It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "ATS Skunk Works" Forum: A Place Where Ignorance is King???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
notice: this is an opinion that i desire to be shared to the ATS universe and i don't desire to change anything...

the "ATS skunk works" forum is described as:

Speculative Conspiracy Theory Discussion and Collaboration.

the keyword there is "speculative"...

take a quick look at that forum...

you will see that, in most cases, there is no supporting evidence for the claims being made in the threads in that forum

because this is ATS (a great site to discuss and analyze alternative topics educationally), i must ask this question:

why on earth is this forum in existence!?!?!?

the easy answer is because it will gather ATSers with specific views about the topics discussed in that forum into one place to discuss what they desire...

on the surface this seems like a great idea...

here is the "kicker:" how can you have a site dedicated to discussing and analyzing alternative topics educationally while having a forum dedicated to "pure unadulterated speculative conspiracy theory discussions"???

i understand that that forum is designed for speculation but, to me, the idea harbours ignorance

does anyone else feel this way???

i apologize if this seems like a "rant," but i am serious about these words that i have said...

i also apologize (if i have to) to skepticoverlord, springer, simongray, and any other ATSer that was responsible for the creation of that forum, your hard work is appreciated by me as always...

my words aren't unsupported though, take a look at that forum to see the kind of threads that are there...

i could post some here but i would rather save the creators of those threads the embarrassment (no harm intended)...

i had this on my chest for a while now and i just wanted to get it off...

[edit on 24-10-2006 by they see ALL]

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   
OK, did you u2u any of the Admin or submit a Complaint before posting this?

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

no

i am particularly interested in if any other ATSers feel the same way as i...

what do you feel about the topic???

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Shouldn't this be in BTS?

Actually, 'Skunk Works' is one of my favorite forums.

I love it when a member who is usually among the first to cry "DRAMA, DRAMA", creates a thread that's chock full of it.

Peace

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
I love it when a member who is usually among the first to cry "DRAMA, DRAMA", creates a thread that's chock full of it.

i love drama...

but, there's none in here (and i hope it remains that way so i will not respond to your other comments)...

all that is in here is my opinion (as stated in the first post)...

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

no

i am particularly interested in if any other ATSers feel the same way as i...

Why?

what do you feel about the topic???

I think SO said it better than I could:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 02:15 PM
link   

you will see that, in most cases, there is no supporting evidence for the claims being made in the threads in that forum

You are so right. The evidence in all the other forums is MUCH more solid, like the ones about aliens orbiting Saturn, the ones about the Reptillians, the ones about Psychic Vampires, the ones about how so-n-so is in contact with the Galactic Council, the ones about Indigo Children, the ones about mind-controlling chemtrails...

Yep. Staggering.

Come on, TSA, you can't seriously be calling Skunkworks out on "proof" when every single forum on ATS has thread after thread of BS. I've read one thread that said, right in the subject line Proof Positive of Alien Comms, and you know what the proof was? The guy had closed his eyes and meditated. Wow... Mind-blowing. Has someone called CNN yet?

Now this isn't to say there's not a lot of really good, deep, insightful, and terrifying truths found on ATS each day, but you gotta wade through a lot of speculation to get to it.

At least Skunk Works has the decency to use the word "speculative" in their description.

[edit on 10/24/2006 by thelibra]

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
Now this isn't to say there's not a lot of really good, deep, insightful, and terrifying truths found on ATS each day, but you gotta wade through a lot of speculation to get to it.

At least Skunk Works has the decency to use the word "speculative" in their description.

true...

but, i am willing to bet, that there is more "evidence" in these other forums than in the "ATS skunk works" forum...

at least, in some cases, the threads in other forums have a link or two that briefly support a bit of what is being discussed in those threads in other forums...

my example of a typical "skunk works" post is:

"hey guys, there is a war raging on mars right now. i really hope that the humans win. oh, evidence you want? just look up in the sky with telescopes!!!"

and, sometimes, evidence isn't even talked about, ATSers just agree

i know what you are saying thelibra and i like your points you made...

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Why?

must i answer:

because i am...

I think SO said it better than I could:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

i know what he said, as i have read that post and linked it in my original post here...

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   

but, i am willing to bet, that there is more "evidence" in these other forums than in the "ATS skunk works" forum...

Well, did you read the sticky at the top of Skunkworks?

(Mods, for the sake of clarification, please allow me the luxury of a long quote.)

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
The ATS Back To Basics Campaign

This is a new initiative kicked off by this Skunk Works forum to have a dedicated place for ATS members to engage in speculative conspiracy theory discussions of all topics, angles, and targets. Our regular ATS forums have long since evolved into excellent zones of critical thinking and analysis that often either reveal or discredit many conspiracy theories. This attribute of ATS is certainly an important factor of our growth as we're the largest "alternative topic" discussion board by a major factor.

However, the skeptical and often intense nature of our regular forums can often be an intimidating environment for members with conspiracy theories based on more loosely connected tidbits of information (or even pure speculation) than is typically expected of posts in our main forums. Skeptical analysis and fact checking is certainly a cornerstone in the art of "Denying Ignorance", however, as the wonderful Mr. Einstein once said, "Imagination is more important than knowledge." The true denial of ignorance must also include and often embrace even the most fanciful exaggerations of possibilities in order to understand and explore the upper limits of what might be possible.

