It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baddogma's Other Meta Cafe- Polite Discussions About Scientific Mysticism and General Weirdness

page: 230
<< 227  228  229    231  232  233 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2020 @ 02:06 AM
link   
a reply to: KilgoreTrout

With "feeling good"
muse did a pretty good job.
Its not like the original.
And I do love that muse version.
but its like 75% of the original in certain ways.

I dont know. covers are really hard for me to like. play me any john lennon or beatles cover and I wont like it. Well' Im sure there are a few that are ok.

I think this "cover" is one of my favorites.

All things must pass. of course.

And Im Reverbsy... so those 2 songs together are my message in 2020.

I look at you all, see the love there that's sleeping
While my guitar gently weeps
I look at the floor and I see it needs sweeping
Still my guitar gently weeps
I don't know why nobody told you
How to unfold your love
I don't know how someone controlled you
They bought and sold you
I look at the world and I notice it's turning
While my guitar gently weeps
With every mistake we must surely be learning
Still my guitar gently weeps
I don't know how you were diverted
You were perverted too
I don't know how you were inverted
No one alerted you
I look at you all, see the love there that's sleeping

Sunrise doesn't last all morning
A cloudburst doesn't last all day
Seems my love is up
And has left you with no warning
But it's not always going
To be this grey
All things must pass
All things must pass away
Sunset doesn't last all evening
A mind can blow those clouds away
After all this my love is up
And must be leaving
But it's not always going
To be this grey
All things must pass
All things must pass away
All things must pass
None of life's strings can last

edit on 22-9-2020 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2020 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

Check this out...

Prince claimed that he didn’t listen to the Beatles. Uh... erm, some of his stuff sounds like the Beatles!!!

Anyway, fast forward and Clapton asks Prince to sit in on his contribution to the Beatles mythos. He misses practice and sound check. Then he shows up as they hit the stage... he claims that he never practiced or tried to play the guitar solo at all!!

I think BS as all musicians have some Beatles in them!!

It is really good though!!

posted on Sep, 22 2020 @ 11:01 PM
link   

We have had tears and laughter over the past two weekends. I think we are cool!!

When the family is shattered, and not for the first time, it is hard to go back 30 years and talk about your feelings. We just did (I must have looked a sight, 250 pound, 6 foot guy, crying at his table into his phone and beer), but that is what we needed... the past is OK in this drama. We can’t change it a an only deal with how we have been constructed to deal with such BS.

My half-sister is a bit younger and needed that reassurance.

I think that we are in a better space!!

PS - This is ancient history that has F# us both up. This conversation had to happen! I feel better!! A bit more happier! Go figure!

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOT

PS - I did a man hug and one of the only person around was Quantum12. (Thanks buddy! I needed that support!! *sniff*
).

All is better now!

Thanks for letting me vent!!

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 03:46 AM
link   

I'm largely indifferent to the Beatles, Lennon and/or McCartney. They have a couple of songs I really love but I'm not a huge fan of their over all sound. Or for that matter, either of their voices. Great lyricists and tune-smiths though, so I tend to prefer covers of their material (exception to the rule being I do like George Harrison, I like his voice much better than the two primaries).

But case in point with Lennon...great song...

...made awesome by Roxy Music and Ferry's dulcet tones...

Bellamy and Muse taking on Feelin' Good took balls. Nina Simone was an artist with a capital 'A'. You can't just 'cover' a Nina Simone song, it's a work of art and that means you have to bring something new, say something new with it. I would say that they accomplished that.

My favourite album is Ella Fitzgerald sings the Cole Porter songbook. I can listen to Ella sing anything, I can listen to anyone sing Cole Porter and happily sing along. In my own space I prefer to sing along with Ella because the perfection of her instrument is so sublime I forgive the inadequacy of my own.

This is pure heaven.

I'm not a terribly musical person, I love the voice though. Louis and Ella bring something to the song, Fred and Ginger something else.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Prince...another Artist. The rest of those guys - musicians - great musicians, legends in their field some of them, they do what they do very well. Prince is not one of their peers, or rather they are not his - he kind of owns it don't he?

It's his guitar that does the weeping.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 04:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
We can’t change it a an only deal with how we have been constructed to deal with such BS.

