It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien Abduction :A Global Analysis

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2022 @ 05:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone
Hynopompic hallucinations (sleep paralysis) may account for some experiences but I've read quite a few cases where the abductees/contactees were not sleeping.
Japenese research is probably further ahead, but in the classic defintion of "sleep paralysis", the person was considered to be awake, as stated in the article I linked on page 1:

Alien Abduction? Science Calls It Sleep Paralysis

So what is sleep paralysis?

Even after many years of study, particularly in the last decade, it remains mysterious. Experts have trouble even saying definitively whether a person is asleep or awake during sleep paralysis.

''In the classic definition, you are awake,'' said Emmanuel Mignot, director of the Center for Narcolepsy at Stanford University Medical School. ''But in practice, there's a gradient between being awake and being in REM sleep,'' he said, adding that sleep paralysis lies in a murky place on that slope.

Furthermore, to be a little nitpicky, we can refer to both hypnopompic and hypnogogic states and in the latter the person starts fully awake, then can enter sleep paralysis so saying a person was awake does not in any way rule out sleep paralysis if they entered a hypnogogic state. Now if you say they were never paralyzed or could move, then perhaps sleep paralysis can be questioned.

The hypnopompic state (or hypnopompia) is the state of consciousness leading out of sleep, a term coined by the psychical researcher Frederic Myers. Its mirror is the hypnagogic state at sleep onset; though often conflated, the two states are not identical and have a different phenomenological character. Hypnopompic and hypnagogic hallucinations are frequently accompanied by sleep paralysis, which is a state wherein one is consciously aware of one's surroundings but unable to move or speak.

Also, consider that people who are awake can suddenly fall asleep in a condition called "narcolepsy", but full sleep is not the only possibility, since they can also suddenly enter a hypnogogic state. This is why I don't think it's justifiable to say "the person wasn't sleeping, therefore it couldn't have been sleep paralysis", because they might be awake and enter a hypnogogic state, and never really fall completely asleep.

edit on 2022121 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Dec, 1 2022 @ 05:40 AM
link   
The CIA and FBI recently stated aliens are real and these cucks on here are saying you’re mentally ill if you disclose it. Lmaoo

The quality of ATS has seriously gone down hill.

posted on Dec, 1 2022 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: NorCal

The CIA and FBI recently stated aliens are real

Source???

...and these cucks on here are saying you’re mentally ill if you disclose it. Lmaoo

Perhaps your reading comprehension skills need sharpening.

posted on Dec, 1 2022 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

A person can have an overactive imagination, daydream, fantasy dream but when it comes to the abduction/contact isn't it strange how we all get the same warnings from the aliens about nuclear power...

Only 10 of the reports compiled mention the world 'nuclear', a further 5 mentioned the word 'atomic'. Which is a tiny fraction of a percent of them. Certainly not all.

Oh and to comment on your global analysis: if we assume alien abduction reporting is due to mental illness, does it not stand to reason that the numbers would increase year over year due to population growth and the increase in mental illness in the general population?

Well the figures do show increasing numbers. Not necessarily year-on-year but decade on decade.

However, not all people who report an alien abduction are mentally ill and not all mentally ill people report being abducted by aliens. There's not necessarily a large correlation there.

That all said, once you remove the hoaxes, the pranks and obviously crazy stories, there's still something there that remains unexplained requiring a deeper study.

A combination of MUFON, CUFOS & FUFOR did run an "Ambient Monitoring Project "

...The overall idea of the project was to place a data collecting sensor system in the home of a repeat abduction experiencer. We did this with great success and learned many valuable lessons along the way. The experiment allowed us to collect very large amounts of physical data that may or may not correspond to the abduction phenomena. 

For five years the UFO Research Coalition actively operated the project with basically two years devoted to instrument development and to three years devoted to data collection....

The MUFON Ambient (Abduction) Monitoring Project (AMP)

There's more information here : documents.theblackvault.com...

