It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What can we do to address race-relations and solve racism?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Hello all,

In light of the divisiveness that has been fostered in today's society due to current events, I just wanted to pose two questions to you about how we could be a better society based on understanding one another.

1)What can we do to address race-relations?

2)How can racism be solved?

On this thread, we will keep civil about this issue. We will also deal with this subject matter honestly. No personal attacks or insults will be entertained. However, questions are always welcomed.

[edit on 8-8-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
In light of the divisiveness that has been fostered in today's society due to current events,

Huh…? Pardon me but what "divisiveness" are you referring to, and what 'current events' spurred such 'divisiveness'?

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Immigration. That is a current event that has spawned a lot of divisiveness, did it not?

And also, the war between Israel and Hezbollah. Depending on what side one supports, there has been a lot of exchanges about power, privilege, culture, race and history.

But I want to get beyond current events and address the underlying issues that have caused such animosity in society. I think that instead of blame, we can proactively work toward some solutions and understanding that will further a more peaceful co-existence between people from all walks of life.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Immigration. That is a current event that has spawned a lot of divisiveness, did it not?

You mean illegal immigration. It doesn't only bring divisiveness between different races, but also the same race. There are groups of "latinos/hispanics against illegal immigration".

It isn't a racial issue. People aren't against immigration. They are against the problems illegal immigration brings.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Is different types of racism. . .

You have what is called the problems with division of class or classism, that is when is problems between the powerful and the powerless. . .

Immigration may fall in this one.

Racism has its roots in how family view certain issues . . . the negativity of some parents are transferred to their children that perpetuates the problem.

Then you have when a person becomes victim of racism and then the victim become racist also. If you get abuse verbally because some racist remarks against your person the victim can act back with racist remarks of her or his own toward the attacker perpetuating the racism toward each other.

This become a pattern in a community bringing divisions between the members of that community becoming a campaign.

How can you end racism . . .

That is a very difficult question and task,

Many think that it can be change if we teach our children tolerance but . . .

How can you keep the children from the influences of their families. . .once they get home after learning how we should learn to tolerate each others because after all we are a diverse nation.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
It is very much a racial issue. However, it is masked by the issues of "legality" opposed to "illegality"--especially when people bring up who represents the face of illegal immigration.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   

It is very much a racial issue. However, it is masked by the issues of "legality" opposed to "illegality"--especially when people bring up who represents the face of illegal immigration.

It may be a racial issue for some people. But if England was Mexico, and thousands came over to the US illegally daily causing problems [like economic ones], there would be just as much outrage. It isn't because they are "brown" lol

By the way, I think a good start to stopping racism is to stop continously talking about it. Stop talking about separations of races. Stop talking about how some races should have programs and scholarships and months set up for them. Stop the division.

My humble opinion

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I do not believe it is, the issue of legality is what this whole debate is founded on, at least for me it is. The "face" of illegal immigration is entirely dependant upon who the majority of illegal immigrants are, no masking there. So for me this is not a racial issue, nor should it be one.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   

1)What can we do to address race-relations?

Recognize that there's a tendency for different ethnic groups and cultures not to get along very well sometimes.

2)How can racism be solved?

"Racism" is a natural socio-biological mechanism designed to keep us away from other people and animals who are recognizably different than we are. It's there to keep us from mating with significant mutations and either wasting that mating opportunity on a sterile entity, or producing other mutations that may be too variant to survive in an exisiting environmental system. We're programmed to be attracted to people who are like us, but not enough like us to be family, and to stay away from the others, who could be Neanderthals for all you know.

So unless you want to go digging around in our DNA and make some heavy modifications, people are going to be racist. The only thing you can really do is more strictly enforce criminal behavior that's directed against another person.

You might not like it, but people have a right to hate whoever they want to, for whatever nutty reason. They just can't let that hate manifest itself in physical aggression that becomes assault, battery or murder. That's the line, and as long as it's enforced, it works pretty good.

