It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Words that just iritate the hell out of you.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   
We all have them and they often differ. Words that for some reason just make you cross when they are used and it defies all reason how much it gets under your skin.

A couple from me for starters and the first is not even a real word.

Libtard. This really gets me and not in the way I assume it is intended, I know it is supposed to be an insult but whenever it is used it makes me feel awqward and embaressed for the person that used it in the same way it does when an elderly person says words like rad or awesome.

Another is something I had to double check even though I know it is somehow a real word.

winningest
ˈwɪnɪŋɪst/
adjectiveNorth Americaninformal
adjective: winningest

having achieved the most success in competition.
"the winningest coach in pro-football history"

It just feels like it should not be a word, it feels wrong phonetically and makes me go a little dizzy trying to understand how it was allowed to exist, it is just not right.

So what words make you cringe or the like?

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Being called a "white supremacist" even though I am not white. Nowadays, the word "white supremacist" is used to smear other people.
edit on 11/5/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Being called a "white supremacist" even though I am not white. Nowadays, white supremacists is used to smear other people.

I can see how that could be considered irksome.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   
"Literally". Most of the time it is used incorrectly. Its improper usage drives me figuatively insane.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Most of mine are either acronyms, like BOGO or YOLO, or portmanteaus, like JLo, Kfed, the newer HepC, and stuff like that.

One phrase that annoys me to no end is "bang for the buck." Make me want to hunt people down and smack the # out of them, lol.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Being called a "white supremacist" even though I am not white. Nowadays, the word white supremacists is used to smear other people.

Just consider yourself the winningest white supremacist on ATS if manage to get some libtards to call you that.

I managed to use them all in a single sentence. You guys must be so irritated!

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I HATE the phrase " Going Forward"--- That is the only we can go, there is no need to say it

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
VIRAL....... bottom line, and yes literally.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Being called a "white supremacist" even though I am not white. Nowadays, the word "white supremacist" is used to smear other people.

i do actually know a white supremacist who isn't white... and i'm not using that term lightly. he literally believes white european culture is superior to all other cultures. i stopped talking to him when he started quoting actual nazi slogans at me.

at any rate, i'm not super picky about language but it does grate on me when someone inserts an R into familiar and pronounces it FURmiliar

by the way... two Rs in irritate

edit on 5-11-2017 by fiverx313 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I can take any insult but I'll respond with a worse one.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
"inner child"
Every time I hear that I feel like we all have a little Chuckie inside us laughing in expectation.
Release your inner child, discover your inner child... I'm sure I never want to do that lol.
Leave the damn Chuckie where it is and never talk about him again!

edit on 5-11-2017 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
GOAT

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   
But more than that, Acronyms. Just what are they planning to do with all the time they saved sounding pseudo-smart.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
it's so hard to state any case for words that [should] bother people because the English language keeps allowing their usage. I'd have to say any "word" added since the dawn of social media gets on my nerves.
I USED to know what the hell a snowflake was.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Two words I see repeatedly in message boards but NEVER hear in conversation: methinks and indeed.

Ugh.
edit on 11/5/2017 by Admitted because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

That really is a real word!! Who woulda thunk 😳

There's a whole page dedicated to it.
ell.stackexchange.com...

it shouldn't be a word. 😕

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Admitted
Two words I see repeatedly in message boards but NEVER hear in conversation: methinks and indeed.

Ugh.

"methinks" should only be used during inner monologues.
edit on 5-11-2017 by PolyCottonBlend because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Irregardless, barmy, bollocks, bugger, rubbish, banger, knackered, cis gender, and a few more that are not t&c friendly.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: PolyCottonBlend

originally posted by: Admitted

Ugh.

"methinks" should only be used during inner monologues.

methinks that is indeed correct, milady

/tips fedora

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Proactive. I hate it! It’s a medicated face wash! I don’t care if people say it, it doesn’t make sense.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join