It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Republicans Pass Bill to End Overtime Pay

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Making America suck again by taking away every opportunity and benefit from working people and giving everything to the rich. We tried to warn you, but Americans were too infatuated with testosterone fueled rants and rebellion to listen to anyone who actually understood what they were doing. Hopefully this won't pass the senate, otherwise we'll all be worked to death and given only promises of eventual time off in return. Let's go back to the days when everyone worked 15 hours a day 6 days a week and died penniless by age 60. Doesn't that count as treason?

money.cnn.com...
edit on 2-5-2017 by CB328 because: (no reason given)

+15 more 
posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
You have to read the bill so you can see what's in it.

+24 more 
posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328
had you actually read the thing, the employee has the option of overtime pay or time off. however it does look like if you opt for the time off its up to the company on how and when it is given. no one is taking away overtime pay by that bill.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Not getting rid of my overtime.

I have a contract signed by my employer.

+8 more 
posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   

The measure, backed by Republicans, would let employers give workers time off instead of time-and-a-half pay the next time they put in extra hours. The vote tally was largely along party lines, with no Democrats voting in favor of the bill. Six Republicans also voted against it.

FAKE NEWS!.

Getting time off ?

WHERES THE FREGGIN OUTRAGE ?

Geezus.

+9 more 
posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I am trying to figure this out, any help through the legalise would be helpful

From what I am gathering, the employee can choose to have that extra hour worked after 40 to go either as overtime pay, or to rack up hours so you can take paid time off down the road..so you can work like a ant for 50 hours a week and after 4 weeks, take a entire week off while getting paid.

From what I see, its the employee's choice.

If thats the entire bill, then I am actually in favor of that. Hell, work 4 months and take the 5th one off while paid. work an extra hour a day and come in on saturday for a few hours...

I am actually a big fan of that idea..but anyone taking a month off every 5th month would probably be replaced tbh.

+7 more 
posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
Making America suck again by taking away every opportunity and benefit from working people and giving everything to the rich. We tried to warn you, but Americans were too infatuated with testosterone fueled rants and rebellion to listen to anyone who actually understood what they were doing. Hopefully this won't pass the senate, otherwise we'll all be worked to death and given only promises of eventual time off in return. Let's go back to the days when everyone worked 15 hours a day 6 days a week and died penniless by age 60. Doesn't that count as treason?

money.cnn.com...

What BS are you pushing?

The measure, backed by Republicans, would let employers give workers time off instead of time-and-a-half pay the next time they put in extra hours. The vote tally was largely along party lines, with no Democrats voting in favor of the bill. Six Republicans also voted against it.

Are you against the option?

Not surprised Elizabeth Warren can't wrap her head around this either.

Today, @HouseGOP are voting to make it legal for employers to cheat workers out of overtime. It's a disgrace. t.co...
— Elizabeth Warren (@SenWarren) May 2, 2017

This is why CNN can not be trusted.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
I am trying to figure this out, any help through the legalise would be helpful

From what I am gathering, the employee can choose to have that extra hour worked after 40 to go either as overtime pay, or to rack up hours so you can take paid time off down the road..so you can work like a ant for 50 hours a week and after 4 weeks, take a entire week off while getting paid.

From what I see, its the employee's choice.

If thats the entire bill, then I am actually in favor of that. Hell, work 4 months and take the 5th one off while paid. work an extra hour a day and come in on saturday for a few hours...

I am actually a big fan of that idea..but anyone taking a month off every 5th month would probably be replaced tbh.

hell yeah. im about to crash but i need to read this tomorrow. if it is structured like you say then i am all for it.
im all for it as long as the time off instead of time plus a half is my choice....

dont mind working extra to log time off as long as i can choose how that unfolds.
for the most part though i work extra hours for the extra money....i dont need time off if im broke you know

link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

The only hangup I can see is if they are only giving one hour PTO vs the time and a half overtime pay.

link   
a reply to: JinMI

Not surprised Elizabeth Warren can't wrap her head around this either.

Native American poser speaks with fork tongue.

+3 more 
posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   
The federal government has been doing this for years.....you can get paid or take comp time off equal to the overtime worked.

Most people chose comp time.
edit on R192017-05-02T21:19:26-05:00k195Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa
The federal government has been doing this for years.....you can get paid or take comp time off equal to the overtime worked.

Most people chose comp time.

In everyplace I've worked (private companies) they've done away with that option. Used to be a nice perk.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: luke1212

Do you believe that? What it will end up being is a loaded Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday-then hours cut.

Do they get an hour and a half off for every hour of over time?

Be fun to get an hour off every day for the next 8 days instead of 12 hours of pay or get a whole day off.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   

I will personally light my pitchfork on fire and storm the capital building if they do away with overtime pay, and i own my own business. My guys rely on that overtime money and i am happy to pay it.
edit on 2-5-2017 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
One of the biggest problems with this is that it removed the incentive to not overwork people. Without a financial penalty companies will feel that they can make people work as much as they want.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   

They'll still feel the financial burden. What it does it makes companies think a little more about how liberal they are with their overtime, which they should.

My take on it is if a company can be frivolous with its overtime than it is not paying its workers enough anyway.

An old boss went by the mantra, "we don't make a dime from you if you're not here." Being there was more important than the overtime.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
One of the biggest problems with this is that it removed the incentive to not overwork people. Without a financial penalty companies will feel that they can make people work as much as they want.

But again, if hours are being accrued, then it all comes down to how the comp time is negotiated. As I said, saving up hours so you can take a couple week vacation every couple months would be pretty great. (that mixed in with vacation time and you could have quite a nice social life).

I like money, but I dont want to be working just to see a rising bank account. Taking time off to explore and live life is key to sanity imo..else you are just a worker bee until you grow old.

link   

What the bill should demand is a capped % of overtime versus time-off - like an employer must provide, say a minimum of 50% as overtime and employees can negotiate the remaining 50% as either time-off or overtime where the maximum overtime is 75% of total extra-over hours worked under existing minimum hours rules.

So the employer gets his extra work at no extra cost 25% of the time and the employee gets either overtime (to a max of 75%) or time-off (to a max of 50%).

link   
Time off at a small company?

They will have to hire someone to cover for you.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
ITS CNN. Way to get everyone distracted from that shutdown prevention legislation they just passed, and the 54 billions more for defense earlier, and the trillion dollar Omnibus package over 2016 holidays.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join