It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surviving a Zombie Outbreak

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Justsomeguy15

No way man; too cold and inhospitable (sunburn and frostbite), too little food/water available, too many people with the same idea in too little space, no resources for anything except stonebiting... I'd reconsider this, if I were you.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
What I would do if there was a Zombie out break is Break down my front and back stairs to my house. This would stop them from coming up and getting inside my house. Second thing I would do is hook up some sonic dishes or speakers out the windows and front and back doors. 3rd I would play certian sound frequencies through these to see what effects it has on the zombies.
Hitler experimented with this in the 40's

It is knowen that certian electronic sound frequencies cause mental distruption and body disorientation + muscle spasms.

Lastly I would set up a camp on the roof top of my house, And use morse code and UHF to radio my where abouts for rescue. And at night times shine a torch through a telescope so get attention.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by Nathan267]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I guess my plan would depend on what type of "Zombie" I'm facing.

Though I assume by the OP, and general posts, that the zombie threat is the classic Hollywood zombie- Not the new aged, "Infected" version as portrayed in the 28 days saga.

I would certainly never fortify myself in any one location- As zombies would quickly surround the building, no matter how large.

And where we find one zombie, we find another, and another- Knowing there's a food source within a confined location, the zombies would form a large horde making escape from your newly created "Safe house" impossible.

I would likely attempt to move around, as much as possible.
Granted I would find secure places to sleep and/or rest, but I would never remain in any location longer than twelve hours.

If the situation was, that rescue was a real possibility- Then I might consider holding up in a Wal-Mart or Costco (Not a shopping mall, simply too large with too many entrances and exits.) However, if rescue was out of the picture, I would likely set sail in an attempt to find a small island.

Hopefully if the island was populated at one point, the inhabitants would be fine- Though a small population of slow moving zombies could be dealt with I believe.

Anyways, if they were quick zombies, I'd kill myself.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Zombies, my area of expertise

First, collect survivors and shoot any infected in my way.

Second, find a temporary shelter, arm all survivors with guns and preferably tactical armor. Find some vehicles and form a ragtag motorized unit. With trucks, you provide a mobile platform to shoot from and you can out run any zombie horde.

Third, move on to offensive tactics. Any survivors who want to escape can get kicked off of my truck. Zombie survival is once in a lifetime and I'm not going to waste it by running away. Crank up the heavy metal and proceed to take back the city while burning everything in my path, why waste a perfectly good nuke?

Left4Dead says it best: "Curing the infection one bullet at a time"

[edit on 8-8-2009 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi]

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
OKay so Ive heard a lot about the island theory, ten there were those who said te zombies could walk along the ocean floor, welllll.............lets say you and as many survivors as possible look a yacht far out to sea, like mid atlantic abyssal depth far.

One: The supplies would be plentiful, when they ran out, they could (for a brief time) send scouts to shore to locate and return food, fuel, medical supplies, entertainment sources, and perhaps more survivors.

Two: You would be damn near safe from the zombies (unless they somehow learn to fly) because at te depth the ocean would be at, te pressure would compact, crush and otherwise spaghettify the zombies. If they were somehow able to survive this they wouldnt be able to make straight back up to the boat.

Three: With a zombie plague on the loose, what better way to live out what could be your last days on a cruise boat with pools, arcades, and enough cool stuff to keep the zombies off the minds of the young, the affraid and the mentally unstable.

Four: Somewhat unlikely but if further coordination was possible multiple boats could assemble into one large super boat that could open things up more and be more enjoyable.

Also: Ive heard the moaning factor multiple times here, though its also been stated they dont breathe, without oxyen you cant produce sounds with your vocal choards, which also could be missing or decayed so my ocean theory is even more likely.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
Zombies, my area of expertise

First, collect survivors and shoot any infected in my way.

Second, find a temporary shelter, arm all survivors with guns and preferably tactical armor. Find some vehicles and form a ragtag motorized unit. With trucks, you provide a mobile platform to shoot from and you can out run any zombie horde.

Third, move on to offensive tactics. Any survivors who want to escape can get kicked off of my truck. Zombie survival is once in a lifetime and I'm not going to waste it by running away. Crank up the heavy metal and proceed to take back the city while burning everything in my path, why waste a perfectly good nuke?

Left4Dead says it best: "Curing the infection one bullet at a time"

[edit on 8-8-2009 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi]

Where do you get the nuke, and how do you detonate it from a safe distance.

