It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain Jarring Could Be Why Many NFL Players Protest and Forget the Anthems Significance.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: carewemust

Why is this a thing, again? Why does protesting bother so many? And it’s totally non violent, loot free, and over in minutes. What’s the problem here?

I don't know. This thread was started in order find out if many ATS members feel that "brain trauma" could be why NFL players protest during the National Anthem, more so than Baseball, Hockey, Basketball, etc. players. And why they would elevate police brutality above inner city violence.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Sure, you’re talking about brain injuries but you’re also politicizing it. Didn’t Trump just recently attack the NFL, perhaps in another Twitter rant? Maybe that’s why you’re talking all of this?

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: DerBeobachter

One question, are they sportsmen or singers?

And the best question i heard, regarding this hymn crap was:
Are they singers or football players?

Btw, don´t you have your Beyonce´s and Gagaladies to sing stuff?

Obviously, NFL players are sportsmen. No one expects them to sing the National Anthem.

But it is customary in America to stand at attention and face the U.S. flag while the Anthem is being SUNG or PLAYED, before the game. At the games I attend, most people in the stadium (including myself) place our hand over their heart. Some do sing along as well.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I don’t give a crap what they pretend to protest. They are disrespecting our flag and I won’t be watching these overpaid clowns play their game anymore.

The NFL should have dealt with this day one and instead mishandled the entire thing. Players should have been fired or released.

They can disrespect America without my help. I hope the NFL dies.

ETA. They may have the right to protest, but I have the right not to support these assholes. Good riddance NFL.

edit on 2018/8/11 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

My opening post was not political in nature. If I felt that it was, I would have started this thread in the Political Mudpit, instead of SkunkWorks.

I don't know if President Trump tweeted/spoke about the renewed round of NFL players protesting things. I saw it on one of the news stations this morning, and decided to start this thread a few hours later, and that potential link between CTE/Brain Trauma and NFL players protesting came to mind.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 01:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

But it is customary in America to stand at attention and face the U.S. flag while the Anthem is being SUNG or PLAYED, before the game.

This all started back in 2009, the players standing on the field for the anthem. So almost 10 years ago the players sat in their locker rooms while you stood for the anthem so it's recently customary but not some kind of long standing tradition.

And too boot, home viewers usually don't get to see the anthem because the networks don't run cuz advertising instead $$$. So all this hoopla over players protesting by the Right is making their protest being heard around the world.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Very true. They CAN protest. You CAN steer clear of any activities or purchases that support the NFL.

More people should have your attitude. Instead of trying to CHANGE others, AVOID them.

BTW.. It's obvious you do not feel that "brain trauma" causes any of the NFL players to protest, during the National Anthem.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Seriously? Of course your thread is political in nature, to say the least! All of your threads are political! LOL!
edit on 11-8-2018 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 01:59 AM
link   

But it is customary in America to stand at attention and face the U.S. flag while the Anthem is being SUNG or PLAYED, before the game.

This all started back in 2009, the players standing on the field for the anthem. So almost 10 years ago the players sat in their locker rooms while you stood for the anthem so it's recently customary but not some kind of long standing tradition.

And too boot, home viewers usually don't get to see the anthem because the networks don't run cuz advertising instead $$$. So all this hoopla over players protesting by the Right is making their protest being heard around the world.

You have no idea what your talking about here is 1971 and they stood for the national anthem.

edit on 8/11/18 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Depending on how the global media portrays the protests and reactions, NFL players can garner sympathy, or be seen as disrespectful.

Is police brutality STILL the main thing they're unhappy about? I've not followed it that closely since the league came out with new rules last year.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Seriously? Of course your thread is political in nature, to say the least! All of your threads are political! LOL!

If it's not too much trouble, could you point out the section(s) of my O.P. that are POLITICAL in nature?

I started a thread recently about how a space ship travelling at light speed can't communicate. All of my threads are NOT political.
edit on 8/11/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

I guess that does away with my theory of CTE/Brain Damage being a possible reason for the protests. In 1971 there was far less head protection, yet every NFL player stood proudly at attention. Black..White...all of them.

So now we're back to NFL players intentionally spitting on the millions of brave men, women, children, who have died in the process, of making America great. Damn.

edit on 8/11/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 02:42 AM
link   

That's when Obama was elected as the first Black President. Do you think there's a connection there?

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 02:43 AM
link   

a reply to: dragonridr

I guess that does away with my theory of CTE/Brain Damage being a possible reason for the protests. In 1971 there was far less head protection, yet every NFL player stood proudly at attention. Black..White...all of them.

