It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Member "picklewalsh" banned

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 11:02 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
The only reason I asked was I thought there have been cases of people being banned and being allowed to comeback under a new name.

That may be the case, if it is, we were not aware of the new account name... or alternate arrangements were made with Simon and/or Springer I'm not aware of (damn those two!)

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   
dang, now this post is getting between the 3 amigos.

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
The only reason I asked was I thought there have been cases of people being banned and being allowed to comeback under a new name.

That may be the case, if it is, we were not aware of the new account name... or alternate arrangements were made with Simon and/or Springer I'm not aware of (damn those two!)

just let it go people.

[edit on 20-8-2006 by elitegamer23]

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   

con man
n : a swindler who exploits the confidence of his victim [syn: confidence man, con artist]

The above defination was found at www.dictionary.com , the specific page was dictionary.reference.com...

That was not too hard. You see, I just gave a reference to something I found someplace else. We are ALL supposed to do that.
When you steal from anyone, that is bad. When you steal from somebody who feels a reason to trust you, that is worse. As residents of the society we call ATS, we have rules. All civilizations have rules. Violate them and punishment can follow, as it just did.
I should have paid more attention, but someone, I can't remember who, a earlier used the word "INTEGRITY". If PickleWash truely had any Integrity, it was sorely absent in this instance.
I am now wondering if I have read anything here at ATS from PickleWash that should have been attributed to somebody at another site.
People, we have been RAPED! It was not just rape, PW was one of us. That makes it almost incestuous! Our trust and to an extent, our innocence was violated.
Why are some of you so forgiving? Why do so many victims seem to defend their attackers? These are questions I have asked myself for a long time. I'll probably never know the answers.
By the way, yes, I support the ban.

Just a quick edit to say that I just realized that I mis-spelled picklewalsh 's name. I'll not change anything, but acknowledge my mistake.

[edit on 20-8-2006 by rawiea]

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   
It is always tough when a well known and rather popular member is lost, however.. pickle knew what he did was wrong when he did it and admitted as much.
I did not know him as well as most of you, but I have known close friends who messed up and got themselves banned. It may suck.. but it is a reality of protecting the integrity of the forums and its members as a whole.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
Is that fair, that you give special priviledges to a person who knowingly lied and decieved to the community, on three occasions, before he was finally banned?

Is it right to be strict on members for making a mistake, and not on moderators?

You say that we all contribute and make ATS the way it is, but from your actions, you believe differently then, right?

First off, he didn't contribute at all when he stole from us. That's what's wrong here, not what the mod you mentioned did. That mod played pranks, he/she didn't break the law.

You know, you may contribute a lot to this site, but what good does it do for any of us to contribute at all, when some less-than-sincere human being takes our hard-earned work, and throws it up elsewhere with his/her name on it? That's against the law.

Everyone, you, me, The 3 Amigos, ALL had to agree to the T&C upon signing up here. To break those rules, and then claim ignorance is no excuse for anything. I liken that to taking a gun and shooting someone. When the cops get to me, I tell them that I didn't know that it was wrong.

If he signed up here, then he should know the T&C. If he did not, then it's STILL his fault for not learning them. It's as simple as that. No matter what anyone says, the truth is he broke the rules for no other reason than furthering his own agenda. I say bravo to the 3 Amigos for their valiant effort to DENY IGNORANCE on this most pertinent of issues. I think it an act of mercy that they aren't pursuing legal action against him. Let him live with the knowledge in knowing that these 3 genuinely nice guys let this crime slip off of their backs like so much dead skin. Let bygones be bygones. What's done is done.

Case closed.

TheBorg

Edited for clarity.

[edit on 21-8-2006 by TheBorg]

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Well I dont think ATS admin could have taken any other action other then banning picklewalsh if they wanted the Creative Commons License to have any credibility . The Last thing ATS needs is the unqiue content being riped off by members. The Creative Commons License isnt hard to miss it appears at the bottom of every page.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11

The Creative Commons License isnt hard to miss it appears at the bottom of every page.

Actually, it appears on each and every post and each version is unique. I.e. your post here has this one. Among other things it also includes this:

Attribution. You must attribute authorship of the work to "xpert11; a member of AboveTopSecret.com"

But if you click on the copyright note for my post here instead, it would say "Hellmutt" in place of "xpert11". The post's url and the thread title is also mentioned.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I claim right off that I have very little knowledge of copyright law and common use law. I understand what Picklewalsh did, but was he trying to pass it off as his own work? Or is it understood that since he didn't give the proper attribute he was presenting the work as his own?

Also, there are a lot of copywrited images on the ATS and BTS boards, mainly in the thread catagory titles; e.g. the Muppets Swedish Chef in the BTS Food catagory or Pee Wee Herman's visage in the jokes catagory. How are those able to be used and not a penny be owed?

Please help clarify!

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I've watched this thread for a bit, and I've decided to make my opinion known, as a member of the ATS community, and as a friend of Pickle who enjoyed his humour and his conversation in ATS Chat. I plead to the 3 Amigos to reconsider their position on Pickle, as the firing of a popular member may hit morale among the board, who either have been friends with Pickle, or who are disappointed by his actions, or the severity of the punishment.

Why not ban him for 3-6 months? Is there any possibilty in the near future of Pickle coming back or is that it? I would even offer my points and my place in ATS if it were to reduce Pickle's exile. However, if you do not waver from your collective position, I'll understand. As you have a cheery heart to play the gangrel part, I suppose.

