It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Member "picklewalsh" banned

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I recant my original post.

Farewell PW, we'll miss you..

[edit on 8/20/2006 by QuietSoul]

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   
the T&C's are really very specific about this matter...

3a) Content Distribution: You will not copy material from these discussion forums to post on other websites or quote in offline research in a manner that does not comply with the ATS Creative Commons Licences that specifies the author's member name as a member of AboveTopSecret.com, includes AboveTopSecret.com, LLP and the member as owners of the content, provides the title of the thread, and a full URL to the board thread.

To think that the action taken today was the result of some revelation the administration just had today is misleading...tt's the final result of much discussion with PW and among the staff over an extended period of time.

When we use someone else's hard work to produce something, it's best to make certain that the original work has been publicly recognized.

If I was to paint a replica of the Mona Lisa and pretend I created it would be an obvious mistake and deemed a forgery. If I had a letter from Leonardo DaVinci saying he said it would be fine for me to do so, my painting, however badly done, would be highly valued because of that letter.

That's basically the difference here as well...with complete permission from the owners of ATS, PW could have created something valued.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuietSoul
All about the $$$

RIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTT!!! Then where's my paycheque.

If you don't like the way things are run here, you can always spend your time elsewhere. That's not a gib, just a suggestion, if you're not happy here.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I don't recall NC stealing intellectual property. This is a serious issue, moreso than a "prank".

Mmm...Knowingly and willingly lieing and decieving members on this site, in my opinion, is a MUCH more serious issue then someone stealing information, apologizing, and taking down when he realized he plagiarized.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar

I don't recall NC stealing intellectual property. This is a serious issue, moreso than a "prank".

Mmm...Knowingly and willingly lieing and decieving members on this site, in my opinion, is a MUCH more serious issue then someone stealing information, apologizing, and taking down when he realized he plagiarized.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it but that's quite a reach, from "prank", your word btw and "Knowingly and willingly lieing and decieving members on this site".

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

Marto
The ATS you used to know encouraged plagiarism? What a bunch of nonsense.

No, The ATS i knew wouldnt care how info about conspiracy topics got out there ,as long as it got out there

And they certinitly wouldnt ban somone over a mistake like this

[edit on 20-8-2006 by Marto_Bagg]

Dae

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Sorry to see Pickle go. I hope that some time in the future he can have a second chance and this isnt a permanent ban.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marto_Bagg

No, The ATS i knew wouldnt care how info about conspiracy topics got out there ,as long as it got out there

And they certinitly wouldnt ban somone over a mistake like this

We have banned people numerous times for plagiarizing. Even in the times of the "ATS you knew"

And as Quitesoul said....

All about the $$$

I'm waiting for my paycheck as well. The three Amigoes sacrifice their personal lives to keep this place running. In fact, they lose money on ATS. ATS is a financial burden, yet they keep with it. If it was all for the money ATS would've been dead by now.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Actually, Intrepid put it best, when it was mentioned the number of mods/admin compared to the number of users on here. Every time I thought of something done against T&C that was not acted upon to use as a defense, I realized that it really was no defense. If anything it is our own negligence for not making the mods aware through u2u or Complain.

I tried looking up what threads it may have been, but honestly I can't tell what has been removed and what is still there. This leads me to a single conclusion, if I cannot tell which ones were taken from ATS compared to which ones were original to that site, then something is in fact seriously wrong. I'm always extremely careful whenever I want to even discuss a link that I find on ATS on another site that I remain inside the T&C of this site. That's the way it goes, and there are many people on here that dedicate more time and more energy into quality posts than myself, and it's a slap in the face not to give them credit where deserved.

I would like to see PW reinstated, but not because "there are other bad things done here, too." That is an insult to everyone on this site. It has to be done only by the admin's decision, and I don't think PW would want to come back based on "other people do bad things on this site that are much worse."

link   

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it but that's quite a reach, from "prank", your word btw and "Knowingly and willingly lieing and decieving members on this site".

Serpo.

nuff said.

link   

Originally posted by masqua

To think that the action taken today was the result of some revelation the administration just had today is misleading...tt's the final result of much discussion with PW and among the staff over an extended period of time.

HAH, i know for a fact Pw got 5 U2U's Between 4am GMT and was banned at 4pm (times may be abit off)

Does ats call 12 hours give or take an " extended period of time."

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Everyone of us agreed to the terms and conditions of use here.

Most of us are here because we enjoy the content and discussions of ATS. Anyone with common sense should know that you cannot copy entire threads from any discussion forum, and reproduce it in a way that represents the material as your own. To err is human, but this was stealing, plain and simple. Not just stealing from ATS, but stealing credit from the original authors of that material.

EVERYONE here should know just how wrong that is.

We are all proud of ATS, and it is a good thing to share what we have here with others. There are a multitude of ways to do that.

Stealing others work and portraying it as your own is not the way to do it.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The principle is far more important than the money.

If you have a scrap of integrity, you don't rip off the work that other people have produced.

You think the ATS of the supposed 'good old' days would have been fine with people churning out C&P jobs of the threads? Nonsense!

The information is what's important, but that's no reason to ignore the standards of common decency!

What's so hard about posting a link, and giving credit to the people who write the content, and the site that pays to keep it up and available? What's so freakin' hard about that?

Seriously...

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   

HAH, i know for a fact Pw got 5 U2U's Between 4am GMT and was banned at 4pm (times may be abit off)

Marto, this is absolutely no indication of how long admin/staff were reviewing the situation. I doubt they would contact him about a decision before they made it. I don't think this was done out of spite by staff to "get pickle". With all of these people on this site, I don't think they have time to target people.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
If everyone wants to read the T&C of ATS it has been copied word for word on picklewalsh's site as his own T&C. And was written by Kevin Walsh ?
www.orderofwatchers.com...

That alone makes him a thief in my eyes.

Good-bye picklewalsh, you deserved to be banned.............

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   
How many hits is this guys website getting because of all the hoopla being made about it here?

I usually browse the threads, occasionally post - I have never been to that website before today.
Just saying

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I see some people are saying we should give Picklewalsh a second chance because he made a mistake. In truth, he made at least ten mistakes that I saw and when we confronted him about it he said that he "knew what he did was wrong". I don't like to see people get banned. But in this case it is deserving. I know how it feels to have work that I have done plagiarized, and it isn't nice.

As for those stating that ATS is "All about the $$$" I have to say I really resent that. You couldn't be farther from the truth than you are when you make statements like that.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by uplander
How many hits is this guys website getting because of all the hoopla being made about it here?

I usually browse the threads, occasionally post - I have never been to that website before today.
Just saying

That's not the issue and upper management probably don't care(not speaking for them), the issue of theft of intellectual property IS the issue.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   

The website was a concern months ago when it initially got started in ATS chat.
This issue just kept evolving over that time until it got where it is today.

A question, Marto_Bragg... how long were you a member on that site?

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   

A question, Marto_Bragg... how long were you a member on that site?

Marto_Bagg*

I recall signing up for the site about the start of auguest mabye? i cant remember ,however i do not post because things of the "paranormal" etc.. do not intrest me

I simply did it because PW is my freind and has helped me through some rough times , and thats why iam arguing so vicously now

And if somone as good as PW can get banned from this site .. i do not know what the world is coming to

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join