It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What can we do to address race-relations and solve racism?

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
. Please leave me alone and accept that your people get more "handouts" than the rest of us. And since you are a woman and a white person, you get double handouts and social giveaways.
[edit on 2-9-2006 by ceci2006]

Right, because I really got help to pay for college from the United Caucasian College Fund.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   
No, I meant that white people are the highest statistically when getting social welfare. Therefore, you should be getting mad at yourself. Really.

Furthermore, I find it funny whenever I hear white women speak against affirmative action. White women who want to jump ranks and speak against affirmative action must also realize that they are beneficiaries of the system.

But sigh. Because of "politics", they either have to choose "race" or "gender" when trying to fit into mainstream society. And in this case, it looks like race. And still, while they are denouncing other races, they quietly benefit from the same system as minorities do.

And to tell you the truth, I'm also like Harlem Hottie in this respect. I also was turned down by UNCF. Because of my high grades and awards, I received my academic scholarships.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   

No, I meant that white people are the highest statistically when getting social welfare. Therefore, you should be getting mad at yourself. Really.

What? I'm a white male and do you know how much social help, assistance or welfare I get compared to others? I'm expected to do things on my own, which is fine by me but others in the same position as me aren't, that does not sit too well with me. So I'd like to see the statistics you're speaking of.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Well, people always claim that they know that Blacks are always getting welfare. Then they always make the assumption that Blacks are not getting work and are lazy.

So when the assumptions stop, then the stigma of getting handouts stop.

Or maybe, you guys will just have to sleep with us to stop these ridiculous accusations of Black people trying to siphon off the government when everybody does it through various programs.

Courteseans, historically, have not done less to save foreign policy.

But *sigh*. Here you go:

Welfare Statistics

According to the statistics, whites form the largest racial group on welfare; half of all welfare recipients leave in the first two years; and teenagers form less than 8 percent of all welfare mothers.

And about "federal assistance" there is an entire catalog of programs.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Hey ladies why bother yourselves in thinking so deeply about how you're styling your hair. Just take a size three and cut that bad boy really short like me.
(on second though don't do that) Ok, enough off me, back to the successful people.

Hey, what a coincidence. I was getting a size 2 for the longest time, then I heard that longer hair was coming back in style so now I get a 3.

My Vietnamese haircutter says "Oooo you so hot!" but there's been no interracial blending yet. Yet.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
You want to think of it as self-hatred, she obviously thought of it as loving yourself enough to feel worthy of taking care of yourself in the way you choose, whether that be having straight OR curly hair. It's about choice.

...now.

During the time she was making her products, "good hair" vs "bad hair" was still a big deal. That changed in the seventies, from what I hear.

Btw, I have a relaxer myself, so I obviously agree with what you said. I was referring to her historical context. And this is for FF too, just so nobody misconstrues what I was saying.

Originally posted by Elijio
I think the solution is lots and lots of sex( looks around nervously). Between the different races of course.

In all seriousness, considering today's MTV-drugged youth (mind you, I'm only 25), I think you might be right. At least it would foster contact.

Well, maybe not seriously...

Editted to add: BH, I just thought of something else. Those relaxers she sold were notoriously hard on your hair, so it wasn't actually about "taking care" of your hair. It was about brutalizing your hair until it "acted right."

[edit on 2-9-2006 by HarlemHottie]

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Ceci for all your high awards you apparently aren't sharp of percentages huh?
Blacks make up 13.5% of the US population, whites make up around ~70% of the US population. Yet according to your source they make up 38.8% of the welfare recipients while blacks make up 37.2%, so, what does that tell you?

But that's not what I was even getting at.

Originally posted by jsobeckey
Vietnamese haircutter says "Oooo you so hot!" but there's been no interracial blending yet. Yet.

Hey, mine is a black guy (like the way he does my shape-up) and I don't plan any "interracial blending" with him ether.

[edit on 2-9-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Ceci, I think you might be right about the percentages of white people vs black people on welfare. But, I also see where WestPoint is coming from. I suspect that the majority of welfare recipients of all races are single moms, so that rules him out. As a white male, his pickin's are pretty slim, assuming he doesn't have any kids, in his custody.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I think this is a great site about a foundation that tries to promote race understanding throughout ffeu.org...

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I don't want to argue this point, but I do want to point out how misleading this statement is.

... white people are the highest statistically when getting social welfare.

There are many more whites in the US than blacks, so of course more white people are on welfare. Let's take a look at the numbers. Because the 'per capita' rate of black people on welfare FAR EXCEEDS the 'per capita' rate of white people on welfare.