[edit on 8-8-2006 by Enkidu]

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally quoted by marg6043

You have what is called the problems with division of class or classism, that is when is problems between the powerful and the powerless. . .

I agree. It does have to do with class a lot of the time. The class struggle does determine the power relationships in society. And for those who are undocumented workers, they have to deal with not only the perceptions of the classes above them; they also have to deal with the bias and racism afforded to nationalism as well as privilege afforded to skin color.

Racism has its roots in how family view certain issues . . . the negativity of some parents are transferred to their children that perpetuates the problem.

That is something I also agree with. If the parents have not adequately dealt with their own racism, then that same racism is transferred to their children because there is not any other outlet to rewrite the stereotypes caused by hatred generated in the home.

That is why it is important for people who are culturally and racially isolated to branch out and get to know others who are different from them instead of residing with their perceptions regarding different races.

Then you have when a person becomes victim of racism and then the victim become racist also. If you get abuse verbally because some racist remarks against your person the victim can act back with racist remarks of her or his own toward the attacker perpetuating the racism toward each other.

Yes, that is also true. And I think that there needs to be restitution or apology in order to provide closure to the incident. There are also issues of social justice that needs to addressed in regards of trying to deal with the perpetrators as well as the victims of racial animus. However, this depends on how the person was raised as well as his or her attitudes regarding the race in question.

This become a pattern in a community bringing divisions between the members of that community becoming a campaign.

That is true. Division has become more socially acceptable in this day and age. As a result, today's society is getting the message from their politicians, the media and the government that it is okay to discriminate against anyone that appears to be an "outsider". This has been a pattern prevalent to post-9/11 society.

None of our national leaders have done anything to address this problem. Instead, they sweep issues like this one under the rug and create scapegoats in order to spread further division amongst members of society.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   
About RetinoidReceptor's comment about stopping the discussion about racism and race-relations: I don't think that is effective in eradicating racism and improving race-relations.

1)How will people address their racist attitudes toward another race if it was suddenly stopped?

2)Racism will not stop if you don't talk about it. That is akin to sticking your head in the sand while the crosses continue to burn on the lawn.

3)Not talking about racism encourages division because the people doing the acts of animus against another race will not be discovered and the victims will not have a proper forum to address their concerns.

4)It is not a practical solution for a world of diversity. In fact, it only complicates the issue by enforcing silence on a very difficult and emotional problem.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 08:33 PM
link   
To answer the two questions posed in the initial post, (btw, hi Ceci! u2u forthcoming), the best way to address racism and solve racism is to talk about it.

Sorry if it makes some people feel bad. Get over it. Racism makes people feel worse.

The curator of the Jim Crow Museum had this to say:

George Santayana, the philosopher and poet, wrote: "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it." It is uncomfortable to study our mistakes, and there is a part of us that naively says, "If only we stop talking about racism the problem will go away." It won't, trust me. We should never stop talking about race and racism, but we must always look for new, creative, and productive ways to discuss it. I believe that Americans -- Blacks, Whites, Reds, Browns, and Yellows -- want to talk about racism; indeed, they need to talk openly and honestly about race and racism. They are afraid. Whites are afraid they will "say the wrong thing," and be called bigoted. Americans of color are afraid they will sound angry, bitter, lost and locked in the past. It is okay to be afraid.

www.ferris.edu...

PS, RetinoidReceptor, I'm not sure how this works or if you've received a u2u yet, but, just so you know, you have been reported to the mods for your behavior in the BET thread.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   
This thread is not going to become a rant for a few individuals with an axe to grind. Please feel free to discuss this most important subject in Social Issues, but I am already seeing aggressive behavior and threats and that is a very good way to have this discussion terminated.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Grady, was that in response to my post?

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   
It is a response to this thread.

This thread will be a perfect place for us to set the example for race relations.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Racism has been with our nation since its humble beginnings.

Then when the civil rights movement in the 60’s seemed to address the minority issues things seems to just take the backstage after the era was over.

