It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Puerto Rico is 100% without power after Hurricane Maria — here's why that's a huge problem

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

Does not mean go build on a remote island and live there then claim catastrophe when it all goes to s***

But it is a catastrophe and not a claim of catastrophe.

I do not believe in the Fed Gov helping Houston out either or Flood Insurance. Your property or its getting destroyed is not anyone's problem but yours. Don't Like it? Don't live there

That is quiet an outlook to have concerning the devastation these people have and are still enduring. I hope if you ever need help with something you are not forced to deal with your own ideology.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
Bunch of dumb human beings build on an island that gets whacked by mother nature and is upset when it gets knocked out?

Seek life elsewhere.

Nowhere is safe. When choosing a place to live, pick your disaster.

I chose a place that's at risk of earthquakes, volcanoes, forest fires, floods, and mudslides. The trade-off is a beautiful location to raise my kids. I'm okay with them getting stuck here if they become too poor to move.

Other people would prefer to live and raise their families in the midwest with tornadoes, heat waves, floods, blizzards and extensive flat land.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

Today I heard in the Spanish channel Univision that authorities expect all of Puerto Rico to be without electricity/power for 6 months to a year.

I find that very hard to believe.

That's what all the sources I've heard have been saying.

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   

a reply to: 3daysgone

Sure,

Does not mean go build on a remote island and live there then claim catastrophe when it all goes to s***.

Do you have any idea where Puerto Rico is? Or its history?

I do not believe in the Fed Gov helping Houston out either or Flood Insurance. Your property or its getting destroyed is not anyone's problem but yours. Don't Like it? Don't live there.

Ah, the milk of human kindness overfloweth. I have heard this same sentiment expressed many times by people who are also Christian... which confuses me. I don't think Jesus would approve of the attitude.

FYI, There is no place on this planet that is immune to harsh weather conditions, from downdrafts to tornadoes to lightning or heavy snow or temporary flooding or even associated effects like wildfire (or unrelated events like earthquakes.) You can't move into space (and that's a harsher environment) and we haven't found an inhabitable geostable planet that we can reach.

So where's your magical place located where there's no possible disasters? I'm sure folks would love to know so they can move there.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Right right so the kind thing to do is rob other people of $ to pay for someone or your mess that you were handed.

Awesome bud.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   

POST REMOVED BY STAFF

Lol. Everyone is going to die. I just think advocating to help the one's that are still alive is of the utmost importance. But we each have our own view of things.
edit on Thu Sep 21 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   
So much widespread destabilization.

Will our enemies capitalize on that? I think so.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: collietta

The town I grew up in was nearly destroyed by a Tornado the day after Christmas.

I have seen devastation and heart break first hand. That does not mean it's someone else that needs to pay for your problems. That's not right either.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

PR was already bankrupt with $74 billion in bond debt, $49 billion of unfunded pension obligations and who knows what else (this was like 5 months ago....)

this is really not good.

I truly feel for the people in Puerto Rico and hope support is swift and sufficient to help those people get through this mess in one piece...

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

Good question.

Another question. Who is our enemies?

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

People are truly going nuts. It's every man for himself, now. I guess this is how America has been made great, again. I'd like to go back to not being so great if that's the case.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3daysgone

Good question.

NK, for sure.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

The town I grew up in was nearly destroyed by a Tornado the day after Christmas.

I have seen devastation and heart break first hand. That does not mean it's someone else that needs to pay for your problems. That's not right either.

Money isn't everything. You can always get more money. But there's only one of you, me and everyone else.
If you need any help, just ask, and I'll be there.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

The lights are out in Puerto Rico.

The island is 100% without electricity in the wake of Hurricane Maria, which has wreaked havoc on much of the region. The Category 4 storm touched down on Puerto Rico around 6:15 a.m. on Wednesday after slamming the Virgin Islands on Tuesday evening.
Power is a key component of any area's infrastructure — it supplies cool air during a heat wave, keeps life-preserving hospital equipment running, and allows people to charge phones that they need to communicate. A region's power infrastructure can tell you a lot about its capacity to withstand a devastating event like a hurricane, according to Vivek Shandas, an urban-planning professor at Portland State University.

Puerto Rico is 100% without power after Hurricane Maria — here's why that's a huge problem

This information is from yesterday Spetember 20th. Today I heard in the Spanish channel Univision that authorities expect all of Puerto Rico to be without electricity/power for 6 months to a year.

Things are pretty bleak for Puerto Rico. The island has been experiencing a bad economy, and now this. We can expect Puerto Rico to go on default and the government would have to "bail them out".

Apart from no power, which means hospital and emergency services would be affected, there is also the possibility of heatwaves affecting the island and people not being able to cool off with the A/C. There could be casualties from heat exhaustion.

This also means no running water either for drinking, or taking a bath or any necessities so this will cause a lot of health problems as well.

Imagine 6 months to a year without any power and most of the island having no communication at all.

Tell the bosses there to go to India, solar panels is a must now, but hey, intelligent minds solve the problems too quickly, not enough time for the corrupt leaders to get the bribes coming in from other power sources. Really people if rural India and even here in rural Japan, you see solar panels for street lights, and well, the list goes on and on. Wake up people there, give Bill Gates a call, he doesn't need to be bribed and I can bet he'll get the job done fast and done WITHOUT corruption too.
edit on 0900000036282017-09-21T21:28:36-05:00283609pm9 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Good question.

NK, for sure.

Well then. Would it be a stretch to also include the people who support NK?

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

ummm, ya....
what I am about to say I hope doesn't hurt anyone's feelings...
they didn't chose to build their homes on the island, they are natives of the island. they are part of the US, but I have to say...
I am an older northerner, and well, back in the day the puerto ricans were treated like the mexicans of the north... they weren't treated too well. maybe it has changed some, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's still pretty much the same. they weren't treated too well.
so, before you decide you want to just write off the island and make them relocate to a safer place....
are you prepared to treat them as the american citizens they are? because, the "safer place" will be the mainland...
and all I know is that they were treated worse than second class citizens, if they were even considered citizens back then.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   

The needs of other people wanting to help is never a problem. The only problem is the amount of people that want to help.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

What are you talking about. I treat everyone the same and that is don't start anything wont be anything. I honestly have no conception of where anyone is from nor do I care anymore. I run a business and could care less about your personal story or how bad you had it. Someone has had it way worse.

Live on an island, accept what that means. Don't ask for a bail out. Of which btw they already were and you know why? No personal resposibility or good leadership from there. Now it REALLY is everyone that has to pay for this mess whether we like it or not and risk, as is evident here, being labeled inhumane if you don't want to drop everything and weep for every natural disaster that comes this way.

No thanks I'm going to enjoy life and live where Hurricanes do not happen
If I were from Houston I would have been out riding a Jetski when it flooded having the time of my life and fishing where possible.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Good question.

NK, for sure.

Define destabilization of the US due to recent natural disasters.
And explain NK as an "enemy" . Other that the Korean War days. Is the NK an enemy or a concern not only for the US but the US , and China , Japan and others

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join