My half-sister is a bit younger and needed that reassurance.

I think that we are in a better space!!

PS - This is ancient history that has F# us both up. This conversation had to happen! I feel better!! A bit more happier! Go figure!

Lighter?

Families eh? As you say (quoted in bold), it's all any of us can do. Crying is good for you, I swear by it (in moderation, it can be exhausting otherwise, not that that can sometimes be helped) but remember things that you can laugh about together as well. Share that 'happier' as well as your sadness. Shared laughter chases away all kind of shadows and boogey men.

Love and hugs to you both.

posted on Sep, 25 2020 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Ha. My 2020 song:

Come on down to where them tracks cross high street
You can watch the whole world go insane
See the lighters hit the rocks in the bushes
Like the stars are coming down like rain
Here she comes just a skin and bones skeleton
Shes food for the crack coc aine
She got a baby living right outside the city
Man, she don't even remember his name
Well his name is Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Jesse James

All hail, all hail, to the greatest sale
Everything insides got to be sold
All hail, all hail, its to work hard in jail
Man they're closing them doors on the world

Laugh if you want to, really is kinda funny
'Cause the world is a car and you're the crash test dummy
Hurts stampeding now, fences gone
Television is always on - and it says
Save the children, but drop the bomb
Replace the word right now, with the word wrong
Hey there's a big sale on tuesday, get it 'fore its gone
Get a picture with the four horsemen for a nominal sum
Now that they got everything they'd like to sell you some!
Take this pill now and put it on your tongue
Keeps you active, just like everyone
Keeps you from feeling good, bad, ugly, crazy, dumb
It ain't a drug god-dammit! I give it to my only son!
Well, noone's gonna get arrested, noone's having any fun
Doctor's orders: you feel your heart beating? go ahead and take you one!
And now you're duller than a singing saw
Playing hookup to the numb
Its a thorazine work party with free fluoride bubble gum
Man you wander like a zombie out into the midday sun

All hail, all hail, to the greatest sale
Everything insides got to be sold
All hail, all hail, its to work hard in jail
Man they're closing them doors
Yeah they're closing
Yeah they're closing them doors on the world

posted on Sep, 25 2020 @ 03:19 PM
link   

I won't lie that's a bit disappointing. And better than being a woman of strong convictions I guess.
50/50

posted on Sep, 25 2020 @ 03:58 PM
link   
And the Eric Clapton weeping cover is 1000 times better.

edit on 25-9-2020 by Peeple because: lol oopsy

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
I won't lie that's a bit disappointing.

So, clearly I must be clairvoyant

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Thank you!!

Really, I was ramping up a spiral that was not good (I know where it ends. Badly).

Seriously. Just one outside voice helped!

Even electronic luv helps!!

Thanks to everyone on this thread for the support of the good stuff and the bad.

Really. Seriously. I needed all of it and very much appreciate the online love!!

Quantum12, thank you for taking my call!! I needed that so much... just another human voice to tell me what I already know!!

@ATS, life is messed up’ and we only survive together.

I am more centered and the strange vibes are gone. I am OK.

Thanks for the words and thank everyone for caring because it was a shock to my soul and hurt like hell (still hurts, to be honest.)

It is good! We have conversation! And the future to explore!!

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Sorry, as emotional cripple I don't have much to offer, but I sincerely hope you are as fine as can be.
I told you a lot how smart and cute you are before, you're amongst my top 3 favourite internet people.
Rock on Honey

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 12:27 PM
link   

And yet it's kind of funny the only thing you did sort of offer I disagree with.
I don't believe in death. If I would I'd have killed myself by now. I just think if you don't solve your personal "life mystery" you'll just have to start allover with a little more extra bagagge.
But I also do have a sort of weird view of the after life. They saw Hitler go into the light, now they don't dare to follow and it has to be a cooperation between "there & here" to figure it out.
I don't believe in aliens, I don't believe in super advanced human tech that's kept secret, it's them, some of the smartest people are dead they're doing their thing trying to alert us... and stuff.
But also we got to do our part.
And just like in life nothing is free.
The biggest issue is God. Followed by materialism.
I don't got proof (yet) and I simply go by stories I like of course parts of Doris (or is it Dolores?) Cannon, mysticism and Lam and such.

