It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Puerto Rico is 100% without power after Hurricane Maria — here's why that's a huge problem

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

To add to that, let's not forget that hurricane season is far from over. The Atlantic hurricane season is June 1st to November 30th... There's no reason to assume they won't get hit again. Think of how much worse the damage, mostly debris clearing, would be on the next one. Even if it's not as strong, everything is already knocked over or in shambles.
It can get a lot worse.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: MDpvc

We have a new problem in PR now, the looting has started, no power and even with curfew is been looting.

I finally had my brother calling.

My family is fine, my sister is been working since the Hurricane at the Carolina central hospital and has not been able to leave the place she is considered essential personal.

And the Centro medico where she works have power so they are able to treat people and take care of emergencies.

edit on 22-9-2017 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

Where would you suggest they go, pray?

Where in this world does one go to escape mother nature?? I'll wait.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

I'm glad to hear your family is OK, or sort of OK. You were the first person here I thought of...

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Thank seagull, yes I am one of the lucky ones that can communicate thanks to my brothers been able to have a government phone and uses satellite.

Now is tricky, he can call me but I can not call back.

The looting is going to be a big problem due to no electricity at night.

My mother said that they are using the generator at night to make sure that is light to see the house perimeter.

Now lack of gas is another problem, my brother had to bring gas for my parents generator that was running low, my brother was able to find some.

The more the Island is in the dark at night the more opportunities for crimes the thieves will get.

The curfew maybe extended because of that.

The main highway from Fajardo to Rio Grande is cleared from debris but the power lines are still all over the road because the cleaning crews will not touch them.

I hope the Federal government will send assistance to help with the restauration of power and communications.

The airport was to be open today for supplies and this weekend for only for people in need to get out of the Island.

Is towns that no even the government can get in touch with the municipalities.

That's how bad communication is right now.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

I keep thinking about a heavy lift blimp.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
a reply to: stonerwilliam

I keep thinking about a heavy lift blimp.

This would be an idea deployment for that LockMart LMH-1 Hybrid. What better way to drum up sales of that sucker. Huge amount of lift and minimal ground requirements, low cost/mile for bulk airlift etc
edit on 9/22/17 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

The main highway from Fajardo to Rio Grande is cleared from debris but the power lines are still all over the road because the cleaning crews will not touch them.

Yikes. We stayed in Rio Grand earlier this summer. Thats a pretty long stretch of road to have down and there are alot of small communities that depend on it. We will keep our fingers crossed for you and yours and all of the people of PR.

To answer other questions:

yes Hospitals have generators for emergencies. But how long will those stay on if you cannot get gas or diesel to power them?

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

EXACTLY as well as FIRE FIGHTING control!

FRED...Fred...Fred..we are making TOTAL sense ,man.
They'll NEVER do it..
edit on 22-9-2017 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

EXACTLY as well as FIRE FIGHTING control!

FRED...Fred...Fred..we are making TOTAL sense ,man.
They'll NEVER do it..

LOL no kidding.........

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Im stuck over in europe but I hope their plight is getting more play time in the US, and the real charities get to mobilizing to help.

Things will probably get alot worse if a lot of help does not get in there soonish.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   

When I go visit home we stay at Rio Mar, nice villas and affordable.

Rio Grande have many nice places to stay.

The big hospitals are run by private entities they are pretty much self sufficient. Local clinics no so much.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Electric poles by the shipload don't magically appear they try to fill orders and have a few spares but thousands will make a lot of overtime for a lot of people.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: mikell
I am still without phone service here in Florida from Irma, because the poles and cards are on back order in Houston from Harvey. May be a month or more according to the phone company before service will be restored.

This is Stateside. I can only imagine the delays that will befall PR and the other islands.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

When I go visit home we stay at Rio Mar, nice villas and affordable.

Rio Grande have many nice places to stay.

The big hospitals are run by private entities they are pretty much self sufficient. Local clinics no so much.

We stayed at the Wyndham. Its a great spot, close to the rain forest tons of local restaruants etc.

I agree the clinics where ALOT of people get primary care are going to be the hardest hit

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! when you enter the hotel the villas to your left that is where we love to stay when we got to visit, they have the view of the golf course.

Is soo beautiful, once side the rain forest on the other side the sea.

You can not beat that, to believe that I grew up in that area and remember when that hotel and the villas were been built, before the hotel it was nothing but a wild area and nobody would go to the beach because it was dirty, look at the place now, incredible is interesting when you grew up with all that beauty and think nothing of it, until you leave the Island go back to visit I feel overwhelmed.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Our people in Texas, Florida and now Puerto Rico need billions of dollars in aid NOW!

That’s going to cost money. Forget tax cuts for the rich

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

I am glad your family is ok Marg. Unfortunately most people in Puerto Rico don't have and can't afford a generator. Not to mention that a lot of people who could afford one never bought one because they never thought something like this could happen.

My prayers go with your family, the situation in PR is only going to get worse before it gets better.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   
If Puerto Rico were a state, no one in the US would be content to be letting them go through this. 6 months to a year without electricity? How exactly is their economy supposed to function?

Now on top of everything else, there's an emergency evacuation going on as a dam is about to burst

www.bbc.com...

Puerto Rico needs help. Now. They're American, we should be doing much, much more to help them.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: amazing
Still not sure why we don't let it become a state. It basically is a state, but territory status give the federal government all of the benefits and them none of the benefits.

Right! The island of Hawaii became a state. Why not the island of Puerto Rico?

They're nof a state because the people vote against it

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join