Why use a nuclear device?
You still need there to be enough brain trauma to kill the zombies.

What good will tactical armor do, other than weigh you down?
One bite is all it takes.

With no power in the cities- Or anywhere, gas pumps will no longer work in gas stations.
Where do you get the gas for this convoy of death?

The key to surviving the zombie outbreak is survival.
Not some balls to the walls attempt at whiping them out, with a rag tag group of survivors- Most of which, will be untrained on proper use, cleaning and firing of a weapon.

The goal is to outlast the zombies, and survive to rebuild when they're gone.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisBenoit

Nuke is the stereotypical contingency plan in zombie media. If you think about it, it is indeed the most effective way to clean up the problem. If you really want to survive a zombie outbreak, then you better move your ass or you're going to get bombed by your government.

Zombies can't bite through tactical armor, now can they? Tactical armor also makes you clearly visible to other survivors and if they are hostile, then hey, you got armor. And who knows, maybe there can be worse than just zombies.

Who said there would be no power? Even if the main power grid goes out (unlikely because it can be controlled from a secure location), then we can make our own via generators, batteries, etc, and that's considering if we need power at all. Vehicles would be stacked up all over the place for easy picking.

I've cruised around in multiple truck "convoys" before, crammed in the back with a dozen other people just to go up the mountain to start a bonfire and get drunk for the night. Then next week, regardless if it's -40*c or +40*c out, we do it all over again. That's the Canadian dream

I don't know about you, but I grew up in the bush and I can survive easy without the things that regular people take for granted. Experience and state of mind is what makes the difference between life and death. I am trained and experienced with guns. I'd even have some right now if my government didn't dick me around with my license.

Survival is the best experience ever and I hate the fact that I am now stuck in a city with thousands of idiots waiting to join the army instead of out by the lake with my knife, fire and booze. I used to hate small town life until I moved to the city where people care about the stupidest #.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I disagree that power would last. The controls might be in a secure location, but I don't think anyone would be manning them. Everyone would be trying to get back to their families. They're automated to an extent, but that automation isn't perfect or nobody would have to work for the electric company.

In many rural areas (here anyways,) the power lines are above ground on poles. If one pole gets taken out, an entire neighborhood goes dark. If it's a main line, an entire small city can be blacked out. The ones who lose power will be the lucky ones. The unlucky will get hit with the power surge when their power plant generates enough energy for 100,000 houses and sends it down the remaining lines to 1,000. Then, even though they might still have generators, they might lose their appliances.

In the end, it's that ruggedness you spoke of that would determine who lasts and who perishes.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
My hometown is a small town with a major electrical/hydro plant about 20km deeper into the wilderness. Apparently it used to be the largest of its kind in the world some time ago, and the Canadian military would even send troops down to defend it during times of war or terrorism. It even supplies power all the way down to California.

You're right about power going out easy if a pole gets taken out, but IMO there's a good chance that it wouldn't happen. I know that the hydro plant near my town is automated and the only people who go in there are the occasional engineers and maintenance workers. Anyone else can have fun getting through the electric fence

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Never underestimate the destructive capacity of thousands of dumb, panicky, stupid people who are fleeing for their lives... They're probably more dangerous than the zombies.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Plus a helmet?

If you get close enough to zombies that armor IS needed- I doubt you'll be getting out alive.

The horde would surround you, that's how they work- Numbers.

And in a state of emergency like the walking dead- I wouldn't rely on power grids staying up.

Again I'll state, that nuclear weapons would not be the best way to combat zombies.
Unless you cause sufficient head trauma, the zombie will survive.
Sure, a nuclear blast would kill plenty of zombies- But a nuclear weapon is far more dangerous to what we're trying to preserve- Life, as opposed to the enemy.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Zombies are just a product of the virus, it's the virus that needs to be erradicated via nuke. You can't just kill off all of the zombies and move everyone back into the city since they'll just be infected again by something like fleas.

Zombies can be destroyed in other ways than just destroying the brain. Some zombies in the media seem to have unreal abilities... In my opinion, zombies would require the exact same body functions to keep them operating that humans do, the brain being the supreme motor function command.

I used to be really hardcore on zombie theory back when Resident Evil was a respectable horror game series, but now I'm focusing more on the survival state of mind.

