It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Puerto Rico is 100% without power after Hurricane Maria — here's why that's a huge problem

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye
So much widespread destabilization.

Will our enemies capitalize on that? I think so.

OR rather will corporate interests 'capitalize' on it.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

I think its rare I agree with you, but on this I do - we'll put and said.

This is beyond politics and into realm of basic civil humanity.

Like said, these folks need all help they can get and right quick before disaster of civil life falling apart and ensuing chaos occurs.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
Bunch of dumb human beings build on an island that gets whacked by mother nature and is upset when it gets knocked out?

Seek life elsewhere.

Born..not built.

Bad attitude dude.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

I always HAVE wondered WHY there isn't any unified world rescue group...(THUNDERBIRDS!)If the tech was applied it WOULD be effective.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

I always HAVE wondered WHY there isn't any unified world rescue group...(THUNDERBIRDS!)If the tech was applied it WOULD be effective.

I think that was meant to be one of the functions of the UN

Problem is, once you have a united group like that, politics will eventually cripple its effectiveness. What is a disaster? well, a earthquake or tornado, sure, but what about war..genocide...global warming...etc.

Then you demand the globe catagorically take sides on things (such as war / NK starvation, etc) and voila..you got a bloated bureaucracy that helps few and becomes a tax sink

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
a reply to: Byrd

Right right so the kind thing to do is rob other people of $ to pay for someone or your mess that you were handed.

Awesome bud.

Well thats called being in society.
You chose to build a life in a civil society. Don't like it, leave..we wont crumble civilization because randodudeoninternet doesn't like to pay taxes.

Too bad, soo sad, pay up or leave.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

You forgot the part where the CIA infiltrates it.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 12:41 AM
link   
its all a test by our gov , a trial run if you will to see how modern society will act when the # hits the fan. That way in 6 months or so when they finally play the North Korea thing out and they "attack " us and we loose all power , they are prepared and know what to expect and how to handle it better.

edit on 22-9-2017 by truthnlies because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

Wow that is a nasty disposition. Im pretty minimalist on government, but your viewpoint is unnecessarily harsh, and your original statement was just plain ignorant.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 02:48 AM
link   
hmm - so PR is :

" 100% without power "

err except for the areas an instalations that are running of generator backups

logic is dead

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 03:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: The Great Day
I hope in the rebuild process they put power lines under ground....

It cracks me up watching foreign television to see the amount of cables that are visible overhead , most of the services should be carried in a compartmentalised pipe /gas / water/telephone/television , like we have in the uk

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

One old amphibians assault ship ,old army gear and every country chips in a million per year minimum and you have INTERNATIONAL RESCUE
weird i was just thinking about the same thing the other week

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: FredT

They have to build everything from the ground up, and as another member said, before they even start erecting new posts and laying down power lines they have to wait until all the debris is removed. They suffered total devastation. They have to build from the ground up power stations and all power and communications infrastructure. Even with the help of the U.S. government it's going to take several months or longer to rebuild the infrastructure.

edit on 22-9-2017 by ElectricUniverse because: add and correct comment.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: The Great Day
I hope in the rebuild process they put power lines under ground....

as much as it sounds like a good idea, underground power lines may not be feasible, or workable. underground wiring is far easier to have problems with due to flooding. and if they have normal weather anything like here in the Philippines (another island area that receives tropical storms and typhoons) that goes far beyond tropical storms and hurricanes. i know here rain tends to fall hard, fast and lots of it at any time in the rainy season. flooding and flash flooding are normal parts of life. where in the northern US and Canada there are snow days, days where school is canceled for winter storms. here we have rain days, when things like school are canceled due to rain and predicted rain that may result in flooding. and there are normally a lot more rain days here than we ever had snow days in North America. kids may even have to go to school on some Saturdays, sometimes even Sundays to make up that lost time. many houses even have a curb (sometimes over a foot high) to step over at the door to keep much of the normal flood waters out. seeing pictures and news footage of people walking through knee deep water after a good rain is common. heck a couple weeks ago i had to cross the street through 3 or 4 inches of the water that was running down the street to get home. again pretty normal. not even a particularly long rain, but it's the amount that falls in a short time. and by the way that two lane street has FOUR 4 foot pipes under it for drainage. even my front yard can get about a 1/4 incare buried wiring would cause even more problems h deep in a rain with the water freely running off out into the street. in such places burying electrical wiring is not just problematic due to becoming flooded, as well as for normal needed maintenance, but would actually pose a huge electrocution hazard as well. so chances than the occasional hurricane knocking down power poles.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   

I am thinking that a refugee crisis is what's planned for the U.S. No one has to agree with me on that, but I wondered why Trump might be 'The Chosen One," back when Trump was still a candidate. What could the globalists want with him?

Of course, I leaned towards him losing, but now that he won, I feel like we are getting the answer.

He's just the powder keg to get us into a thermonuclear war while the country is so destabilized.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

originally posted by: diggindirt
a reply to: musicismagic

How are solar panels going to help? If the hurricane takes the roof off the house---or blows the house away completely---the solar panels are going to be blown away as well aren't they?

