It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Words that just iritate the hell out of you.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Challenge.

Usually it seems to mean wasting your time and energy on some stupid crap instead of facing up to the challenges life presents.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Cockapoo.

My brother was going to get one of those but he got a labradoodle instead.

Can't make this # up can you?

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

You can add that one to the list as well.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kester

Challenge.

Usually it seems to mean wasting your time and energy on some stupid crap instead of facing up to the challenges life presents.

A bit like the phrase charecter building you mean?

that always sounds awful with a good chance of being tired, wet and miserble all at the same time.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
"Hamburger". It isnt even ham. Surely this is one of the most asinine words ever.

for a split second I thought that said "hamburglar". which would have been absurd, because that's just part of the institution.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Okay what about this one:

"Homophobe" is about the lamest way a word is wielded that I know about. I mean imagine some one bitching about capitalism, for example, and then the other person goes 'oh yeah well you're a capitalismphobe', and then in the next breath the person alleges that the capitalismphobe is actually a closet capitalist.

personally, i can think of legitimate, rational reasons one might object to capitalism. i have a harder time thinking of a legitimate, rational reason to object to homosexuality... unless you are saying 'no thank you, i would not like to be homosexual with you but have a pleasant day.'

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: PolyCottonBlend

"Hamburger". It isnt even ham. Surely this is one of the most asinine words ever.

for a split second I thought that said "hamburglar". which would have been absurd, because that's just part of the institution.

A part of the institution that could well have been institutionalised at some point.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
My biggest pet peave is those that are too lazy to pronounce “asked” correctly. There are no sharp blades in that word and murder is not implied by the word, so please quit pronouncing it “axed”! Thank You!

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us
My biggest pet peave is those that are too lazy to pronounce “asked” correctly. There are no sharp blades in that word and murder is not implied by the word, so please quit pronouncing it “axed”! Thank You!

www.smithsonianmag.com...

ahem

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us

*peeve.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Irregardless - it's not even a real word, but people use it all the time.

In writing, the phrase "should of" or "could of". No. Just no.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
terro-rist (because the newz tells you this and people are scared, last week my friends in my gym were like, 'are you really going to the city tonite?' i live here, of course im going out on halloween)

na-zi (because i hate how many lies there are about w2)

philanthropist (sure)

social justice warrior

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Along with that is 'fixing.'

"I'm 'fixing' to do such and such."

No. And...

No.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

irregardless is a real word.

irregardless
ˌɪrɪˈɡɑːdləs/
adjective & adverbinformal
adjective: irregardless; adverb: irregardless

regardless.
"the photographer always says, irregardless of how his subjects are feeling, ‘Smile!’"

Origin

Mid 19th century: probably a blend of irrespective and regardless.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
Along with that is 'fixing.'

"I'm 'fixing' to do such and such."

No. And...

No.

i'm fixin' to have my south-midwest-greater appalachian pride hurt over that one, y'all

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
also, "lunch menu only".

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Yes, thank you. As bad as it gets.

Sometimes, I lay awake in worriment, like a billionaire wondering about how many millions have been missed out on (due to pirated music) specifically due to this exact mumbled butchery, and is it the real cause of my discontent?

It happened years ago, within the bounds a casual (paid) endorsement of a luxury car.

As soon as I saw the thing, I froze. I never venture an inch beyond such filth. Then, after a few minutes of fervent watching, at last, came the edit...but alas, the bastard conjugation was still there, and shone more brightly, like a hard polished punchbowl turd that refused to unravel, and could never be undone. Deliberate. And proud of it.

I still cannot believe my eyes, and wondered whether it were not a passive aggressive
portent of the future, of what would come of us in time. Well, it certainly was.

Spam, being chewed like cud, thickly masticated by teeth that are perfect, and sputtering rhetorically through
the annelid slit blued by Victory Gin....”is not the destruction of the English language a beautiful thing, comrade?”

# 907
edit on 5-11-2017 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-11-2017 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
My peeve is educated people using irregardless.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Guesstimate, selfie, vacay, staycay, man bun, to name a few. I'm sure I'll have more once sh# gets too real.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   

"it is what it is."

Most redundant phrase ever.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join