It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Katrina

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
WOW, I just woke up to this, when I went to sleep last night she was a 4................ I'm sorry honestly for calling this 'The One' in an earlier post in this thread................ looks like I was right

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
I had my emotional breakdown a few minutes ago, tears and all as I came to the understanding that there will be people riding out Katrina and lives will be lost, so I'm back to help provide info that hopefully might help someone survive this. Having experienced the Cat 1 Katrina, it makes my stomach sink to depths never felt thinking what a Cat 4 or 5 Katrina will bring. I pray for you all and I ask everyone, regardless of religion or lack of religion to wish everyone in the path of Katrina well.

Worldwatcher is completely right, but doesn't go far enough.

I urge any ATS member in the path of this storm to do anything they can do to get out of the way, there's still time. If you have family members that refuse to move, it's their own fault and you should use your own brain and save yourself. There's absolutely no reason to stay in your home if it's in the way of the eye of this storm, or you may very well be dead. In fact on FOX News, the government has already said the biggest problem that could arise from this storm is a lack of body bags. You shouldn't take that warning lightly!

If you knew a thermonuclear warhead was heading for your city, but you had time to get out, wouldn't you? This tropical cyclonic system has way more power than any nuclear weapon ever developed on the planet!

[edit on 8/28/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I agree with all of you and have to admit I believe this Storm will be the worst ever known. I have been reading the posts and your posts, Mizar: Please, leave the area NOW!

We all share the feeling of being extremely worried...
I really hope you have managed to leave.

I was wondering if such a storm cat 5 can cause a quake?

Where I live, we have not enough information on how things are going on. Therefore, I will be following your posts and info. in order to be updated. Please, let me know...

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Shouldn't the National Guard be activated already, and helping to evacuate people????? Why didn't President Bush stress people to GET THE HELL OUT!!! Where's the military???

I'm so helpless that all I can do is to either be sad or mad

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
Shouldn't the National Guard be activated already, and helping to evacuate people????? Why didn't President Bush stress people to GET THE HELL OUT!!! Where's the military???

I'm so helpless that all I can do is to either be sad or mad

President Bush already did call for a state of emergency....it's just difficult to force people out of a huge a city in our democratic republic. Here's a news link of the President's declaration: msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I'm not mad at the President or any of the officials, in situations like this, it just human nature to lash out at any one in power when a natural disaster occurs. I think the media is doing a good job of stressing how severe the storm is, it's just the thought of people who have means to leave and choose to stay that bothers me.. some people unfortunately don't even have the option, others do and should be taking advantage of it.

btw the weather will probably start to deteriorate by nightfall.
satellite imagery is impressive, this is one amazing storm.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Belle Chasse LA has one of the largest Air Navy Bases in the USA. I am affiliated with the base commander O6 is his rank i beleive. He ordered the base close opperations and that all military personell evacuate.

Unfourtnatelly there are alot of people still here.... I noticed quite a bit of cars out. On the news they just stated that some evacuation routes are so blocked up the police are not allowing anyone to leave. SO I am kinda stuck now. If I left now odds aare I would be stuck in traffic when this storm hits.

I really feel bad for thoes of you worrying about me. And I;m sorry that I have to put you all through this. I really feel that the city of NO will be perty devastated. I also feel that the entire nation will feel this...

My alcholic, Drug addic sister is here.... SH came in all woo whooing with a bag of Marajuana saying "ITS GONA BE A CRAZY WEEKEND!" I wanted to slap her and kick her out my house. I think I just confvinced her to leave. I dont want any drugs in my house or her being stoned and freaking out when we have to chain saw our way out the attic....

I think the nation will feel this because of the oil industry. I have seen the many refineries here in South LA and uh.... yeah..... its gona be bad. This is going to hurt everyone...

I;m goign to be safe. I have my Backpacking Pack all ready with all of your cross coutry hiking standard gear. I think I will be fine, Ive got my Waterproff militarly issue boots on and thick jeans with my harley thick lether motorcycle jacket. Along with a heavy duty rain jacket. two of my nebighors are staying also so we just got our CB raido going. If worst comes to worst and the water aint to high I have my 4x4 Jeep. With rock climbing gear, Super awesome bumper and winch. Hig ground clerance. I know its goign to be bad. And I know I ought to leave. But I'm not. I'd rather die trying to protect thoes I love than to die in a bed at night. I'm a verry happy satisfied person and who has no enemies. ITs been a good life and I will be more than happy to let it pass at any moment. ANY WAY I dont expect to die. I cant. I got Jesus.

