It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Entire (all 100) US Senate called to White House briefing with Sec of State/Defense, others

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheScale
i see alot of people willing to let china take over N.korea but id like to ask u why u believe that would be good for the north koreans or the south koreans for that matter. if anything china has showed us time and time again they have no qualms with persecuting a foreign people. just ask the tibetans. i just dont really see much of an upside for the north koreans. maybe they open up the borders and let them flood into s korea while the chinese move in their own citizens. who knows but i dont have a good feeling about china being there.

I don't think anyone really does, but the reality is that you see all this angst caused by messing with one man who has maybe a couple dozen smaller warheads that may or may not be able to fit on the tips of his missiles that may or may not actually fly very far ... far enough to strike Hawaii?

Now consider China that has many warheads, fast attack subs with warheads, the ability to sneak in and quietly fry the entire left coast. And you want to stop them from handling North Korea if they insist on handling North Korea?

You want us to go to war over that? Maybe toss around some nukes for it?

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: TheScale
i see alot of people willing to let china take over N.korea but id like to ask u why u believe that would be good for the north koreans or the south koreans for that matter. if anything china has showed us time and time again they have no qualms with persecuting a foreign people. just ask the tibetans. i just dont really see much of an upside for the north koreans. maybe they open up the borders and let them flood into s korea while the chinese move in their own citizens. who knows but i dont have a good feeling about china being there.

I don't think anyone really does, but the reality is that you see all this angst caused by messing with one man who has maybe a couple dozen smaller warheads that may or may not be able to fit on the tips of his missiles that may or may not actually fly very far ... far enough to strike Hawaii?

Now consider China that has many warheads, fast attack subs with warheads, the ability to sneak in and quietly fry the entire left coast. And you want to stop them from handling North Korea if they insist on handling North Korea?

You want us to go to war over that? Maybe toss around some nukes for it?

nope i never said we should stop china, i just said i dont see any good coming for the north koreans if they do take over. alot of the motivation for people that want the north koreans to be free is for humanitarian reasons. i feel like alot of people are going to be dissappointed down the road especially with chinas track record

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I wonder many times about Countries like NK that do stuff like this and why our Educated Politicians from around the Globe just never ask the basic question?
What is it that you want?

Seems like a Dictator out of control but what's he really want?

My biggest Concern is when it gets ugly, what he will do. I think he would do something that he knows would really
upset us the most like going after Hawaii or doing something somewhere that we consider of such high value we would have no recourse but to unleash our arsenal. Once that happens there's no turning back.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: elysiumfire
The invitation for all cross-party members of the Senate is to give a briefing of intention and to gain a consensus among members to back both sanctions and military action if required. That is the way I see it.

Trump does not want his hands tied by requiring Senate approval if things turn really sour during the shut down, so he is seeking sanction and approval from the Senate before it closes.

The case for military action through missile strikes will be for surgical strikes to achieve the following:

1) reduce Kim Jong-un's nuclear capability by taking out all nuclear support and logistics and missile installations that are known to be static. There is very little they can do about mobile missile launches until they are fired off.

2) take out installations producing material for the production of nuclear weapons.

3) take out Kim Jong-un and his support leadership if possible.

The severity of any missile attack on Kim Jong-un will depend entirely on his ability to respond to and attack the carrier fleet. Trump and his advisers obviously feel there could be American casualties and deaths, so a consensus from the Senate should help to mitigate political questions. Many North Korean people would be expected to move away from the area of conflict, which should see North East Korea and the capital hit. The people know that they cannot go South, so a northwards exodus towards the Chinese should be expected. Some may try to cross into Russian territory.

Harder sanctions will be imposed first, with penalties of missile strikes should Kim Jong-un flout them. Unlike with the Syria strikes, Trump is going the legal route this time.

Have you ever invited 100 people to anything? There will be no discussion, except amongst the guests. I agree Trump is laying down plans, but this isn't to seek approval. You can't get a consensus out of meeting with 100 people.

These are most likely just plans.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: MBSCSDD

That's the thing - it's what we have been doing. We've been letting him hold the entire region at nuclear blackmail until we cough up whatever money or supplies he wants.

This isn't a one time thing. It's just that Obama was double-time quick to bend over in asking what he wanted.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Here's something to think about.

What if crazy-Un decides to nuke one of his own cities? Lets say he blows up Pyongyang and immediately starts jumping up and down, crying to Xi in China, "LOOK, look what those crazy Americans did!!!" Hopefully, China will hesitate for a second and try to grasp what happened.

But, if they don't, it ain't gonna be pretty...

