It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Katrina

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Weather Channel is reporting the Hurrican Hunter has left the storm with a final minimum pressure of 936mb (27.64)

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Katrina as a Cat 5

Katrina remains a Category 3 hurricane but it is continuing to strengthen as it's central pressure falls. Hurricane hunter aircraft report that the eye is closed but still somewhat ragged. The hurricane should track across a deep and warm layer of water over the central Gulf; and with little to no upper-level wind shear across the entire Gulf, intensification will occur. Katrina should become a Category 4 hurricane Sunday and could even reach Category 5 intensity before Monday morning.

Accuweather, Expert Summary

God help anyone not evacuated.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   
She has a visible eye once again. If she holds the good eye for a period of time I'd expect a big jump in strength.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I'm in a higher part of town. Not projected to get any flooding. On that artivle that was posted" If blah hit NO" I was in an area that had no flooding and was above sealevel. I don't live in the city.

I;m verry worried about the coast line. IF we get another hit on this scale soon I can Garuentee that south Liousiana will be nonexistiant.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mizar
I'm in a higher part of town. Not projected to get any flooding. On that artivle that was posted" If blah hit NO" I was in an area that had no flooding and was above sealevel. I don't live in the city.

I;m verry worried about the coast line. IF we get another hit on this scale soon I can Garuentee that south Liousiana will be nonexistiant.

Good glad to hear that. You are in my prayers. Stay with us as long as you can.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 12:46 AM
link   
It is expected shortly that NWS will declare Katrina as a catagory 4 storm with winds 145mph, gusting over 170mph in a new advisory.

According to the weather channel.

NWS Special Statement

Only another 10mph sustained and she'll be a CAT 5

[edit on 28-8-2005 by Phoenix]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Declared Cat 4.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Here is the NHC bulletin that you all are talking about...

WTNT62 KNHC 280541
TCUAT2
HURRICANE KATRINA TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
1240 AM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

...SHORTLY AFTER 1215 AM CDT... 0515Z... AN AIR FORCE RECONNAISSANCE
AIRCRAFT REPORTED THAT MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS IN HURRICANE KATRINA
HAD INCREASED TO NEAR 145 MPH... CATEGORY FOUR ON THE
SAFFIR-SIMPSON HURRICANE SCALE. DETAILS WILL FOLLOW SHORTLY IN A
SPECIAL ADVISORY TO BE ISSUED AT APPROXIMATELY 1 AM CDT...0600Z.
THE SPECIAL PUBLIC ADVISORY WILL TAKE THE PLACE OF THE INTERMEDIATE
PUBLIC ADVISORY PREVIOUSLY SCHEDULED FOR THAT TIME.

FORECASTER KNABB

$$

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 01:28 AM
link   
If you want to talk about the worst part of this storm for New Orleans then the following estimate from OceanWeather.com best illustrates the problem.

Based on their midnight model run they are estimating the current wave heights at nearly 40 feet. This of course is in addition to a storm surge. If this storm hit New Orleans as it you'd be looking at probably a 15' surge + 35' to 40' waves. The top of the waves would be 50'+ over the normal tide level. This will easily go over any levys or sea walls. If this storm were to strengthen to category 5 strength you'd be looking at a 20' surge and waves of some 60'. Doesn't take rocket science to understand that New Orleans may never recover from a hit like that. I would think a storm of this size or even the current cat 4 storm would have a chance at destroying the levy system that protects the city.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   
This is the most incredible satellite image I think I have ever seen of a storm. Look at the swirl feature in the eye. This should give you an idea how bad this thing is.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Sorry about the run on posts but these images are worth showing. Here is a bigger picture of the region. This is a beatiful storm.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
This is the most incredible satellite image I think I have ever seen of a storm.

Wow it sure is. This is going to be one for the record books.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 02:36 AM
link   
i'm scared for us, and hope we didnt wait too late to leave town. all i can do is hope i still have a home when i return...

Mizar, was metairie on the flood list?

the rains have just started, please, pray for us.

--Kit.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Hey Kitsunegari,

you all will definately be in my prayers. Im just glad you are leaving before its to late.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   
thank you brykc, i hope we wont be too late.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kitsunegari
thank you brykc, i hope we wont be too late.

No more posting! Leave now. I just saw the cam of traffic on WWLTV.com Looks light. If your mayor declares mandatory evac. the road will be slammed. Do not wait until then. Most people are asleep now....go now!

Anyone heading to the Atlanta Area, U2U me.

[edit on 28-8-2005 by Imperium Americana]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   
As long as it doesn't delay the process for you would you mind snapping a few evacuation pics? Don't hold up your evac for this. Do this only if you have a few minutes to spare.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   
TO those of you in New Orleans LEAVE ASAP!!!! I do'nt care if you have to kill your life savings you won't survive this if its a direct hit. Ive ran from hurricanes before and I know the feeling all to well. This year ive invested in a camera so im holding ground if one comes this way. I don't reccomend it to any of you.

The hurricane can suck the air out of your house and kill you. Its a very horrible death. This is if you dont have the house collapse on top of you. To those of you sitting it through your in my prayers. Everyone stay safe.

If your coming to the Tampa area send me a pm

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I feel compelled to echo the sentiments above.
If you are in New Orleans, LEAVE NOW!!!!
The Weather Channel has declared Katrina a cat 4 and are almost sure it will be a 5 before hitting land. That will be catastrophic.
Please, leave. Our prayers will be with you.
joey

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   
GO NOW. Some people at Fox news are already reporting a Hurricane 5 and thousands of people are starting to flee out of the city. For those of you who don't have to flee look at this link, which says there are car jams from people trying to leave. Some contradictions as others have said no one is really leaving... For god's sake people stop waiting until it is too late.

By Sunday morning, queues had begun forming on the main roads leading out of the city and hotels as far as 150 miles (240km) north reported that they were fully booked.

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 28-8-2005 by nikelbee]

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join