So now we're back to NFL players intentionally spitting on the millions of brave men, women, children, who have died in the process, of making America great. Damn.

sure yea...

its not just nfl players protesting as pointed out in my post debunking your opening line in the op...

were there not head injuries before the protests? are only players who protest susceptible to brain trauma...

reducing what could be a life threatening trauma to menial and lame political assertions is what mental illness may actually look like.
no person in their right mind would seriously make this connection.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 02:49 AM
link   

BTW.. It's obvious you do not feel that "brain trauma" causes any of the NFL players to protest, during the National Anthem.

No, I don’t believe that is the case.

They simply started as brain-dead disrespectful ass-hats. However, I don’t blame the players as much as I blame the owners. The owners have every right to fire employees that affect their forward facing product with negative behavior.

It is the owners that should have acted immediately to fix this problem. If they had dealt with this day one we wouldn’t be where we are today.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 03:13 AM
link   
That brain injury part might work with why certain members on this site support trump and Russia at the same time while being patriotic Americans

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Brain Jarring Could Be Why Many NFL Players Protest and Forget the Anthem's Significance

I don't think it's the players who have forgotten OUR anthem's significance. Starting with the fact that it is OUR anthem and represents OUR nation and people. OUR anthem does not "belong" to the military or any one segment of our population. We honor and respect and appreciate our military for protecting OUR nation, but the anthem does not belong to them.

Our right to protest is specifically enumerated in the Bill of Rights. It is an honored right. Everyone who has served in the military took an oath to protect those rights, including the right to protest. If they cannot and will not stand up for these citizens' right to PEACEFULLY protest as they see fit, then they are not honoring their oath. If they are putting their pride and ego before the Constitutional rights of the people they swore an oath to protect, then they are not honoring their oath. And if their purpose in serving in our military was for their own vain glory, then they are not honoring their oath.

I come from a long line of men and women who have proudly served in the military... all the way back to the Revolution. One of my cousins served in the Marines, was one of the first into Afghanistan, and is now permanently disabled due to his injuries. He is downright ashamed and embarrassed by this kind of talk, because he's made of "greater mettle" than that. My nephew, active military, says our right to protest and those who exercise that right is what "keeps the peace" at home, and help ensure he never has to wage war here at home. No one I know is so namby pamby as to be offended at someone peacefully taking a knee during the anthem. Not even one.

This issue is no different than the flag burning issue from years past. Let's consider what other veterans say about it:

VETERANS FOR COMMON SENSE: “We urge Congress to preserve American civil liberties as guaranteed in the United States Constitution and its amendments. When it comes to the measure under consideration, we believe that the supposed threat of a few incidents of flag burning does not justify the first ever amendment to the First Amendment. The ability to express nonviolent dissent to government policy is central to the American way of life, and we are loathe to amend away this fundamental liberty.”

VETERANS DEFENDING THE BILL OF RIGHTS: “The flag amendment is opposed by a broad spectrum of individuals encompassing conservative and progressive beliefs, including thousands of veterans, who fear the implications for basic American freedoms if the amendment were ratified.”

VETERANS FOR PEACE: “Be it resolved that Veterans for Peace opposes the proposed amendment to the U.S. Constitution to ‘protect’ the flag and calls on veterans, citizens and other organizations to oppose it.”

Veterans Against Flag-Burning Amendment

And there are more quotes here: In Their Own Words: Compendium of Veterans' Quotes Against the Flag Desecration Amendment

All this to say that I don't think it's the military that really has the problem, and I don't think they feel disrespected or insulted. This is exactly why they served. And, sadly, I don't believe the civilians making the biggest stink about this are doing so for the benefit of those who serve(d) in the military. It's just a "gotcha" way to protest their peaceful protest. However, I don't think any of us are really in our "right mind" any more. There are just too many environmental pollutants compromising our bodies and minds. Traumatic brain injuries might contribute on the part of NFL players, but the general population has its own issues.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Just a quick question to US members if I may.
What level of sport is the national anthem sung at before a match?
Here in the UK you'll only hear it at international events when the 'National Team' is playing another nation's national team.
It seems odd to me for regular league games to have the anthem sung.
It seems even more odd seeing the amount of outrage when players refuse to stand for it, hardly treason or something...or is it?!

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Holy Mother of God. Trump thinks they're too stupid to know what they are doing, and you think they are brain damaged.

Yeah, you have to be stupid and brain damaged to protest the unjustified killings of young black men in the streets, by police.

I hope to God they will do what's right and keep up their protest, stand their ground, exercise their freedom, and refuse to be intimidated by the racist moron we have in office.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Brain Jarring Could Be Why Many NFL Players Protest and Forget the Anthems Significance.

And what kind of brain jarring made pundits to presidents , forget the significance of the protest itself, and misdirect the reasons those protest in the same tradition of Ali or the 68 Olympics

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join