It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "ATS Skunk Works" Forum: A Place Where Ignorance is King???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mezzanine
Personally, I can not stand the Skunk Works forum; In most cases I honestly believe it should be called "The forum for nut jobs, over-imaginatives, and people who do alot of drugs".

Ignorantly calling out ignorance is no better. Over-Imaginatives? I can agree to that, but it is most certainly a compliment. This is certainly the most frustrating Forum on ATS, but I personally love it. Rarely do I find a thread in there that peaks my interest, but when I do it is the most enjoyable experience. (Maybe second to Social Issues)

Whats wrong with thinking outside the box?

Ken Lay's death is BS!
JFK Doodle Predicted "9-11 Conspiracy"

My personal favorite:
The Shooting of John Lennon

Some of these have been great threads. Idea is alittle off the wall, but it makes for great discussion.

In my opinion, most of the threads in Skunk Works are truly detrimental to the Conspiracy Theory / Alternative Research community because of the fact that there is no evidence at all to support these theories.

I respect that people have these opinions, and I think its cool that they have been given a place to voice these theories, however if someone is looking at the site for the first time, and they dont realize that Skunk Works is for stuff that is not verified in the least, than it can make all of us look like cranks.

So this is based on an opinion of an outsider who has no idea how the site operates? Why would that opinion carry so much weight? ...Never judge a book by its cover?

Remember the thread, "Princess Di was killed by a Vampire!"? That's the kind of thing that I'm talking about. Looking through Skunk Works you see so many things that just make you scratch your head and ask, "Where in the hell did that come from?"

Exactly. Who the hell comes up with this !? Do I agree with the message? Not a lick most times, but when I give it an opportunity I find myself having a great discussion with members who are willing to debate the cause. Other threads can get ridiculous, where a member posts an absurd statement and is not willing to back it up. Just lashes out when someone doesn't agree. Threads like this should not ruin the whole forum, because there are a few hidden gems within the Skunk Works Forum.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Exactly.

i feel better that at least one ATSer agrees with me

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   
TSA,

I see your point (and agree to a certain extent) but.....

The great thing about the Skunk Works forum is it's a catch-all collecting place for all such threads, leaving the other forums more pure.

....this is also a good point.

I'm sure it can be a bit frustrating for a writer (like yourself) to see these threads which offer zero evidence, poor speculation, poor writing ability, and random nonsense. A real messageboard EYESORE if you will

I recently joined ATS in august and I'll never forget the thread "Brock Lesnar An Alien??" in the UFO-Alien forum. Apparently the member thought he had seen Brock Lesnar (a former WWE wrestler) briefly turn into a grey alien shortly before he was struck with a steel chair.

I guess I was looking for more scientific/spiritual threads on UFO-Aliens. Talk of aliens participating in predetermined wrestling entertainment wasn't what I had in mind.

Perhaps that particular member should have elaborated on the WWE-UFO connection. I.E. All suitable wrestling arenas were used up on their own planet so they came here.... and he could have posted it in Skunk Works!

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   
If I'm not mistaken, a LOT of people thought Columbus was a "NUT" job as well as he sailed over the edge of the flat world...

Wright Brothers
Devinci
Galileo

Perhaps even in Skunk Works one may find some fascinating facts...

Semper

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
If I'm not mistaken, a LOT of people thought Columbus was a "NUT" job as well as he sailed over the edge of the flat world...

Wright Brothers
Devinci
Galileo

Perhaps even in Skunk Works one may find some fascinating facts...

Semper

Yes, because the guy who thinks that Princess Diana was dragged out of that tunnel in Paris by Dracula, or the dude who suggests that Brock Lesner was an alien have so much in common with Galileo.

Have any of you ever stopped to consider that maybe people make up insane stories and then post them in the skunk works forum just because they think that they might be able to persuade people into believing the most ridiculous thing ever?

In fact, I can guarantee that if I were to take the time to come up with something ridiculous and post it in Skunk Works, I could convince someone that it was all true.

My problem with skunk works is people say, "well you have to have an open mind," but in all reality, if you leave your mind open permanetly, everything is going to fall out.

The only thing worse than a skeptic is a true believer.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Yes, because the guy who thinks that Princess Diana was dragged out of that tunnel in Paris by Dracula, or the dude who suggests that Brock Lesner was an alien have so much in common with Galileo.

i was going to say that

that is so funny and so true

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   
And that is exactly the mindset that has ridiculed foreword thinkers throughout history...

Sorry, but some of the more grandiose ideas and ideological thinking emanate from those that are the most blackguarded members of our society...

I have no idea how much Galileo, Columbus or the Wright Brothers were laughed at; perhaps exactly as much as the members on Skunk Works...

And by the way...

A Closed mind allows nothing in and therefore must by very definition be empty.

Semper

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Taking two absurd threads, and painting the rest of the Forum with it proves what?

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

I have no idea how much Galileo, Columbus or the Wright Brothers were laughed at; perhaps exactly as much as the members on Skunk Works...

Galileo wasn't laughed at...he was imprisoned and then he died. He was labeled a heretic. The Wright Brothers were laughed at by at least one person, Jonathan Winters' dad, who was reported to have said, "there's just as much wind here in Ohio, why'd they have to go to Kitty Hawk?" or something to that effect.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Taking two absurd threads, and painting the rest of the Forum with it proves what?

for the record, i am not trying to prove anything...

i was just pointing out an observation that i made and it is my opinion...

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   
TSA...

That comment was directed towards Mezzanine.

I feel his only defense to this is by focusing on absurd threads and painting the whole forum with their ridiculous intent.. I respect your intentions here although I do disagree.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I like it, it shows you that you can twist a conspiracy theory out of anything if you try hard enough, the human mind is built like that; "Skunk Works" serves as a nice reminder.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
What am I missing here? This thread reminds of someone crying foul because the book of "Obvious Observations" mentions "the sky is blue"...

Wah?

Springer...

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   
We need to place to speculate freely on "what if" so that we might become familiar with the upper limits of "what might be" as a means to better consider "what happened" and "who did it" from a properly inspired perspective.

All conspiracy theory requires some degree of speculation and conjecture based on available information. Approaching that speculation and conjecture with well-exercised synapses is our best weapon for zeroing in on the reality of our topics.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   
i am glad two, out of the three, amigos replied to this thread...

so, for the responses, thanks

my opinion is my opinion and i am glad i can voice it

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 02:34 AM
link   
hey look at it this way, forums like skunk works are much more entertiaining than the weekly world news and cheaper.

of course there are times i feel that way bout 9-11 threads but thats personal bias, at least with them there are members who do raise some great questions and put in a lot of research.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join