It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kerry Says Military Servicemen Stupid

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheTraveler
firebat,
What world are you living in?
That would be the planet Earth... any other brilliant questions?

Kerry should have apologized imediately[sic] for the error instead of trying to cover it up by blaming it on a poorly executed joke.

Cover what up? That he was trying to make a joke about Bush? Why cover that up? Anyone who gets their news from a source other than Fox knows damn well what Kerry meant... it's so immature of you people to blow it out of proportion like this, whining about something that he wasn't even implying.

Kerry's obviously a doofus who wouldn't know suave if it bit him on the nose... so call him out for that. A bad joke, admittedly... but if there's anyone who deserves to be joked about, it's Bush. The only thing Kerry has to apologize for is his responding to the critics in the first place who are so desperate to keep the Republicans in office, they'll flat-out put words into the the mouths of people they're not even running against. Pathetic, yet predictable.

I'm glad he's not our president.

Me too.

[edit on 3-11-2006 by firebat]

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I think Kerry was attempting a double entendre, intending to both disparage the troops and Bush. When he got called on it, he went with the botched joke about Bush excuse, which is incredible, given the fact that someone who unintentionally offends, usually will immediately apologize for having offended, even if he stands by the intent of his statement.

Kerry's excuse fails on all counts.

An honorable and innocent man would have immediately understood the error and immediately offered a humble clarification.

I guess, at best, we can conclude that humility is not Kerry's strong suit.

[edit on 2006/11/3 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
If he was trying to make a joke than so was the preacher at my grandfathers funeral. That was a concocted excuse to justify his slip up.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I think Kerry was attempting an double entendre, intending to both disparage the troops and Bush. When he got called on it, he went with the botched joke about Bush excuse, which is incredible, given the fact that someone who unintentionally offends, usually will immediately apologize for having offended, even if he stands by the intent of his statement.
Yep... you got it-- Kerry calculated that he could gain more support for the Democratic Party by intentionally INSULTING the American troops... what a crock, and you know it.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
This topic is a classic misquote. Kerry (whom i am no big fan of) absolutely never said military servicemen are stupid. This is classic neo-con contorsionist spin.

What Kerry WAS implying is that if bush were better educated, then perhaps he would not have been stupid enough to wage a pre-emptive war against Iraq for no particular reason and no end in sight.

Is the Bush administration really so stupid that they fail to realize that Kerry was calling them stupid? and not the troops?

Or do they know full well thats what hes saying but they decided to play classical 'Rove politics' and distort the truth to the point of being totally FUBAR?!?!

I entirely reject the premise that Kerry was implying anything negative about his blood brothers (which Bush said screw you to when he dodged the draft). Even if that were Kerry's intention, im sure there are plenty of soldiers in Iraq looking at what a quagmire it is and while they are dodging bullets wondering why the hell they are over there, many of them have said, "Man, i wish i went to school so that i didnt have to deal with this $#!7!!!!"

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   
An hey, maybe its not such a hot idea to join the military while a Bush is in office!

[edit on 3-11-2006 by sp00n1]

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by sp00n1
This topic is a classic misquote. Kerry (whom i am no big fan of) absolutely never said military servicemen are stupid. This is classic neo-con contorsionist spin.

What Kerry WAS implying is that if bush were better educated, then perhaps he would not have been stupid enough to wage a pre-emptive war against Iraq for no particular reason and no end in sight.
Any idiot would realize this... amazing how stubborn these boys are, that they would deceive themselves to believe the crap that they're spewing.

Is the Bush administration really so stupid that they fail to realize that Kerry was calling them stupid? and not the troops?
Yes, they are that stupid but they certainly realized Kerry wasn't intentionally insulting the troops.

Or do they know full well thats what hes saying but they decided to play classical 'Rove politics' and distort the truth to the point of being totally FUBAR?!?!

Of course they know it.... as does everyone on this forum. It's a no-brainer.

Desperation is setting in...

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by firebat
]Yep... you got it-- Kerry calculated that he could gain more support for the Democratic Party by intentionally INSULTING the American troops... what a crock, and you know it.

You're being naive. Kerry has been disparaging troops for three and a half decades.