EDIT: If you want total coverage, then you should probably be wearing a helmet and gas mask, plus an entire NBC suit. Personally I'd be fine with protection from bites to the arms, legs and neck area. If I became infected I would have no problem blowing my brains out anyways.

[edit on 12-8-2009 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
This Is A Cool Thread. So Much That I Hit My Boy With Some Of The Perks On Myspace. . ."He Likes Zombies" lol I got Sumptin for his " " And It's not A Shotgun. . .j/k but he will like. Good Post.

rehab

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Good lord friend, learn the proper use of capitalization! ;-)

As far as armor goes, I think protecting your hands and face are the most important concern. You can never have 100% protection from anything, the key to survival is always to maximize your odds. Some puncture resistant gloves, thick leather gauntlets, and a paintball mask should protect you from a good percentage of zombie bites and most blood splatters.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Yes, I agree that an "Infection" is the only realistic way for zombies to occur.

And a nuclear blast is not the proper way to go about dealing with that, either.
Nuclear weapons aren't used today to destroy H1N1, or the plague, are they?

Regardless, this thread is seemingly based around classic zombies, my friend.
This is why I'm calling your posts into question.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisBenoit

Regardless, this thread is seemingly based around classic zombies, my friend.
This is why I'm calling your posts into question.

I'm fine with either zombies, the only difference is how aggressive they are. The more aggressive the enemy, the more aggressive your response. With classic zombies, I guess you can be fairly casual like in the original Dawn of the Dead.

My response to modern zombies, fully equipped with guns, armor and vehicles is simply viewing zombie crisis as a war (like the book "World War Z" which sadly I have yet to read). In that book, zombies basically spread all over the world and they are fought by the armies of the world. Civilians end up moving to locations to escape, like Northern Canada or in large ship fleets on the ocean. Apparently after the invasion passes and the world changes, the survivors take back their cities through force.

Personally if I had the choice I would definitely nuke cities to contain the zombie thread. Does it sound like too much? Not to me. If zombies spread out of one city, then they can spread to dozens of others. In order to save the lives of millions, you might have to vaporize thousands; it's necessary and unavoidable.

To me, sending in cleanup teams is just giving the zombies more brains to munch on. Though if I was already caught up in the infection, I would do what I can to destroy as many of them as possible. Guns are the easiest things in the world to use and zombies are the easiest things to shoot as long as you don't let them trap you.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

You say you would nuke the cities where the infestation was highest! What about if you were a survivor in that city doing your damnedest to reach safety. Sneaking through empty buildings and alleyways to avoid the masses of dead who would be roaming the streets in search of food. You finally hole up in a building to regain your strength, it's only a couple of miles to the city limits and from there on in it's open countryside. You allow yourself a wry smile. It looks like you've survived and then you see the tactical nuke arch over head heading for the city centre. . . How pi**ed off would you feel then?

Surely you would have to give a warning? Perhaps someone with a loud speaker in a low flying helicopter could tell of the governments intentions to nuke the city. . ? Maybe tell any survivors below where pick up points are located so that they can be saved. . . You have to give survivors a chance- don't you?

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

You're just being thick man.

You can't combat zombies head to head, because one bite from the "New zombie" (28 weeks infected type.) is all it takes.
Even a bit of their blood getting into your system.

If you close with that kind of enemy, when one of your men go down- The rest are sure to follow.

And even with the new infected, massive head trauma is still required to kill them- Unless, of course, you wait for them to starve.

Which is what they did in the original.
They waited them out, and quarantined them- Which makes the most sense.

I can see now you're just trying to express how your "Zombie wet-dream" would run, rather than a semi-serious discussion on an unrealistic threat.

EDIT: Had to add,
If you nuke a city, you're causing irreversable damage, creating radioactive dead zones.
So, you want, what?
A pile of radioactive rubble that was once a town?

GG zombies.

[edit on 13-8-2009 by ChrisBenoit]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Exactly, So considering that you will lose if you go one on one with a zombie, you will probably lose in the long run, soooooo your best bet would be on a mega cruise liner, which would be about the only feasibly safe place on earth at that point. Then you could just wait for them all to eat each other or decompose.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Yeah I Like To Play With My Words, That's Why They Are ReHaBzWuRdZ Not Yours, But On A Good Note I To Think Any Movie Zombie Is A Lie To What Real Zombies Would Be Like. . .Just Bad All Around. . .That's Why Their Is A Big Genra,

ReHaB

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join