Then we have the issue of affirmative action, which has been used as a political tool

Affirmative action (U.S. English), or Positive Discrimination in English, is a policy or a program of giving certain preferences to certain (usually under-represented) groups. This typically focuses on education, employment, government contracts, health care, or social welfare.

en.wikipedia.org...

Many will arguer that on itself is a form of racism.

We also have our Civil rights act. That prohibits discrimination in the working place.

While it describes the various forms of discrimination and makes it illegal to discriminate against anybody in the bases of race, age, religion, gender or national origin. . .

It comes with a loophole, it does not authorized affirmative action but it doesn’t prohibit either.

People as employers still can make choices as to whom particular group it favors at the expenses of other group.

Violence is another issue when it comes to racism.

Using violence to fight racism only seems to make people afraid and divide groups more.

Then we most ask what has done our government to help with racism beside some laws to protect already targeted groups.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   

PS, RetinoidReceptor, I'm not sure how this works or if you've received a u2u yet, but, just so you know, you have been reported to the mods for your behavior in the BET thread.

Okay? Why would you say that, if I was going to receive a u2u (which I haven't)? You are saying it almost like I should care you reported me for my thoughts on BET. hehe

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   
And end to racial quotas, such as affirmative action..very divisive.
Make people think they can't become successful on their own.
It's purpose has been served, and it's no longer needed.

And end to hyphenated-Americans. plain old American is fine with me.

an end to ANYONE playing the "race-card" when no such card is needed,
It may play a part in some instances, but it's pulled out of the deck WAY too often.
Every negative reaction to something, is not always a racial reaction, unless someone turns it into one.

When people stop self-segregating...Chinatown, little italy, Japantown, etc..
People like to be amongst their own kind. But, if people are people, what does "their own kind" actually mean to them? again, divisive. and self perpetuating.

anyway, thats my opinion.

Forgot something:

Some, with racism ingrained will have to die of old age. which is happening.
No one will be around to teach it to thier youngin's, given enough time.

[edit on 8-8-2006 by spacedoubt]

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Where do you draw the line as a minority and what priveledges that entails?

I grew up in Detroit, and being white, I was surely in the minority. Did I get any special treatment because of it? Nope. Of course, I wouldn't want any, but that's a different story all together.

Aside from that, saying that victims of racism become racists themselves is just a blanket ignorant statement. By the time I was 18 (and moved out of Detroit for college) I had been shot at on two seperate occasions (one while I was right in front of my house), beaten up innumerable times, had my tires slashed or nails put through them upwards of a dozen times, and couldn't walk the neighborhood alone (and even then it really wasn't that safe). Am I a racist? No. I may not care too much for the people who did those things to me, but I'm not going to blame their entire race for their actions. I don't deny that there are people who are victims of racism who then become racists themselves, but to offer up such a blanket statement is just wrong.

Now, as for a way to deal with racism? Well, from my point of view, it seems that all races impart the segregation naturally, as Enkidu stated. One thing that continues though are the reparations, the special colleges, funds, etc that cater only to one or a group of minorities. Now, if there was a college that only admitted white people it would be deemed racist, while colleges such as Morehouse are not. Why is that not racism towards white people or other races?

I really think that for racism to go away, you need to get rid of all the special treatments that all races get for one reason or another. Get rid of any form of reparations, affirmitive action, welfare, etc and teach people to cope with each other and form bonds that stretch accross the races.

Until that happens, we're all just going to have to suck it up and deal with it.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   

"Racism" is a natural socio-biological mechanism..."

Absolutely correct Enkidu. IMO
Just don't necessarily agree with all your points of why the mechanism.

Unfortunately I believe the only way racism could ever be resolved is when/if all ethnicities finally merged into one mixed race. Though I also believe that
when/if that happens the human race will have reached it's pinnacle.

Santayana appears to be a wise man, I'll have to look into him.
But he is spot on with how to mitigate the issue as it is. Open communication is
without a doubt critical to resolving, mitigating or blunting conflict.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join