It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kerry Says Military Servicemen Stupid

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
We are supposed to interpret his statement as a slam at Bush, when he didn't mention Bush's name once in his "botched joke".

His statement implied that he was talking about the troops, not Bush.

Read what Grady wrote about his statements about VietNam.

Top Democrats, the National Commander of the American Legion, and the troops interpreted it as a slam on the troops:

And he didn't even have the decency to apologize in front of the press. Instead, he posted an entry in his blog.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I'm out of here. I tried to explain the best I could why people are upset over this. I hope it brought more understanding to the subject.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Wow, I can't believe how long this thread is. How can this thread get to be this long? I don't understand why everybody is making such a big deal about this. It's all you hear on news radio. He's a politician. Politicians are idiots and quite often stick their feet in their mouths several times over. I think what he said was insensitive and I can't stand the guy, but for crying out loud! Why is this such a heated topic?

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   
It's election time.

That, plus the eyes of the world are on Iraq.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheTraveler
I'm out of here. I tried to explain the best I could why people are upset over this.
You've explained why YOU'RE upset at this... very few others are, including the military.

This is not a big deal... what IS a big deal is Republicans making a mountain out of a mole-hill, accusing someone who served in the military of intentionally insulting that same institution.

The bottom line is the Republicans have very little ammunition left in their box... they're resorting to more desperate measures, including stooping to a new low of accusing their opponents of being against the troops.

How about this... John Kerry apologizes for his ill-worded joke and the Republicans apologize to the families of the two thousand dead American soldiers who gave their lives for a mission built around lies.

[edit on 3-11-2006 by firebat]

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Can't we just all agree that politicians are idiots and move on?? This thread is starting to not even sound like ATS anymore, just a political rant.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I think there's a social psychology lesson here.

For myself, I'm disgusted by Kerry and discussing his motives in this matter is interesting. There are also tangents to the subject.

If I thought that Kerry had just misspoken, I'd let him off the hook in a heartbeat. He's got enough mud on him already, in my book, but by my observation, he said exactly what he intended to say and given the opportunity to display some character, he just flopped.

That's what they call him, you know, Mr. Flip-flop.

[edit on 2006/11/3 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Yes, I agree with you Grady (which I find myself doing often) he is a hypocrite and a disgrace to the democrat party. I guess I just find myself wondering why is such a big deal made of this? Why is it all I've been hearing on the radio when there are so many other things that are more important? Yes, I know it's election time and maybe people are dumb enough to get caught up in the rhetoric, but it's not a presidential election. We're not voting on Kerry. I'm certainly not going to let some stupid comment that comes out of that moron's mouth pursuade or disuade me from who I want to vote for. Maybe I'm just too easy-going to understand all this.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by LogansRun

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies

As far as I'm concerned they did it to serve their country and for the benefits, not to serve under a "corrupt" regime as you so put it. What national government isn't corrupt?

Nothing you've said is justifyable in my eyes.

Shattered OUT...

Irrelevant, as Bush has done nothing but destroy the very roots of what make this country great. Patriotism died when Bush was elected, then was reborn on 9-11....but not for long, it was then shot dead again when we went to Iraq.

I think patriotisms lowest common denominator is that you have to have something to believe in. At this point Americans have been disillusioned to the point that they (lots of us) don't believe in our country.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
That's what they call him, you know, Mr. Flip-flop.

Seems like a good time for some advertizing.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Stillz

Strangely I can understand that...

Yet, a lot of us do.

Still very strongly.

Many of us get up everyday and go fight the fight because we believe in that wonderful, elusive and strange thing called our country.

Just take a look at what ADVISOR is getting ready to go do..

That is the single most prevalent thread in this "thread."

A lack of resect for those that serve so that others don't have too.

Zed!!!!!!!
You crack me up!!!!

Semper

[edit on 11/3/2006 by semperfortis]

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by firebat

Originally posted by semperfortis
I will also admit, neither is making idiotic statements.. Republicans have made their fair share as well.

Examples?

Are you kidding? THE GOOGLE....

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   

A lack of respect for those that serve so that others don't have too.

Definately a stimulating thought for the day. Thanks Semper.

Those that serve, deserve our gratitude and respect no matter what. Kerry shouldn't care about the media, the Bush statements, or anything else. He should have ONLY cared what those that serve thought about his statement.

What's done is done. In hindsight, I'd have said and done a million things differently. I give Kerry the benefit of the doubt, but it's a shame he didn't realize that his response COULD have gained him vast amounts of respect from people that hadn't taken him seriously before.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Stillz

Strangely I can understand that...

Yet, a lot of us do.

Still very strongly.

Many of us get up everyday and go fight the fight because we believe in that wonderful, elusive and strange thing called our country.

Just take a look at what ADVISOR is getting ready to go do..

That is the single most prevalent thread in this "thread."

A lack of resect for those that serve so that others don't have too.

Zed!!!!!!!
You crack me up!!!!

Semper

[edit on 11/3/2006 by semperfortis]

I still feel strongly for our country, but it gets difficult when there becomes a ton of conflicts of interest which compromise the integrity of our country. We are all (Americans) in this together, and it takes alot of everything you got to keep fighting the good fights. Someday, I hope, we will become the United States, that our forfathers dreamt we'd be.

PS what did advisor do??

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by tha stillz

I will also admit, neither is making idiotic statements.. Republicans have made their fair share as well.

Examples?

Are you kidding? THE GOOGLE....

I'm fully aware of the Republicans' idiotic statements... I just wanted to hear this Republican say for himself just what 'idiotic statements' the Republicans have made as many people seem to like to insert little lines like "I, personally, am against Bush BUT...." and then proceed to repeat, verbatim, the Neocon agenda. Democrats do it too and it's a common tactic to make it appear like one is coming from an objective point of view when they're actually not.

Of course, there certainly are exceptions.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I'm fully aware of the Republicans' idiotic statements...

Gotcha. out of contex I understood. IMAGINE THAT?!?

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   

PS what did advisor do??

Went back into Active Duty.......

HHHOOORRRRAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!

What an American Hero..

Advisor Call To Duty

ADVISOR's Going

Semper

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I don't know Advisor... but I now know all I need to know about him.

I wish him good luck.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I'm quite new to this forum and have enjoyed reading the ebbs and flows of this protracted thread. I happen to feel that Kerry is a dispicable human being and he undoubtedly has an underlying disdain for American troops, though I think the lamely delivered joke was mainly directed at Bush.

What I find most interesting in this thread is the great outrage posters express concerning the Conservative/Republican use of Kerry's idiocy to further their own agenda.

Do any of you that are so outraged about the Republican response actually believe that Liberals/Democrats wouldn't do exactly the same thing if the roles were reversed? I'm sure if this was a Republican mistake, a Democratic President would anounce, "Hey everybody, don't blow this out of proportion. He was making fun of me, not the troops. Let's forgive and forget."

I doubt it.

Kerry was stupid for trying to tell any joke with Iraq as the punchline given his personality and history, and even more stupid for not apologizing for blowing it instantly. The Republicans are only using his stupidity against him. Wasn't he trying to use the President's perceived stupidity to further his own agenda by telling this lame joke? He brought this on himself, and they will hammer him until they think they can't get anything more out it.

His side would do the same thing. It's called American politics.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
In my opinion John Kerry said this simply to give more of an approval rating, they both were in the S&B and had to have been friends, wouldnt it make since to help Bush if you were asked to, take one for the team, Republican and Democrats are equally currupt and both stand for the same horrible ideas and beliefs...

John Stewart for President
Steven Colbert for Vice

and we would live in a perfect world

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join