It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain Jarring Could Be Why Many NFL Players Protest and Forget the Anthems Significance.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I think you missed the point completely. No one is arguing they don't have the right to protest. The problem becomes the lack of respect they display to the country that gave them that right. Be like me going to your grandmothers funeral and heckling her. I have the right to do it but its in poor taste and as we know something that shouldn't be done in polite society.

You have rights to do a lot of things doesn't mean its an appropriate thing to do. In any society you have to have things considered common decency for any civilization to survive. Americans don't have a lot of things that unite them but one of the things that does is love of the flag and the country that flag stands for. If you show disrespect to the country by say standing for god dave the queen showing respect to the british government. Then the national anthem comes on and you take a knee just shows you understand that the action is disrespectful.

So if you think being disrespectful is a way to bring people to care about your cause your a fool. You do yourself and your cause a disservice.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Trump is going to try to work everybody up in a frenzy about this again, and it is just a simple, peaceful protest.

Plus, the Russians have already admitted to encouraging it to bolster our conflicts in their bogus sites last go-round.

Sigh. Some people never learn.

Trump+Russia = Chaos. It's what they want, and by George, they're getting it.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

. Some people never learn. 

Because gas lighting simply works better..

edit on 11-8-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
After the 2017/2018 NFL season ended, I realized that none of the Baseball, Basketball, or Hockey atheletes were publicly protesting against anything.

I've seen this in hockey. I don't watch baseball or basketball so I can't comment on that.

Now that the 2018/2019 NFL season has started, those players are once again protesting against some aspect(s) of America.

That's their entire point. Some of America isn't so great in their opinion.

As to the rest, it's not brain functions that make them less patriotic. There's a problem that they want discussed. Now if we can start discussing the problem and spend less time bitching about their protest we might get somewhere.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
a reply to: Boadicea

I think you missed the point completely. No one is arguing they don't have the right to protest. The problem becomes the lack of respect they display to the country that gave them that right.

With all due respect, I think you are missing the point completely. The country didn't give them the right to protest, "Nature's God" gave us the ability -- and therefore the right -- to protest. The country (and the Constitution/Bill of Rights) only guarantees the protection of our right to protest.

Be like me going to your grandmothers funeral and heckling her.

Because the country is dead? Um... no.

I have the right to do it but its in poor taste and as we know something that shouldn't be done in polite society.

In poor taste, I would agree. I think there are much better ways to protest -- directly and proactively. My problem with this protest is that it faults the entire nation and her people, not those behaving badly. As we know right here on ATS, there are plenty of people protesting excessive use of force by police, and plenty who understand it isn't just against Black folks, but all of us. There is no virtue in "Black Lives Matter" and no virtue in "Blue Lives Matter" because ALL LIVES MATTER. However, that's where BLM comes in, to muddy the waters and divide the people.

But "polite" society? No. We have become a very self-serving, rude and disrespectful society.

You have rights to do a lot of things... doesn't mean its an appropriate thing to do.

Appropriate is a relative word. Obviously, some folks feel this is very appropriate. As long as they're not hurting anyone, our responsibility is to respect their peaceful protest. Not tolerate, not whine, not insult... respect.

So if you think being disrespectful is a way to bring people to care about your cause your a fool. You do yourself and your cause a disservice.

Indeed.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   
So, several thoughts here...

1. No, I don't think brain injuries are why the NFL players kneel for the National Anthem. I think they're using their visibility to make a statement. They're grandstanding. And I feel they should be held accountable for not going out there and doing ONLY what they are paid to do...play football and respect the system which gives them that opportunity. Sorry, but that's how I feel.

2. I am particularly angered by the subject they've allegedly chosen to protest about. Sure, police brutality exists and it's wrong, illegal and perpetrators should be prosecuted and jailed for it. No argument there. However, aren't there bigger issues to take a stand on? Police brutality is a media magnet and a public hot button, but there are far more serious issues in this very society which are far more common, and far more worthy of some over-paid free agent NFL player's taking a knee over. What about domestic violence, or child molestation, or inner-city murder rates? These crimes kill 10,000% more people than cops ever did...and it happens every single day, not just once every couple months. No, they've chosen police brutality because they know it's a public hot-button, and it gets traction in the media, so they're on-board with it...because they get mileage out of it themselves. They don't want a solution to a problem...they want to make a name for themselves. It's selfish and it's BS.

