It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

conor mcgregor vs floyd mayweather . bad fight for floyd

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
a reply to: Jay-morris

I was mostly joking. That guy is Tyron Woodley, the undisputed 170lb UFC champ. He's one of the few MMA fighters who openly talks about racial issues & politics in a serious way (He's from Ferguson, Missouri). And predictably, he's gotten a lot of hate for it. So his gifs are kind of like a meme now to point out any perceived slight that may have even a 1% chance of being about race (I'm still a fan though).

I also used that gif as a subtle dig at Conor because it looked like Conor and Woodley would be the next fight for Conor before the Floyd fight materialized. They even had a semi-tense staredown backstage before UFC 205 where Conor won the 155lb belt & Woodley defended the 170lb belt in a draw.

Ironically, Conor didn't bring his 145lb belt to the fight so he only received the new 155lb belt at that event. But since everyone wanted the photo-op of him with 2 belts, Woodley let him borrow his belt for the pics.

I know, I watched it unfold when Woodley was at a press conference with conor (post fight i think) And it was brought up.

Sorry, even though that is one if the thing I like about Conor, that he would fight anyone, Woodley would beat him. But Conor is always pushing himself, always looking to do something new.

Now, I understand this can be annoying ( fighting for his belts) but Conor is always looking at the next big thing, and it does not get any better than fighting Floyd. MAN vs boxing.

A lot of people say miss match, that Conor has no chance, but I do not believe that. I believe the first four/five rounds, Conor has the skill and the power to really do something.

If I am wrong, I will happily come back on this thread if i am wrong.

I just hope it is a great fight!

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Jay-morris

If I am wrong, I will happily come back on this thread if i am wrong.

I just hope it is a great fight!

Same here. I made four bets for £4 before the fight was official and stand to make almost £500 if Conor wins early. Hedged them with an extra bet for Floyd to win for £34.

I never win anything.

It's been worth the fiver for sheer fun.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

That guy is Tyron Woodley, the undisputed 170lb UFC champ. He's one of the few MMA fighters who openly talks about racial issues & politics in a serious way (He's from Ferguson, Missouri). And predictably, he's gotten a lot of hate for it.

Tyron Woodley is a massive welterweight who took the belt by being a hell of a fighter then decided he was going to conserve the belt by whatever means necessary. This attitude resulted in 3 of the most boring fights imaginable. The 2 fights against, especially the second, against Wonderboy and the last fight against Deimian Maia.

Some say it is because he has been matched against his exact worst matches, wonderboy being a karate point guy and Maia being a BJJ guy but damn...record for low strike count in the last fight!

The problem with Woodley is no one wants to buy his fights because the guy doesn't excite the crowd, they turned on their phone lights in the last fight!!!

It isn't racism, never was. It is boredom.

The racism thing was ridiculous, the MMA community has had so many successful black fighters, Demetrious Johnson (p4p best fighter), Jon Jones, Rashad Evans, Anderson Silva (my personal p4p), Daniel Cormier, Tito Ortiz, Anthony Johnson, even up and comers such as Michael Johnson or Francis Ngannou...

Point being, accusing the UFC of racism is ridiculous, but doesn't surprise me, coming from you.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Point being, accusing the UFC of racism is ridiculous, but doesn't surprise me, coming from you.

Where did I accuse the UFC of racism? Learn to read. I said Woodley speaks openly about that stuff and gets a backlash because of it. Check sites like Sherdog and you'll see his gifs jokingly used exactly the way I portrayed, as a meme on any subject that has even a 1% chance of dealing with race.

Something like: "Why'd he eat the white creme in the Oreo before eating the black cookies? Hmmm..." -insert Woodley gif-. And that's how I used his gif in my initial post, as a playful joke. So it's funny that you instantly jumped in to make this into something more than that.

ETA: And for the record, you're wrong on the timeline. He beat Lawler in a first round KO to win the belt. Right after that, people like Luke Thomas and Ariel would ask him about race related issues in their interviews. He got a massive backlash for a lot of the things he said. Then 2 of his next 3 fights were snoozefests, which got him even more criticism. The first Wonderboy fight won something like "Fight of the Night" though, so I don't see how you can say that was boring (especially since Woodley almost finished him).

edit on 26-8-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-8-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Where did I accuse the UFC of racism? Learn to read. I said Woodley speaks openly about that stuff and gets a backlash because of it. Check sites like Sherdog and you'll see his gifs jokingly used exactly the way I portrayed, as a meme on any subject that has even a 1% chance of dealing with race.

NO!!!

Goddammit, don't you try to lie. You specifically brought the subject of Woodley and racism into the conversation when the conversation was not about that.

Concerning the first Woodley-Wonderboy fight, go back and watch it. There were some interesting bits but mostly it was a guy afraid of being taken down (Thompson) and a guy afraid of a heavy right hand (Woodley).

Whether you agree or not right now, seriously, rewatch the fight without the hype.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

And I was joking as I openly stated. You're the only one who's taking it seriously, which is funny because this post (HERE) wasn't even directed at you.

Though I was correct about Woodley getting a lot of hate because of his statements on race & politics (like this, and this and this and this). Never once did I say he was correct with his opinions, but your kneejerk reactions didn't allow you to see that far.

Also, the first Wonderboy fight was great so I don't know what you're talking about there. It shouldn't have even been a draw because Woodley was the only one who did any damage and was the only one close to ending the fight. Wonderboy tried to point fight then acted like he should've won. Their 2nd fight was admittedly horrible to watch, but not the first.

