It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain Jarring Could Be Why Many NFL Players Protest and Forget the Anthems Significance.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

It was officially sanctioned (codified into Law) as the "National Anthem" of the United States on March 3, 1931. However, it had generally been accepted to be the national anthem long before this, but it wasn't law. Two of the main thrusts for its legal status were the VFW petition in 1930 and ironically a cartoon, published in 1929 by none other than "Ripley's Believe It or Not".

"Believe It or Not, America has no national anthem".
- Robert Ripley

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

No, what you said was...

So after seeing this response from the crowd Red Sox owner Harry Frazee hired a band to play The Star-Spangled Banner before all three games at Fenway Park and the tradition was born. From this point it was played opening day and the world series. This leads to the star spangled banner becoming the national anthem on March 3rd 1931 in large part do to all the veterans that fought in world war 1 .

All I was doing was clarifying the fact that the Star Spangled Banner had already been accepted as the anthem of the nation long before the World Series, and frankly before WW1 also.

Not putting words in your mouth (I'll let you do that), just clarifying the record.

ETA - Now had you said, the events of WW1 helped solidify the commitment to legally ratify the Star Spangled Banner into Law (or something similar), I would have agreed.

And really, I interpreted your point as being (generally) that is was sports (specifically the World Series) which caused the Star Spangled Banner to be recognized as the National Anthem. And that sports and the National Anthem are deeply intertwined. Wasn't that the fundamental point of your 'History Lesson'?

In any case, no harm no foul.

edit on 8/12/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2  3   >>

join