It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Words that just iritate the hell out of you.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Don't have a problem with the word but how most people pronounce it: nuclear. Most people say "nuc-you-lar" instead of "nuc--lee-ar." Ugh.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: nonspecific

"it is what it is."

Most redundant phrase ever.

Yes! It's also used when someone just doesn't want to talk about whatever is being talked about, anymore. It's a lazy way out.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
"Homophobe" is about the lamest way a word is wielded that I know about.

It's also a wrongly constructed word, so that it doesn't mean what they think it means.
"Homo-" simply means "the same"; hence homomorphic, homophonic, homosexual (same shape, same sound, same sex).
So "homophobic"would have to mean "fear of the same thing".
If they want to say "fear of homosexuality", they need "homosexophobe"- or, better still, "homoerotophobe".
edit on 5-11-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   

IRREGARDLESS is the word that annoys me. I actually stopped my day once, to learn that IRREGARDLESS is recognized as an actual word, while I still refuse to honor it as a word in the English language.

My beef with IRREGARDLESS is due to the following reasons: I feel it's a double negative. Regardless is used to counter a fact or opinion of a previous statement. To add the 'IR' to regardless merely offsets the 'countering' affect of regardless is the way my mind sees it.

Therefore, if someone uses Irregardless with me, I simply remind them that they just agreed with my statement, and hope to never hear the word used again... it should be banned from use.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   
One word I discovered on ATS and detest for its general sloppiness;
"Prolly".
Repeat after me- PRO-BAB-LY.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ttobban
I'm pretty sure that "Irregardless" comes about by confusing and combining "Regardless" and "Irrespective".
The confusion of two usages is quite common. In England, at least, it leads to people saying "on his behalf" when they mean "on his part". "He rushed into a burning house to save someone. That was a very brave act on his behalf".

edit on 5-11-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

PRO-LLY?

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I was just reading a video game site and saw... E-sports. Playing video games is NOT a sport. I wouldn't play them if they were.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

originally posted by: DBCowboy

"it is what it is."

Most redundant phrase ever.

Yes! It's also used when someone just doesn't want to talk about whatever is being talked about, anymore. It's a lazy way out.

Well, it is. . . . . .

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

originally posted by: Liquesence
Along with that is 'fixing.'

"I'm 'fixing' to do such and such."

No. And...

No.

i'm fixin' to have my south-midwest-greater appalachian pride hurt over that one, y'all

Oh, I'm from the south. I grew up hearing "fixing" and probably said it a few times in my childhood.

It was only when I started studying foreign languages—and translating from English to X—that it really annoyed me.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Do you have a problem with "that's the way she goes"?

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico
a reply to: DBCowboy

Do you have a problem with "that's the way she goes"?

Not sure if I've ever used that one.

I often say, "Can't eat soup with a fork!"

And then my wife hits me and says, "Idiot".

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

I feel you're off base with this one a bit, sorry. While I agree e-sports are not to be considered a real sport, an 'e-suffix' simply means that the subject is correlated to the internet. Under your premise, an e-mail is not really mail because it isn't landing in a box on the front lawn.

E-sports are merely sports that are played online in my opinion. If one plays another in an online contest of football, baseball, or hockey... it is an e-sport. Notice I didn't say golf... golf is a game... that's why it was omitted. If one is playing online checkers or chess, then I'd term it, e-gaming.

Hate it or love it, e-sports are here to stay.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Are football, baseball and hockey not games?

IMO, sports require physical activity not button mashing.
edit on 5-11-2017 by Autorico because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Athletic talent is required in sports. I agree that thumbing buttons and swinging a club is merely gaming. Now, we seemingly agree that sports consists of such examples as: football, hockey, baseball, basketball, soccer, or cricket. I too feel there should be a new title given to thumb coordinators, but it does not change the existence of video games, of which include sports. If football, basketball, or any of the many of athletically required sports are played on a video game or online based platform, then what's being played is undeniably an e-sporting event... it would be sports being played on a video game based/e-based platform. Playing sports in an 'e' platform is a very real and concrete way to define them. Like I said, an e-mail is still mail... its just mail in an 'e' format.

It seems like your disgust with the title stems from an area of displeasure with the users being touted as athletes more so than you may be upset with the titles offered to the platform as a whole? Regardless, sports on an 'e' platform is termed in the correct manner, sorry... until further notice anyway.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Touch base.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Well I don't like it!

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Hahaha... sorry, I was having fun at the expense of your nerves. I actually agree with you...

If there's another one I can think of, it would be 'recreational marijuana'.

First of all, just because the government came up with the term marijuana as it was scheduled a class 1 substance it shouldn't be included with the end of prohibition. It should be given the term, 'cannabis' back as the rightful term.

Secondly, are there such realities as 'recreational coffee', 'recreational tobacco', or 'recreational alcohol' laws??? It's kind of laughable that cannabis is termed recreational... how about 'FULL ACCESS'?

To hear people say 'Recreational Marijuana' kind of makes people look incredibly uneducated on the subject... in my opinion.

I just use the phrases we speak of to indicate who is particular over wording... nothing more and nothing less. It steers my level of debate is all. If people credit e-gamers to be athletes or cannabis users to use recreational marijuana, then I know how deep to steer the level of debate onto such subjects. If someone uses the term, 'full access cannabis' they caught my attention as someone that may have knowledge to share on the subject.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
Words are innocent. As it turns out, we are just irritating ourselves.

We are in fact annoying others as we do not use words that irritate ourselves.

The fact that you must first hear, understand and process the word proves it is you who irritates yourself.

The birth of a new conspiracy: Folks are now being triggered to self-irritate!

"It's terrible!", says someone who looks like a victim.

Some other guy standing by a pick-up says:" They just came right up to us, and started some chit-chat. Seemed innocent enough. Then they started using the word 'Actually', then again, then over and over. It was actually this, and actually that, and they just wouldn't stop. We tried to change the subject, but they wouldn't stop! It was just terrible!

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Most of mine are either acronyms, like BOGO or YOLO, or portmanteaus, like JLo, Kfed, the newer HepC, and stuff like that.

One phrase that annoys me to no end is "bang for the buck." Make me want to hunt people down and smack the # out of them, lol.

Wouldn't a portmanteau be more along the lines of "bearplane" or "giraffeteria"?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join