It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Puerto Rico is 100% without power after Hurricane Maria — here's why that's a huge problem

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: amazing
Still not sure why we don't let it become a state. It basically is a state, but territory status give the federal government all of the benefits and them none of the benefits.

Right! The island of Hawaii became a state. Why not the island of Puerto Rico?

One simple reason, politicians

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

How are solar panels going to help? If the hurricane takes the roof off the house---or blows the house away completely---the solar panels are going to be blown away as well aren't they?

My question is why don't the hospitals and emergency centers have generators?

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

all I am saying is that I remember a lot of racist comments while I was growing up about the puerto ricans...
I can see why they would have rather lived on their island than have to put up with that kind of garbage..
besides, it's not like they can just hop in their car and drive to the mainland is it!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I hope in the rebuild process they put power lines under ground....

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
Bunch of dumb human beings build on an island that gets whacked by mother nature and is upset when it gets knocked out?

Seek life elsewhere.

Most probably will seek life elsewhere. Like here in the US. It's either that or we all just lock up the borders and sit by while they perish.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

maybe some really strong windmills, with plenty of batteries for them to charge up...
can you imagine how much energy you could harness from a hurricane like maria???

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Please stick to the topic!

The topic is PR being without power for 6 months to a year.....here's the OP
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Being on topic also does not mean bickering or being uncivil to each other......
Go After the Ball, Not the Player!
Community Announcement re: Decorum

You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

link   
We just got back from Puerto Rico (summer vacay). The US government has a moral/legal/ethical obligation to help them out. PERIOD.

We spent alot of time there and once you get out of the tourist areas there is alot of poverty. Also because of their financial issues, the infrastructure was lets just say 'rough". I doubt the whole island (aka San Juan) will be dark for six months. That being said the rural areas could be longer

Also they really should be a state
edit on 9/21/17 by FredT because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
a reply to: musicismagic

How are solar panels going to help? If the hurricane takes the roof off the house---or blows the house away completely---the solar panels are going to be blown away as well aren't they?

My question is why don't the hospitals and emergency centers have generators?

What I am saying, think small in the beginning just to get the power going. See how India and Japan is doing it. both have cyclones and typhoons also

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

Again, that should be taken with a grain of salt. If the feds have not completed a study of what is wrong and what is required to fix it, then no accurate estimation can be made. Certainly, that broadcast is not going to have FEMA's backing. Put that down as a scare tactic to get Uncle to give them a piece of the rebuilding pie, if not the first piece.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

na, we'll let them in and then round them up and try to deport them to mexico...

puerto rico is part of the country, how much money are we sending to isreal?? maybe we can divert some of that along with a few othercountries' aid packages and take care of our own for a change.
still, it's gonna take a long time to get the island back into shape... like I said you ain't gonna be driving the big utility trucks in from florida to help repair the electrical system. everything is either gonna have to be shipped in by boat or flown in..

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

Welcome to the future, wow. Pray that the country is not lost to itself.

Its actually done as a country I think. What is PR will be something else once the lights come back on.

Puerto Rico will not be gone, just different. That is a hard reset to their government if true. Months?!

edit on 9 21 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

You really think letting them come here is going to be handled well with this admin and the current attitude of so many Americans right now???

Because if that happens I'm sure it will not be pretty and that's only if that happens. Which I don't think it will.

I'm thinking for anyone on that island right now, the future is looking pretty bad.

Just look at some of the opinions of people here. Many people simply don't give a damn about anyone but themselves anymore. Although I don't agree with them because I still have some bit of compassion for other people still, I do understand why they feel that way though.

We're watching the result of generations worth of corruption and poor planning. Short on resources and flexibility and an ever increasing population and all the demands which are required to keep such a massive civilization working. Look around and what isn't being held together by hope and bubblegum at this point???

Things are going to continue collapsing, people are going to continue to close their doors to others and it's not going to be pretty to watch. But that's what happens when you ignore all the warnings year after year. Balance gets restored one way or the other and depending upon where you are when it comes swinging back the other way you might leveled when it does.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

Where is safe? What area doesn't have some sort of natural disasters? What will you say when it's your turn?

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: collietta

Bunch of dumb human beings build on an island that gets whacked by mother nature and is upset when it gets knocked out?

Seek life elsewhere.

Nowhere is safe. When choosing a place to live, pick your disaster.

I chose a place that's at risk of earthquakes, volcanoes, forest fires, floods, and mudslides. The trade-off is a beautiful location to raise my kids. I'm okay with them getting stuck here if they become too poor to move.

Other people would prefer to live and raise their families in the midwest with tornadoes, heat waves, floods, blizzards and extensive flat land.

Beat me to it. No matter where you live, there is risk of some disaster.

And people have been living on flood plains since the dawn of time, because thats the best farmland. Disasters happen.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye
a reply to: Byrd

People are truly going nuts. It's every man for himself, now. I guess this is how America has been made great, again. I'd like to go back to not being so great if that's the case.

You and me both.

The "Every man for himself" actually never worked well - humans are social animals and rely on "pack bonds" (as I heard it called) to gain intangibles. If we all help each other, we can get out of this mess faster than if we are just in it for ourselves. That's true as a nation and as a town and as a family and as an individual.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   

a reply to: collietta

The town I grew up in was nearly destroyed by a Tornado the day after Christmas.

I have seen devastation and heart break first hand. That does not mean it's someone else that needs to pay for your problems. That's not right either.

I pay my taxes in hopes it pays for other people's problems. That's just one of the few good parts of civilization

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Things in PR could easily go very sideways fast if help in a maximum effort is not done quickly.

Potable water will be biggest need, individual, family sized purification be best.

Non refrigerated food will be next immediate need.

Fuel and propane for cooking or boiling water will become hard come by and needs distribution.

Intermediate need might be .5 kw solar/battery/inverter systems to charge comms, run refrig/cooler combos and provide minimal lighting and fans while grid is repaired - especially rural areas.

Not PR's first nor last hurricane - wonder that longterm an opportunity is taken to decentralize the grid so areas receiving less damage might stay up and running - decentralized IMO means community sized independent but mutually supportive to grid in ring based system.

The building of few "big" plants and long distribution makes for vulnerability in hurricane prone areas.

These folks need and deserve all the help that can be mustered from everywhere else.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join