It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Words that just iritate the hell out of you.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: nonspecific
My mother had a similar blind-spot about "hiatus".The word actually means "a gap". The United States is currently experiencing a hiatus in Presidential electioneering.
My mother used it for moments of crisis and drama. The other morning, a driver carelessly crashed into a parked vehicle near my house. She would have called that event a "hiatus". I'm not sure how she got to that meaning, but I think it was vaguely onomatopoeic.
My father used to try to explain what the word really meant, so she continued using it in her own way with the additional motive of irritating him.

To be fair both words could sound like the incorrect meaning lol.

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   

OINTMENT!

posted on Nov, 8 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
"There is no is."

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: Liquesence
But what are people actually intending to say by "irritates me no end"? Are they truly regretting the lack of purpose in their irritation? Or isn't the real thought in their minds "This irritates me A LOT"?
That's why I still prefer the theory that "no end" carries the meaning "without limit", "infinitely".

That there is no end to the irritability it creates for them.

So, yes: figuratively infinite, as in a lot.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Thought of something else, but it's regional US dialect stuff.

"Pop" drives me bats# crazy, it's one in particular I want to see DIAF as a reference to carbonated beverages. In the south, like in FL where I grew up, any carbonated beverage is a "coke", whether or not it's a Sprite or an RC, Mountain Dew or Pepsi, or an actual Coca-Cola product.

I'll call it soda here in MI when we're running errands and stop to eat, but I still call it coke at home. But I can't say pop when I order a drink, & I bite my tongue every time a cashier or waitress asks if I'd like water, coffee, or pop with my meal

Do I want a pop? How about I pop y....never mind.

True story:

My father's family is from Georgia, where they say 'coke' or 'soda.' My sisters' mother is from the Kentucky hills, where they say 'pop.'

For one of my sister's high school graduation parties, they had a bunch of coolers on the deck, each labeled: water, wine, beer, etc. There were two other coolers: one labeled 'pop' (so the Kentucky folk knew what it was), and one that said 'soda,' for the Georgia folks. Both coolers had exactly the same contents. I always found that amusing.

But yeah, pop has always gotten on my nerves, too.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   
You know what drives me insane? People using initials for EVERYTHING. Everyone and everything!

"YL said in an interview with OC that the HZP was involved with S and they were hiding information from DI and XPGRQLG." God damn, we've gotten so lazy! People don't even take the extra half second it would take to type out the full word. Sometimes (often times) the word(s) or names or places which are/is abbreviated isn't readily obvious.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I have a buddy who used to see some crazy word he had no idea what it meant and later substitute that word in an everyday sentence. It led to some pretty hilarious exchanges. He'd use all the correct inflections of the word he was sustituting for.

So one time we were at a kind of formal gathering and we were just about to leave and as we're walking out the door he turns around to everybody in the room, waves his hand and says "Osmosis!" with a totally straight face (as if he was saying "Bye!).

I didn't really realize what he said until we were outside...and then I busted out laughing.

LOL!

I still chuckle about that.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

hahahahaha - what a beautiful funny story

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

botty botty hahahah

OMG I forgot about that clip

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Mixologist. You are a damned bartender and you know it!

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

There is a "dearth" of posting these last few "dayz"

:"dearth" Annoying!

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

I'm ambivalent with TheConstruKctionofLight's posting's lately.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

I'm ambivalent with TheConstruKctionofLight's posting's lately.

Agreed indeed: He mos-def could curb the discombobulations, and self-empower beyond tribulations.

But postings do not a man make, and he seems like a not-too bad guy.

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

hehe

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join