It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Words that just iritate the hell out of you.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

originally posted by: Lab4Us
My biggest pet peave is those that are too lazy to pronounce “asked” correctly. There are no sharp blades in that word and murder is not implied by the word, so please quit pronouncing it “axed”! Thank You!

*peeve.

Lol...thanks! At least I can pronounce it based on the letters and syllables it contains...

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

My biggest pet peave is those that are too lazy to pronounce “asked” correctly. There are no sharp blades in that word and murder is not implied by the word, so please quit pronouncing it “axed”! Thank You!

www.smithsonianmag.com...

ahem

Lol...Soon as you can show me an “x’ in the word “asked”, I’ll pronounce it as an alternate to hatcheted!

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I forgot one. I flat out can't stand the word "flammable". It's supposed to be "inflammable", as in, "able to be inflamed", but a lot of people not understanding the meaning brought about a new word. Changing a language for ignorance. URG!!!

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
I forgot one. I flat out can't stand the word "flammable". It's supposed to be "inflammable", as in, "able to be inflamed", but a lot of people not understanding the meaning brought about a new word. Changing a language for ignorance. URG!!!

Weird.

When I see flammable I think something that is easily set on fire. Inflammable, the opposite.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: norhoc
a reply to: nonspecific

I HATE the phrase " Going Forward"--- That is the only we can go, there is no need to say it
from the "get go" chafes my butt- when you thank a young person these days lets say a server in a restaurant they will invariably say "NO Problem" - instead of YOUR WELCOME-no problem is a problem- same as saying I don't give a #hit. -have lots of pet peeves.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

*peeve.

Lol...thanks! At least I can pronounce it based on the letters and syllables it contains...

Yeah, but people who read it might think "too lazy to spell correctly."

Since you said

those that are too lazy to pronounce “asked” correctly.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss I can dig it -Nom sayin?

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes if it doesn't burn it's nonflammable and burns inflammable -thx

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes
A similar example of ignorance is "reticent to speak"; since "reticent" means "reluctant to speak" (from TACEO, "I am silent"), the second half is unnecessary.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:39 AM
link   
There are some Finnish words that the young people use these days when something is really awesome or cool in their opinion. They sound strange and sometimes i can't even understand. But that is only because i am a fossil of a fart compared to them.

I think i will just say "Social media" It is not too "social" actually, and gives a twisted sense of world and self.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

Touch base.

That is right up there with singing off the same hymn sheet.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Tunes that gets pronounced silly stupid toons.

Oh My Guard instead of Oh My God.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Finspiracy
There are some Finnish words that the young people use these days when something is really awesome or cool in their opinion. They sound strange and sometimes i can't even understand. But that is only because i am a fossil of a fart compared to them.

I think i will just say "Social media" It is not too "social" actually, and gives a twisted sense of world and self.

In the UK youngsters have started to use the "word" peng when someone is good looking.

I understand that new generations need to use new and different words to form an independant culture and seperate from the older generations but peng does not even sound like a real word.

It is like they ran out of real words to use and all that is left is phonetically weak jumbles of letters.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:58 AM
link   

I fully agree with you. Good post

I need to add one. Actually it is not a word it is a phrase. "I could care less" used in a context where one clearly means the subject does not matter to the writer at all. My first language is Finnish, i make mistakes in english all the time. But i couldn't care less

I am not even sure if that irritates me or makes me slightly amused or facepalm or what

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Finspiracy

I fully agree with you. Good post

I need to add one. Actually it is not a word it is a phrase. "I could care less" used in a context where one clearly means the subject does not matter to the writer at all. My first language is Finnish, i make mistakes in english all the time. But i couldn't care less

I am not even sure if that irritates me or makes me slightly amused or facepalm or what

Add "I never did nothing" to that list.

I love smiling and talking about double negatives with an irate teenager.
edit on 6/11/2017 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 03:09 AM
link   
"Toxic Masculinity"

This one has to go.

edit on 6-11-2017 by Blastoff because: Punctuation

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku
on the internet, 'triggered, sheeple, red pilled' things like that.

though not as annoying as people who need a paragraph to say a sentance.

I quite enjoy "Triggered". Most fascinating that the snowflakes made it their sort of slogan, when I would have expected their critics to been the ones to come up with it as an insult to their hissy fit temper tantrum behavior.

"Sheeple" is a classic jab at mindless groupthink follow the leader hivemind human behavior, is a perfect portmanteau, and all too often its so true.

Now "Red Pilled" is interesting in the modern era. 10 years ago it'd have been an alternate phrase for "woken up" (to the cold dark truth of Grand Deception + willful ignorance idealism we've all been spoon fed indoctrinated with our entire lives). Generally I'd only expect to see such a term spoken as a intellectual 'coming of age' complement. Yet today the SJW's have actually managed to turn it into an insult for when their fellow SJW's start waking up to the BS that SJW'ism is (which is indoctrination into irrational hyper-racist hivemind mindset dripping with quazi-facist tendencies, this social engineering brought to US by our elite robberbarron masters to keep US all divided and diverted from Them).

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 03:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: ttobban

First of all, just because the government came up with the term marijuana as it was scheduled a class 1 substance it shouldn't be included with the end of prohibition. It should be given the term, 'cannabis' back as the rightful term.

Secondly, are there such realities as 'recreational coffee', 'recreational tobacco', or 'recreational alcohol' laws??? It's kind of laughable that cannabis is termed recreational... how about 'FULL ACCESS'?

To hear people say 'Recreational Marijuana' kind of makes people look incredibly uneducated on the subject... in my opinion.

Yes, thank you, "Marijuana" annoys the hell out of me too.

"Cannabis" is the genus name of the plant family, so most people back then I think knew it that or as as "Hemp", because it was the primary sail making material.

So what the Government needed was a new scary stigmatizing word to differentiate it from the old knowns, that everyone knew wasn't scary.
edit on 6-11-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 03:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

"it is what it is."

Most redundant phrase ever.

YEP!

I was once talking to a guy my coworkers buddy who was hanging out at the shop, laying on him my whole 'grand framework' at the time for the diabolical system we're all subject to, which he was actually trying to here, yet I swear he must have said "it is what it is" at least 2 dozen times in the half hour we were chatting.

It came off almost as if a sort of validation to the items he was giving it as a quazi-response to, even though it didn't seem like he was trying to 'validate' the evil talking points. Maybe he was just using it wrong? That didn't strike me as the issue either, but who knows, which only adds to its annoying phrase metrics.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 04:23 AM
link   
For some reason, "supper" bothers me, it makes me twitchy and I hate it. It sounds all wrong, and I just cant put my finger on why. I know it's the proper term for the evening meal, and "dinner" started out as referring to breakfast, and then later referred to lunch, but "supper" still sounds wrong.

originally posted by: Admitted
Two words I see repeatedly in message boards but NEVER hear in conversation: methinks and indeed.

Ugh.

I would drive you up the wall. My husband and I both would, we use it verbally. Usually when being sarcastic about something.

And thanks to Teal'c, I've been regularly tossing out "indeed" in conversation since 1997

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join