It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mike Pence’s NFL Walkout Was a Cheap, Transparent Stunt (at a cost to the taxpayer)

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Very true.

I personally know several athletes who are incredible human beings.

Not many people can grow up eating out of garbage cans and sleeping in a bed with 8 other kids in a shanty town and become millionaires literally working their butt off.

The common person usually does what his peers are doing. Some of the kids are rich white and black football camp kids but a great deal are poor black and white kids who want to be great.

I think the narrative of the jerk highschool preppy qb gets weeded out by the NFL. The backrounds there are incredible diverse and since adding the iq test things have really changed. Instead of automatic A's thy now get tutors.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

There is clear evidence for Trump being a narcissist.

There is no evidence that any actual disrespect has been offered toward either a flag or a song by the actions of American Football players.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Well its hardly close the majority of people since the ratings have barely moved.

It's just divisive pandering to a small base for political purposes.

For say Anquan Boldin it's about his cousin being executed by a police officer.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

It would be nice if that translated into something here, as it pertains to this topic. What we have here are grown men making a protest, gaining the attention of the nation, then doing absolutely nothing with that attention. Surely someone among them has some marketing education, and understands that having an audience is having power?

If they are protesting a social issue, they blew it. The narrative was stolen without them uttering a peep. I've heard the nebulous "we are protesting racial inequality", but see very little to expand on that blase term. A chance to point out all sorts of important social issues left laying by the side of the road to rot. Instead, their moment came and went, and was repurposed as a tool to further divide the nation.

Woulda been better if they'd have just shut up. There may be noble intentions, but the end result is they simply dusted off the soapbox for more political hate to fill the air, with no positive message to really be taken away.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
a reply to: AboveBoard

Yes, so you see the reaction to one protest as invalid.
Many believe it is disrespectful to the country and thus Pence's counter protest is perfectly valid, and your opinion is your own.

That is some pure, premium BS deflection you are buying into UK (and laying down, too).
The counter-protest is a way of telling black people to sit down and shut up. Do you like that? Do you enjoy that?
Is it "valid" to do that?

Would the right call an abortion protest facilitated by a football player taking the knee an assault on the FLAG, on AMERICA? You know that answer to that, even though you are deflecting. Of course they wouldn't. It would be a point of pride to kneel with them - you'd have Sean Hannity expressing how "respectful to the flag" it was to kneel in reverence at what that flag stands for - everyone who sees how the game is played, knows this.

I'm saying the right and the left would have equal options to protest by taking a knee during the anthem, and that their protest, unless it was stated as being "anti-American, anti-flag, anti-troops," is equally appropriate under the 1st Amendment, no matter how I personally FEEL about them doing it. (It would still be protected speech if it was anti-American, and then and only then would it be ok to actually address that as the issue through counter protest of anti-Americanism.)

edit on 9-10-2017 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   

The problem is the they are a small number of the protesors.

The ones locking arms or raising fists were well aware of that and now have been lumped into the NFL protest.

If you look you find guys plenty doing stuff, going to congress, working with local police.

Just because the media doesn't cover that part doesn't mean it's not there.

Just look at Malcom Jenkins or Chris Long. There are many like them.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Consider you just dropped $125/plate on a meal. As the server is coming out to serve the meal, you are instead given a few minutes of political commentary. How does this make you feel, as the person who just put up a lot of cash for a nice meal? Is that what you money paid for?

That is what my counter protest is: we are paying for football, not politics for crying out loud. Can we at least get a discount since you are ruining the ambiance that we paid for?

I just fail to see how anyone can find it "ok" that the ticket prices are what they are, and you still get to have politics shoved in your face while paying those prices. Its the same reason people like to boo musicians who bring politics onto the stage...you paid a price to be entertained, not bombarded with politcs.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

The problem is the they are a small number of the protesors.

The ones locking arms or raising fists were well aware of that and now have been lumped into the NFL protest.

If you look you find guys plenty doing stuff, going to congress, working with local police.

Just because the media doesn't cover that part doesn't mean it's not there.

Just look at Malcom Jenkins or Chris Long. There are many like them.

I know there is charity happening. The NFL players are among the most charitable of all pro sports. And I think that despite the bad apples that give a bad name, NFL players are generally good guys with big hearts for their roots. I respect that a lot.

But I've also seen them with a mic in front of them saying stupid stuff when asked about the protest. Like I said: you have my attention...now what are you doing with it? All those people with college degrees...and none of them can use that attention positively? None of them can steal back the narrative?

