It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Teacher Faces 40 Lashes for Naming Class Teddy Bear 'Muhammad'

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Do you think it's safe to say that this is putting the cart before the horse? Nothing has happened to this woman yet. But some are all up in arms about the "40 lashes", which HASN'T happened. Did anyone take the time to read the article that mr_lizard provided? Do so, it has far less spin on it than the one in the OP and a lot more meat:

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
besides you haven't replied to my arguement of your cops tazering women in wheelchairs to death.

The difference is that it is NOT law to tser someone to death. It's just stupid cops. In Sudan, lashing IS law. See the difference?

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Hi There,

This is the side of Islam I will not accept, not only of Islam, but all fundamentalistic doctrine and dogma from any religion...no! I will not give it tolerance! To do so would be to encourage it, and to give it a respectability on a par with the other more moderate aspects of religion that preach a creed of peace and brotherhood...that, I will respect and tolerate in all forms of expression.

If we rationalise that this teacher ought to have followed the law of Sudan, and respect its religious creed, we must assume by that criterion that she caused this offence on purpose; that she 'knew' how disrespectful it would be to name a teddy bear after the prophet, and thus deserves everything that falls upon her. This is, however, a totally absurd proposition to put forward, none of her Sudanese colleagues warned her of the offence because clearly they saw none. This is beyond injustice. I will not allow myself to see a crime or an offence in the naming of this stuffed toy. It is simply a display of a primitive and medieval creed of hate and subjugation...accept and tolerate this, NEVER! This is another episode of Islamic fundamentalism reeking of hypocrisy. It is okay for them to take offence at the smallest of slights and seek a retribution of appalling condemnation, but we are not to take offence at a crime that the punishment itself would be.

She should be released immediately, receive an apology, and be allowed to come back home, safe and sound...period!

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Can i just point out that NOBODY has been lashed yet.... her other alternatives are imprisonment, a fine or even freedom....

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Thankyou intrepid.

Thankyou.

Obviously I am not happy with the situation, but I for one refuse to join the mindless anti-muslim mob that plagues this site.

A mob acts as a group, I'm an individual, I live very close to that woman and if ANYBODY should be up in arms about this, then maybe it should be me, but i'm not... so kindly release your ego's and let's talk about this sensibly.

thankyou.

[edit on 26-11-2007 by mr-lizard]

link   
reply to post by on_yur_6

No, but we are invading countries to fight terrorism and in the name of freedom still killing people in our path that happen to be muslins and worship Islam.

We are after all a Christian nation.

Don't you find that interesting.

link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Those bombs have not been let off in the name of Jesus Christ or any other God, (just a megalomaniac)

I have never tried to condone Western policy in the Middle East.

What has that got to do with a teacher being prosecuted for trying to educate children and for calling a toy a name that the children wanted to call it?
Again, smoke in mirrors.
It is so easy to try to derail these threads by screaming injustice in the Middle East every time an unsavoury aspect of the Islam religions rears it's ugly head.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Do you think it's safe to say that this is putting the cart before the horse?

Yes. Fox sensationalism at it's best.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff

besides you haven't replied to my arguement of your cops tazering women in wheelchairs to death.

The difference is that it is NOT law to tser someone to death. It's just stupid cops. In Sudan, lashing IS law. See the difference?

Thankyou, so what you are saying is, your stupid cops are acting illegaly!

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Can i just point out that NOBODY has been lashed yet.... her other alternatives are imprisonment, a fine or even freedom....

Yes, for naming a stupid teddy bear Muhammad. A name given to 1/3 of the Muslim population BTW. Let's not forget that when defending this please.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Those bombs have not been let off in the name of Jesus Christ or any other God, (just a megalomaniac)

Was it not George Bush and Tony Blair who told them that 'god told them to do it?', they're Christians last time I checked...

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   

You said our military dropped bombs on hospitals. I wanted to know when and where

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Which has nothing to do with the topic. Let's keep this civil folks.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
We are after all a Christian nation.

No we are not. We may have been founded with Christian morals but we are not a Christian nation.

Maybe the Muslims that hate us so much would be wise to learn this also.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DJMessiah

you posted:

If you want to say this is due to Islam, then show us where it says this is a punishment in Islam

So, I did. I said here is one example.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

You said our military dropped bombs on hospitals. I wanted to know when and where

uk.search.yahoo.com...

www.wsws.org...

www.informationclearinghouse.info...

"HRW has written multiple studies about the dramatic harms caused by the use of cluster bombs during the previous US-wars of Irak, Kosovo and Afghanistan. At least eighty U.S. casualties during the 1991 Gulf War were attributed to cluster munition duds. More than 4,000 civilians were killed or injured by cluster munition duds after the end of the war."

Please read them before choking up another half arsed response.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   

That would be one way of putting it. But, it is not in our law books that tasering is a punishment for ANYTHING. Other than the cops can and do use it to control the uncontrollable. Sometimes it goes bad. Sometimes it's the stupid cop's fault. Still doesn't mean it's our law to taser someone as punishment for anything.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

A simple process of deduction?

More like a simple process of ASSUMPTION.

And I seriously doubt that she KNEW that letting kids name a teddy bear w/ this name would be breaking some law. Give me a break

Do you think that most foreigners realize that in many states here, they legally can be arrested for performing certain sex acts? I think not. However, according to your opinion....all foreigners coming here should know ever flippn law on the books....and the intrepration of such laws.

Not possible.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   

That would be one way of putting it. But, it is not in our law books that tasering is a punishment for ANYTHING. Other than the cops can and do use it to control the uncontrollable. Sometimes it goes bad. Sometimes it's the stupid cop's fault. Still doesn't mean it's our law to taser someone as punishment for anything.

But it's happening, so why are you defending it?

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Context is key, greeneyes.. that verse is about punishment for adultery. Not for naming a teddy-bear Muhammad. There are no such laws. It's not about Islam, though the Sudanese theocrats want to make it such.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join