It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazon Bans Tommy Robinson’s Book, ‘Mohammed’s Koran’

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

originally posted by: uncommitted

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Stop wasting my time with crap.

aclu-co.org...

Private business aren't allowed to DISCRIMINATE against anyone.

I don’t know if that’s the case in America but in the U.K. it is perfectly responsible for amazon to do this.

The UK doesn't have free speech protected like in the US that's why people can get thrown in jail for hurting someone feelings or offending someone

That's just the kind of nonsense that gets posted on ATS from people who not only don't know what they are talking about, but don't bother to look up the details prior to posting. Hate speech that can get you into problems with the law in the UK are defined very specifically around advocation of violence against a group of society, making credible threats of violence against particular individuals etc.

You may think in some really weird way America is morally superior but scratch the surface of your 'free speech' rights and you'll find that actually they are not all inclusive.

Not quite sure what this has to do with a retailer deciding not to sell a particular product though.

Exactly because hate speech is different to alot of people. In the US you can say what you want as long as you don't harass or promote violence. It's a beautiful thing

Did you actually read my post? What you described matches the UK so what exactly is your point? If someone posts advocating violence against a group of society or a direct threat of violence to an individual in the UK it will get you at least under suspicion. From what you have said it's your understanding is that the USA is the same - Sorry, you seem to be missing the point a little.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 11:07 AM
link   

aclu-co.org...

I don’t know if that’s the case in America but in the U.K. it is perfectly responsible for amazon to do this.

The UK doesn't have free speech protected like in the US that's why people can get thrown in jail for hurting someone feelings or offending someone

That's just the kind of nonsense that gets posted on ATS from people who not only don't know what they are talking about, but don't bother to look up the details prior to posting. Hate speech that can get you into problems with the law in the UK are defined very specifically around advocation of violence against a group of society, making credible threats of violence against particular individuals etc.

You may think in some really weird way America is morally superior but scratch the surface of your 'free speech' rights and you'll find that actually they are not all inclusive.

Not quite sure what this has to do with a retailer deciding not to sell a particular product though.

Exactly because hate speech is different to alot of people. In the US you can say what you want as long as you don't harass or promote violence. It's a beautiful thing

Pretty much how it is in the U.K., I mean sure you get the occasional wired one where someone gets punished unfairly but for the most part that’s how it works.

(post by TinySickTears removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

My point is I don't see Tommy Robinson promoting violence to the point he deserves mass Censorship. I don't even agree with alot of his points.Same with milo, Alex Jones and numerous other personalities that's been silenced by major tech companies for wrong think.

You can say you wanna throw a kid in a wood chipper for wearing a Maga hat on Twitter but get banned for anti Islamic tweets.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   

My point is I don't see Tommy Robinson promoting violence to the point he deserves mass Censorship. I don't even agree with alot of his points.Same with milo, Alex Jones and numerous other personalities that's been silenced by major tech companies for wrong think.

You can say you wanna throw a kid in a wood chipper for wearing a Maga hat on Twitter but get banned for anti Islamic tweets.

I don’t actually think the issue was that it was calling for violence rather that Amazon didn’t want to be associated with him and that the book was deemed to be offensive to their customers. It’s simply there decision, they could ban noddy for being too jolly if they wanted to.

To help you understand, Tommy Robinson is probably the closest guy we have to David duke.
edit on 6-3-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   

What's that got to do with....

A) Your comment about free speech and how you thought hurting someones feelings landed you in jail in the UK or

B) Whether a company working in a capitalist economy is allowed to sell whatever they wish?

Also, I think you may know a lot less about Tommy Robinson and the people that follow him than you think, how the hell you equate that to the nonsense in your country about wearing a red cap is beyond me, and if the 'anti Islamic tweets' you mention advocate violence (or if they were aimed at any other group in society) then you should expect to get banned - I'm struggling to see why you can't comprehend that?

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I agree with you that they can do what they want and not sell the book But I can also call out their bias and hypocrisy

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

I see your point, but I don't think it relevant to the bigger point that a non government entity (Amazon, in this case) has the right to sell, or not sell whatever they see fit.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   

a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I agree with you that they can do what they want and not sell the book But I can also call out their bias and hypocrisy

Absolutely nobody is stopping your or saying you can’t make that point.

I am glad we are in agreement then.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

We, in the West, need to wake up to what is happening - and how it is being driven and faciliated by the Tech-monopolies - and not let our freedoms slip through our fingers.

We need more people retaining old books. Remember Ray Bradburys Fahrenheit 451 - Only the hard copy written word will help us through the coming dark ages.

Anything thats digital is easily manipulated

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mach2

I see your point, but I don't think it relevant to the bigger point that a non government entity (Amazon, in this case) has the right to sell, or not sell whatever they see fit.

Everyone should be concerned with these massive companies have this much control over open debate and ideas. In my humble opinion
edit on 6-3-2019 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

hehehe - looks like they want to shut this thread down as well

TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Not sure if you commented in my thread in the rant forum about 'free speech' which has now beeen closed by ATS for review but that thread was gaining attention which some members of ATS don't like, so they go out of their way to derail the thread! Pretty sure they may come try and get your thread closed down too.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

give it a rest - we can see right through you

Dude you have a screw loose me thinks.....

. Maybe one day you may get a doxing.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mach2

Everyone should be concerned with these massive companies have this much control over open debate and ideas. In my humble opinion

I think you are overestimating their power.

Sure, sheep are going to be sheep, but i use the sevices of many of these companies, and have never had my opinions changed by them.

I also don't think they are suppressing debate, in any way.

A better target for your concern is probably the libitard education system we have allowed to take root. That is truly an impediment to open debate.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Then you should be arguing for stricter antitrust laws. Not trying to argue that the government should target one specific company because they took advantage of the rules.

Did you have any problem when Walmart refused to sell music because of its content? Did the government need to step in and make them sell NWA's Straight Outta Compton?

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 11:52 AM
link   

aclu-co.org...

Pretty much how it is in the U.K., I mean sure you get the occasional wired one where someone gets punished unfairly but for the most part that’s how it works.

Wasn't a women arrested recently for calling a transwoman a man on twitter? Ans doesn't the UK have something like 2500 police who's job is to scan social media for offensive posts? Doesn't sound very free to me.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
I'm surprised so many grant neo the courtesy of trying to have a discussion.

It is impossible

It's clear he has an agenda

What a GD load are garbage his posts are.

Ahahaha

Many people think the same about you.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   
This is unacceptable this is nothing more then clear and pure censorship just to please a religious group or religion while bending over to their demands.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: gallop

What I see going on is people that religiously defend the Constitution and are very opposed to government regulation demanding that the government step in and prevent a business from operating how they see fit.

I'm hoping for; if you dont sell one offense, then you dont sell the opposing nonsense either.

Used to be a red flag on what a retailer supports and doesnt. Thats the point here

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Most people mistakenly believe everywhere on the Internet is in the public domain. It's not. If you think you have rights--you will be sadly disappointed.

Unless you are posting information, products, and services for sale on a Website that you've paid to host your stuff (or you own the servers), you cannot claim "censorship" when a Website refuses to hang your wares on their site.

It is that simple.

To make it even simpler, think of any Website as someone's living room in their home: you are there because you've been invited. If you say or do anything to offend them, they can legally require you to leave the premises.

And then you can stand out in the street and have a little temper tantrum about being kicked out, but you will be wasting your energy.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join