It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain Jarring Could Be Why Many NFL Players Protest and Forget the Anthems Significance.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   
August 10, 2018

This might be WHY only National Football League (NFL) players kneel, hold up fists, or hide in the locker-room, when the NATIONAL ANTHEM of our great country is being sung before the game.

After the 2017/2018 NFL season ended, I realized that none of the Baseball, Basketball, or Hockey atheletes were publicly protesting against anything.

Now that the 2018/2019 NFL season has started, those players are once again protesting against some aspect(s) of America.

This makes you examine what makes football different than the other major U.S. sports. The BIGGEST difference is that Football is extremely VIOLENT. It's estimated by sports physicians and sports scientists, that 90% of NFL players have some degree of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) disease, brought on by too many hits to the head.

Source for 90% CTE Stat: www.vox.com...

Study of the disease and its effects are still in the early stages. It is therefore possible that CTE could make NFL players extremely suseptible to being ANGRY...and often times, more angry than the situation warrants. There is not a month that goes by, where we don't hear about some NFL player being involved in domestic, or public, acts of violence.

I believe protesting the conditions in America is a CTE-induced OVER-REACTION to some relatively small grievance that they're upset about. IMO, if you ask 10 Americans what the NFL guys are protesting, you'll get 7-10 different answers.

More studying and countering of this insididious disease needs to occur. We shouldn't blame NFL players for their emotional and physical reactions, because 90% are not fully in control of them. (IMO)

What do you think ATS? Are NFL players 100% personally responsible for their actions?

-CareWeMust

edit on 8/10/2018 by carewemust because: formatting adjustment

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

1. I think the players are solely responsible for their actions.

2. I don't care any more.

I really don't. I don't watch football, don't listen to football.

I find I have so much more free time now.

I am turned off by all of this as a former loyal football watcher.

I'm done. Was going to give them another chance this year but, meh.

Why bother.

Waste of my time.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   

bunk...

politicizing serious medical matters.

This might be WHY only National Football League (NFL) players kneel

bunk...

Seattle Reign FC and U.S. women's national soccer team player Megan Rapinoe knelt during the national anthem in a game on September 5, 2016, explaining that her decision was a "nod to Kaepernick and everything that he's standing for right now".[92] In a subsequent match at the Washington Spirit, Spirit owner Bill Lynch – anticipating Rapinoe's protest – moved the national anthem's performance without warning or notice to occur before the players' appearances on the pitch

College

On September 7, 2016, three volleyball players from West Virginia Tech knelt during the national anthem.[98][99]

High school

On September 2, 2016, a football player at Brunswick High School in Ohio knelt during the national anthem after he heard his teammates saying "'n-word'".[99]After his protest, the player received racial threats.[105] 

On September 23, 2017, Bruce Maxwell of the Oakland Athletics knelt during the national anthem, becoming the first MLB player to join the protest. His team backed him up by saying, "The Oakland A's pride ourselves on being inclusive.

Basketball

On September 24, 2017, prior to Game 1 of the 2017 WNBA Finals, players from the Los Angeles Sparkschose to stay in the locker room during the national anthem, while members of the Minnesota Lynxlocked arms on the court.[111]

Ice hockey

On October 7, 2017, J. T. Brown of the Tampa Bay Lightning raised his fist while standing on the bench during the national anthem

edit on 10-8-2018 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 08:39 PM
link   
you can wrap that flag around you all you want, but if you don't value what that flag stands for it means nothing..
and one of the things that flag stands for is the right to protest, the right to kneel, to stand, to sit, or whatever.
heck, probably many of those who are griping about the players kneeling are off gathering their snacks and beers while the anthem is being played on their tv.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   
We all know why they are protesting. They know why they are protesting. But institutional racism and the ongoing subjugation of blacks in the USA is not a subject the right wants front and center. Too many facts involved and too few black people on the right for that to actually be discussed.

Cue a classic Trump style narrative rewrite! They have brain issues & hate the flag! Jesus.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Ok. Your vote is recorded. No mental impairment responsibilty.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

"No medical excuse" is your response. Noted.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 08:54 PM
link   
A straight up question and not deliberately leading, but why does anyone in America care when people use their right to free speech? I thought that was the crack over there?

To put in context, I'm a white lad from one of the most destitute areas in the UK. I was stop and searched nearly every night while young and working as a bar man, so I know a lot of the identity politics is bull * cough snip. They go for the poor, not the skin colour here. Though I have never visited your beautiful country so couldn't possibly speculate there.

