It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mike Pence’s NFL Walkout Was a Cheap, Transparent Stunt (at a cost to the taxpayer)

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

I would be too if I knew I could get away with it while people cheer me on while they pay for it.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2

Fiscally, Obama was much better than Bush and Trump.

The budget under Trump will only increase the defecit but the right ignores this reality.

I propose we start taking a knee in front of the White House in hopes of making Trump vacate the premises.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
"Cost" Taxpayer" "NFL"

The only time those words should be used, is when discussing how the fans and non-fans, get screwed into paying for those billion dollar stadiums.

In which, after they are forced to pay for them, the team can still up and move.

Don't care about Pence, the NFL has plenty of issues that piss off fans.

Government has and will always waste tax payer dollars.

We give it away to other countries, without asking tax payers our opinion on where our money is sent.

So this is a non story.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Those with a hard-on over government travel waste, should investigate, flag, and estimate the cost of each top Trump Administration official's trip this year. All that info is available to you.

Bring it to America's attention and hold a protest at the White House. I'm sure you'll find some professional protestors to join you.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Those with a hard-on over government travel waste, should investigate, flag, and estimate the cost of each top Trump Administration official's trip this year. All that info is available to you.

Bring it to America's attention and hold a protest at the White House. I'm sure you'll find some professional protestors to join you.

I have a problem with wagging the dog.

The reality is this stunt has no effect on the common person.at all. And it's a fact that the vast majority doesn't care enough to take it seriously even if annoyed by the kneeling.

It's a waste of time, effort, and audience.

Especially when the criminal justice system and policing are in dire straits.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Im shocked he is stooping to this, if im being honest. He picked a game that was guaranteed to create his reaction. He probably had an appointment that had to be met already, as he planned the walk out.

I mean, he is the VP. He's actually a dead weight position. So i can't say "He has better things to be doing". But the nationalistic divisiveness is wearing thin on me.

Ill tell you what I won't do: stop watching football. Its one of the few things I enjoy. I just tune in 10 minutes late and miss all the stupidity at the beginning. Just that simple to remove politics from the NFL for me.

With that said...some of the NFL rules changes are making the game anything but "football". The targeting call, in particular, is being misused and miscalled pretty frequently. If I stop watching football, it won't be because of politics. It'll be because playing football safely isn't that fun to see.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

And what do you think the NFL players are pulling by kneeling out of disrespect for a national anthem? In the country where they live as kings as millionaires, get off rape and murder charges, etc.

Want to talk about a waste of money? Football. Those players on the field make WAY more money in ONE game than 200k that Pence "wasted" (which wasn't a waste. he made a statement that needed to be made). Cute that you probably think it's acceptable for the players to kneel but nobody else is allowed. Are you a BLM supporter as well? Seems the same logic, where it's only brave and revolutionary if one party does it. Hence "black lives matter" turning to violence and idiocy as soon as somebody suggests ALL lives should matter.

If you care about Peurto Rico, ask the players to donate 10% of their salary for the game. That'll cover TONS of aid purchases... But this isn't about money, is it? You're just a hypocrite.

To recap: it's amazingly brave and forward thinking for a bunch of overpaid, CFE damaged butt slappers to disrespect a country, but not for the VP? Lol the hypocrisy is alive and well here, and this is the exact point Pence shined light on.

Sick and tired of the pot calling the kettle black. BLM / NFL kneeling will be remembered as pathetic and disrespectful soon enough.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I sure as heck won't stop the Eagles finally have the start of a good team. Watching McNab give up in the fourth qt at the end of his career and the almost Brown's list of qb's since I actually bought a cable package I would never spend money on during this season.

Sorry if your a cowboys fan.

link   

I have an idea, a player gets fined cause the ref throws a flag for a personal foul.

The video reply can show he didn't hit the guy, and they got the call wrong.

Of the refs throw a flag, and get the call wrong.

How about refs get fined for every wrong call, that might help this flag decorating mess.

link   

Why shouldn't he "stoop to this"? What do you think the players are doing? Being paid for by ticket sales by the members of the country they disrespect. Sad they've managed to poison your minds so thoroughly.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Securing a football stadium is much more than just having his Secret Service detail attend the game with him. They're going to be in there in the days and weeks leading up to the game swiping every square inch of that place. They're going to be running down the backgrounds of employees to determine whether any of them are potential threats. That alone is a lot of expensive man hours.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: hombero

And what do you think the NFL players are pulling by kneeling out of disrespect for a national anthem? In the country where they live as kings as millionaires, get off rape and murder charges, etc.

Want to talk about a waste of money? Football. Those players on the field make WAY more money in ONE game than 200k that Pence "wasted" (which wasn't a waste. he made a statement that needed to be made). Cute that you probably think it's acceptable for the players to kneel but nobody else is allowed. Are you a BLM supporter as well? Seems the same logic, where it's only brave and revolutionary if one party does it. Hence "black lives matter" turning to violence and idiocy as soon as somebody suggests ALL lives should matter.

