It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Hurricane Katrina

page: 1
0
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   
According to the NHC, tropical depression 12, which was formerly Tropical Depression 10 is now Tropical Storm Katrina.
NHC Advisory


well it was inevitable, but I'm now in the direct path of this thing, first time in years for me. Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel has already made it down to South Beach, so that doesn't bode well for me either. I only hope that the storm picks up speed and doesn't have time to intensify into a hurricane before making it's first Florida landfall.

I should also mention an interesting weather fact, today is the anniversary of Hurricane Andrew making landfall 13 years ago. Per Cantore, TS Katrina is in a very favorable location for rapid development, something they saw with Andrew, it is the same area where Andrew went from a Cat 2 to a Cat 5....thankfully that scenario doesnt seem to be possible since the Katrina is only a weak tropical storm right now.

visible and water vapor satellite pics are showing a pretty symetrical blob this morning, definitely organizing itself better. But it's still pretty hard (well for me at least) to pick up where the center of circulation is.
www.goes.noaa.gov...
www.ssd.noaa.gov...


[edit on 8-24-2005 by worldwatcher]
(title edited to reflect katrina's hurrican status)

[edit on 25-8-2005 by pantha]




posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
South Florida is now under a hurricane watch as of the 11am advisory.
South Florida Now Under Hurricane Watch

winds currently at 40mph



posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Of course, the worst of the storm will go over my area!
I get tired of cleaning up, and missing days at work!



posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   


Wow, this one kind of snuck up, huh?

WW, if you see Cantore anywhere near you, you know it's not a good thing!
That boy is a hurricane magnet!

Looks like a mild one though, not much time to build up... Then again, we've already seen a couple storms grow VERY quickly this season, and the water is extremely warm....



posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I'm in New Providence and it's not even breezy here yet.
Just a little rain.

Maybe we'll get something in a few hours.



posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
About time to sticky this one, hmm?



posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Luckily for me, IF the path holds true, i'll be on the right hand(weaker) side and in the outer bands of the storm.



worldwatcher and AceOfBase you guys say it looks like it may be heading your way, so good luck and hopefully she's all bark and no bite.



posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Cantore is in South Beach, 25 miles to my south
The MTV video music awards is supposed to be held there on Sunday night, hopefully we'll be drying out by then.

As per the 2pm advisory, winds up to 45mph with gusts of 60mph moving in NNW direction at 8mph.



posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Katrina is really starting to get it's act together

It has a much tighter and more defined circulation that it did earlier today.



posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Broward County Schools will be closed tomorrow and Friday. Our local meteorologist are advising Northern Broward Residents to put up shutters if you have them, remove debris and lawn furniture from yards and to prepare for a Category 1 hurricane.

Broward County Closes Public Schools

Flood Watch Issued For All Of South Florida

[edit on 8-24-2005 by worldwatcher]



posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
we also have the 5pm advisory from the NHC
Tropical Storm KATRINA Public Advisory

winds currently still at 45mph with higher gusts and movement is now NW at 9 mph.

They're still thinking it will reach cat 1 hurricane status right before making the first landfall.



posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   


DUE TO ITS SLOW FORWARD SPEED...KATRINA IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE A
SIGNIFICANT HEAVY RAINFALL EVENT OVER THE CENTRAL AND NORTHWEST
BAHAMAS...AND SOUTH FLORIDA... WITH TOTAL RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF
6 TO 12 INCHES AND ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF 15 TO 20 INCHES
POSSIBLE.


That rain may cause more problems for us than the wind.
At least it's been kind of dry recently, so hopefully the ground will be able to absorb a lot of it.

[edit on 24-8-2005 by AceOfBase]



posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I live here in Ft. Myers and by the way the cone is displaying the storm is headed directly towards me. Better hit the store tonight and fill up the gas tank again.



posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rren
Luckily for me, IF the path holds true, i'll be on the right hand(weaker) side and in the outer bands of the storm.



worldwatcher and AceOfBase you guys say it looks like it may be heading your way, so good luck and hopefully she's all bark and no bite.