That's SO's very own words. The entire point of the Skunkworks forum is to speculate on conspiracies with little to no evidence or fact-checking. What you are crying out against is the very thing that Skunkworks was intended for. What you are doing would be similar to complaining about "all those posts about Grays" in the Aliens & UFOs forum. I'm not saying you're incorrect, I'm saying the complaint itself is, to be honest, a tad pointless.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   
The great thing about the Skunk Works forum is it's a catch-all collecting place for all such threads, leaving the other forums more pure.

So...if you're not interested in those types of threads just ignore that forum

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
The great thing about the Skunk Works forum is it's a catch-all collecting place for all such threads, leaving the other forums more pure.

Exactly. The Skunk Works Forum can act as a filter on some of these conspiracy theories our members come up with.

I've had some great discussions in the Forum. I remember a thread discussing the death of Paul McCartney in the 60's and how The Beatles single handedly introduced drugs to American culture. Alittle far fetched, but it made for a great discussion.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Uhh....

Yea, that's the whole purpose of that forum. The very definition of "speculation", is to form a theory without firm evidence...which is exactly what is happening. Actually it would be kind of nice for the people who really just have "theories" to post in there, without getting immediately bashed by other members because they can't provide proof (which is what happens in other forums constantly). That's the nature of a conspiracy "theory", and of this website.

Most of the stuff in there is pretty ludicrous, in my opinion, but some of it is interesting. Hence why I usually do not read that forum. It's pretty easy to do the same if you don't like it. And if you do like it, then go ahead and read it. Pretty tough, isn't it..

[edit on 24-10-2006 by Shoktek]

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I don't have a problem with Skunk Works. It is what it's advertised to be, I guess. "Back to Basics," is not exactly how I would describe the forum, but what the hey?

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Well, did you read the sticky at the top of Skunkworks?

of course...

The entire point of the Skunkworks forum is to speculate on conspiracies with little to no evidence or fact-checking.

i know this...

I'm not saying you're incorrect, I'm saying the complaint itself is, to be honest, a tad pointless.

it's not really pointless, as it is my opinion...

i am glad i can voice it with little "heat" here on ATS

Originally posted by djohnsto77

i do, but i know i shouldn't...

i believe i shouldn't because i want to experience all of ATS, and not just certain forums that i agree with...

Originally posted by Shoktek
Yea, that's the whole purpose of that forum.

again, i know this...

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
"Back to Basics," is not exactly how I would describe the forum, but what the hey?

i would agree with you here...

i didn't say this in my original post because i feared that it would make some ATSers angry...

just for clarification:

i am not complaining, i am just voicing an opinion / observation that was brewing for quite a while...

to be frank, i am surprised that no other ATSer thinks this way

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
The Skunk Works forum was created for members to post their speculative theories in an environment that allowed other members who were interested in researching the issue and discussing it in a non-attacking mode to participate in actually attempting to build a theory.

Exactly what part of that do you have a problem with? It's a haven for members to speculate. If your main bitch is that there is a forum where you can't rip some one a new orifice, well, you'll have to live with doing that in about 42 other forums.

Seems like a good compromise to me.

[edit on 10-24-2006 by Valhall]

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
The Skunk Works forum was created for members to post their speculative theories in an environment that allowed other members who were interested in researching the issue and discussing it in a non-attacking mode to participate in actually attempting to build a theory.

i am just so used to the way other threads operate...

for example, an ATSer posts something with no supporting "evidence" (which could even be a random link / television show / anything really) and then other members "correcting" this member by pointing out holes in this members' story and adding some facts to the thread...

from what i have seen, "skunk works" operates differently (i am not saying this is bad)...

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Well, at least in Skunk Works you know in advance to put on your gas mask and your hip boots.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Well, at least in Skunk Works you know in advance to put on your gas mask and your hip boots.

and be sure to carry 100 tons of salt and make sure to have an extremely skeptic mind

that was mean, i apologize

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   

You are so right. The evidence in all the other forums is MUCH more solid, like the ones about aliens orbiting Saturn, the ones about the Reptillians, the ones about Psychic Vampires, the ones about how so-n-so is in contact with the Galactic Council, the ones about Indigo Children, the ones about mind-controlling chemtrails...

Yep. Staggering.

Come on, TSA, you can't seriously be calling Skunkworks out on "proof" when every single forum on ATS has thread after thread of BS. I've read one thread that said, right in the subject line Proof Positive of Alien Comms, and you know what the proof was? The guy had closed his eyes and meditated. Wow... Mind-blowing. Has someone called CNN yet?

[edit on 10/24/2006 by thelibra]

Exactly.

Personally, I can not stand the Skunk Works forum; In most cases I honestly believe it should be called "The forum for nut jobs, over-imaginatives, and people who do alot of drugs". In my opinion, most of the threads in Skunk Works are truly detrimental to the Conspiracy Theory / Alternative Research community because of the fact that there is no evidence at all to support these theories.

I respect that people have these opinions, and I think its cool that they have been given a place to voice these theories, however if someone is looking at the site for the first time, and they dont realize that Skunk Works is for stuff that is not verified in the least, than it can make all of us look like cranks.

Remember the thread, "Princess Di was killed by a Vampire!"? That's the kind of thing that I'm talking about. Looking through Skunk Works you see so many things that just make you scratch your head and ask, "Where in the hell did that come from?"

top topics

<<   2 >>

join