It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kerry Says Military Servicemen Stupid

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 06:06 AM
link   
In a Political statement alleged by Kerry to be a criticism of President Bush, John Kerry alleges that the Military is where one goes when they do not "study hard" and "do homework."

www.ft.com
While campaigning in California, the Massachusetts senator told a college crowd on Monday: “You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don’t, you get stuck in Iraq.”
~~~~~~~
George W. Bush on Tuesday seized on Mr Kerry’s remarks: “The senator’s suggestion that the men and women of our military are somehow uneducated is insulting and shameful,” said the US president at an election rally in Georgia. “The men and women who serve in our all-volunteer Armed Forces are plenty smart – Senator Kerry owes them an apology.”
~~~~~~~
John McCain, the leading Republican contender for the 2008 presidential nomination and - like Mr Kerry - a veteran of the Vietnam war, also responded strongly: “The suggestion that only the least educated Americans would agree to serve in the military and fight in Iraq is an insult to every soldier serving in combat.”

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

John Kerry's comments are consistent with his continuing criticism of the Military he supposedly so proudly served. Again using the Military as his sounding board, Kerry either uses his service to promote his agenda, or criticize his opponents depending on his forum of listeners.

This should come as no surprise as the same Kerry accused soldiers of committing war crimes in Vietnam and again in Iraq. The remarks are drawing a large amount of disapproval from Democrats who are scrambling to distance themselves from Kerry.

When called upon to apologize, Kerry attempts his usual cover-up by attempting to make the claim the remarks were only a criticism of the President.

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com
www.telegraph.co.uk

apc

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   
When I first heard the audio I knew he was really trying to insult Bush's intelligence, not our troops. But it was also obvious how the majority would interpret his words. Who knows, maybe it really was a Freudian...

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
This is going to have repercussions on the election. Watch and see what I tell you.

[edit on 1-11-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 12:58 PM
link   
He was playing to his audience. Kerry is a political whore. He will say and do anything if he thinks it will get him votes. If he thought it would get him elected President in 2008, he'd be in a dark cave with Osama and a couple of goats in a heartbeat.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Am I not right in thinking that the US Army actively recruits from the lower end of the educational spectrum by promising scholarships to youths from disaffected neighbourhoods?

Maybe this is what Kerry was referring to, because if you are smart, you work your way out of the doldrums and find a career. Sure some people actively seek out army postings, but when your only choice to get out of a hell hole is with a uniform on, then some people are going to take it.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Maybe this is what Kerry was referring to, because if you are smart, you work your way out of the doldrums and find a career.

When reading the full quote in context it seems fairly clear that Kerry was attempting to call Bush et al stupid. Anyway, I agree with you. That isn't to say everyone who enlists does so for that reason... not by a long shot. However, especially under the Bush regime and staggering recruitment numbers we've been forced to not only accept, but actively recruit the lowest common denominator.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   
People this is the october surprise get it!!!!

Now when the elections comes out with the Congress still Republican no body can blame the machines because it will be Kerry's fault.

I can wait to see what happen on Nov. 7.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Lame..

From what I got from it, this was an attack at Bush, plain and simple.
I don't think there ever was an October surprise.
Just more Left and Right rabble-rabble-rabble..

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   
semperfortris you should be ashamed of yourself. Sen Kerry di NOT insult our troops. People have inferred from his statement that he was demeaning the troops but he did NOT say that. I'm not defending Kerry or anything about him but the fact is his statement is NOT whatr many are ascribing it to be.

At the risk of being flamed by people who are incapable of reading past the emotional context of the issue I'd like to offer a slightly different perspective.
What he essentially said was that if you (the college students that he was addressing) didn't study hard and excel in college that they could end up stuck in Iraq. Keep in mind, Sen. Kerry's frame of reference comes from the period of the war in Vietnam. During that time there was a draft in place. There was a national lottery and every draft-age male received a number according to their birthday. People were called-up according to their number. Other than medical deferments, the only way to stay out of the draft was by virtue of a student deferment. And to keep your student deferment you had to keep your grades up. If your number was low enough and your grades slipped low enough for you to lose your student deferment you'd be called-up.

With the war in Iraq grinding on and increasing calls for more troops, these people are going to have to come from some where. As has been pointed out, there are alot of well educated people in the active military. But as has also been pointed out, the bulk of the boots-on-the-ground regular military didn't get there by dropping out of Harvard Law to serve their country. There are 9 people in my extended family that are or have recently served in Iraq or Afghanistan in the regular Army. In every case college was not an option and they joined because they felt the military was the best available option for them.

What Sen. Kerry said was not particularly well word-smithed. Personally, however, I don't believe he would say something to demean the troops. He was attempting to demean the administration and didn't choose his words with enough care.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I think people who are saying that "this was an attack on Bush" are using Kerry's excuse as evidence. That was exactly what Kerry's excuse was... "Oh, but I,I,I was attacking Bush not our servicemen." Yeah, okay!! If you read it;he's quote implies exactly what the OP said.

[edit on 1-11-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I was really shocked when I heard that little blip on the morning news.
I know I shouldn't have been, that was really very naughty! I too think it will have an effect on the Dems. He may have been trying to insult Bush, but it wasn't Bush that WAS insulted

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I for one believe Kerry when he says it was a botched joke. I've seen the tape a number of times and I would assume it's on youtube by now...anyhoo as I was saying, I've seen the video a number of times and it's very obvious (at least to me) that he stumbles as he begins the anecdote and you can tell right there that he's flubbed the thing but continues on because most politicians - no matter what they'd like us to think - do not think very well on their feet.