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: dontneedaname

This is different. This is an actual senate briefing pertaining to North Korea, and it was convened by the senate majority leader rather than an invitation from the president. They are "invited" in the sense that they are not required to show (They are never required), but it is not a skmple invitation. So this is not on the same level as Obama's invitation to talk about healthcare. No, this is serious big boy stuff.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Tempter:

Have you ever invited 100 people to anything? There will be no discussion, except amongst the guests. I agree Trump is laying down plans, but this isn't to seek approval. You can't get a consensus out of meeting with 100 people. These are most likely just plans.

No. He needs approval from the Senate to strike. Trump can only hit North Korea if they attack first, he can't strike North Korea on threats, alone. He also needs approval from the UN so that he follows international law and expectations.

If he can achieve a majority consensus from the Senate for strikes, he can go ahead when required. However, harder sanctions will be the first port of call. If Kim Jong-un flouts those sanctions with further missile tests, or even a nuclear test, he will open himself up to an international response as Trump will have the UN approval and the Senate approval to hit him.

China and Russia won't be happy, but they will have to accept it, because Trump will have followed the relevant procedures.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight

What if crazy-Un decides to nuke one of his own cities? Lets say he blows up Pyongyang and immediately starts jumping up and down, crying to Xi in China, "LOOK, look what those crazy Americans did!!!" Hopefully, China will hesitate for a second and try to grasp what happened.

I wouldn't put it past Lil' Kim to nuke one of his cities, but it would be obvious from the get-go who's to blame. I think it's more likely that if he feels that he's cornered, then all heck would break loose.

I mean, if he has to "go down with the ship," so to speak, then imho he will try his best to take as many people with him.

This ain't going to be pretty. I think this will turn into an all-out war this week.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Isn't that what a President needs to do before he declares war?

Sounds like we might be finishing the Korean war....

Makes me wonder if we will see a pre-emptive strike by North Korea.

Who is going to dare throw the first punch in this one?

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: dontneedaname

Has it been pointed out yet that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is the one who requested and organized tomorrow's briefing? He wanted all Senators brought-up-to-date, after their 2 week vacation from D.C..

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight

this has been brought up in other threads and if he tries to go that route its really easy to figure out from the fallout and debris exactly where the materials came from. if im remembering right every bit of material mined from certain areas has its own unique isotope count so they could determine if it was his own nuke or someone elses.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I've been digging for about an hour and can't find anything.

Has anyone ever found another example of the ENTIRE SENATE being called to the White House for a meeting with the President of the United States?

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Tempter:

Have you ever invited 100 people to anything? There will be no discussion, except amongst the guests. I agree Trump is laying down plans, but this isn't to seek approval. You can't get a consensus out of meeting with 100 people. These are most likely just plans.

He [President Trump] also needs approval from the UN so that he follows international law and expectations.

Not under our Constitution. The laws of the United States are not superseded by any "international law".

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I wouldn't have been over there in the first place if I were president.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: SBMcG

Has anyone ever found another example of the ENTIRE SENATE being called to the White House for a meeting with the President of the United States?

I can't either. What Senator McConnell has requested is unprecedented.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: dontneedanameThe pressure has to be on for the NK military to take out that little porker to save their country from annihilation...

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: SBMcG

It'll be leaked to the press before the meeting is over...We won't have long to wait...

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Tempter:

No. He needs approval from the Senate to strike. Trump can only hit North Korea if they attack first, he can't strike North Korea on threats, alone. He also needs approval from the UN so that he follows international law and expectations.

If he can achieve a majority consensus from the Senate for strikes, he can go ahead when required. However, harder sanctions will be the first port of call. If Kim Jong-un flouts those sanctions with further missile tests, or even a nuclear test, he will open himself up to an international response as Trump will have the UN approval and the Senate approval to hit him.

China and Russia won't be happy, but they will have to accept it, because Trump will have followed the relevant procedures.

The War Powers Act gives him the authority. It has been used by all Presidents since it passed in 1973. Some argue that it doesn't but never-the-less it has stood all of these years.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: MBSCSDD
I wonder many times about Countries like NK that do stuff like this and why our Educated Politicians from around the Globe just never ask the basic question?
What is it that you want?

Seems like a Dictator out of control but what's he really want?

My biggest Concern is when it gets ugly, what he will do. I think he would do something that he knows would really
upset us the most like going after Hawaii or doing something somewhere that we consider of such high value we would have no recourse but to unleash our arsenal. Once that happens there's no turning back.
What bothers me is that no one seems to consider maybe the lunatic has an ace up his sleeve... And that ace could be Chinese anti ship missiles which are said to be the fastest in the world and unstoppable...That ace could also be Chinese subs off our coast loaded with nuclear missiles...Maybe he's willing to sacrifice NK for some serious hits on the US mainland with the cooperation of China...

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join