People on welfare:

White 38.8% (81.7% of the people in the US are white.)
Black 37.2 (12.9% of people in the US are black.)
Source 1
Source 2

Sure 38% of people on welfare are white and 37% are black, but when you consider the difference in population of black and white in the US, a far higher percentage of black people are on welfare than white people.

So your claims that white people get more 'handouts' is highly misleading. The percentage difference between white and black people in the population of the US is 68.8%, while the percentage difference between white and black people on welfare is only 1.6%.

I realize that a lot of black people are on welfare because of the social inequities in the culture. However, to say that "white people get more welfare", while true, is a very misleading statistic in the way it was presented.

And still, while they are denouncing other races, they quietly benefit from the same system as minorities do.

Who's denouncing other races? Where?

Originally posted by HarlemHottie
During the time she was making her products, "good hair" vs "bad hair" was still a big deal. That changed in the seventies, from what I hear.

I'm sure you're right. I'm sure there was a time when black women were ashamed or embarrassed of their hair. I remember the 70s as a celebration of the 'fro, black, white, male and female alike. It was cool.

I never had a 'fro...

BH, I just thought of something else. Those relaxers she sold were notoriously hard on your hair, so it wasn't actually about "taking care" of your hair. It was about brutalizing your hair until it "acted right."

I understand and believe you. The perms I got in the 70s burned my neck and face and I had to have special conditioners to keep it from getting brittle and breaking off. There are many horror stories of women's hair coming completely OUT!
or breaking off 1/2" long.

Talk about the #3 buzz cut!

Thank you, Revelmonk! This is the direction we need to be heading.

[edit on 2-9-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Mimi Abramovitz, for the National Association of Social Welfare, writes of how there is a disparity of treatment between white women welfare recipients and their "minority" counterparts. Because social workers can be "discriminating" in their choice of who needs help, the statistics of getting off of welfare can be skewed to suit both a political agenda and an a racialized one:

Racializing Welfare

A second disturbing outcome of welfare reform concerns race.

It is not unreasonable to assume that public programs such as welfare would provide equal treatment to all comers. However, researchers have begun to document racial discrimination by welfare caseworkers, employers, and policy makers.

Susan Gooden (1998) found that caseworkers-who have considerably more discretion since welfare became a state run block grant-serve black and white women in Virginia differently. Despite similar backgrounds and needs, black women on welfare received far less support with job-search education, and transportation. More than white women, they feel unfairly treated by the welfare department. In a 13 state study, Rebecca Gordon (1999) found that welfare officials sent significantly more people of color than white persons to workfare than to a regular job and frequently humiliated them. A caseworker told one African American woman to change her baby's name because "he doesn't need a name that long." Another caseworker denied benefits to a woman with a bi-racial child telling her, "I don't approve of mixed relationships."

Other studies document similar discriminatory treatment of Latino families and immigrants. For one, welfare reform excluded many immigrants from the program. Those who qualify in New York City and elsewhere suffer sanctions, English-only forms, a lack of translators, and general disrespect. Unlike whites they are regularly asked to submit documentation of marriage and citizenship prior to setting appointments, and have been threatened with deportation (Bauen, 1999).
[...]
A connection also exists between the racial composition of a state's welfare caseload and its adoption welfare reform's harshest policies. Soss et al (1999) found that states with higher proportions of African American and Latino recipients were more likely to use harsh sanctions, the child exclusion which denies aid to children born on welfare and a shorter time limit than the five-year maximum permitted by the PRA. Reporters and researchers have also found that while many white women leave welfare because they get jobs and earn too much to qualify for benefits, more women of color have their cases closed for non-compliance or other administrative reasons.

The racialization of welfare is hardly new. Fifty years of years invidious racial stereotypes have shaped the popular images of poverty and welfare (Gilens, 1996). The1935 Social Security Act excluded farm laborers and domestic workers with impunity-the two main occupations open to black and Latinos at the time. In the 1940s and 1950s southern welfare offices shut down during the cotton and tobacco harvests to ensure a steady supply of labor. In the 1960s more than a few states with large black welfare caseloads threw women off welfare for having children on their own. Most recently, the welfare "reformers" evoked racial stereotypes by portraying women on welfare as lazy, Cadillac driving "welfare queens," who had "kids for money", "lived high on the hog" and "cheated the government" (Abramovitz. 1996).

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
There are many horror stories of women's hair coming completely OUT!
or breaking off 1/2" long.

Those horror stories persist to this very day. Trust me, I just 'recovered' from a bad situation.

