It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Teacher Faces 40 Lashes for Naming Class Teddy Bear 'Muhammad'

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by mr-lizard

Quite off thread, but let's face it, we each hve our problems.
Completely irrelevant to this thread though.

I agree wholeheartedly and if you've seen some of my posts (especially the ones about tasering) you'd see that I have as much problem with our ways too.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

Yeah, I see that, but I didn't post my agreement with you on that simply because it was completely off thread.

Neither The UK or USA is perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but, and it's a big but in my opinion, we are a damn sight better than the vast majority of countries and socieities.
We do not (any more) use religion as an excuse to committ acts of barbarism.

We are much more sophisticated nowadays and use things like democracy and morality to impose our beliefs.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah

Originally posted by LDragonFire

Well yet another example of how Islam is a religion of love and peace.

How about this is another example of how ignorance blames Islam, and uses to old "This is another example of how Islam is a religion of love and peace."

If you want to say this is due to Islam, then show us where it says this is a punishment in Islam. Show us what Islam has to do with this, and then you can use your old tired line of how "this is another example of how Islam is a religion of love and peace."

ok ok So I misquoted the leader of the free world but George Bush did say this about Islam:

"I have assured His Majesty that our war is against evil, not against Islam. There are thousands of Muslims who proudly call themselves Americans, and they know what I know -- that the Muslim faith is based upon peace and love and compassion. The exact opposite of the teachings of the al Qaeda organization, which is based upon evil and hate and destruction."

Remarks by President George W. Bush and His Majesty King Abdullah of Jordan
The Oval Office, Washington, D.C.
September 28, 2001
thewhitehouse

And he said this:

"This new enemy seeks to destroy our freedom and impose its views. We value life; the terrorists ruthlessly destroy it. We value education; the terrorists do not believe women should be educated or should have health care, or should leave their homes. We value the right to speak our minds; for the terrorists, free expression can be grounds for execution. We respect people of all faiths and welcome the free practice of religion; our enemy wants to dictate how to think and how to worship even to their fellow Muslims."

President George W. Bush Addresses the Nation
World Congress Center, Atlanta, Georgia
November 8, 2001

Hmmmm describing some countries as well as terrorists
and there is more:

"The Islam that we know is a faith devoted to the worship of one God, as revealed through The Holy Qur'an. It teaches the value and the importance of charity, mercy, and peace."

President George W. Bush's Message for Ramadan
November 15, 2001

Show me just one example around the world where Islam has spread any peace? They have brought riots to France, they have brought suicide bombings to Spain and Britain, and New York and Washington D.C. They have marked authors, and cartoonists for death. The middle East has been one war or atrocity perpetrated by Arabs Vs. Jews since the new Jewish state was made[I'm not saying that one side is guilty, they both are guilty] and it was only a matter of time till there conflict spread worldwide.

If I recall right it was Christian organizations that were the first responders to the Tsunami that hit a Muslim country, so much for charity.

But please do excuse me for labeling a barbaric act as barbaric...!

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff

Originally posted by mr-lizard
What's with the Big brother state by the way?

I must have missed that.

How many times a day are you filmed again? Can you own a firearm?

ooh because being filmed really hurts

have you ever actually been to the UK? it's not how you think, we don't actually have cameras right in our faces on every street corner 27/4. and the Men in Black don't sit there tracking us all day, any cameras in cities are watched by the police to watch for fights, etc breaking out.

as for firearms, yes we can own them as long as we have a licence and a good reason. unlike America, thinking you're a big-shot cowboy who reaaaalllly needs a gun to fit in and feel like a real man doesn't count as a good reason...

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
If naming this teddy bear Muhammad is an insult to Muhammad, well why then is every one and his brother named Muhammad, its a bloody teddy bear and it was one of the children that named it and it was reported by one of the teachers to the head mistress, personally i think this is all down to her being English and politically motivated, as for those that turned up at the police station causing a riot over it are the extremists who give there religion a bad name, what i want to know is where are there religious leaders who could stop this nonsense if after all say Islam is about peace ?

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
reply to post by greeneyedleo

No, I asked for the OP to show me where this was a punishment in Islam, i.e. I was looking for them to show me something that says "If you name an inanimate object "Muhammad" you get 40 lashes."

UH WHAT!!!!!

It's there Law not mine!!!

I have nothing to do with there laws, religion or there benevolent charity!

This is the way they wish to enforce their laws, why ask this of me?

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   
It wont be long before someone finds this thread in a search engine and lables it racist. I would be very careful what you say on here !.

I try and stay free of religion because i dont believe its really relevent in todays society but i have my own opinion on the subject and will not express them here because i just dont like to think that my views my influence anyone, you have to make up your own mind.

while its interesting discussion, i doubt some others may think the same.

just by 2cents

[edit on 26-11-2007 by scepticsRus]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Many here are quick to defend Islam, personally I don't have a problem bashing them or any other religion, they are but tools for population control based on fear and intimidation.