Unfortunately, this was around the time Bigelow was funding MUFON with government money, and it all seems to have fizzled out with the final results remaining locked away in the vaults. Hmm.

posted on Dec, 1 2022 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: NorCal
The CIA and FBI recently stated aliens are real and these cucks on here are saying you’re mentally ill if you disclose it. Lmaoo
The Harvard researcher who researched alien abduction claims said no such thing, in fact she said "abductees are sane and intelligent people" as I posted in the description of her video posted on page 1 of this thread:

"Clancy argues that abductees are sane and intelligent people who have unwittingly created vivid false memories from a toxic mix of nightmares, culturally available texts (abduction reports began only after stories of extraterrestrials appeared in films and on TV), and a powerful drive for meaning that science is unable to satisfy."

posted on Dec, 1 2022 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur

originally posted by: NorCal
The Harvard researcher who researched alien abduction claims said no such thing, in fact she said "abductees are sane and intelligent people" as I posted in the description of her video posted on page 1 of this thread:

"Clancy argues that abductees are sane and intelligent people who have unwittingly created vivid false memories from a toxic mix of nightmares, culturally available texts (abduction reports began only after stories of extraterrestrials appeared in films and on TV), and a powerful drive for meaning that science is unable to satisfy."

That's nice.
Not untrue also I'm pretty sure, especially the drive for meaning part.
So why do so many otherwise sane and intelligent people question reality so much?
Is it perhaps possible they had experiences our society has no place for?
Those 'false memories' are real to those that experienced them. Even if they happened 100% only in their mind they're real.
Even if there'll never be a vid or pic, how could you say these things are false? Do you know what consciousness is?
Everything happens only in our consciousness. But nobody knows what it is.
So what's the criteria for 'consciousness events' to be false or real?

posted on Dec, 1 2022 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

What I meant by the case studies I have read is that the abductees/contactees were not at home in bed, rather they were out and about riding bicycles, boating, walking, driving, etc. So if someone can have sleep paralysis while doing activities then that's another thing altogether.
edit on q000000431231America/Chicago3030America/Chicago12 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2022 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: mirageman

The main point I was trying to make was that every time I read someone else's abduction/contactee story, I always find 'specific' similarities to my own experience (what little I can recall) and I think I've read quite a few stories. So perhaps the stories I read the instances of similarities, such as nuclear power being mentioned, is of a higher rate than what stories you are referring to.

Also as to the global analysis, if we are discussing the potentiality of mental disorders as being some of the causes of the spike in reporting (including pranking), then could not the influx of immigrants who may come from countries where superstitions are believed play into the increased reporting. I know I've read a couple stories from Mexico and they absolutely believe in extraterrestrial visits in that country (where supertitious beliefs may play a part?).

posted on Dec, 1 2022 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple
One example is when a detective interviews multiple witnesses who all witnessed the same crime. He will get various descriptions from various witnesses and almost inevitably there will be some disagreements from witness to witness. So which witness is correct, if any?

If the security camera shows something different and hasn't been tampered with, that's the consciousness-independent recording of what actually happened. The security camera should be given more weight when there's a discrepancy between what the camera shows and what witnesses say. The fact that we don't understand consciousness doesn't really falsify what the camera recorded, does it?

If I was having multiple abduction experiences, I would install security cameras to try to record the abductions. I don't know why all repeating abductees don't do this.

posted on Dec, 1 2022 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Folks, you’re missing one major thing.

The power of the so-called aliens to control the mind of the abductees.

Healings have been said to happen. Many things we usually associate with advanced mystics have been related.

All that is true or as false as any of the reported abduction experiences, which we can’t verify or debunk

BTW...here is an entertaining TUBI doc on this subject...tubitv.com...

It is not scientific and has a lot of Whitley Strieber.

I respect Strieber. Comically though, I don't mean in a mocking sense since if this is at all true, we can understand the trauma of such an experience... I recall his episode with the visitors, as he calls them when he asked whether he can smell them!

edit on 1-12-2022 by peaceinoutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2022 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: peaceinoutz
Folks, you’re missing one major thing.

The power of the so-called aliens to control the mind of the abductees.

Healings have been said to happen. Many things we usually associate with advanced mystics have been related.

All that is true or as false as any of the reported abduction experiences, which we can’t verify or debunk

BTW...here is an entertaining TUBI doc on this subject...tubitv.com...

It is not scientific and has a lot of Whitley Strieber.