But oh boy did I # up.

edit on 27-9-2020 by Peeple because: song

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 05:15 PM
link   

There are certain songs that transport me away.

This one always makes me cry when I am in this state (I know the sh# the author is facing. And it is my past! Which is why it hurts to see it).

I really needed a hug on Wednesday and got one!! I am stable now and getting more back to myself.

Let this be a marker about the dark places that we can, and sometimes do, inhabit.

But it is OK. You are not alone. It just feels that way. And as I wanted to hear, “Dave... it OK. You’ve got this!”

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Hey Baddogma,

Are all of us musicians as seriously F#d up as to where we come from (both family and society) as it seems??

I have had some family history come back and move sideways. Oddly enough, Alice In Chains seems to have the same parallel experience and we end up in self medication with and/or drugs and alcohol. Most don’t make it out alive.

You have. I thought I have but my recent past tells a different tale.

Is it because we care too much??

Being a junky or alcoholic doesn’t do anything but delay reality.

Just pensive thoughts and know that you have had the same.

Love,

David

posted on Sep, 29 2020 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

I don't think that it is overly surprising that we disagree, I think we have danced around this before, perhaps with a variation of steps. I can entertain the idea of an afterlife and it can't be disproven, just as "God" cannot, but we can weigh up the evidence and my conclusion is that while it may or may not exist, whatever assistance it provides to those on this plain of existence, is far outweighed by the destruction such beliefs have wrought. It's a vicious cycle of ever decreasing circles. I think, from my own experience at least, that these beliefs help us to both escape from the realities of inequity and injustice that has become the human condition for the majority, while allowing us to # from a great height on this planet because it doesn't matter, the next life will be better.

I've found lots of guidance on this from very smart people from the past and present, from history books and archaeology, from new discoveries and old ones. And I have my own experience to tell me that sometimes things come together in ways that appear magical, that's got to have meaning? A reason? Doesn't it? For me, yes. Absolutely. But it is of no use or help to anyone else. Whatever else maybe or may-not-be, this plain is material and that materialism is required to sustain our physicality as we cross between whatever other plains there may or may-not-be.

What I mean, is I get why people need religion, but if, instead everyone just stripped it back to the Golden Rule, treat others as you wish to be treated yourself, and stuck to that, life would be significantly better for the billions. Going old, old school, the base belief of the paleolithic perhaps, take only what you need, would supplement that nicely too, wouldn't it? Beyond that, all dressing to excuse and exonorate bad behaviour and social stratification.

But that's me, stripped of all illusions, but I'm just like everyone else, I need what I need to get me through the night.

edit on 29-9-2020 by KilgoreTrout because: tidying

posted on Sep, 29 2020 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Some music works like a faucet for me. Just turn it on and release. Like emotional mainlineing. I'm a very emotional person. The full range of course. Music is a tool I learnt to use to enable me to reach in and let my emotions out in a healthy way (and in a safe environment). If I wasn't an angry mess, I was a blubbery one. I kind of still am, I have to wary of being over-sensitive.

Feeling hurts. Feeling also helps us to transcend. It's the Agony and the Ecstasy. That's what #s us up. That's what keeps us from safely steering the Middle Way. The Ups, as well as the Downs.

I'm loving this at the moment. The lyrics are secondary. It's the bass, goes straight for my heart.

As what's her name says, soooo good.

Some burdens should be carried lightly, or cast off.

You've got this.

posted on Sep, 29 2020 @ 04:09 AM
link   

I'm not a fan of religion, Jesus and God are excuses not to investigate and think.
I believe the only paradise we'll ever get close to see is here, Earth-sy.
But your personal experience is not at all yours alone. The Golden Rule is not good enough. Sometimes you need to hurt others. For the greater good. The problem is who can judge?

Anyhoo I binge watched The Knick and loved it! Now I want to # Clive Owen.
And there was a joke in it I think is quite wonderful:
How can you tell Jesus was jewish?
His mother thought he is God and he thought his mother is a virgin

Aaaaaaaaah
So funny

posted on Sep, 29 2020 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Haha...Is the Knick the one where he does surgery and #e loads of coke?

top topics

<< 227  228  229    231  232  233 >>

join