It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Republicans Pass Bill to End Overtime Pay

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

H.R. 1180 – Working Families Flexibility Act of 2017 (Rep. Roby, R-AL, and 17 cosponsors)

May 2, 2017
(House)

STATEMENT OF ADMINISTRATION POLICY

H.R. 1180 – Working Families Flexibility Act of 2017
(Rep. Roby, R-AL, and 17 cosponsors)

The Administration supports H.R. 1180, the Working Families Flexibility Act of 2017. H.R. 1180 would amend the Fair Labor Standards Act to allow private-sector employers to give their employees the choice to receive paid time off instead of cash payments for each hour of time for which overtime compensation would otherwise be required. The bill would extend to private-sector workers a choice that public-sector employees have long enjoyed.

H.R. 1180 would help American workers balance the competing demands of family and work by giving them flexibility to earn paid time off—time they can later use for any reason, including family commitments like attending school appointments and caring for a sick child. In addition, H.R. 1180 contains critical protections to ensure employees can continue to choose overtime pay and to prohibit employers from coercing their employees to accept compensatory time instead of overtime pay.

If H.R. 1180 were presented to the President in its current form, his advisors would recommend that he sign the bill into law.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

1 1/2 pay = 1hour off if I understand it.

Very very good for the corps.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Thanks for digging that up LeMis. From the way I'm reading it it would be a 1.5=1 rate and not a 1.5=1.5 rate?

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
shoot ill glady take paid time off over having to work overtime hours. seems like a win win to me atleast in my case unless money is what motivates you

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Ok thank you for that. This is what I was looking for.
edit on 5-2-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Trump looked left!

Everyone freak out!

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

It's essentially saying that a private employer can choose to allow employees to take their 'pay' for an extra hour worked as time-and-a-half pay, or as an hour and a half of time off, up to a maximum of 160 hours time off. The employer may offer the option, but cannot force it; if the employee wants the pay, he/she gets the pay. Everything not used in a year must be paid within 31 days, and everything accrued must also be paid upon any termination for any reason.

I think this is awesome! I have worked comp time at an even, hour for hour, exchange... work 50 hours, get paid for 50, get 10 off when I need it. Now if I work 50, and get paid for 40, I'll get 15 hours off! YEE-HAW!

I guess the OP just hates it when good things happen to people... I know CNN hates it. Warren is throwing a fit over giving people a fair shake. I'm sure Schumer will be screaming to high heaven how terrible it is to let people have a choice. But me? I love it!

Another victory for Trump... and the working people.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

www.congress.gov...

TheRedneck

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   

This thread is being reported. Subject is a Fake/Lie.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

The measure, backed by Republicans, would let employers give workers time off instead of time-and-a-half pay the next time they put in extra hours. The vote tally was largely along party lines, with no Democrats voting in favor of the bill. Six Republicans also voted against it.

FAKE NEWS!.

Getting time off ?

WHERES THE FREGGIN OUTRAGE ?

Geezus.

What do you expect? OPs source didn't include one line from the bill.

Just a verified tweet from pocahontas.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
It's essentially saying that a private employer can choose to allow employees to take their 'pay' for an extra hour worked as time-and-a-half pay, or as an hour and a half of time off, up to a maximum of 160 hours time off. The employer may offer the option, but cannot force it; if the employee wants the pay, he/she gets the pay. Everything not used in a year must be paid within 31 days, and everything accrued must also be paid upon any termination for any reason.

Call me skeptical, but I want someone with legal knowledge to confirm that this is the case and its not just some back way of screwing the employees.

Another issue I see is that some companies may decide to simply phase out vacation days considering you can basically build up your own hours.

But I will remain hopeful but skeptical. I want the Dems to explain to me why its bad and show me the exact wording that they seem to be tripping up on. Maybe they are pointing to a fire, maybe they are just blowing smoke and pretending its a fire.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

For myself and anyone else concerned; from the bill:

“(1) GENERAL RULE.—An employee may receive, in accordance with this subsection and in lieu of monetary overtime compensation, compensatory time off at a rate not less than one and one-half hours for each hour of employment for which overtime compensation is required by this section.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

H.R. 1180 – Working Families Flexibility Act of 2017 (Rep. Roby, R-AL, and 17 cosponsors)

May 2, 2017
(House)

STATEMENT OF ADMINISTRATION POLICY

H.R. 1180 – Working Families Flexibility Act of 2017
(Rep. Roby, R-AL, and 17 cosponsors)

The Administration supports H.R. 1180, the Working Families Flexibility Act of 2017. H.R. 1180 would amend the Fair Labor Standards Act to allow private-sector employers to give their employees the choice to receive paid time off instead of cash payments for each hour of time for which overtime compensation would otherwise be required. The bill would extend to private-sector workers a choice that public-sector employees have long enjoyed.

H.R. 1180 would help American workers balance the competing demands of family and work by giving them flexibility to earn paid time off—time they can later use for any reason, including family commitments like attending school appointments and caring for a sick child. In addition, H.R. 1180 contains critical protections to ensure employees can continue to choose overtime pay and to prohibit employers from coercing their employees to accept compensatory time instead of overtime pay.

If H.R. 1180 were presented to the President in its current form, his advisors would recommend that he sign the bill into law.

Okay, I would be more comfortable if they specified how much comp time off is given. It doesn't say 1.5 hours for every hour over..or even 1 for 1..just says time off instead of pay. I wonder if that could be loopholed into doing 1 minute for every hour type thing.

Edit:
Nevermind, answered right as I was typing this

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: TheRedneck

For myself and anyone else concerned; from the bill:

“(1) GENERAL RULE.—An employee may receive, in accordance with this subsection and in lieu of monetary overtime compensation, compensatory time off at a rate not less than one and one-half hours for each hour of employment for which overtime compensation is required by this section.

I am more okay with this bill then.

So..whats the issue?
edit on 2-5-2017 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-5-2017 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Really misleading title to the post.

The article and the Bill have nothing to do with ending overtime pay...

mg

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Honestly, I am more than willing to bet that more people could make more money without overtime laws than with them.

It should be up to the employees and employer to decide.

If the company doesn't HAVE to pay overtime then they can offer more hours to their employees and everyone is happy.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   

What about that headline / article to you summed up anything to do with your thread title / summary?

This should be HOAX'ed or something.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

What about that headline / article to you summed up anything to do with your thread title / summary?

This should be HOAX'ed or something.

Story is legit, thread title and OP however is not correct as stated.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   
It is the employees choice, not the employers choice.
O.T. pay or time off.

Article and O.P.'s title are very misleading.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Here is a article for those opposed to the bill.

I'm not completely sure of the negative ramifications. Could the OP or someone who is opposed please enlighten me?

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Just slow down and read the thing. I linked it above. Not a terrible amount of legalese in it.

And yes, it specifies, an hour and a half off for every overtime hour worked. In my experience, that's a 50% raise in comp time rates.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join