It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trump Fires James Comey

page: 53
<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
When would've been the best time to fire him?

That assumes it was right to fire him?

FBI Directors are appointed to 10 year terms to avoid politicization of the Justice Department.

He was only 4 years in.

The only other time in history an FBI Director was fired was when he was found to have spent tax-payer money on home improvements and cheated on his taxes.

Comey broke no laws..

If it was the manner in which he articulated his reasons for not indicting Clinton...the same thing Trump thanked him for and celebrated during the campaign....then Trump could have done it 4 months ago when he took office.

Doing it now...Days after Comey requested more resources to investigate Russia's involvement in the 2016 election and the possible collusion of the Trump Campaign?

Trump is a despot...No spin makes that any less true...
edit on 10-5-2017 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

link   
Now Republicans are trying to get away from this sh1t storm as far away as possible. Even Pence looks like a deer caught in the headlights. This Russiagate just got real with GOP support. Special prosecuter, expanded FBI, CIA, NSA investigations and Trump/Session have no one to blame but themselves.
edit on 10-5-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: Advantage

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: RickinVa

originally posted by: Xcathdra

a reply to: burntheships

No, LE enforces the law. He declined to do that, using the weak excuse "no reasonable prosecutor" load of BS.

Of course you think that. You don't understand precedence and how those laws are enforced. He and others explained it quite well.

By the way, why hasn't anyone stepped-up to prosecute her? Hmmm...

When he did that, while calling her careless and negligent, He sealed his fate. She would have ruined him in an ugly way had she won. Anyone who denies this is just plain lying.

So you would admit that this was a political firing by Trump? Anyone who denies this is just plain lying.

It appears he did the same thing Clinton would have done..if she had won, of course.

Remind me again how long you worked for the Clinton campaign... I remember you talking about it sometime back.

I've never said I worked for the Clinton campaign.

Can you address what I said and refrain from making idiotic statements?

I remember you saying that as well...you post so much it would take hours to find it,,,but never understimate ATS members.

I invite you to find any post in which I said I worked for the Clinton campaign.

Tip: You won't find one. Because I've never said it.

I would certainly remember if you said that. I don't.
Maybe some confusion with someone else.

Seems to be quite a bit of confusion around here.

Agreed - I've even seen some people sticking to the Russian collusion thing

I don't think I've seen any evidence of collusion yet, but we should wait for the investigation to conclude before we come to any conclusions.

Although, Trump's firing of Comey now casts a suspicious light on the entire ordeal. I think the comparisons to Nixon are applicable.

Nixon NEVER fired an FBI director...
Thats just another BS lie that folks have swallowed hook line and sinker.. and incorporate it into their arguments. BILL CLINTON fired an FBI director though...

I did not say Nixon fired a FBI director. Nixon fired the special prosecutor looking in to Watergate.

Trump fired the guy looking in to the Russia aspect. I think the comparison is applicable.

Perhaps you should ask for clarification before making ignorant assumptions.

I wonder why you are so rude to me... oh well.

He wasnt looking into the Russian aspect, he doesnt investigate. He's the director and any investigation current or future into the president and Russian connections will not be effected by his firing. Comey is not a "special prosecutor" or investigator of any kind in this. Trump has stopped or slowed NOTHING and I hope any and all investigations continue into Trump, Flynn, all of them.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

I wonder why you are so rude to me... oh well.

There was no rudeness to my post. You made an ignorant assumption that I had bought some lie, hook, line and sinker, that Nixon fired a FBI director. I said nothing of the sort in my post.

He wasnt looking into the Russian aspect, he doesnt investigate. He's the director and any investigation current or future into the president and Russian connections will not be effected by his firing.

He was the head of the FBI and was in charge of the current investigations. Nixon also fired the person in charge of the Watergate investigation.

The comparison is applicable.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: Gandalf77

originally posted by: EartOccupant
a reply to: Gandalf77

If you can not find intend in the e-mail "scandel" with proven miscunduct, but not proven intend...

You are not the guy to lead the FBI

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I get it. It's all about the email scandal and Billary. I don't give 2/3 of a purple crap about Billary or what happens to her. Didn't vote for her and wouldn't in a million years.

My point is that they can spin this any which way they want, the timing STINKS.
This could be one big poop bomb that's going blow up in their face.
Just about anyone who hasn't guzzled the Trump Kool-aid can see how bad this looks.