I just don't quite get it, but then again, I'm antisocial personality (dissocial nowadays), so I appreciate that I don't get much when it comes to passionate matters.

Peace to you all and may your God or non-gods bless you.

And yes, I always sing my anthem.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: okrian

Cue a classic Trump style narrative rewrite! They have brain issues & hate the flag! Jesus.

The two could be connected. Otherwise they would protest inner-city crime dont cha think?

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   

We all know why they are protesting. They know why they are protesting. But institutional racism and the ongoing subjugation of blacks in the USA is not a subject the right wants front and center. Too many facts involved and too few black people on the right for that to actually be discussed.

Did you just wake up in the 21st Century , Rip ?
Van Winkle that is....
Things have changed since you went to sleep.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TheWisestCumbrian

Most Americans have HUGE egos. Their opinion should be the gospel of the land. Little or no tolerence for those who dont agree.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   

I can certainly see that my friend, but from here it looks like it applies both ways; much like what y'all (Americanism :roll
have been saying on these boards for months/years.Divisiveness.

I mean, I've written two books on the Nazi's and the way it gets thrown around on here is both disturbing and amusing at the same time, but hey, at least get the marshmallows out while the world burns eh?!

Strangely, I don't approve of taking down objects of cultural importance, but I also don't like neo-Nazi's (both Grandads fought the real ones). Makes it hard to get head or tail of the matter

Take care Care

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Does anyone really count the WNBA as a sport? I mean if you could find $5 on the ground or a front row ticket to a wNBA game, which one would you pick

one would think the sexism of the NBA with the wage gap that's big AF would tick off the cis women. Here's hoping trans men take over the WNBA, that will be the only way that league will be watchable.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

Your excellent Meme perfectly demonstrates that SOMETHING is wrong with thise NFL player's thought processes. Could be from too much violence on the field...or many other reasons. This thread merely points out one potential cause that makes NFL players irrational protests stand-out more, than their counterparts in other sports.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheWisestCumbrian

Strangely, I don't approve of taking down objects of cultural importance, but I also don't like neo-Nazi's (both Grandads fought the real ones). Makes it hard to get head or tail of the matter

Take care Care

Your thought process is not "strange", TWC. It's normal. People tend to become less tolerant of symbols, if those symbols remind them of unpleasant events. Here in America, it may reach a point where people will not know that slavery was once legal in this country. They started with the statues last year. Next, it could be text books wiped clean of those unpleasant memories.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 11:25 PM
link   

I'm confused.

Institutionalized racism in America and the ongoing subjugation of blacks is just a part of what the Democratic party stands for. Always has been. Always will be.

Now it's Trump's fault?

wha?

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Aye. To me I believe in understanding the past to solve the future, but then again we didn't really do slavery, just the knobs in London made money and organised the shipping (wankers).

I could explain a few things where I have fallen foul of censorship, even though the info comes directly from the United States Holocaust Museum, but tbh, it's a yawn and I don't like to get involved with political style issues (which everything is nowadays).

I wish you all well on both sides of the aisle and may I say, I hope everything starts to ease. The Lake District in the UK is the most beautiful land a person can ever see. Come over. Take a break

The Langdale Pikes are amazing.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Why is this a thing, again? Why does protesting bother so many? And it’s totally non violent, loot free, and over in minutes. What’s the problem here?

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 01:15 AM
link   
One question, are they sportsmen or singers?

There was a discussion in Germany too, about players of the german national football team not singing the hymn. Sure it was because of the not "bio-german" players with migrant background that didn´t sing, side by side with many of the "bio-german" players who didn´t sing. But for the rightwingers it was only a problem that some of the not "bio-german" players didn´t sing. Coincidence?

And the best question i heard, regarding this hymn crap was:
Are they singers or football players?

And no, here nobody has to sing the hymn. Why? It´s minutes before a important match, players are in concentration, their thoughts are maybe anywhere than with the text of hymn. That text btw is known by at most 50 or less percent of the german people. This is not Nazi-Germany anymore(except in some parts of Germany, east and south), where the hymn was "religion".

Ah, and then they showed videos of the 1970´s and 1980`s, national football team. When they all were "real germans". Nobody of them sang that hymn before a match.

Because they are footbal players and not singers!

Btw, don´t you have your Beyonce´s and Gagaladies to sing stuff?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join