It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Teacher Faces 40 Lashes for Naming Class Teddy Bear 'Muhammad'

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

He asked if there were laws w/in the Quran (Islam) that condone whipping.

There are.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
And I seriously doubt that she KNEW that letting kids name a teddy bear w/ this name would be breaking some law. Give me a break

Not according to the BBC article:

"Certainly she is also very worldly wise and she is obviously aware of the sensitivities around Islam."

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Interesting link about Blair, God and The Iraqi War.
findarticles.com...

Iraq is not a Holy War and no-one has ever tried to portray it or sell it as such here in the UK.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
But it's happening, so why are you defending it?

I have never defended it. The bottom line is the law and what is punishment of that law.

Here we have incarceration. Sometimes the death penalty (which is done as humanely as possible as oppossed to the death penalty in some Middle Eastern countries).

We don't lash. We don't hang (well, not anymore...see above about humane). We don't chop off hands, fingers, toes, tongues etc.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff

But it's happening, so why are you defending it?

I have never defended it. The bottom line is the law and what is punishment of that law.

Here we have incarceration. Sometimes the death penalty (which is done as humanely as possible as oppossed to the death penalty in some Middle Eastern countries).

We don't lash. We don't hang (well, not anymore...see above about humane). We don't chop off hands, fingers, toes, tongues etc.

Humane eh?

www.ccadp.org...

Frying you until blood pours freely from your mouth and nose, your eyes melt and you're still not dead?

[edit on 26-11-2007 by mr-lizard]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Do you think that most foreigners realize that in many states here, they legally can be arrested for performing certain sex acts? I think not.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Mohammed is a way of life in Islamic countries. Whether you as an outsider thinks it's desecration or not is immaterial, to people of the Islamic faith it is. I live in Texas and have never traveled to an Islamic country, and even I know it's bad mojo.

Peace

link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

And again I say context is key. This is what he posted, verbatim et literatim:

If you want to say this is due to Islam, then show us where it says this is a punishment in Islam. Show us what Islam has to do with this, and then you can use your old tired line of how "this is another example of how Islam is a religion of love and peace."

Which was posted in response to what the OP typed. Please, re-read the post. You're a smart woman, don't make these sort of mistakes.

link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

No, I asked for the OP to show me where this was a punishment in Islam, i.e. I was looking for them to show me something that says "If you name an inanimate object "Muhammad" you get 40 lashes."

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
though the Sudanese theocrats want to make it such.

Let's reverse this and step into other's shoes for a minute.

If the US punished a Muslim for naming something after Jesus, would you be defending their actions?

Or would you be claiming "see how loving the Christian religion is"?

Not picking on you beachcoma. I mean you as in general "you".

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Not according to the BBC article:

"Certainly she is also very worldly wise and she is obviously aware of the sensitivities around Islam."

I have been wondering about this. If I were living over there, I know I wouldn't even utter the word Muhammad. let alone name something after him. Including children or myself.

[edit on 11/26/2007 by Griff]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

I'm not defending the Sudanese theocrats actions. I've said on this thread at least three times (as far as I can remember) that they're in the wrong. So your question is not applicable. What I'm doing in this thread is defending against the broad-based accusations that this is due to Islam.

But let's just entertain your hypothetical situation for a moment. I'd say the same as I did about the theocrats -- that it's wrong.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

Why would anyone want to live there when this is how they treat people who try to help them, regardless of religion.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Frying you until blood pours freely from your mouth and nose, your eyes melt and you're still not dead?

I'd say that's more humane than stoning someone to death out in the streets. Want to get into a pissing match about who is more barbaric. I garantee Islamic countries will loose.

www.apostatesofislam.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff

I'd say that's more humane than stoning someone to death out in the streets. Want to get into a pissing match about who is more barbaric. I garantee Islamic countries will loose.

www.apostatesofislam.com...

Not really, because I wouldn't want to offend you by comparing your supposedly free state to a third world country...

But don't tempt me.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Not really, because I wouldn't want to offend you by comparing your supposedly free state to a third world country...

But don't tempt me.

That's quite funny comming from someone living in Big Brother UK. But, we're getting off topic.

BTW. What does third world countries have to do with barbarism? Do we see these types of things comming from Honduras?

[edit on 11/26/2007 by Griff]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Niall197

Will that make any difference? I mean, don't get me wrong, if I was her i'd expect the British consulate to get me the hell out of there at the first sign of danger. But would they actually be able to overrule the police over there?

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

Do we see high school massacres and drugged up teens on anti-depressants in Honduras?

Nope.

What's with the Big brother state by the way?

I must have missed that.

[edit on 26-11-2007 by mr-lizard]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   

And this has to do with Islamic law being barbaric how?

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Quite off thread, but let's face it, we each hve our problems.
Completely irrelevant to this thread though.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   

What's with the Big brother state by the way?

I must have missed that.

How many times a day are you filmed again? Can you own a firearm?

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join