It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Republicans Pass Bill to End Overtime Pay

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
It would be nice to be able to bank hours to get a steady check if you had to take time off for taking kids to the doctor or had family get sick and had to go be with them. There needs to be a limit on how much overtime can be banked though. Twenty hours is usually plenty to bank. Except maybe it would be nice to have forty hours banked for deer hunting season.

I think 160 is the max before either required time off or required payment for any more.

20 hours? pfffffffffffft. cant take the twice a year trip to the far east on half a week of comp time.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

This bill. Not almost twenty years ago...

This bill. The one passed just recently. Go ahead and read it first, then explain to me why it's so bad. I'll wait, or read your, doubtless illuminating response in the morning.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I remember how the anti-American MSM trashed the governors of Indiana (Pence) and Wisconsin (Walker) for passing laws that gave employees to option to opt-out of paying union dues. As of the end of 2015, 77% of employees had opted-out. They appreciated being given CHOICE.. a.k.a. FREEDOM.

Damage done? NONE. More spendable income for workers, was the result.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Good. I didn't see it either. Was worried I had gone blind for a moment.

Sounds like just more of the typical "I don't care what gets done, only that the 'right' ('left'?) people do it" mentality.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

Sure people ignore the truth all the time and thereby is the birth of tragedy

You refuse to accept the reality of my reminder of the past GOP destructive acts that dam near destroyed the country

The state of the US in 2008

IS NOT HYPERBOLE

The fact that the GOP ALWAYS wants to take away progress of poor and middle class people IS NOT HYPERBOLE

its the truth!

Back in 08, the left was concerned with the truth, factual information they can point at, etc.
The push against the left was "feelings".

Why are you flipping the script. point out in the bill the problems you see...the black and white. stop with your feelings and start with the absolute facts on this piece of legislation.

Keep in mind, the progressive wing of the left has become a monster and is becoming more communist (like..overt flag waving commies)..and communism is to workers what a gunshot is to medicine. No doubt commies dont want actual capitalistic incentives to enter into the workplace that will allow a mutually beneficial outcome.

So anyhow, what exactly..which sentence, do you object to in this bill?

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Worked decades in this system…

Since I borrowed my brothers SS card and started at 14.

In fact I worked at a company where you didn’t get an over time until after 40 hours, nothing new indeed.

I worked on projects, IT stuff, 30 40 hours overtime sometimes for Exxon, Merck, Schering Plough, Time and Life, big companies, big projects and dam if we would accept this garbage

link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

That did indeed clear it up.

I could see this being a savings account for a company. In other words let the employees save 160 hours (interest free) and then pay them off at the end of the year. This only applies to a company VS employee scenario.

“(7) USE OF TIME.—An employee— “(A) who has accrued compensatory time off authorized to be provided under paragraph (1); and “(B) who has requested the use of such compensatory time, shall be permitted by the employee’s employer to use such time within a reasonable period after making the request if the use of the compensatory time does not unduly disrupt the operations of the employer.

Also a sun set in 5 years.
edit on 2-5-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: rickymouse

“(A) MAXIMUM HOURS.—An employee may accrue not more than 160 hours of compensatory time.

I suppose with this law in place, employers wouldn't have to offer vacations. If they wanted to be a-holes.

I don't know, if you got two weeks vacation then got another three weeks of overtime banked, that could make a couple of nice vacations.

A friend of mine worked for the MDOT and he would get a lot of banked overtime he could take off when things slowed down. He actually could take two months off in the winter after the projects were all completed most years. He still had his sick days, his vacation days, and holidays, since they worked so much in the summer he usually took those off in the late fall to winter too. I think they could carry over banked hours, because he had to take the vacations and some sick pay or he would lose those. Another thing, banked hours can be taken as cash too if extra cash is needed.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   

I agree that the time off in exchange for SOME of the OT you work go towards days off. I'm looking for chinks in the armor so to speak. I like this bill a little too much!

It wouldn't be far fetched for a shady business to find a loophole and I'd like to know about it. I work in tool and die and we have rollercoasters of work. Up/down all year and it would be nice to plan vacations instead of using vacation time when we are slow.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   

I worked on projects, IT stuff, 30 40 hours overtime sometimes for Exxon, Merck, Schering Plough, Time and Life, big companies, big projects and dam if we would accept this garbage

Then you dont..you say Naa, I'll take the 1.5x pay instead of 1.5x hour comp.