MacDonagh

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by MacDonagh
I plead to the 3 Amigos to reconsider their position on Pickle

No...

Here's a quick look as to why:

Pickle's post:
www.abovetopsecret.com... (no credit to author, copy & paste)
Original
answers.yahoo.com...

Pickle's post:
www.abovetopsecret.com... (takes credit for a song, no credit to author)
Google shows the original here:
profile.myspace.com...

Just a quick look at a few threads he's started strongly indicates that he simply does not respect the author of original content. This is a tendency we cannot tolerate.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   

I've watched this thread for a bit, and I've decided to make my opinion known, as a member of the ATS community, and as a friend of Pickle who enjoyed his humour and his conversation in ATS Chat. I plead to the 3 Amigos to reconsider their position on Pickle, as the firing of a popular member may hit morale among the board, who either have been friends with Pickle, or who are disappointed by his actions, or the severity of the punishment.

For all of the reasons stated above I respectfully suggest that this has been discussed enough, and this thread be locked.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Why not ban their IP address. I guess the current way of banning their username is a major slap in the wrist. BUT, I think the board should check IP's and make sure the person or at least the same internet connection cannot join again.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Then I respect the collective decision of the 3 Amigos. To lose such a character is such a shame though.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I am very sorry to see picklewalsh go. Although I didn;t know him as much as some of the other members, if I saw a post with his name on it I would stop to read it. I think most people did.

At first I thought 'WTF?! Pickles banned? Must be some sort of mistake.' But after going over the pages, it seems that PW did indeed deserve to be banned. He admitted to knowingly plagiarising the site. Although there may be something more to this, at face value that is a bannable offence when done that blatantly with amounts of text that large.

Sorry to see you go, Picklewalsh, and I can only hope to see your writing style around here someday again . . .

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 08:57 AM
link   

To lose such a character is such a shame though.

Character? After seeing the examples posted by SkepticOverlord above, I'd think the matter in most people's minds would be shut and closed.

:shk:

You can't get more blatant than those examples...

EDIT:

And here is one more:

Originally posted by picklewalsh

Here is a FAQ i have made after having allot of people asking me about my religion, enjoy.

Link.

But take a look here.

:shk:

[edit on 21-8-2006 by loam]

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marto_Bagg
Well according to the T&C , ATS gets 2£/$ Per thread view , now think of every thread view everyday that would make a grand easy per day

Read the conditions. It says that if you are a marketer and you create a thread advertising your penis enlargment pills or other product, then you agree to pay up that amount for each page view that your add gets. Its a charge for advertising. Not a charge for each page view. This place making that much money every time the page is viewed would be like saying 'if i had a dime for everytime I heard that one'.

Anyway, I noticed that no one is taking up the previous offer of admiting that they've broken the rules and returned with a new account after being banned. I'd highly recommend that people come clean now in order to work it out.

Alright thx, il tell him that

Its amazing that a person can be banned and still ATS is willing to help them out. And still, its probably going to get taken advantage of.

IF pickelwalsh returns under a new user name, I can only hope that we ban that name, anyone that he communicated with who knew he was doing that, and apply an IP ban to him.

If he wants to be able to lurk on ats as an unregistered viewer, he should give strong consideration to not taking up a new name.

katolu
but was he trying to pass it off as his own work?

It gave me pause at first too. But what he did wasn't just copy one thread, he copied many threads, and attributed not a single one of them, nor included any original material in the posts. He made so that it precisely looked like he himself had created the material, done the research, made the conclusions, etc.

macdonaugh
as the firing of a popular member

Popularity is irrelevant. This is a conspiracy discussion board, not a popularity contest. Lots of people have said great things about pickelwalsh. I barely know him. I thought he was called pickel wash even. His name rarely came up in quality discussions of conspiracy. If he was popular in chat, well good for him, why should that give him a pass to steal conspiracy material?

He made an aggregious violation of basic protocol, not just on ATS, not just in terms of the T&C, but of the internet and the ideal of sharing ideas itself. He stole the work of lots of other people, presented it elsewhere as his own, and did this in order to increase the traffic and popularity of his own board.
And, again, lets remember that ATS knew about his board, and even let him advertise it in his signature, thats a heck of a favour. He repaid it by stealing the material created by our members.

And now we see that he was stealing other peoples work from other sources and presenting it on ATS, even adding his own name explicitly as the author.
How can anyone defend this guy because he is well liked and made some 'good posts on ats', when even those posts are fraud??

The people that claim to know picklewalsh don't even know him, becuase he practically doesn't exist.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Pickle's post:
www.abovetopsecret.com... (takes credit for a song, no credit to author)
Google shows the original here:
profile.myspace.com...

Just a quick look at a few threads he's started strongly indicates that he simply does not respect the author of original content. This is a tendency we cannot tolerate.

I'm sorry if I'm just being blind... I just can't see where ther song is on that page. Could you point it out for me? I really can't disagree with the other link but I just wanna know where he copied it from on the second one.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Who alls work did he steal? Did he steal anything from my bowel movement thread or my Sheryl Crow sucks thread?

Damnit I worked hard on that!!

Peace

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Anything pertaining to your bowels are locked and sealed to be disclosed 50 years from now. Not to worry. You're safe.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join