He had a prepared speech and just kept going after the flub.

The thing I found most offensive was the President's speech yesterday when he slammed Kerry for degrading the military. Simply because Kerry's statement about the flubbed joke had been released about an hour before the speech and in my opinion there is no way the President's staff hadn't seen it...since it was broadcast on both Fox News and CNN before the speech.

So instead of giving Kerry the benefit of the doubt he went out and slammed it even though he knew the statement was a flubbed joke aimed at the President himself, not the military.

Why was this offesive? Simple. President George W. Bush is personally responsible for the mutilation and even death of thousands of innocent quotes, phrases, stump speeches and addresses.

These poor, innocent statements had done nothing to this man yet somehow he felt compelled to murder them...usually in front of the press.

So let us all take a moment not to throw scorn in the direction of either Kerry or the President, but instead bow our heads in a moment of silence for all those poor quotes, phrases, speeches and statements that gave their lives so that we may have something to post and argue about.

Spiderj

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiderj

The thing I found most offensive was the President's speech yesterday when he slammed Kerry for degrading the military. Simply because Kerry's statement about the flubbed joke had been released about an hour before the speech and in my opinion there is no way the President's staff hadn't seen it...since it was broadcast on both Fox News and CNN before the speech.

Spiderj

Some people are offended by anything Bush does. However, the fact is,Bush isn't the one who made the comment. Kerry was!!

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Honestly, he was trying to jab at Bush saying when you don't get a proper schooling, you go to war or something like that. The problem is he screwed it up just as Bush does many times in his speeches.

And just as people jump on Bush and insult his intelligence when he messes up a speech, this is now payback time. They are like a dog with a bone and won't let go.

People have taken many words and actions Bush has made out of context, so it seems the message is turn about is fair play...although Kerry doesn't see it that way and now he's getting personally upset. He's made plenty of digs at Bush and this one backfired.

“I’m sorry that that’s happened,” he said of his comment. “But I’m not going to stand back from the reality here, which is, they’re trying to change the subject. It’s their campaign of smear and fear

This is a good example. Insulting people's intellegence repeatedly is not smear? Is what Kerry is doing that much different under the guise of a joke (and he's made others over the last few months)?

We can look at ATS as an example. They should BOTH discuss the issues, not personally insult each other. We know GWB's plan and he hasn't changed his course. Now Kerry just needs to layout his plan. Something he hasn't done, which I think really cost him last time.

BTW - He's here in Seattle today and at a conference, he said he wanted to make it "crystal clear" he apologises to no one. He saying he is sick and tired of "dispicable Republicans" and gave a 10 minute speech. He said the poicy sucks...but he never once said what his plan is going to be.

He was asked what he wasw trying to say and he basically said those that didn't get schooling got us into Iraq. Then he said America is sick of these types of politics.

Break that down: You're idiots, but hey...stop the name-calling.

How messed up is that message?

One side supposedly lies when they speak and the other side just won't speak. Crazy.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Um Speaker I think you missed this part of my post:

by me spiderj
Why was this offesive? Simple. President George W. Bush is personally responsible for the mutilation and even death of thousands of innocent quotes, phrases, stump speeches and addresses.

I know it's a passionate topic but if you had read the entire post before responding you would have seen my reason for being offended was not because Bush slammed Kerry at all.

Spiderj

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
at this point , I must point out that according to published results , GW Bush reciefed better accademic grades than Kerry - and earned an MBA - a more prestigious degree than kerry .

and yet kerry chooses to mock bush for accedenic failings . ROFLMAO

hmm..... ape smells the pungent aroma of sour grapes

maybe mrs hienz can bottle it - and sell it as whine vinegar

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I've seen it all now! Kerry fouls up and it is Bush's fault. Kerry can't even get an insult right and Bush gets blamed for it.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
at this point , I must point out that according to published results , GW Bush reciefed better accademic grades than Kerry - and earned an MBA - a more prestigious degree than kerry .

and yet kerry chooses to mock bush for accedenic failings . ROFLMAO

BINGO!!!

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   

“You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don’t, you get stuck in Iraq.”

www.msnbc.msn.com...

It wasn't a botched joke. It's how Kerry really feels about those who serve in combat. It's why he claimed every scratch as a wound and got the hell out of combat as quickly as he could. It's why he came back to the States and called veterans of the war in Vietnam murderers and rapists.

Kerry sucks big time. He did in Vietnam and he did after Vietnam and he still sucks.

Oh, that's not a botched joke.

And furthermore, as there is no draft, those who serve in Iraq are not high school dropouts and those who lost their college deferments, as was sometimes the case with those who served in Vietnam. Today, those who serve in Iraq are 100% volunteers.

[edit on 2006/11/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
How interesting to see how all of you are falling for the division propaganda, we have been play with, deceived and the only ones that look ignorant in this nation is us the people of this nation.

What a shame.

But this is what we have become. A two party elites with not choices but the ones fed with propaganda as which one is the better choice.

pity, because it makes no difference at all they all come from the same group and serve the same master.

Is not worthy to vote anymore in this nation.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join