I also don't think Woodley gets the credit he deserves for shutting down Maia. Dude was on a 7 fight win streak including a 1st round destruction of Condit that seems to have retired him. But Woodley made him look like an amateur. It was a good technical fight, even if it wasn't the bloody brawl that some fans seem to have expected. For what it's worth, Maia also had a boring title fight with Spider so I think it's because he has no plan B when his takedowns aren't working.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   
SPOILER ALERT: DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE RESULT.

Damnit, Conor did well for an amateur but Floyd showed up in the later rounds. I still prefer MMA though.

The lovefest in the corner just after the fight tells me they will fight again, I just want our boi Conor back in the octagon, where he belongs.

edit on 27-8-2017 by Jonjonj because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   
McGregor's strategy was bad. He should have fought Mayweather's fight. Lay low for five rounds and then have the fight he planned for the first few rounds in the last few rounds. I know he's an explosive fighter but going after Mayweather when he is at his strongest turned out to be a bad idea, and exactly what Mayweather's corner were expecting.

McGregor certainly exceeded expectations though.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   
This fight was predictable like an atomic clock, because its no way in the world what amounts to an amateur boxer, McGregor, ever going to beat a professional boxer like Mayweather who is one of the greatest ever. It’s not possible.

Sure, a guy with rudimentary skills may get a few good blows in but a professional boxer will always beat a fighter.

Boxing is a very skilled profession.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Oh dear. My unbroken winning streak of losing bets continues undaunted.

CM did better than most people expected and has been getting good feedback from the boxing world...aside from Carl Froch. He did what many of Floyd's challengers have done by unwittingly playing to his strengths despite knowing what his game plan would be. Gotta say I enjoyed Floyd's approach much more than previous fights, but he wouldn't have reached the 49 without his famously tight, often boring, defence.

originally posted by: Willtell

Sure, a guy with rudimentary skills may get a few good blows in but a professional boxer will always beat a fighter.

Boxing is a very skilled profession.

MMA is a very skilled profession too or, to be more accurate, people at the top of either profession are very skilled. The fight ran a very similar course to Mayweather V Hatton (a British undefeated boxer) imo.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Well, fight went the way I thought it would go. Conor can hold his head high in my opinion. Floyd still has it

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Floyd spent the first couple of rounds working out Conor's traps and tells and trying to piece together the patterns in his movement. Ate a few shots and lost a couple rounds doing it but it paid off...that was a great performance and an awesome display of ring IQ and planning. Ratings to mcgregor too, he showed a lot of heart despite being completely outclassed and displayed a lot of humility in defeat.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 06:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
Floyd spent the first couple of rounds working out Conor's traps and tells and trying to piece together the patterns in his movement. Ate a few shots and lost a couple rounds doing it but it paid off...that was a great performance and an awesome display of ring IQ and planning. Ratings to mcgregor too, he showed a lot of heart despite being completely outclassed and displayed a lot of humility in defeat.

Fight went pretty much how I said it would. Floyd is pure class. Haters seem to forget that Conor is always humble after defeat or victory. I think he can hold his head up.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 06:13 AM
link   
floyd does what he always does.
conor did good but he gassed out and then it was over

on a different note. it was live in vegas. i live in ohio was watching in south africa and he seemed to be about 10 minutes ahead of me and i dont get it.
he was texting me # that was happening before i saw it.

why would south africa have a feed ahead of us?

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Broadcast screwed up, think they had to play it later to catch up here. Freaking ridiculous, a lot of people who shelled out $100 didn't even get to see the fight.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: TinySickTears

Broadcast screwed up, think they had to play it later to catch up here. Freaking ridiculous, a lot of people who shelled out $100 didn't even get to see the fight.

wouldnt it be later for everyone though?

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   
back to the fight.

all in all i thought it was a good fight.
conor punched himself out and i was a little afraid of that.

what i did not like is i seems more like floyd was ducking and giving his back to conor. not sure if it was to avoid getting hit in front or to try to get conor to work him from the back for a possible DQ but that is my only real complaint.

conor hit floyd a lot but not with anything serious.

to be fair it looks like floyd did a rope a dope of sorts so a lot of the shots that were landing were due to floyd letting them.
foyd never looked worried or tired.

just didnt like the ducking to the back.

i kept getting glimpses of what it would be like in the cage with conor going low and feet wide to clinch ready to lift and slam.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I thought the fight was very one sided. First two rounds it seemed obvious that Mayweather was just assessing what McGregor had and he quickly worked out that McGregor had no power. It just seemed like he didn;t know how to throw a punch with the kind of leverage a trained boxer has.

After those two rounds, Mayweather was just having fun and in the end, I was quite pleased the ref stepped in as at that point it looked like a guy from the crowd had stepped in with one of the best boxers of all time.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jay-morris

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015

Fight went pretty much how I said it would. Floyd is pure class. Haters seem to forget that Conor is always humble after defeat or victory. I think he can hold his head up.

Agreed - Floyd is the best pure exponent of the art of boxing I have ever seen. Nobody ever worked out how to get through his defence. Not the best puncher, but quick and racks up the points.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

What?

A professional boxer is no match to a professional fighter anywhere but the boxing ring, and by the boxing rules. If the fight was in the octagon, this would have been a different story.

Entertaining fight, hope Floyd stops beating women now that he's got all that money again

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join