I respect Strieber. Comically though, I don't mean in a mocking sense since if this is at all true, we can understand the trauma of such an experience... I recall his episode with the visitors, as he calls them when he asked whether he can smell them!

I can recall being paralyzed (while walking to school) but I recall always having my mind under my control and free thought. So I'm wondering if the shock and trauma experienced by some other people may account for that misinterpretation of them not having control over their mind due to shock/terror etc?

posted on Dec, 1 2022 @ 10:23 AM
link   

And you would see nothing. I'm not arguing that there's physically not nothing happening.

I'm sorry I'm linking my own thread but I just wrote it and don't want to do it twice.
If we live in a information based universe you can assume everything your information processing system says is real is at least something to be considered.
Other make ups of existence are possible as Tegmark with his Tachyons has proven.
3 dimensions of time one for space. Just imagine.
How does time store information?
Consciousness.

edit on 1-12-2022 by Peeple because: ly

posted on Dec, 1 2022 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

What I meant by the case studies I have read is that the abductees/contactees were not at home in bed, rather they were out and about riding bicycles, boating, walking, driving, etc. So if someone can have sleep paralysis while doing activities then that's another thing altogether.
Narcolepsy can occur anywhere, so being in a car or on a boat doesn't exclude narcolepsy. A passenger in a car or boat can be paralyzed in a hypnogogic state

Falling asleep while driving is dangerous but it's happened to me before, however I wasn't paralyzed, I just closed my eyes too long and the rumble strips on the shoulder of the interstate woke me up (that's what they are there for). If someone became paralyzed while driving, that could be very dangerous.

Sleep paralysis is not claimed to explain all abduction experiences, however it would appear to potentially explain quite a few.

posted on Dec, 1 2022 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Narcolepsy is also classified as a lifelong disorder so abductees/contatees would supposedly have experiences throughout their lives. Point being, these mental or neurological disorders that may or may not cause some of the experiences should for the most part have reasonably been diagnosed by a doctor and thus would explain away any alien abduction experience, if not diagnosed, then the subject would have alien encounters for their lifetime, which most don't. So, I'm not on the bandwagon that we can explain away people's alien encounters with mental/neurological disorders, but I'm not ruling out that it may be a disorder that we just haven't been able to explain yet.

posted on Dec, 1 2022 @ 10:36 AM
link   

There are varying degrees of experiences in terms of being out or in control that have been reported.

Certainly, one being levitated out of a window into a craft is not in control of their physical facilities.

Strieber records not being in control, and he was so afraid when the female alien asked him what they could do, he asked to smell her!

I’m only referring to what has been reported.

But there are many ways to take over someone’s consciousness or mind: Mesmerism or hypnosis, drugs, and, for example, Ayahuasca, that South American psychoactive drink used by the peoples of the Amazon.

As I said, there have been all kinds of different reports of experiences, some more controlling of the abductee than others.

posted on Dec, 1 2022 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: peaceinoutz

I'm not dismissing what you read, but I've read quite a few cases and I don't recall anyone being mind-controlled. Most experiencers were in a shock and trauma state, as was I when I realized I was paralyzed, who wouldn't be? And with shock and trauma there may also exist a mental state of detachment and confusion.

posted on Dec, 1 2022 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Trauma means traumatic experience. That means first was the experience that caused

detachment and confusion.

Just because to you it was 'just' paralyzed doesn't mean others didn't get more.

edit on 1-12-2022 by Peeple because: forgot

Imagine you'd be two people looking at the stars with another person you both get paralyzed and both see zig-zagging lights playing chase with eachother, crazy angles, crazy lightshow with changing light intensity, from full stopp to crazy speed and vice versa in basically no time. Both experience exactly the same.
That happened to me.

edit on 1-12-2022 by Peeple because: add

posted on Dec, 1 2022 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

That's why I said in my previous post, I'm not dismissing what you've read.

posted on Dec, 1 2022 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I've edited.

what you've read.

Experienced not read.

edit on 1-12-2022 by Peeple because: lol

posted on Dec, 1 2022 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

I've eddited.

what you've read.

Experienced not read.

I'm not understanding you, are you saying when you were looking at the zig-zagging lights among the stars that your mind was controlled by aliens?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join