What is your objection?

state it..state the actual issue you have with it..you dont want a employee choice? they aren't allowed comp time instead?

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

That's because the American people are easily deceived and basically selfish and greedy.

When things go bad, they get scared and get some sense and vote in a democrat( Obama twice)

Clinton Twice...then they stabilize things and they stupidly go back to a rich-man butt kissing republican, who you could bet your last dollar, will sell them out.

These are historical Facts...Not political dogma that you spout

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

(A) MAXIMUM HOURS.—An employee may accrue not more than 160 hours of compensatory time.
Source: www.congress.gov...

TheRedneck

That is good, as long as that banked hours doesn't have to be used up before taking unemployment benefits. I didn't want the guys having all sorts of hours banked then losing their unemployment for a month when they got laid off in December for three months. I usually laid all but one off for the winter who would work less than the max they could earn to get either a full or half unemployment check.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Worked decades in this system…

Since I borrowed my brothers SS card and started at 14.

In fact I worked at a company where you didn’t get an over time until after 40 hours, nothing new indeed.

You do understand that this is volunteer basis or as the bill states:

“(7) USE OF TIME.—An employee—

“(A) who has accrued compensatory time off authorized to be provided under paragraph (1); and

“(B) who has requested the use of such compensatory time,

shall be permitted by the employee’s employer to use such time within a reasonable period after making the request if the use of the compensatory time does not unduly disrupt the operations of the employer.

Come on man, just read the bill. It's not long and addresses all the concerns you've stated.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   

That's nice. But it's not explaining why you've issue with this bill.

I've read the thing a couple-three times and I'm not seeing the death of the Republic anywhere in it. It's giving workers a choice to work the overtime get paid, or bank it for later use... What's the issue?

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: TheRedneck

(A) MAXIMUM HOURS.—An employee may accrue not more than 160 hours of compensatory time.
Source: www.congress.gov...

TheRedneck

That is good, as long as that banked hours doesn't have to be used up before taking unemployment benefits. I didn't want the guys having all sorts of hours banked then losing their unemployment for a month when they got laid off in December for three months. I usually laid all but one off for the winter who would work less than the max they could earn to get either a full or half unemployment check.

I would argue that I would rather use vacation time>unemployment time. The rate is better and I earned it but that is just me.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   

a reply to: SaturnFX

That's because the American people are easily deceived and basically selfish and greedy.

When things go bad, they get scared and get some sense and vote in a democrat( Obama twice)

Clinton Twice...then they stabilize things and they stupidly go back to a rich-man butt kissing republican, who you could bet your last dollar, will sell them out.

Oh for Fu....
Look man, either you deal in todays reality on this specific subject or not.
Want to bring up history? fine..lets pretend history has relevance

Who opposed freeing slaves? the democrats
Who started up the KKK? the democrats.

according to your logic, the dems are just damn evil..amirite?

now back to today...point out what you dont like in the legislation
point it out
nobody gives a @##$ about your feels..point to facts.

I am feeling like you are just trolling now. Why wont you point to a single sentence in this legal document that you dislike? What if Bernie Sanders was pushing it? would you be all on board? its legal..a turnip could have written it, it doesn't matter who wrote it, it matters what it says

so, what does it say that makes you believe its bad?

what does it say?

focus for just one post..no history concerns or any of that...what in this bill worries you?

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Yeah, and that could be a win-win. I have worked comp time before, happily, because I could then take time off for a special occasion coming up. That way, I knew my income would be there uninterrupted. The company basically gets to defer payment and smooths out payroll for sudden work gluts. The employee gets to have a life outside the office.

To be honest, this is the first bill I have seen in a long time, from either party, that I can't find a downside to.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Not that I disagree, sources. Or heck start a thread, that would be good reading, bloody as hell. But good.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

That's nice. But it's not explaining why you've issue with this bill.

Its kinda creepy and cultish. he rejects reading something that may go against his belief system. The reason of rejection of even reading it is because it is by the "evil ones"

This isn't legislation discussions then, its religion.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   

It would count just like severance pay or pay for unused vacation time (which is what it is). And it's all the employee's choice... there's actually a paragraph that forbids any kind of coercion from the employer. So if the company decides to try to use it to screw over employees, the employees can just say "nope, I want cash."

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join