You should care about what happens to her. Her email arrangement was illegal and endangered national security. Comey laid out all the evidence that crimes were committed and chose not to recommend charges because his boss was Loretta Lynch. You can't just give her a pass because the election is over, it sets a dangerous precedent for any future mishandling of classified info. All the left cried that it was just a ploy to bring down her campaign, well guess what for those of us who have held a security clearance and know for a fact she broke the law, it was never about that. It was about upholding the law, and still is. She needs to be prosecuted.

Look, that's just fine. Like I said, I don't give a crap about her. Totally your business. Hope it makes you happy. Hope you feel more secure when she's locked up.

Given the larger context and what we're learning, the timing still STINKS. And there's not one iota of rabid, patriotic Tumpensteinian antilogic that will kill that stench.

You honestly don't see the problem? You think this is just an issue to make ex military guys feel better? Do you have no concept of how national security affects you?

I have more of a concept of national security and how it affects me than you know.
Like I said, lock her up. I don't care.

The timing of this still STINKS.
- We're just starting to see more public-facing actions from the ongoing investigation that has turned up no evidence by virture of the fact we haven't heard it. (More Trumpensteinian antilogic) Flynn's associates have been subpoenaed.

- Comey went to Rosenstein w/a request for more money and resources for that investigation that's turned up nothing because we haven't heard it.

- That evil little hick version of the Keebler elves--Jeff Sessions--weighed in this too, even though he's already recused himself in the matter for being one of several individuals who conveniently forgot about discussions with the Russians.

Maybe nothing ever comes of it all. I'm willing to let it play out. If there's nothing, there's nothing. No biggy. If there's something there after all, though, I hope your concerns about national security are apolitical and nonpartisan because treason's a BIG one.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Now Republicans are trying to get away from this sh1t storm as far away as possible. Even Pence looks like a deer caught in the headlights. This Russiagate just got real with GOP support. Special prosecuter, expanded FBI, CIA, NSA investigations and Trump/Session have no one to blame but themselves.

Don't hold your breath. There will be no special prosecutor, and even if there was Democrats would still cry because the special prosecutor would be appointed by Sessions. The investigation will be concluded by the FBI despite Comey being fired, since that really has no impact on the investigation at all. When they announce their investigation revealed no collusion between Trump and Russia, Democrats will cry that it wasn't an impartial investigation, and they would do the same if a special prosecutor was used and came to the same conclusion. It's all grandstanding for votes from the gullible and uninformed.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

Your partisanship blinds you to the fact that you are describing how Tyrants dismantle democratic systems..

Wait, wait, wait... YOU are accusing ME of blind partisanship?

... give me a minute here.... oh, that hurts to laugh that hard!

Hoo, boy!

Someone's auditioning for Colbert's replacement! You got a shot with funnies like that!

...yeah, that was funny right there, I don't care who you are!

What are Warren and Pelosi guilty of?

Warren, I'm not sure, but something has her scared silly about all this. One thing I know from my years on this rock is how to spot fear. Now if she's just paranoid and relatively clean, I'll apologize for my conclusion. But until that is determined... she acts guilty as sin.

Pelosi...you must be new to politics. I could spend three days and fill up 24 threads with her illegal actions, from political head-hunting, to misappropriation of funds, to insider trading, to selling political positions, to illegal campaign practices. She's just so well-protected that charges don't get to stick.

The United States of America will not tolerate this idiotic wannabe-tyrant much longer

The same United States that voted for him... right.

But what will stay with me will be anonymous posters like you Red, that giddily cheered Trumps every swing of the hatched at the roots of our free democracy..

Oh, I'm anonymous now? Come down to northeast Alabama (in my mini-profile) and ask someone where The Redneck lives... that's a real-life nickname and I'm not exactly poorly known. I see your location as " ." Very specific....

No, I don't want to know who or where you are... your prerogative to stay anonymous, as most of us here do. Probably a good decision for most. But I do want to point out your hypocrisy.

Oh, and I wasn't aware James B. Comey was a 'root of our free democracy.' Thanks for the heads up.

Move over Colbert! Here comes indigo5!

TheRedneck

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   

If you can not find intend in the e-mail "scandel" with proven miscunduct, but not proven intend...

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I get it. It's all about the email scandal and Billary. I don't give 2/3 of a purple crap about Billary or what happens to her. Didn't vote for her and wouldn't in a million years.

Just about anyone who hasn't guzzled the Trump Kool-aid can see how bad this looks.

You should care about what happens to her. Her email arrangement was illegal and endangered national security. Comey laid out all the evidence that crimes were committed and chose not to recommend charges because his boss was Loretta Lynch. You can't just give her a pass because the election is over, it sets a dangerous precedent for any future mishandling of classified info. All the left cried that it was just a ploy to bring down her campaign, well guess what for those of us who have held a security clearance and know for a fact she broke the law, it was never about that. It was about upholding the law, and still is. She needs to be prosecuted.