My question is why don't the hospitals and emergency centers have generators?

What I am saying, think small in the beginning just to get the power going. See how India and Japan is doing it. both have cyclones and typhoons also

don't forget the Philippines in that. the Philippines has been doing a lot of studying and work to reduce the effect of typhoons (and other disasters). some of the things they are doing is trying to keep people (there is a huge squatter problem) from building right on the worst effected coastal areas, as well as in places that like the sides and over waterways that restricts the water flow making things worse. they have been looking into building designs and materials. they are even working on the stopping of planting certain types of trees in those most at risk areas after the research showed much of the building damage and loss of life were from trees not native to the coastal areas coming down. where trees like palm trees can withstand high force winds and water much better because they have the ability to easily bend and sway without breaking. in fact the reason Yolanda was so bad a few years back, was because it hit an area that it is not normal for a typhoon to hit. so they were not as prepared as other areas.

the Philippines does try to look ahead for disasters. they even have transport containers of things like high-rise building collapse search and rescue kits prepositioned waiting for something like a major earthquake. they work hard to evacuate people to safer locations well in advance of a typhoons likeliest path. or if there is a possibility they think a volcano might erupt. seriously i think it was last year they relocated thousands of people for a couple or so months because they though a volcano could possibly erupt. of course they are not perfect but they are doing well in such things. as such the US would be wise to learn from them and also work towards minimising the effects of natural disasters. not just for places like Puerto Rico, but in all the US. every area on earth has it's most likely natural disasters. if it's not typhoons/hurricanes, or flooding, it's earthquakes and volcanoes, or forest/wildfires, tornados and ice storms. no where is safe. yet you can PREPARE for what is most likely to occur. and by preparation greatly reduce the damage and loss of life. by the way, isn't that FEMA's job? not to react to disasters, but to prepare for the disasters ahead of time, so they are all ready to go help when the disasters occur? and through preparation reduce the damage and loss of life? one question i have looking at pictures of Puerto Rico (and most places after a hurricane), is all the boats on shore and or in big pileups. not just small boats that really can't travel far on their own, but big yachts. how much damage did they cause? why were they not moved to safer locations? like say other islands or the mainland where the storm was not expected to hit as hard. it's not like there was no warning of the storm coming. that is one small thing that they could have done and probably saved millions of dollars damage just for the boats alone, forget about the possible damage they caused. so why were they not taken away out of danger?

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

No thanks. Not interested in bickering about opinions. I have mine and I am sure you have yours. And I am definitely not interested in changing yours. The only thing I will say is that NK is an enemy of the world.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   
When I saw this thread, I had to double check myself....unbelievable.

Puerto Rico has been in decline over the years because of crooked politicians among other internal problems, I believe many fear any monetary aide will be squandeted.

The US sent a carrier to Key West after Irma, they can do the same and more for Puerto Rico(and the US Virgin Islands).

Perhaps after this catastrophy, the people of Puerto Rico will want to become a state. Their government has failed them.
edit on 22-9-2017 by jrod because: G

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

You really think letting them come here is going to be handled well with this admin and the current attitude of so many Americans right now???

there is no "letting" about it, they are US citizens and have the freedom to move about anywhere they wish???

Because if that happens I'm sure it will not be pretty and that's only if that happens.

that's my concern.. the question for me would be...
would the administration that is willing to spend billions to build a wall to keep the mexicans out, be willing to spend just as much to help one of their territories rebuild their island so that those spanish speaking people will not be so inclined to come to the mainland???
barring the idea of course that trump and his rich developers aren't eyeing the island with the idea of making it a super luxurious resort for the rich and famous... it seems like that is the two choices we have, help rebuild their island, or accept them with open arms onto the mainland....
I imagine it's a tough choice for the trump administration to make, unless of course, him and his rich friends, some of whom have lost their mansions on some of the islands recently thanks to irma, decide that it would be a nice place to rebuild.. then, maybe the idea of dispossessing the people from their lands might tilt the balance in the decision somewhat...

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

Ok, PR new housing now comes equipped with air conditioning, the Hotels have generators and they are able to supply power to their buildings.

Hospitals also have generators The Island only have a few central hospitals.

Now my brother's house have a generator and have air conditioning.

My parents house also have a generator but they don't have central air conditioner just window units, they since the last time I was able to communicate were doing ok.

I was able to keep in touch with my family in Rio Grande and my brother in Fajardo until yesterday, today I have not been lucky.

My brother have government phone connected to satellite, and was able to talk to him while the hurricane was going over their area and after.

Sadly air conditioning in PR is not like in the US is more of a luxury that only a few can afford.

Been an Island it does get the nice cool winds from the sea but it does get hot.

Is a reason why PR is a tropical Island and have a rain forest, the heat and rain is what keeps the Island vegetation so beautiful.

I worry more about the lack of water and food.

Water is plenty in natural state, is plenty of water falls and manatiales, (streams) all over the hills and is pure water.

But food is another thing.

Also in our modern days of mobile phones and internet the new generations will have a hard time surviving without them, old people like my parents are used to no having any.

I worry for my Island and the fact that financial problems is an issue.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join