It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Member "picklewalsh" banned

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marto_Bagg
No, The ATS i knew wouldnt care how info about conspiracy topics got out there ,as long as it got out there

I don't think you realize what it takes to keep this information easily available to the public in such a speedy fashion. As an example the web-host I use charges $374.00 a month for a premium dedicated server. It's my understanding that ATS is running on several dedicated machines like this so the pages will load quickly. I'm just guessing (Because I don't know for sure) but I image that ATS spends up-wards of $1,000 a month just to keep the pages loading. Most likely there are more cost that come up from time to time such as buying new servers and keeping the database indexed properly so it stays speedy. (As in DBA needed)

Is picklewash willing to make this kind of commitment to the members of his forum or would he just shrug it off if the site started getting heavy traffic? Personally I'm not willing to take a gamble that the content I spend time researching will be there from one month to the next. One of the main reasons I post here on ATS is because this place is here to stay and isn't a fly-by-night forum.

A forum like the one picklewash had would not get the information "out there". My best estimate is that it would die a slow death. I've never seen dedication and devotion to a forum the way that SkepticOverlord does it. His technical skills used on this site would most likely cost over $100,000 a year. I don't see this commitment anywhere else and I doubt (no offense to picklewash) that any of us could pull it off so nicely.

As a final thought we've just seen the staff here protect the copyright of all of it's members. At what cost to you I might ask? Zip- zero - none. It didn't cost you a dime more because it's all dedication to something they believe in. Cheers to whoever noticed this, and to the admin for taking care of this so quickly.

Copying without citing ATS....bad
Changing the names of posters when you copy so it looks like you did it all...priceless!

[edit on 20-8-2006 by dbates]

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   
seems like he had it coming to him. I agree with the ban. Nothing personal pickle but you dont get off of breaking the rules just because it was an accident. Sorry it has to end like this but, I guess thats just the way it is.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   
i dont understand why people think plagiarism isnt a major issue. i have an analogy to maybe help you all understand.

ok imagine you have a best friend , lets call him pickle. well he is a great guy, goes to the same church as you, your kids love him , your wife likes him alot, heck even your dog likes him. you and pickle have the best conversations, u go out fishing together, u just have lots of fun with pickle.

well one day you come home early from work and you notice someone drank half your beer and ate all your pork rhines. confused because your wife doesnt like either u decide to go ask her what got into her.

as you enter you bedroom u see what got into her. the most unimaginable sight your eyes have ever been subject to. there is pickle making sweet love to you wife in your bed.

now i ask you, do you try and talk it over with pickle because you really like the guy and hes been your buddy for years? do you try and explain to him what he did wrong and tell him not to do it again in the future. no you kick his ass.

i remember reading post from pickelwalsh and i thought he was a very cool guy. but he stepped out of line when he plagiarized ats material and ats member material.

i cant think of anything else you can be banned for that is more damaging then what picklewalsh is guilty of. ok i hope my anaology makes sense to at least one person. peace

[edit on 20-8-2006 by elitegamer23]

[edit on 20-8-2006 by elitegamer23]

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Dang that was some of my best stuff.
Can I be next in line to hit pickle in the head with an empty beer bottle?

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   
From what I understand he admited to stealing the material and knowing it was wrong, not merely having made an error, and he presented in such as way as if he was the original author in many instances, and all this after using the ATS system to promote his own board, which was merely a mirror of ATS in terms of topics (and apparently, content!).

I think everyone should take especial note of the fact that this banning was actually made public, a thread was specifically created to tell people about it, to explain the reasoning, and to make people aware.

Its practically unprecedented and that fact shouldn't be glossed over.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   

WolfofWar
Multiple Accounts: You will not create multiple user accounts and "talk to yourself".

I can think of almost three people on the top of my head that have multiple accounts here, or, well, some former BANNED members that are back from the dead on multiple accounts.

Who?

Creating a new account to get past a banning is...a bannable offense.

Who has done this?

Perhaps they should come clean to some of the staff members now, at least in u2us, in order to be considered as trying to be honestly contributing members.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
[but I image that ATS spends up-wards of $1,000 a month just to keep the pages loading.

That's not even close.

There's always a great deal of speculation as to what ATS spends on technology... and we've always been reluctant to provide details (for several reasons). But our primary server farms costs much more than that (3 high-end Dual Opteron servers with 8 gigs of RAM), and we do indeed still have a secondary server cluster.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Well according to the T&C , ATS gets 2£/$ Per thread view , now think of every thread view everyday that would make a grand easy per day

you agree that you are responsible for paying AboveTopSecret.com, LLP $2.00 US for each "thread view" of the thread(s) in which your marketing messages are contained

Please correct me if iam wrong

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Please correct me if iam wrong

You are wrong and reading the T&C incorrectly. That portion is design to prevent unsolicited advertsing in posts.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
hey look SO has on the game face, watch out!

man pickle, why ya gotta go and do this? you knew better.

and now who will be there in chat to be all HEY LYS when there is nothing but idolers!?
damn you!

ps: all future martyrs i'm sure there are enough crosses to go around.
and the overlord has a big hammer! just supply your own nails.

[edit on 20-8-2006 by Lysergic]

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I have a question to the three amigos’ and SO.

Was Pickles banned or IP banned?

Would you be willing to allow him to comeback under a different name, i.e. a new account???

Ok, he errored and errored badly, But I would like to see him given another chance-even if it means a new member name/id.

Please won’t you consider this???
Thank you for allowing me to say my peace on this topic-as upsetting as it is.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon

Mon , Pickle has been IP banned

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon

I'm the only person who can impose IP bans, and his IP was not banned.

Would you be willing to allow him to comeback under a different name, i.e. a new account???

If we knew he returned under a new name, it would be unlikely that we'd approve.

Ok, he errored and errored badly

Yes he did.

In the past, on several occasions, we've drawn your attention to other websites that have copied entire threads, or very-large and popular threads. When this happens, the unanimous chorus from members is to fry the offenders with the most terrible of legal retribution.

But here we have one of our own. Someone who should know better. Someone who has spent considerable time under the aspirational motto of "deny ignorance". After all that, he has betrayed your trust and stolen your material and called it his own.

It's unfortunate. But we have always and will always protect the integrity and accuracy of the material posted to this website by our valued members. In my mind, it is the only way to operate an online discussion board. Would you really want us not to care?

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Mon , Pickle has been IP banned

Why are you trying to stir things up? No one said his IP was banned.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Iam not trying to stirr things up i was simply told by the man himself that His IP was banned

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   

told by the man himself that His IP was banned

He's wrong.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Well then how come he cant access the site and to view it he has to do it by proxy?
He even had to ask me this morning to look at his member status for him to see if he was banned!

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Would you really want us not to care?

NO, don't be silly, of course we want and need you/everyone to care.

It is just a very disapointing/upseting situation that I was hoping we could somehow/someway get past.

He is a good guy that did a bad thing, he is not a bad guy-really!

The only reason I asked was I thought there have been cases of people being banned and being allowed to comeback under a new name.
I was hoping this was the case and could be done/done again

I do realize the thread was created to explain to all of us what really happened and why what actions were taken by ATS-BTW-thanks for letting us know-really.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
He probably just needs to clear his cookies. When you still have an active username cookie, and your account is banned, you're unable to see the forums.

As I mentioned above, I'm the only one with access to the firewall and I have not banned his IP.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
He probably just needs to clear his cookies. When you still have an active username cookie, and your account is banned, you're unable to see the forums.

As I mentioned above, I'm the only one with access to the firewall and I have not banned his IP.

Alright thx, il tell him that

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join