It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

conor mcgregor vs floyd mayweather . bad fight for floyd

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

I agree with this 100%. I'm about 4 rounds into it at this point. The video starts in Spanish, then switches to the Fox play by play in English.):

It is a very interesting fight and McGregor certainly tried some things, "different angles", as Mayweather called them post fight, but I haven't seen Mayweather in any serious trouble yet. On the other hand he has shown flashes of movement and positioning and super speed that tell me that McGregor is way out of his class as a boxer, as a boxer only, though. In the cage this fight wouldn't last a minute.

I had to chuckle as McGregor kept reverting to MMA style in the overhand chops and the take down "attempts". I thought the referee was good about it with his repeated warnings.

McGregor is not a boxer at Mayweather's level. He wasted a lot of effort in different ways and boxed a strategically poor fight. He went for body shots in the middle of the ring and head shots on the ropes, just the reverse of what a pro boxer should do. The only thing that kept him in this fight was his strength and Mayweather's corner were betting correctly that he would play himself out if they waited. McGregor did a lot of dumb stuff, which makes me think that his corner weren't up to the task strategically, for a fight like this.

Another interesting thing about McGregor is that he has not trained his body in ways that great boxers do. For all practical purposes in the ring, he is muscle bound and stiff in the torso. He doesn't have the fluidity and flexibility in the torso that allows a boxer to do many things quickly and economically in different situations, particularly get out of trouble. Mayweather has this to perfection. He's a slippery guy. McGregor is clumsy and awkward in a boxing situation, great as he is in the cage.

I don't know who trained McGregor for this fight. They needed somebody like Teddy Atlas (think Cus D'Amato, Mike Tyson), but even then, there is only so much that can be done in a limited time. You can't put a package like Mayweather together in a few months, no matter how good a trainer you are.

I've never seen another Mayweather fight, but the pedigree is obvious. This guy is a Rolls Royce boxer, purring his way through without working up a sweat, waiting for McGregor to run out of gas, which is what ultimately happens.
edit on 27-8-2017 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jay-morris
No way would he have done that as a normal quiet fighter.

He can talk to Renzo Gracie, he's not a douche like McTKO'd and still made a good amount of money.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
You kinda do need to have a 'douche nozzle' persona to be successful in MMA if we're defining 'success' as earnings.

I disagree, you can be successful without being an ass.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: one4all
I am sticking with it......I have been in a few dust-ups in my day......

*crickets chirp*

*tumbleweed rolls by*

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I am sticking with it......I have been in a few dust-ups in my day......

*crickets chirp*

*tumbleweed rolls by*

Lol......it was a softball of a fight......Conor didnt even look beat up after the fight.....Floyd didnt "school him"...nope....he simply paced himself and used the Refs to get an early stoppage.....IMHO Conor was on his way out but it was also an early stoppage simply because by going 10 rounds with Floyd he had earned the benefit of the doubt.

Conor landed plenty of shots.....and lasted 10 rounds......he had more than a punchers chance to take Floyd out,so the fight displayed opportunity above and beyond what most believed Conor had going into it.....Kudos to the winner ....Floyd proved he could IMHO vanilla-bean defeat a career MMA fighter.

At the end of the day really what business did Conor have lasting 10 rounds....seriously....obviously Conor gassed out.....he was exhausted not hurt....Floyd just worked his pace sooo well he drained Conors gastank...waited to pounce and used the Ref optimally.......MMA fighters do the same things often ending fights with unanswered flurries of rabbit punches and elbows which ARE NOT KO caliber shots meaning here would have been no KO had the fighters been brought to their feet....IMHO Floyd showed veteran savvy....he pulled it together and won what in many ways was the most challenging 1/2 arsed softball fight of his career.

The lead-in script has now been written......OMG....how much money will they make when they bring Floyd into the Octagon????...will they bust the Billion mark?.......playing footsies for ten rounds before the final act of the drama show....gave both men and their bosses solid grounds and fan interest to base an MMA rematch on.

I was not expecting to see 10 rounds....which to me is the most compelling evidence of a sham ...lol...and after being so far off in my pre-fight predictions....I am ccepting it for what it was....a softball production designed to sap money out of everybody........it looked to me like Floyd could have come out and hammered the snot out of Conor....it should have been survival mode very early for Conor then he should have tagged Floyd early on in one of those exchanges or he should have weathered the storm and barely survived the first few rounds.......this wasnt even Floyd playing possum and Conor gassing....it was a total stage production IMHO.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Lol......it was a softball of a fight......Conor didnt even look beat up after the fight.....

I expected no less than you making excuses for that tomato can getting his head smacked around. Your pugilistic prognostications are as good as your hockey predictions. Which is to say terrible.

Let me know when you start making World Series or Super Bowl calls so I can put money on the opposite team you picked.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yup I was wrong about the outcome of the fight.

Hockey?...did you say Hockey....cool.....what do you wish to learn Lobsang?

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Hockey?...did you say Hockey....cool.....what do you wish to learn Lobsang?

Nothing.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   

No way would he have done that as a normal quiet fighter.

He can talk to Renzo Gracie, he's not a douche like McTKO'd and still made a good amount of money.

Renzo Gracie net worth is three million. He is 50. Conor is 29 and only been in the ufc since 2012, and looks like he will be worth over 100 million after the Floyd fight.

So how you can compare the two is beyond me. How long did it take Renzo Gracie to get 3 million if he is 50 now?

Seriously! Just give up!

You ate just another delusional hater who cannot tell the difference between a real person and a on camera person.

I knew after the fight you would have nothing good to say about Conor because haters never do.