Look, that's just fine. Like I said, I don't give a crap about her. Totally your business. Hope it makes you happy. Hope you feel more secure when she's locked up.

Given the larger context and what we're learning, the timing still STINKS. And there's not one iota of rabid, patriotic Tumpensteinian antilogic that will kill that stench.

You honestly don't see the problem? You think this is just an issue to make ex military guys feel better? Do you have no concept of how national security affects you?

I have more of a concept of national security and how it affects me than you know.

- We're just starting to see more public-facing actions from the ongoing investigation that has turned up no evidence by virture of the fact we haven't heard it. (More Trumpensteinian antilogic) Flynn's associates have been subpoenaed.

- Comey went to Rosenstein w/a request for more money and resources for that investigation that's turned up nothing because we haven't heard it.

- That evil little hick version of the Keebler elves--Jeff Sessions--weighed in this too, even though he's already recused himself in the matter for being one of several individuals who conveniently forgot about discussions with the Russians.

Maybe nothing ever comes of it all. I'm willing to let it play out. If there's nothing, there's nothing. No biggy. If there's something there after all, though, I hope your concerns about national security are apolitical and nonpartisan because treason's a BIG one.

I haven't mentioned the timing, I took issue with how you could say you don't care about what happens to Clinton. I am even more concerned if you say you do understand national security. Understanding national security and not caring someone got away with mishandling highly classified documents don't really go hand in hand.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Don't hold your breath. There will be no special prosecutor, and even if there was Democrats would still cry because the special prosecutor would be appointed by Sessions. The investigation will be concluded by the FBI despite Comey being fired, since that really has no impact on the investigation at all. When they announce their investigation revealed no collusion between Trump and Russia, Democrats will cry that it wasn't an impartial investigation, and they would do the same if a special prosecutor was used and came to the same conclusion. It's all grandstanding for votes from the gullible and uninformed.

It's not just about Dembs anymore...this is a bipartisan issue as it should be. I don't think you insulting ATS members is helping your defense of the Trump WH. Just sayin....this isn't the mudpit. Or perhaps ATS is now one big mudpit.
edit on 10-5-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I always thought it odd that the FBI director was canned and a day later Foster committed 'suicide'. FBI was going hard after the Clintons with Travelgate and other issues. Sessions was connected to that.

However, here, Comey was not doing his job. From a bipartisan aspect no one liked him. He was not doing the office justice. We keep him around if he is inept to do his job.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Advantage

I cant believe youre defending the kind of corruption we see in DC,etc. You cant defend that... even by twisting what Plato was actually applying his thoughts to... you cant defend this.

I am not defending Corruption in DC...I am shining a bright light on it...perhaps you have those auto-dimming partisan glasses on? Where the more light the darker your vision gets?

James Comey was a lot of things...and made mistakes, some of them big, but nothing that warranted firing.

Comey got his under-graduate degree in religion and likely would have gone into the seminary if he didn't become entranced by the law. He worked harder than past Directors to treat the law like religion...without the taint of politics.

Did I think he effed-up with how he handled the HRC email announcement not to indict? Sure..he shouldn't have commented beyond conclusion.

Do I think that was cause to fire him, like Trump contends? No...that is ridiculous and Trump praised him for those exact actions repeatedly...

The Odds of Trump finding another honest man to lead the FBI are zero.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I wonder if any of these arguments from Rod Rosenstein have been considered?

The director was wrong to usurp the Attorney General's authority on July 5, 2016, and announce his conclusion that the case should be closed without prosecution. It is not the function of the Director to make such an announcement. At most, the Director should have said the FBI had completed its investigation and presented its findings to federal prosecutors. The Director now defends his decision by asserting that he believed attorney General Loretta Lynch had a conflict. But the FBI Director is never empowered to supplant federal prosecutors and assume command of the Justice Department.

True in any legal system outside of Sharia.

We do not hold press conferences to release derogatory information about the subject of a declined criminal investigation. Derogatory information sometimes is disclosed in the course of criminal investigations and prosecutions, but we never release it gratuitously. The Director laid out his version of the facts for the news media as if it were a closing argument, but without a trial. It is a textbook example of what federal prosecutors and agents are taught not to do.

Comey laid out his version of the facts to the media, outside of the legal system.

In response to skeptical question at a congressional hearing, the Director defended his remarks by saying that his "goal was to say what is true. What did we do, what did we find, what do we think about it." But the goal of a federal criminal investigation is not to announce our thoughts at a press conference. The goal is to determine whether there is sufficient evidence to justify a federal criminal prosecution, then allow a federal prosecutor who exercises authority delegated by the Attorney General to make a prosecutorial decision, and then - if prosecution is warranted - let the judge and jury determine the facts.