Right side of the eye in the direction of movement is the stronger side.


Take lots of pics please. Actually stay safe first and if a photo op comes up then pounce on it.



posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy

Originally posted by Rren
Luckily for me, IF the path holds true, i'll be on the right hand(weaker) side and in the outer bands of the storm.



worldwatcher and AceOfBase you guys say it looks like it may be heading your way, so good luck and hopefully she's all bark and no bite.


Right side of the eye in the direction of movement is the stronger side.


Take lots of pics please. Actually stay safe first and if a photo op comes up then pounce on it.


You sure about that Indy? I thought the left side(when viewed from above) is the stronger side. If it goes 'under me'(i'm in central florida) is that not better than being below the storm(left side)? Either way i'll be sure to take some pics if it's not more than just alot of rain. looks like that's the forecast for my area



posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
If the storm is going west then the north side of the eye will have the worst winds. If the storm is going north then the east side will have the worst. With the counterclockwise circiulation the worst stuff is always against the grain so to speak.



posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Hey Indy

just the person I needed to see online at the moment....

There's a model, I think it is the GFDL that is suggesting a CAT 3 hurricane before south florida landfall... any idea where I can find info on how reliable this model has been in the past...and also what are your thoughts on that possibility???

I've made all my preps, except closing the hurricane shutters, but I have accordian ones which are easy to close, but all my relatives keep calling me for advice if they should put up their's?? I don't know what to tell them, except to have it ready, but my fear is that overnight this thing strenghtens and the weather will deterioate too quickly for some people to get them up???

btw I'm at the borderline of NW broward county, I'd say more central west, how likely is this thing to go north of me? NHC is waiting for the high to turn it due west, but I'm seeing it go north of me, more into Palm Beach county and not broward....again your thoughts?

[edit on 8-24-2005 by worldwatcher]



posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
If the storm is going west then the north side of the eye will have the worst winds. If the storm is going north then the east side will have the worst. With the counterclockwise circiulation the worst stuff is always against the grain so to speak.



Thanks Indy never knew the storm's direction was a factor. Maybe we can get Pat Robertson to pray for a u turn.



posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Seems the tropical storm is also heading straight for me too, but thats days away so im not too concerned.



posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
Hey Indy

just the person I needed to see online at the moment....

There's a model, I think it is the GFDL that is suggesting a CAT 3 hurricane before south florida landfall... any idea where I can find info on how reliable this model has been in the past...and also what are your thoughts on that possibility???

I've made all my preps, except closing the hurricane shutters, but I have accordian ones which are easy to close, but all my relatives keep calling me for advice if they should put up their's?? I don't know what to tell them, except to have it ready, but my fear is that overnight this thing strenghtens and the weather will deterioate too quickly for some people to get them up???

btw I'm at the borderline of NW broward county, I'd say more central west, how likely is this thing to go north of me? NHC is waiting for the high to turn it due west, but I'm seeing it go north of me, more into Palm Beach county and not broward....again your thoughts?

[edit on 8-24-2005 by worldwatcher]


The only way it could get that strong is if it slows down, that of course will give it more time over the warm water. A few models are showing this happening so it is a possible scenerio. The most important thing to watch is the pressure, the lower the pressure the stronger the storm. RIght now it is about 1002mb(millibars), fairly high for a tropical system and why it is just a minimal tropical storm now. Pressure below 990mb give or take a few millibars is around hurricane strength, if it gets around 970mb or lower then you will have some serious wind. Andrew was around 920 to put things in perspective.

I think the 'eye' will make landfall around Boca Raton and with that track you should be in the weaker part of the storm. If it stalls all bets are off. Also landfalling tropical systems spawn a lot of tornadoes so anyone in south and central Florida needs to be on the lookout from now until the sytem goes away.



new topics

top topics



 
0
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join