But this debate with me, you cannot win.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Lol......it was a softball of a fight......Conor didnt even look beat up after the fight.....

I expected no less than you making excuses for that tomato can getting his head smacked around. Your pugilistic prognostications are as good as your hockey predictions. Which is to say terrible.

Let me know when you start making World Series or Super Bowl calls so I can put money on the opposite team you picked.

Seriously! Conor haters are creepy! More obsessed with him than the Conor lovers!

Quite sad really!

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Renzo Gracie net worth is three million.

And that's not successful?

I knew after the fight you would have nothing good to say about Conor because haters never do.

Why would I have anything positive to say about either of those clowns? That 'fight' was nothing more than a money-grabbing sham.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Seriously! Conor haters are creepy! More obsessed with him than the Conor lovers!

Quite sad really!

Says the guy replying to my replies to someone else.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   

This is how we all feel......Conor haters ARE creepy!!...and this one is over the top.....lol.

Quite sad really!

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Quite sad really!

Says the guy replying to my replies to someone else.

The "someone else" feels the same way......that haters gotta hate.
edit on 27-8-2017 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Ok! Let me spell it out for you one more time! Renzo Gracie is worth 3 million. That three million obviously made over a longer period of a few years. Most prob all his career.

Conor made more than a hundred million in less than five years, while other fighters who have been busting their balls for more than 10 years are not even close to a million .

This is what makes Conor different. Also what makes him different is the following he has from the creepy haters who are obsessed with him.

You have not even addressed my points about Conor being a different, humble, respectful person outside of the octagon. You would rather believe that the trash talking Conor is the real Conor, when obviously he is not.

I said Conor will do better than people think, and he did. Never said he would win the fight. But haters will never bring themselves to admit anything that shows Conor in any form of good light. But while at the same time, they are obsessed with him.

And that is Creepy!

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I'm commenting on the assumption that this was not a fixed fight and I don't think it was fixed.

Any seasoned boxing trainer at the elite level, faced with a fight against Floyd Mayweather and only a few months to prepare and handed somebody like Conor MacGregor, MMA champ, to train, has got a real problem on his hands.

The number one issue is that probably 80% of what Conor McGregor does so very well is not allowed in the boxing ring.

An elite trainer is going to look at McGregor and realize that he only has very few things going for him that don't have to be trained into him. He's in excellent shape, but with possible stamina issues. He's left handed and can switch. He has a devastating left hand punch. He has longer reach, which makes a jab a possibility.

He has nothing else of use to a boxer.

This is a problem. Boxing used to be called the "sweet science" for a reason. Doing it at Mayweather's level is built on layers of indoctrination into the subtleties of movements and maneuvers that don't come into MMA at all. A trainer would have to concentrate on the most basic of the fundamentals, particularly on "ring strategy", what to do when and where.

McGregor did not have good ring strategy and wasted a lot of energy on useless activities, like punching Mayweather's gloves. McGregor had numerous opportunities for "break time" when Mayweather was covering up, but chose to punch Mayweather's gloves. This is not good. McGregor's corner should have put a stop to that. He had an uppercut but didn't use it on several opportune occasions. Incidentally, this goes to his "muscle bound and stiff" torso, which won't allow him to quickly and fluidly change his stance for the different types of punches. Where are you, Teddy Atlas?

McGregor obviously needed a ton more road work. He couldn't go the distance.

Speaking of boxing only, not MMA, McGregor is a tough guy who can hit, but completely lacked any real ring savvy. I don't fault him for that. I think this fight was lost further up the chain of command in the corner and with the trainers. He should, at the least, even if he lost the fight anyway, have been able to go the distance.

Given the realities of the situation, McGregor did very well and certainly didn't embarrass the MMA community, but there have to be people around him wondering the "what ifs".

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

Well said! I agree. He did land some shots, but wasted a lot of energy hit Floyd's gloves. Saying That, he did not do half as bad as haters and experts were saying before the fight.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   

The "someone else" feels the same way......that haters gotta hate.

It's okay Lemieux, you'll just have to deal with it.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Ok! Let me spell it out for you one more time! Renzo Gracie is worth 3 million. That three million obviously made over a longer period of a few years. Most prob all his career.

And? Is accumulating $3,000,000 not being successful?

You have not even addressed my points about Conor being a different, humble, respectful person outside of the octagon. You would rather believe that the trash talking Conor is the real Conor, when obviously he is not.

Who cares? His public persona is Grand Master Douche level.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
conor admits all this.
says he would have liked the ref to let it go but understands and respects his decision.

he also said he was not overwhelmed by floyds strength or precision. it was his composure.

conor did far better than most thought he would. people were saying he would not even land a punch.

i dont understand why people want to see floyd fight conor in an mma rules match next. i have zero interest in that.

personally i want to see conor work hard on his ground game and then he can truly become the greatest we have seen to date.
i think straight blast has his overall conditioning and standup covered with john kavnaugh an owen roddy but they need to get this boy a legit ground game.
he needs to go spend some serious time with some high level guys and he can cover huge ground.

imagine how he would if he went and spent a month straight(and then flew in or brought in some 10th planet guys for a camp) and worked on high level #.

a month with eddie bravo and then go into camp with some of those high level guys like nathan orchard or geo martinez..

he could go spend some time with john danaher and roll with guys like garry tonon and eddie cummings. he could spend a month there and then go into camp with jake shields or somthing.

i think he needs to spend some solid time with some high level no gi guys with a system that is geared for mma.

conor has lost 3 times and they are all via submission

when he fought chad mendes he was in danger cause chad was working him on the ground.

thats why i am worried about a fight with khabib. i think conor is going to get demolished if that fight happens

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join