If you care about Peurto Rico, ask the players to donate 10% of their salary for the game. That'll cover TONS of aid purchases... But this isn't about money, is it? You're just a hypocrite.

To recap: it's amazingly brave and forward thinking for a bunch of overpaid, CFE damaged butt slappers to disrespect a country, but not for the VP? Lol the hypocrisy is alive and well here, and this is the exact point Pence shined light on.

Sick and tired of the pot calling the kettle black. BLM / NFL kneeling will be remembered as pathetic and disrespectful soon enough.

I think if you dig in the NFL players as a whole are some of the largest givers in that income bracket. A guy on the Eagles just gave 6 paychecks, players have raised millions and donated millions to the hurricane.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Why shouldn't he "stoop to this"? What do you think the players are doing? Being paid for by ticket sales by the members of the country they disrespect. Sad they've managed to poison your minds so thoroughly.

They are paid to play football...and they do. They are not paid to stand for the anthem. THEN you might have a point.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

The players are being petulant children. I expect nothing more from people who limp through school to get a liberal arts or business management degree. They are wanting attention, but doing nothing with that attention when they get it.

Me? I don't give 2 flying effs about the flag. Its a symbol. If im being real honest, i feel more affinity for the Texas Flag than the US Flag, and like my state better than the rest of the country.

If you feel disrespected by strangers making a mostly quiet protest, you are easily offended. Seriously. Just skip the beginning of the game, don't read the headlines, and you'd never even know it was happening.

Total tempest in a teapot. Nothing about this story will have any real impact on anyones day to day lives. Nothing about this story is relevant to anything other than Sunday afternoon. Im seriously more concerned with biting this hang nail off my finger than someone "disrespecting" our flag. Even the vets that are being "disrespected" don't seem to care, at least not unanimously.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Whatever the child like leaders can do to keep US divided, that's exactly what they are doing and it's working.

I don't need or want dumbasses representing me or leading me. Enough is enough. We haven't had a good leader in decades upon decades and we never will.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I really object to that stereo type. As a wrestling coach a lot of these guys get their first steady meals and shelter in college. By that point they have already worked incredibly hard at a very complex game to be granted scholarships.

Now that situation suddenly having millions doesnt work out great many times but we aren't talking about a mass of trust fund kids like at liberal universities.

But everything else I completely agrew with.

edit on 9-10-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
a reply to: AboveBoard

Yes, it is food for thought - your post emphasises that some people think protesting is only for them - only their right - and get wounded when they have to face it... entrenching to the point that they virtue signal that their protest is noble and true, whilst the scandalous counter protesters are pure evil.

What if the NFL players had no point and were just misguided fools dancing to someone else's tune, whilst Pence was actually upset at the disrespect of the flag? I guess that's not possible because it would not fit your side of the argument.

Absolutely not. You are wrong. Don't put your grossly
Misrepresentative interpretation on my words.

Protest IS fine - the 1st Amendment would SUPPORT the RIGHT of a football player to take the knee over abortion. It would bother those on the Left, sure, but that's what protest does - it pushes buttons.

There would be counter protest, and it would be pro-choice and seek to frame the protestors against abortion as pro-birth and anti-child-health and well being. It would try to show abortion being used as a tool to suppress women rather than a painful and tragic medical issue. (I'm in the middle in that one so let's not derail - it is purely an example - both sides ignore valid arguments.)

Regardless of what side you are on in the hypothetical abortion protest, that is the debate, not a deflection to HOW the protest is being carried out being anti-American cause flag and anthem.

If the left did deflect that way, they would be equally wrong.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Maybe. But I played college football. Im pretty familiar with what makes up a team, and how insightful the graduating seniors are, and how much easier life can be for you in college if you are a starter for a team contending for a national championship (although it wasn't NCAA Div I).

Their backgrounds are not what is relevant. At least not to me. Maybe them. In the real world people are judged based on their absolute character, not their relative character. There isn't a handicap for coming from a bad background.

And it may be a stereotype...but its also true on the whole. Of course there are a few who graduate with a degree in astrophysics or something. But the broad majority graduate with business management or a liberal arts degree. If colleges became STEM focused (like they should be) a majority of the athletic programs would fail, or would become vastly less interesting to watch.

It isn't a knock. Not everyone is blessed with brains AND brawn. And there is no shame with being short in either.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Guaranteed this so called "Stunt" is going to do exactly as the POTUS and VP intended. Along with rustle some jimmies of the liberal snowflakes. He plays the left so hard and they just don't get it.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

Yes, so you see the reaction to one protest as invalid.
Many believe it is disrespectful to the country and thus Pence's counter protest is perfectly valid, and your opinion is your own.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join