But its a good thing we agree that 99% of the problem in the MSM.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Why is it ok to have the Ra Ra, faux patriotism part at the start of the game then?

I am pretty sure that stuff has nothing to do with the performance of ones linebackers, quarterbacks and tight ends either.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   

The only reason people are being bombarded with politics is because of what Trump said and things like this happening. Before Trump made a speech about it it was almost an afterthought, now it's headline news every day. Blame the media and this Administration, they're the ones who kicked this whole thing into high gear.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   
IDK about anyone else but I like Anti Flag:

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Let me see if I fully grasp the situation here, a politician, used a hot button issue to make his political point. And because it worked so well, you are outraged? Oh, forgive me, it's the 200K that it cost, my bad. Yea, that money could have been better used. Like a beer summit, or something like that. (which I thought was kind of cool)

But I'll keep looking for your outrage when the left pisses money away for stupid #, I'm certain you will be at the forefront of the bitch brigade.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I'm sure you will be at the front when that happens, but not today! Right?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

But I'll keep looking for your outrage when the left pisses money away for stupid #, I'm certain you will be at the forefront of the bitch brigade.

And a walk in/walk out isn't stupid #? I've got no problem with him doing what he did, except that he thinks we are stupid enough not to get it, but pay for it yourself. I don't see the players asking for money to protest. On the contrary you may LOSE money doing so. See Kaepernick.

link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Consider you just dropped $125/plate on a meal. As the server is coming out to serve the meal, you are instead given a few minutes of political commentary. How does this make you feel, as the person who just put up a lot of cash for a nice meal? Is that what you money paid for?

That is what my counter protest is: we are paying for football, not politics for crying out loud. Can we at least get a discount since you are ruining the ambiance that we paid for?

I just fail to see how anyone can find it "ok" that the ticket prices are what they are, and you still get to have politics shoved in your face while paying those prices. Its the same reason people like to boo musicians who bring politics onto the stage...you paid a price to be entertained, not bombarded with politcs.

Yeah, I get that. I do understand.

I just think the deflection to "they are disrespecting the FLAG!" is totally fake because they don't want to address the actual reason for the protest - and Trump is the one who fanned that flame.

I wouldn't want to deal with the discomfort of partisan politics at the beginning of a football game either, feeling like you had to take a side from the sidelines. I would just want to enjoy the game.

I also understand why people are passionate about trying to get attention put on perceived injustice.

Personally, if I were the NFL, I would just have the players stay in the locker room for the opening and introduce them after the anthem. They lose all the paid recruitment money from the military though if they do that. So, in essence, the military is paying the NFL to have their players stand for the anthem, so they can use them and their fame as promotional tools for the military. That adds a monkey wrench into the works, a bit. I'm not even sure how that would impact the 1st Amendment rights of the players.

In your example, the waiter would be fired for inconveniencing the guest, most likely.

Should NFL players be fired for taking the knee? I'm just curious as to your thoughts on this. Personally, I think the whole thing has gotten out of hand, and that it is being used by Trump to further create divisions, as well as being reacted to by those who don't want to be cowed by HIM - Trump's made it about Trump, and that is yet another element. He chose to make it a deal, and now its an even bigger deal in the context of the ongoing culture war.

If the NFL said as part of their employment that no protest could take place during the anthem, and that was in their contract, I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be any protest during the anthem.

Peace.

link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I'm not sure, did I write this thread? I have an opinion, but it's as useful as my left ass cheek.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I think it was exactly what it appeared to be. A political statement. But answer me this, if he stayed for the whole game, would that have cost any less?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
a reply to: MysticPearl

Cry some more crocodile tears.

You betcha I'd cry crocodile tears. Because I know that money Trump wasted on this stunt could have gone to needy families in this country. What do you care though? Seriously? Your guy's in so head in the sand.

Had nothing to say when Obama and Hillary wasted massive amounts

What massive amounts? Explain to me a time Obama and Hillary pulled such a stunt using tax payer money?

Please, enlighten me.

Here is an example of wasted funds...And this doesn't include the millions spent by the justice dept to see if this was racially motivated...

LINK

Obama to travel to Florida in wake of Trayvon Martin v

link   
a reply to: network dude

I meant when the left blows money. You'll be at the front of the "bitch brigade" then but not in this particular instance. Why is that?
edit on 10/9/2017 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: intrepid

I think it was exactly what it appeared to be. A political statement. But answer me this, if he stayed for the whole game, would that have cost any less?

The question is...if he wasn't going for a political ploy would he have been there at all?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join