Islam in My Honest Opinion is the worst, and to prove it, can any one hear Name 5 Islamic holy men/women that promotes Peace Love and Charity or Compassion throughout the world?

CAN YOU NAME JUST ONE!

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

I can see the point that you are trying to make, but i would really let it drop. I'm pretty sure that most of this thread will be pretty close the T&C's
of this site.

And before anyone else says anything, im not putting my head in the sand, i just think that this is a pretty delicate subject and one that needs to be addressed in a calm civil manner without anyone getting angry/agressive. like i said in my previous post, we dont want this thread or this site to be flagged as racist and im afriad that this thread may venture down that road sooner or later

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by scepticsRus

I can see the point that you are trying to make, but i would really let it drop. I'm pretty sure that most of this thread will be pretty close the T&C's
of this site.

And before anyone else says anything, im not putting my head in the sand, i just think that this is a pretty delicate subject and one that needs to be addressed in a calm civil manner without anyone getting angry/agressive. like i said in my previous post, we dont want this thread or this site to be flagged as racist and im afriad that this thread may venture down that road sooner or later.

Agreed, But it is so hard to believe that we are all human and we can be so far apart, based on some old books.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   

I know what you mean but history is history, no matter how hard we try we can never get rid of it. Those books mean different things to diferent people; to some they mean a way of life, to others a way to make money, to others a long lost way of life that had meaning that they dream of getting back someday to others its a way to oppress others in the community an give a 'master/slave' relationship.

hope that makes sense !

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by scepticsRus

I have seen absolutely nothing in this thread that could be construed as racist.
Definition of Racism
en.wikipedia.org...

This thread is about Religion, not racism!!

Is this the position we find ourselves in? Scared to express our opinions because we are scared to be labeled?

I despair for this country!!

[edit on 26-11-2007 by Freeborn]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MGauntz
I can name things every religion has done terribly. No one comes on top in this debate.

Go ahead. List 5 things from this year where Catholics, Protestants, or Jewish people have arrested anyone on such menial charges, and where young men of said religion have gathered to shout death threats.

I'm curious.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

you may not see anything thats racist but others may find something. others may not even bother to read the entire thread but only pick on specific comments made as an example, its easy to misconstrued whats being said and change it to mean something different.

This kind of discussion is the type that people will pick up on just to make a point.

I agree, its getting like we cant express what we think in public anymore, everyones walking on egg shells around religious subjects because they are afraid of saying the wrong thing and thats not how it should be..... but at the minute, at this time ..... it does appear to be the case.

remember, to some people religion and racism are interchangeable and after a while loose there meaning.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
If angry men have gathered outside, then don't blame their religion, they are angry, they are obviously mistranslating the situation

Thats classic..

Where is islamic-rage-boy !!!!!11 Halp!! Infidelz mak him rage agin !!

They may be angry young men who have got the wrong idea, but I don't doubt at all that they would stone this woman to death if this mob mentality DID get it's hands on her.

It's not anything new.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Whilst I undestand the point you are trying to make that is more the reason to continue expressing one's opinion, regardless of viewpoint.
Free born? Never? Why do we hold on to the illusion?

Islam and Christianity cross over racial barriers. (Possibly one of the few positive's of either religion!)
No-one has expressed any opinion that expresses any views of racial superiority on this thread.

I will always express my opinion, no-one will suppress me.
I will also stand up for your right to express yourself, even if I disagree with your viewpoint.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Islam is completely out of control. How can anybody - of any faith - justify this?

I lived in a city in Alberta during middle school which had a large muslim population. Out of the 10 muslim children I knew personally, four of them were named Mohammed. It's a very popular name in the islamic world evidently. Are these crazies going to imprison the parents of these children as well?

This woman obviously wanted to help these children learn. That was a misguided mistake in my opinion. Leave their education to the mob of men gathering outside the jailhouse where she's being held, and get her the hell out of there.

If you're a non-muslim person living in the muslim world, I recommend you do the same. These people are out of their mind.

Some people would have us believe that islam is the religion of peace and love - nothing could be farther from the truth. Meanwhile, the most powerful country in the muslim world - Saudi Arabia - has imprisoned a rape vicim for nothing more than having been raped.

The same thing is happening in islam today as had happened in Christianity during the middle ages.

[edit on 26-11-2007 by Monger]

[edit on 26-11-2007 by Monger]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   

while i understand what you are saying and agree to some extent i just dont think that this is the site to do it on.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   

What, ATS is not the place to enter into respectful discussions on current world affairs, the pro's and con's of organised religion or how organised religion through the ages has been used as a tool to control populations?

With all due respect, I suggest that the ATS which you subscribe to is quite different to the one I do.

[edit on 26-11-2007 by Freeborn]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Fair comment, this is a public discussion board and you should be able to express your thoughs as you wish, what im saying is discussions like this can quickly turn ugly and before you know it the entire thread collapses because of sensless name calling etc .......

This is a subject that can and will provoke a response from people who may not be able to be civil with other posters on certain topics.

I can just see the T&C's police running riot on this thread thats all.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join