They told the stories at times they had personally raped, cut off ears, cut off heads, taped wires from portable telephones to human genitals and turned up the power, cut off limbs, blown up bodies, randomly shot at civilians, razed villages in fashion reminiscent of Genghis Khan, shot cattle and dogs for fun, poisoned food stocks, and generally ravaged the countryside of South Vietnam in addition to the normal ravage of war, and the normal and very particular ravaging which is done by the applied bombing power of this country.

www.richmond.edu...

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   

The issue isn't what he says he meant, its what he actually "said". He should have apologized sincerely for his mistake.

[edit on 3-11-2006 by TheTraveler]

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   
firebat, (and everybody else)

you guys all really need to check out this other topic on 'political bias'.

Brain scans reveal that political bais equally affects everybody on both sides of the aisle. Democrats and Republicans are equally adept at ignoring cold, hard facts!!

They lie to themselves and their brain's reward centers release massive amounts of dopamine giving them a euphoric high reward.

No wonder we're in so much trouble!

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   

The issue isn't what he says he meant, its what he actually "said". He should have apologized sincerely for his mistake.

yea, and what he said was that bush is poorly educated!

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I'm quite familiar with those studies and reading through the threads on ATS each day, I can only confirm those findings.

People believe what they want to believe.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   

It isn't a misquote. That is what he said.
Now, is that what he actually meant? THATS where the spin begins.

Now about this neo-con contortionist spin.

I would call it a repolarized liberal spin. They learned from the best!

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Funny, I've listenend to the sound bite and watched the video numerous times, I never heard "Bush" anywhere in the supposed joke. You guys just don't get it Its the words that actually came out of his mouth that are the issue. NOT what he meant to say!

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Traveler, I have no issue with people wanting Kerry to apologize for what he said... he unintentionally offended and like you said, he should have apologized for it much quick than he did.

But that doesn't change the fact that the Republicans are clinging to this issue, misconstruing what actually. He simply misspoke... If their collective panties are really in such a bunch, fine... demand for Kerry to apologize. But don't lie and say he intentionally insulted the troops when he obviously didn't... that's even more atrocious than what you're accusing him of.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Funny, I've listenend to the sound bite and watched the video numerous times, I never heard "Bush" anywhere in the supposed joke. You guys just don't get it Its the words that actually came out of his mouth that are the issue. NOT what he meant to say!

That's PRECISELY the problem... you only listened to the soundbite.

Given the greater context of his speech, it's quite obvious that he was making a joke about Bush.

[edit on 3-11-2006 by firebat]

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   

I entirely reject the premise that Kerry was implying anything negative about his blood brothers (which Bush said screw you to when he dodged the draft).

Blood brothers!

I just love that!

You are either extremely young or completely out of touch with reality.

See my post above.

John Kerry went to Vietnam and used every excuse he could to get enough Purple Hearts to leave ASAP and then he couldn't wait to disparage the troops, all the troops, before Congress. John Kerry is a traitor.

GW Bush may have dodged the draft, but then so did I.

I enlisted in he USMC at seventeen and didn't have draft card until I was twenty-two.

GW Bush enlisted in the Air National Guard.

You need to do some research.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
What I'm saying is I don't care if he was insulting Bush. The words he spoke were insulting to the military. And that is the issue. What he said even though he may have been trying to insult Bush came out wrong and he insulted an inocent group. Politicians swapping insults is one thing but slamming the military in time of war is just wrong even if he didn't mean to. Personally I think that is why the US had so much problems inVietnam but thats another discussion.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   

What I'm saying is I don't care if he was insulting Bush. The words he spoke were insulting to the military. And that is the issue. What he said even though he may have been trying to insult Bush came out wrong and he insulted an inocent group.
For which he definately should've apologized for.

slamming the military in time of war is just wrong even if he didn't mean to.
Again, he didn't 'slam' the military... he slammed Bush. He just didn't do a good job in choosing the right words to convey the joke. The troops know damn well what he meant by it and I'm sure aren't too worried about it. The only ones worried about it are you, trying to make a big deal out of nothing.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
He said something about Bush briefly before the offending statement and changed gears so to speak before saying the supposed joke. There was a distinct change of subject.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join