It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Puerto Rico is 100% without power after Hurricane Maria — here's why that's a huge problem

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

worldview.stratfor.com...

If I'm reading this map right, the HW Bush carrier group (CVN 77) could be redeployed without seriously harming the balance of power around Iran. Especially since the US has no choice but to back down on leaving the Iran deal.

Basically, we have 6 carrier groups deployed right now. We're using 3 to make a big show about NK, but could downgrade that to two. We have two permanently around Iran/Middle East. That leaves between 1 and 2 that can be sent to help hurricane victims. Puerto Rico needs one badly, and that leaves a second to either be our reserve in case we need a show of force somewhere, or to help Florida/Texas, which due to not being islands are in less need of help.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

And........How long to sail from the Pacific or Indian Ocean thence around South America to finally arrive off Puerto Rico?

To me it's an asinine proposition to do so - but sure seems serve some parochial interests otherwise.

And supposing Trump ordered that, how many gensets, gallons fuel, water purification systems do you suppose could be delivered by merchant vessels?

Ya'll live in some other reality than rest of us I do believe.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phoenix

And........How long to sail from the Pacific or Indian Ocean thence around South America to finally arrive off Puerto Rico?

To me it's an asinine proposition to do so - but sure seems serve some parochial interests otherwise.

And supposing Trump ordered that, how many gensets, gallons fuel, water purification systems do you suppose could be delivered by merchant vessels?

Ya'll live in some other reality than rest of us I do believe.

A carrier can make that trip in under 48 hours. The rest of the carrier group can make it in just a day longer.

The biggest things a carrier group can do, are the ability to deliver fuel and water, and thanks to helicopter fleets they don't require a port to do so. Which is a big issue in Puerto Rico as they have inland terrain that's difficult to reach right now. After goods comes manpower which can help to physically fix the infrastructure.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

So let's put some math to that proposition of yours.

Checked mileage not even counting going around South America - used the miracle shortcut method (does not exist) between NK and Puerto Rico,

Average speed 173 MPH !!!

I just knew those carriers were faster than 30kts published, never realized just how much faster.

Next thing it'll be all Trumps fault thousands perished in wake of fast carrier group responding to PR disaster lol.

edit on 25-9-2017 by Phoenix because: Sp

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   

I think their top speed is closer to 45knots(impressive for a ship that size) and probably can not go much faster because of the nature of displacement hulls(going too fast will literally push the bow under water) and their inability to get on a plane.

I was once told they can even hook up the nuclear reactors to the power grid. (This was told to me in Navy Boot camp by an RDC so I take it with a grain of salt).

What is the Lincoln doing? She was in Key West for relief, they could use her more in Puerto Rico.

edit on 25-9-2017 by jrod because: Cut

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Be right neighborly if instead of political bickering and outlandish proposals that'll never happen, things just physically impossible, that members would suggest or come up with things doable instead.

Mine is why can't .5 kw solar/battery/inverter combos be rapidly produced to help families cope while electrical grid is replaced (yup replaced as current beyond repair) these can power small cooler type refrigerators, LED lights and charge cell phones.

Where's NGO's on that?

As a prepper water purification methods are available in many inexpensive forms - can these be rapidly made available to people in PR? Type can be used at source rather than travel to some designated distribution point like carrier water would require.

Is there canned meat manufacturer that's taking cash donations for large shipments to PR?

How about something simple as hand wash spinner for clothes.

Super Carriers off the coast make for good PR (pardon pun) but practice everyday items make life bit more bearable while infrastructure is fixed.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

I think Lincoln was tasked helping Dominica and outer islands that were hit just as bad if not worse.

Could be wrong but entire basin has dire circumstances going on right now.

I just have issue with ignorant attempting political hay making from such a disaster.

Take real exception to it.
edit on 25-9-2017 by Phoenix because: Add comment

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   
As soon as we get all the parts from China and everywhere else the US can begin to help.
Money and good will won't keep the lights working or food from spoiling.
Another trickle down effect of corporate greed and outsourcing is that it will take far longer to rebuild PR than it would have say 50 years ago when American manufacturing was still robust.

edit on 25-9-2017 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

No disagreeing with that sentiment - natural disasters seem to highlight shortcomings of outsourcing almost everything.

Needs much brought back onshore even if it means gotta pay more for your widgit at least it'd keep more money volume flowing here instead of there.

Hopefully a lot of fallacies are shown up and people decide what's best in longrun.

Right now folks in PR need help wherever from.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Trumps latest tweets, no aid for PR beyond the very basics due to their debt.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   

And there's the reason for him bringing up the football thing. His fumbling of this situation is at least on par with Bush and Katrina but he's going to distract everyone from the fact by triggering faux outrage.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
Trumps latest tweets, no aid for PR beyond the very basics due to their debt.

Liar.

That's not what he said. Here are the tweets, in their entirety:

Texas & Florida are doing great but Puerto Rico, which was already suffering from broken infrastructure & massive debt, is in deep trouble..

...It's old electrical grid, which was in terrible shape, was devastated. Much of the Island was destroyed, with billions of dollars....

...owed to Wall Street and the banks which, sadly, must be dealt with. Food, water and medical are top priorities - and doing well.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

So what does their debt have to do with rebuilding? I read that entirely as him saying their debt is why he's not doing anything.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

So what does their debt have to do with rebuilding? I read that entirely as him saying their debt is why he's not doing anything.

You also think aircraft carriers can go 173mph, I'm tad skeptical about that and any other claims - you think carrier can go 173 nothing stop you from claiming Trump says PR can sink either.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Sorry, I overestimated the speed a bit. Regardless, we could have had one at PR by now... Trump is just choosing to not help them. We just had an American President say he's not going to help them because they're in too much debt. And you're defending it.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Source

Our personnel, aircraft and cutter fleet have mobilized from throughout the Atlantic Area, bringing with them port security presence, humanitarian aid to augment our Federal Emergency Management Agency and Puerto Rico Emergency Management Agency partners, as well as command and control capabilities while our shore based units in Puerto Rico continues to reconstitute their infrastructure,” said Rear Adm. Peter Brown, commander of Coast Guard’s District Seven. “Our newest National Security Cutter James along with our fast response cutter fleet, medium endurance cutters and seagoing buoy tenders mobilized quickly following Hurricane Maria to fulfill these missions and will continue to do so.”

13 Coast Guard Cutters and 10 aircraft along with landing ship USS Kearsarge and it's hover craft.

Plus FEMA, Plus Army Corp Engineers.

Trump to visit Tuesday

Now what was that you were trying to say.......

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   

A failure of a response. This storm didn't catch anyone off guard. There was a rather long warning, where we knew it's strength, when it would hit, and what it would do.

The federal response is still nothing other than FEMA. And Trump thanking PR's governor for saying Trumps a great guy.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
As soon as we get all the parts from China and everywhere else the US can begin to help.
Money and good will won't keep the lights working or food from spoiling.
Another trickle down effect of corporate greed and outsourcing is that it will take far longer to rebuild PR than it would have say 50 years ago when American manufacturing was still robust.

So if we really wanted to MAGA, Congress would get off its butt and mobilize the country by allowing manufacturing to kick start by fast-tracking it and easing some of the red tape to let it take off.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   

How much federal response do you expect us to have? We're dealing with two other major disasters at the moment in Harvey and Irma. It's not like that doesn't take up a ton of manpower.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

How much federal response do you expect us to have? We're dealing with two other major disasters at the moment in Harvey and Irma. It's not like that doesn't take up a ton of manpower.

We have plenty of manpower.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join