lines as "not bearing false witness" and "thou shalt not worship idols or false gods" as stated in the bible.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

Because its an honour to be named after the prophet, but to name an effigy/representation of another object after the prophet is offensive.

Its the same lines as "not bearing false witness" and "thou shalt not worship idols or false gods" as stated in the bible.

LOL hey you know what..
I just got a new Puppie.
Guess what I've decided to name him....

Anyway, although i am making myself look like a racist... i assure you I am not.

I don't mind islamics, as long as they are not like totally fanatical "hey I feel just as strongly about Fanatical Christians too"

Many of my friends here in AU are muslims. But most of my mates who are muslim, have intergrated into our sociaty "as they should if they are comming to live here". We go out, we get pissed, we let our girlfriends go outside by themselves wearing mini skirts.

And while i agree that if i were to visit a muslim country, i'd be expected to do the same & intergrate, some laws are just too silly to follow.

[edit on 27-11-2007 by Ironclad]

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by planetfall

There's really nothing wrong with Islam as a religion.

but for the fact that allah demands this to be a muslim world, and infidels must either be converted, or killed. its very simple.

ready to convert, infidel? (apparently, conversion is no guarantee... would you like to sit in the sunni or shiite section, good sir?)

perhaps this might help open a few complacent eyes:

Actually this is a misconception. The Koran actually states that the death of ANY individual diminishes ALL.

What is read and printed now is a bastardization of the original text.

right, whatever could have given me that impression... oh! i remember!

The Qur'an:

Sura (2:191-193) - "And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution [of Muslims] is worse than slaughter [of non-believers]...and fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah." There is a good case to be made that the overall context of these verses is defensive war, however, there are two worrisome pieces to this passage. The first is that the killing of others is authorized in the event of "persecution." The second is that fighting may persist until "religion is for Allah."

Sura (3:151) - "Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority". This speaks directly of killing Christians, since they believe in the Trinity (ie. what Muhammad incorrectly believed to be 'joining companions to Allah').

Sura (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"

Sura (8:39) - "And fight with them until there is no more persecution and religion should be only for Allah"

Sura (9:5) - "So when the sacred months have passed away, then slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them captives and besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush, then if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, leave their way free to them."

Want more? Theres plenty for everyone, it's quite a read!:

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Hmm,and who was it who originally decided that its not allowed to call things the "M" word?
Was it Mohammed himself,or someone in religious authority who came along after and decided on this rule?
Just tryin to get my head around it is all...
I bet that poor teacher did not do this with any malice,and she certainly does not deserve to be scarred for life with a whip.
I hope she gets out OK.
If she is mistreated,our government should step in-after all isn't this oppression of women one of the reasons used to demonize our latest enemies in the "war against terror?"

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacenickoy

i hope that when that asteroid is eventually on a path with our tiny blue pearl we have no way of deflecting it and the scum that is our race finally gets finished off for good>

Keep talking like this and you will become one of them.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join