It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Words that just iritate the hell out of you.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

light uncooked tea

I came to Australia at the age of 4.I could never get my head around "eating tea"
Used to have dinner at my friends and never saw the liquid tea served. And here we are.. you Brits are funny.

On a more serious note...do you ever attend "vespers"?

edit on 6-11-2017 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: PsychicCroMag

Or when a waiter says to a mixed couple "what can i get you guy's?"

The "you guys" that's a Northern Midwest thing. YOu can say it to a car full of girls, in Michigan, and they wouldn't even register it. At least not as teens in the 90's there.

a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Aw shucks, there though it should register as "annoying-phrase metrics".

Metric being used as a synonym of dynamic.

A usage I picked up from my software engineering genius friend from Pittsburgh.
edit on 6-11-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   

On a more serious note...do you ever attend "vespers"?

Not an official service of the Church of England. They might do it at the Anglo-Catholic end of the church.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 06:52 AM
link   

We had our vows - if the church marriage ritual is what you're referring to. But it was in a Greek Orthodox church and in spoken Greek. My wife would think I had or was having affair if I pulled the "with my body I worship thee" line.

I despise "worship" in the judicial. I despise "lords" and the whole boondoggle.

from Frank Herbert's "The Jesus Incident"
wiki

The book takes place at an indeterminate time following the events in Destination: Void. At the end of Destination: Void the crew of the ship had succeeded in creating an artificial consciousness. The new conscious being, now known as 'Ship', gains a level of awareness that allows it to manipulate space and time. Ship instantly transports itself to a planet which it has decided the crew will colonize, christening it "Pandora". The first book ends with a demand from Ship for the crew to learn how to WorShip or how to establish a relationship with Ship, a godlike being.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

hahaha...I remember you telling us about your unfortunate accident. Sorry I didn't mean to be spiteful. I should have clarified with a

BTW - thanks for a great thread!

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I'll never forget how "buzzed" on maryjane me and my 2 best friends were when and saw the first star wars in 1977.

The last things on our mind were how what Hans Solo said to Leia. Imperial class star destroyers and lasers...haha

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   

"metrics" ...lol ...I'll forgive you - you're a valuable contributor that I learn off.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 07:05 AM
link   

I was curious, saw a movie once, set in the 1500's. I had to look up what vespers meant. Thanks

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Note that the very first 'word that irritates the hell out of me' I listed herein was "Worship".

But not when, the way Han Solo uses it.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   

I vote this thread continue like the acronym threads....

I just remembered the phrase a lot of OPs use that irritates me.

"blah blah blah"
what say you ATS...?

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Did you really put up with "it is what it is" 2 dozen times? I would have run out to scream in the toilet..either that or have been charged with assault. I commend you in your patience.

I was once talking to a guy my coworkers buddy who was hanging out at the shop, laying on him my whole 'grand framework' at the time for the diabolical system we're all subject to, which he was actually trying to here, yet I swear he must have said "it is what it is" at least 2 dozen times in the half hour we were chatting.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   

I vote this thread continue like the acronym threads....

I just remembered the phrase a lot of OPs use that irritates me.

"blah blah blah"
what say you ATS...?

That is about as annoying as those members that write thier name at the bottom of their post in case you have forgotten reading it on the side a few seconds ago and needed a reminder.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   
The top of my list would include...

"Mouth breather" - just cannot stand that phrase!!! Everyone breaths through their mouth.

"Network"/"Networking" - As in, "From 12-12:30 there will be a lunch and networking session". Just say what it really is, and don't try to come up with some important sounding term for it! "From 12-12:30 will be a lunch break" Why is that so dang hard???

"That" - Aside from the word "like", the word "that" is probably the most over used and unnecessary word in the English language...certainly in writing. I do a lot of proof reading and many of my colleagues call me "The 'That' Slayer". And it's true, I am on a crusade against the word "that". Ninety-nine times out of 100 the word "that" can be removed from a sentence and the sentence reads better without it. Totally unnecessary word. In fact, there are very few instances in which the word "that" can be properly employed.

"like" - GAH, don't even get me started!! ...else I shove-th thy spoon down thine throat and choke-th upon it! ...And then I shall return-eth to the "Valley" from whence I came.

edit on 11/6/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us
Lol...Soon as you can show me an “x’ in the word “asked”, I’ll pronounce it as an alternate to hatcheted!

“The people who use the ax pronunciation are using the pronunciation that has been handed down, in an unbroken form, for a thousand years,” says Jesse Shiedlower from the American Dialect Society to NPR.

“It is not a new thing; it is not a mistake,” he says. “It is a regular feature of English.”

Sheidlower says you can trace “ax” back to the eighth century. The pronunciation derives from the Old English verb “acsian.” Chaucer used “ax.” It’s in the first complete English translation of the Bible (the Coverdale Bible): ” ‘Axe and it shall be given.’

www.smithsonianmag.com...

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
I was once talking to a guy my coworkers buddy who was hanging out at the shop, laying on him my whole 'grand framework' at the time for the diabolical system we're all subject to, which he was actually trying to here, yet I swear he must have said "it is what it is" at least 2 dozen times in the half hour we were chatting.

he was probably trying to get you to stop talking, hehe

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
The "you guys" that's a Northern Midwest thing. YOu can say it to a car full of girls, in Michigan, and they wouldn't even register it. At least not as teens in the 90's there.

it goes a little further south, too. i grew up right where, linguistically, 'you guys' gives way to 'y'all'.
edit on 6-11-2017 by fiverx313 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   

thier name at the bottom of their post in case you have forgotten reading it on the side a few seconds ago

How could I forget that

signed
King Crimson (hehe)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

For tongue in cheek sometimes I do a hybrid "Y'all Guys".

"Y'all" rather annoying too.

Most of my years now spent in the deep deep south, I still cant bring myself to utter it unless either to talk specifically about it or use in tongue in cheek (as noted above, but sometimes I like to mix different slangs accents and foreign word translations in together in the same sentences).

My first year back here as an adult, at one lunch break I proposed: "If you all = y'all then shouldn't we all = w'all?".

Other southern vernacular includes "get er done", and the less noted but more brazen redneck permutation of "get er did".

Some northern vernacular that annoys southerners is "doorwall" (sliding glass door), "power washer" (pressure washer) and "hilo" (forklift).

Then another southerner word that bugs me is "buggy" (shopping cart). It seems like something that only should be said in Proper England.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

You could always protest in those threads by signing their name at the end of all your posts in it. It'd cause 'total havok'.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Strangely enough I'm tired of the liberals calling people facist,or racist,makes me embarrassed a liberal is a human,when they possess the mannerism's of an ,and while they critcize they try to make themselves as someone special,very superficial

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Did somebody have an issue with this phrase?
edit on 6-11-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
I forgot one. I flat out can't stand the word "flammable". It's supposed to be "inflammable", as in, "able to be inflamed", but a lot of people not understanding the meaning brought about a new word. Changing a language for ignorance. URG!!!

Weird.

When I see flammable I think something that is easily set on fire. Inflammable, the opposite.

That's what a lot apparently think, since "flammable" is now the common usage. Yet "inflammable" simply means "easily inflamed". Here is a link that explains a bit of the history of the words, for those interested:

What Is the Difference Between Flammable and Inflammable?

It still bugs me. Teaching the correct meaning seems better, to me, than changing the word. I do understand, though, the desire for safety.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join