3. Professional football is dead. It has been since free agency. Long gone are the days where one team rose to glory because of an elite squad of loyal players who consistently beat their opponents fairly and squarely. Long gone are the teams who had players who played their entire careers for one team. Now, the NFL is just a collection of selfish individuals who roam around the league from team to team and play for the highest bidder. It's a joke. They might as well be prostitutes. Fan loyalty to a team anymore is just a fantasy, because your star players may be playing for your arch rival next year.

4. The final nail in the NFL coffin is the notion the sport causes irreparable harm and that players are somehow being wronged as a result. This is the absolute icing on the cake! NEWSFLASH: FOOTBALL HAS ALWAYS BEEN A DANGEROUS SPORT! Ever since the very first coin toss, the sport of football has been a deadly sport...with consequences. Players consciously chose to get involved in the sport and they have been paid handsomely to take these risks. To stand there now, in the 21st century, and act like long term injuries are suddenly a surprise is the absolute biggest crock of S# I can think of! Boo Hoooo! If you don't like it, guess what? GET OUT - DON'T PLAY!! Simple. Jeezus.

5. Lastly, people have a right to protest, a right to free speech. It's the foundation of this once great country. However, no one ever said free speech doesn't come without consequences. As an NFL player you are first and foremost and "employee" of a corporation. You are paid to do a job. Within the rules for that job is a code of conduct. That code of conduct states you will essentially do what the boss tells you to do. As an employee you are free to exercise your right to free speech...ON YOUR OWN TIME! When you punch that clock, you will do what the boss says and only what the boss says, or there will be consequences. Using your position as an employee of an organization to leverage some political point is not okay. It just isn't. You and I don't get away with doing that at our job, so why should they? They are not privileged (as much as many would like to think they are), they are just employees, nothing more.
edit on 8/11/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Good observation. It's painfully obvious now that NFL players are intentionally spitting on the graves of millions of brave Americans. Americans who made a country that enables them to make Millions of $$$$ per year.

I was hoping that we could find a "brain trauma" reason for their actions.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Good observation. It's painfully obvious now that NFL players are intentionally spitting on the graves of millions of brave Americans. Americans who made a country that enables them to make Millions of $$$$ per year.

I was hoping that we could find a "brain trauma" reason for their actions.

This is utter drama queen bs. Were you crying when you wrote it?

It's painfully obvious now that NFL players are intentionally spitting on the graves of millions of brave Americans.

Do you seriously not understand how absurd this sounds?

It stands to reason, given as many wars that we have, and have had, that many of these players have parents, brother and sisters, nieces and nephews, and friends who have served in the military. Do you honestly believe they are staging this protest so they can "spit on their graves"?
edit on 8/11/2018 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Not to mentioned that it was a Vet, who proposed taking a knee rather than sitting out the anthem which to him was respectful.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: okrian
We all know why they are protesting. They know why they are protesting. But institutional racism and the ongoing subjugation of blacks in the USA is not a subject the right wants front and center. Too many facts involved and too few black people on the right for that to actually be discussed.

Cue a classic Trump style narrative rewrite! They have brain issues & hate the flag! Jesus.

Did you just wake up in the 21st Century , Rip ?
Van Winkle that is....
Things have changed since you went to sleep.

Ah, the ole 'We made laws that say everyone is equal so preto!... Everyone is now all instantly equal! No need to talk about it anymore' approach right? Facts be damned? Back in reality things are still really messed up. Prolly not for you though so who cares right?

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: okrian
We all know why they are protesting. They know why they are protesting. But institutional racism and the ongoing subjugation of blacks in the USA is not a subject the right wants front and center. Too many facts involved and too few black people on the right for that to actually be discussed.

Cue a classic Trump style narrative rewrite! They have brain issues & hate the flag! Jesus.

I'm confused.

Institutionalized racism in America and the ongoing subjugation of blacks is just a part of what the Democratic party stands for. Always has been. Always will be.

Now it's Trump's fault?

wha?

I'm confused.

Where did I say it's Trumps fault?

I said that the subjugation of blacks and institutionalized racism is a topic that the right (and specifically Trump) wants to deflect away from and rewrite the narrative (in this case into some flag-waving false anger). Which is painfully obvious. Nice attempt to rewrite my narrative also though... your master has taught you well. Kind of.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
heck, probably many of those who are griping about the players kneeling are off gathering their snacks and beers while the anthem is being played on their tv.