Now I'm rambling

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
They are saying now that when the storm hits it could last up to 12 hours it is so large. They are also saying that the entire city will be under water the mayor expects it to be under 35 feet of water and that it will take days if not weeks to get rid of it all.

I'm not real familiar with the area but Lady Lily I hope you are looking at this thread also -- right now the news is saying that even being north of the lake isn't good with this track - they are saying that there could be devastating flooding north of the lake also looking at simulations done in the past for what would happen with storms of this size.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
This is for you Mizar...

www.photolib.noaa.gov/historic/nws/wea00540.htm

www.truehealth.org...

flare.creighton.edu...

My personal favorite...

www.firstscience.com...

All the camping equipment and hiking gear in the world won't help you if you get in the core of this system. You will be wishing you had drugs and alcohol to help you survive the storm.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Mizar do you have a cast iron tub in your bathroom by chance if so you could rig up something so that you could get in there and cover yourself with plywood or something to prevent the roof falling on you -- I have a feeling that unless your home meets with the most stringent guidelines for hurricanes the chance your roof will hold is pretty slim if you get the brunt of this storm - so your attic might not be a great place to be. Try to set up a safe room if you can - even if you have to be set to get under a table and put stuff around it to try to protect yourself ... better to feel silly setting it up and not needing it than needing it and not having it set up.

Saying prayers for everyone in the path of this storm --

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Mizar, if it's not clear to you yet what everyone here is saying to you, let me make it clearer:

GET THE # OUT OF THERE!!!!!

This is a community service message, if I get a warn for it then so be it

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
This storm is HUGE.
external image

They say if it hits dead on New Orleans the downtown area could be under 10-15 feet of water

[edit on 28-8-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Pressure is still dropping, 26.75/906mb

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Time is running out New Orleans!!!!!!!

it's moving at 13mph staying on track.

[edit on 8-28-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
175! Yup, get out! (Remind me again why people live there? Yes I'm sure its otherwise a delightful place.)

BTW, anyone notice the eye of the hurricane has that pentagon shape like Isabel had?

www.weather.com...

What's up with that??

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Well I have bad news as if you really needed it. The eye has cleaned up nicely. It looks perfect. Now the cloud tops in the core are really starting to fire up. I suspect the storm is getting ready for another round of intensification. Lets hope I am wrong.

www.climatepatrol.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
WEll i think i have the worst luck, you see we just got a new house down in new orleans and i was so excited that we were goin to move then suddenly this big baddie hits and blows over our new life, anyways just incase you dont know what a categori 5 hurricane is well here is a update

Category Five Hurricane:
Winds greater than 155 mph (135 kt or 249 km/hr). Storm surge generally greater than 18 ft above normal. Complete roof failure on many residences and industrial buildings. Some complete building failures with small utility buildings blown over or away. All shrubs, trees, and signs blown down. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Severe and extensive window and door damage. Low-lying escape routes are cut by rising water 3-5 hours before arrival of the center of the hurricane. Major damage to lower floors of all structures located less than 15 ft above sea level and within 500 yards of the shoreline. Massive evacuation of residential areas on low ground within 5-10 miles (8-16 km) of the shoreline may be required. Only 3 Category Five Hurricanes have made landfall in the United States since records began: The Labor Day Hurricane of 1935, Hurricane Camille (1969), and Hurricane Andrew in August, 1992. The 1935 Labor Day Hurricane struck the Florida Keys with a minimum pressure of 892 mb--the lowest pressure ever observed in the United States. Hurricane Camille struck the Mississippi Gulf Coast causing a 25-foot storm surge, which inundated Pass Christian. Hurricane Andrew of 1992 made landfall over southern Miami-Dade County, Florida causing 26.5 billion dollars in losses--the costliest hurricane on record. In addition, Hurricane Gilbert of 1988 was a Category Five hurricane at peak intensity and is the strongest Atlantic tropical cyclone on record with a minimum pressure of 888 mb.

some people even believe this might be a 51/2 seriously the strongest to hit this decade or anyother dacade well since 1988

got $%&^@^ N#@&@B why did it have to happen

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
It's definitely strengtening Indy, pressure at 902 mb winds at 180mph at surface!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Here is the latest model summary from wunderground.com . Notice the SHIPS model takes it to 181mph in 12 hours. That may be off if what WW says is official.

www.climatepatrol.com...

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join