The FBI is not a federal court, and the FBI director is not a prosecutor, and he is definitely neither judge nor jury. "What we think about it" is actually up to a jury to conclude.

Concerning his letter to the Congress on October 28, 2016, the Director cast his decision as a choice between whether he would "speak" about the FBI's decision to investigate the newly-discovered email messages or "conceal" it. "Conceal" is a loaded term that misstates the issue. When federal agents and prosecutors quietly open a criminal investigation, we are not concealing anything; we are simply following the longstanding policy that we refrain from publicizing non-public information.

Again, dead on.

Comey's disregard for the legal system and its "longstanding policy" are more than enough to see him terminated, and rightfully so.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
only TASS, an official news arm of the Russian government was allowed into the meeting between the Russian ambassador and trump this morning....all American news outlets were not allowed into the meeting....das vandanya to democracy comrades...we all now get our marching orders from Putin

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

I always thought it odd that the FBI director was canned and a day later Foster committed 'suicide'.

Vintage right wing conspiracy..

However, here, Comey was not doing his job.

By virtually all accounts, it was Comey doing his job that prompted Trump to fire him.

From a bipartisan aspect no one liked him.

Perhaps so, but in a hyper-partisan DC, that might be the greatest testament to his integrity someone can say about the guy.

Apart from partisan politicians...those that worked for him, even those that disagreed with him at FBI...are not taking this well..

FBI agents in tears as news of Comey's firing spread
www.politico.com...

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   

It's not just about Dembs anymore...this is a bipartisan issue as it should be. I don't think you insulting ATS members is helping your defense of the Trump WH. Just sayin....this isn't the mudpit.

Where in there did I insult any members? If you're referring to "Democrats" and "the gullible and uninformed" those are generalized statements they're not directed at anyone specific. And I'm not necessarily defending Trump, just pointing out how ludicrous the grandstanding around this issue is. It's a non-issue. Comey's boss, an Obama-appointed US Attorney who just got confirmed by the Senate 94-6 (yes that means almost every Dem voted for him) as Deputy AG formally recommended to Trump that he should fire Comey. That explains the timing. It doesn't protect Trump from the Russia investigation if you have even basic knowledge of how investigations work. That explains away the conspiracy theories. It's ABSURD. I'm sure he'll # some real things up in the next 4 years. Dems are crying wolf over so much nonsense now nobody is gonna believe them when he does something actually wrong.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
only TASS, an official news arm of the Russian government was allowed into the meeting between the Russian ambassador and trump this morning....all American news outlets were not allowed into the meeting....das vandanya to democracy comrades...we all now get our marching orders from Putin

Excellent. Best to keep the fake news out.
They made their bed, now they can lie in it (continuously lie that is).

edit on 10/5/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I haven't mentioned the timing, I took issue with how you could say you don't care about what happens to Clinton. I am even more concerned if you say you do understand national security. Understanding national security and not caring someone got away with mishandling highly classified documents don't really go hand in hand.

It's not that I don't care about mishandling highly classified documents. Yes, that's clearly an issue. No argument. I just don't care what happens to Billary. Period.
My point here is that the timing stinks, no matter what kind of spin they try to put on it. It already seems to be blowing up in their face.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

The FBI is not a federal court, and the FBI director is not a prosecutor, and he is definitely neither judge nor jury. "What we think about it" is actually up to a jury to conclude.

That's not entirely true. What the FBI thinks is important and their opinion is represented by the recommendations they make to the JD on any given case.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
I wonder if any of these arguments from Rod Rosenstein have been considered?

Has anyone considered what President Trump had to say about that same issue?

Before Comey confirmed the Russia Investigation

TRUMP
“I respect the fact that Director Comey was able to come back after what he did,” Trump said the day after the now-ousted FBI director’s announcement.

“It took guts for Director Comey to make the move that he made in light of the kind of opposition he had where they’re trying to protect her from criminal prosecution,” he said on Oct. 31. “You know that. It took a lot of guts.”

“I was not his fan,” he added, “but I’ll tell you what: What he did, he brought back his reputation. He brought it back.”

talkingpointsmemo.com...

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

That's not entirely true. What the FBI thinks is important and their opinion is represented by the recommendations they make to the JD on any given case.

For one, Comey wasn't the FBI. Two, the goal is to determine whether there is sufficient evidence to justify a criminal prosecution.

new topics

top topics

<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join