And, what is this #2/#3 everybody keeps talking about? The size of the clippers? Sorry, sometimes I'm amazed at the everyday stuff I dont know. Ask me about Mayan prophecy and I'm all over it.

Also, RevelMonk, good link. I love anything involving Jay-Z. As of late, he's a very positive influence on our young (black) men.

General question: what do you guys think about my avatar? Umbrax made it (
to him, btw), so of course it's a great image, but what do you think: too much for me? I don't know, I was very nervous about picking it. This is the first discussion board I ever joined, so I've never chosen one before.

I'm asking this like a girl asking how a shirt looks, so please be gentle in your replies.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   

As a white male, his pickin's are pretty slim, assuming he doesn't have any kids, in his custody.

Nah, not for a while at least, I'm in my late teens so right now I got nothing to warrant help.
But my concern was toward the academic front. All schools that I've been to (JR high and up) had certain quotas of minorities that they HAD to fill, this includes Asians and Latinos too but priority was placed upon females and blacks. My high school was not a magnet school and was very selective of its admissions, I had really good grades so I got in but I can't help but think how may others like me were denied admission once judgment shifted from grades to race and gender instead.

What is this #2/#3 everybody keeps talking about? The size of the clippers?

Yes, the size of the clippers blades.

General question: what do you guys think about my avatar?

Hey I can't help but like it, Super Woman huh? Would go well with the avatar below. I used to have it for a while.

[edit on 2-9-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   

What is this #2/#3 everybody keeps talking about? The size of the clippers?

Yeah.
The number determines the length of hair that it leaves.

Sorry, sometimes I'm amazed at the everyday stuff I dont know.

I hear you! I'm 48 and still learning every day!

General question: what do you guys think about my avatar?

I LOVE it! It's perfect! WTG, Umbrax! I don't think it's too much, I think it's hot!
As are you!

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
BH, there are issues all the time that people choose between their race and their gender. White women are not immune about this issue--especially when it comes down to affirmative action. That's what I mean that the system still benefits white women, but they speak against it anyway. If they are so against affirmative action, why don't they tell the employers they do not want it right to their face during the interview?

Why not? Because everyone uses an edge to get hired. And if affirmative action works for them, they'd use it in a heart beat like all the other "minorities".

Tests in the end don't mean a darn thing. There are classes of people who do benefit from affirmative action. White women are a part of it. Yet, they do not think of their benefits as "handouts". That is saved for people of color, it seems.

And for percentages, HH and West Point, that is probably the truth. But still the statistics place Whites above Blacks as those receiving welfare. I see what you both are trying to say, though.

But then again, the same type of thinking that West Point uses mirrors the justification of alot of "welfare reformers" who want to punish women of color while leaving their own alone. They don't face the facts; they talk out of both sides of their mouth to try and distance themselves from them.

You don't see any white "welfare reformers" calling their fellow white women on welfare "welfare queens", do you? Why do you think that stereotype comes to mind? It isn't because of white women siphoning off the system. These stereotypes are harmful to women of color.

Eminem is the only white rapper I know of that freely talks about food stamps, trailer parks ("Salem's Lot") and "trying to make it out of poverty." That is especially from his song "Lose Yourself".

And in your late teens, West Point? You're still very, very young. I thought you'd be at least in your twenties.

And HH, I really like it. Umbrax did a great job on it.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
HH, your avatar is exactly how I pictured you. Very nice!

So, can you answer this question: can Mighty Mouse beat up Superman? This has been asked by practically every kid from age 6 on up.

Oh yeah, and, can a lion beat a tiger?

[edit on 2-9-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Yes! But seeing as how I'm a Leo I have a certain bias toward the animal so don't take my word for it. Ok that's enough fooling around for me.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
HH, your avatar is exactly how I pictured you. Very nice!

Thanks, jso! My mom said it looked like me but, she loves me, so I wouldn't trust her opinion on that one. If I had a waist that tiny, I'd be famous.

So, can you answer this question: can Mighty Mouse beat up Superman?

Let me see: 1) Heck no! He's a mouse, we're talking about the Man Of Steel! 2)Hmmm... never really thought about it. (ATS response: Well, the lion, being a symbol of Israel, is Zionist, so of course they'd win. The US is shipping weapons out as we speak. Let me find the link...
)

to edit smiley face

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Well, HH, enjoy your avatar. It's fun to have one.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   

It's fun to have one.

It used to be fun for me too but then little miss USA happened and now I'm...
But no seriously great avatar, and hey look at this, all this talk about hair and avatars got us getting along so well...

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join