Last time this debate was going on I thought closing the snack bars during the anthem would be a good test of how important it really is to people.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

HEH...true...true!

LOL!!

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I used to love football and now the very idea of watching it makes my stomach turn. I'm over it. I watch English Premier League and champions league and stuff like that now. Way way way better. It has Integrity but still high drama. It's awesome.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

i think people here would benefit having a history lesson. The star spangled banner was originally the anthem for the army and the navy. Even before it became the national anthem sports was what created the national anthem.

Our story begins at the first world series game September 5th 1918 Boston Red Sox, who defeated the Chicago Cubs 4 games. World war one began April 6, 1917 for Americans and things were not going well at all. There was talk to not even hold the world series as many players were being drafted to fight overseas. several players actually had to get extensions just to play the world series while others actually were furloughed to play the game because of the importance to many soldiers fighting in France .

So it was the 7th inning and as people started to stand for the seventh inning stretch the band started playing the National anthem. ill let the New York times article explain what happened next.

"As the crowd of 10,274 spectators stood up to take their afternoon yawn, that has been the privilege and custom of baseball fans for many generations, the band broke forth to the strains of 'The Star-Spangled Banner.' The yawn was checked and heads were bared as the ball players turned quickly about and faced the music. Jackie Fred Thomas of the U.S. Navy was at attention, as he stood erect, with his eyes set on the flag fluttering at the top of the lofty pole in right field. First the song was taken up by a few, then others joined, and when the final notes came, a great volume of melody rolled across the field. It was at the very end that the onlookers exploded into thunderous applause and rent the air with a cheer that marked the highest point of the day's enthusiasm." While fans got up and stretched, the Naval Training School Band -- which frequently attended Cubs games and even had a recruitment booth stationed at Wrigley Field -- struck up the national anthem, and immediately, both fans and players stood to attention.

So after seeing this response from the crowd Red Sox owner Harry Frazee hired a band to play The Star-Spangled Banner before all three games at Fenway Park and the tradition was born. From this point it was played opening day and the world series. This leads to the star spangled banner becoming the national anthem on March 3rd 1931 in large part do to all the veterans that fought in world war 1 .

If you understand history disrespecting the National anthem is disrespecting the veterans that fought and died for this country. Now being a veteran my self ill defend anyone's right to protest. However you do not have to disrespect the people that defends those rights to do it, There is other ways to protest players could go to the local police office and protest id bet the mayor would want to talk. But see thats not what they want they want to shock and they want to offend people.
edit on 8/12/18 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr
That was an interesting story

I'd always wondered why US sports teams play the anthem for regular league games.
Here in the UK you will only hear the anthem when a national team is playing the national team of another country. Domestic games you will never hear the anthem.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Weeeeellllll...I'm not sure I'd go that far.

The Star Spangled Banner had been introduced as a bill petitioning for it to be the "National Anthem" back as early as 1918. The bill (in varying forms) was introduced six times between 1918 and 1931 when it was finally ratified. This was following a petition circulated by the VFW (in 1930), which garnered 5 million signatures, lobbying for the Star Spangled Banner to be adopted as the National Anthem.

So, saying it was only the 1931 World Series which lead to the adoption of the Star Spangled Banner as the National Anthem is a bit of a stretch.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Gosh, I'm learning loads here

So the 'Red Sox' story only describes how the anthem came to be part of domestic sports matches then?
It was already the official anthem of the US?

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Weeeeellllll...I'm not sure I'd go that far.

The Star Spangled Banner had been introduced as a bill petitioning for it to be the "National Anthem" back as early as 1918. The bill (in varying forms) was introduced six times between 1918 and 1931 when it was finally ratified. This was following a petition circulated by the VFW (in 1930), which garnered 5 million signatures, lobbying for the Star Spangled Banner to be adopted as the National Anthem.

So, saying it was only the 1931 World Series which lead to the adoption of the Star Spangled Banner as the National Anthem is a bit of a stretch.

I didn't say that in fact you did. Do you always put words in peoples mouth. What i said is this helps the push dor the star spangled banner and leads to the petitions. It wasn't the only factor just the largest one as veterans pushed to get the song recognized.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
Gosh, I'm learning loads here

So the 'Red Sox' story only describes how the anthem came to be part of domestic sports matches then?
It was already the official anthem of the US?

Not yet it was the first steps. In 1918 it was known as the army and navy hymn.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join