It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennessee Mom Throws A Fit When Her Daughter Learns About Islam In School

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

When then is it the right time to teach different cultures and truth? When a child knows there are many religions (i.e. The truth) then it is harder to brainwash them to stupidity.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

This a bunch of complete BS. There are entire years of high school dedicated to American history. Islam is taught in likely just one week or so of education.

More specifically, lets break that down. I don't remember my HS curriculum perfectly but I'm pretty sure it was around 1 years worth of world history.

Between major geographic areas/cultures of the Greeks, Romans, Indians, Native Americans, Mayans, Aztecs, Russians, French, Germans, Japanese, Egyptians, Africans, Mongols, Ottomans, and Vikings (I'm sure there's more but these were the first few to come to mind) I've listed 16 groups which would need covered over 2 semesters or 8 per semester.

That's 1 every 2 weeks. The typical class period of 50 minutes 5 days per week, so 500 minutes of time devoted to each.

Out of the groups I listed, only one was Muslim. Explaining the religious background of them and going into Islam would use no more than 1/3 the time devoted to that group, so about 3 days worth of class time spent on Islam. A pretty tiny amount really.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
US educational system is one of the worst in the world, specially grade school, but for some reason our college education is one of the best.

PISA tests say otherwise.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

An Outline History of
Religion in American Schools

1890 Supreme Court rules that America “is a religious people. . . . this is a Christian nation” as such it is fitting that its people would teach their children the Christian faith. (The Trinity Case)

1983 President Reagan proposes a Constitutional Amendment to allow school prayer.

1987 Supreme Court overturns a State Law requiring a balanced treatment of creation science and evolution. (Edwards vs. Aguillard)
1992 Supreme Court rules Clergy may not offer prayer at graduation ceremonies. (Lee vs. Weisman)

2000 Supreme Court rules student initiated or student led prayer at football games is unconstitutional.

www.free2pray.info...
The history of this subject is really interesting!

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Darn for a while the propaganda was that blacks help build American, so now we are to substitute the African American heritage for Islam heritage, we are really grasping for straws now

Perfect example of why people should be taught more history. 25% of the Africans brought over to the New World were Muslim. There were many cases where they could read and write (Arabic) and their owner's couldn't.

Then again since people don't read history books they keep imagining that Africa was just full of primitive Africans with no culture. Far from the truth regardless of religion. And large parts of Africa were Muslim, so tada... your ancestors imported Islam to the US on the slave ships.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   

a reply to: neo96

Or that they stone the women to death when they think the women is guilty of anything and that a husband or father can commit honor killings with not judgment or punishment.

Just for the record, "honor killings" are directly against the Qur'an, as it says that anyone who intentionally kills another believer goes to Hell forever (Surah 4:93).

Sahih International translation
But whoever kills a believer intentionally - his recompense is Hell, wherein he will abide eternally, and Allah has become angry with him and has cursed him and has prepared for him a great punishment.

Pickthall translation
Whoso slayeth a believer of set purpose, his reward is hell for ever. Allah is wroth against him and He hath cursed him and prepared for him an awful doom.

But just as with other religions, it's not like most people actually follow their own scriptures. "Honor killings" are literally no different than the people who kill their wives for adultery; lynched a daughter or female family member for sleeping with a racial or cultural "enemy"; kill a relative simply for being LGBT; or attempt to kill someone for sleeping with their a female relative. They're crimes that are committed in the name of "saving face".

For the record, I hate the concept, regardless of the demographic. But I also consider it no different from any other form of murder.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   

I went to school in NY State, so did my kids. in both cases the school taught us that the writers of the constitution took parts of the Iroquois Confederacy's way of governing and incorporated it into our system of gov't... we learned about all the various nations that were in NY, how they lived, which tribes they warred with, which tribes sided with the colonists when they went against british rule, which ones didn't. ect. that was in middle school, in high school, during american history we learned about the trail of tears, the alamo, geronomo, ect. our state fair grounds even has authentic long houses within it. so, quite frankly....
I think the education me and my kids got was pretty good!!

at least none of us aren't going around claiming that the constitution came from biblical principles, which is a bunch of rubbish really!

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

originally posted by: Irishhaf
For years I have been told that we cannot teach religion in school... so how come now a days its ok to teach Islam?

If you want to teach about another culture sure... fine no problem from me.. but for 20+ years liberals have been saying you cannot push teach or have anything to do with religion in schools because it violates separation of church and state..

So which is it... no religion in schools or not?

Because they're not teaching the religion, but the history of and connection to other religions. The history of the Middle East cannot be taught without acknowledging islam and in reality, it's not any different than lessons about ancient Egypt.

In any reality it is totally different than ancient Egypt.

All of these garbage religions are nothing compared to what was in Egypt.

And NOONE is taught a dam thing about EGYPT.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   

I bet if we ask the Children, they won't want to be exposed to this class, it has to be more boring than anything else offered, even *gasp* Social Studies!!!

LEAVE THE DAM KIDS ALONE !!!

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Even worse, the history being taught ABOUT where and when all of these "religions" came from and how they morphed into what they are now, is as badly WRONG as what the religions currently believe to be TRUE.

You go into any advanced learning sectors and find out the entire history of what you were taught as a child was B.S.

Please explain how being taught utter lies helps you understand religions that are full of lies ??

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I wonder if homeschooling will be the new trend if teachers are starting to slither in religion thumping in class from anything BUT christianity.

And here we go with globalization...it's real!

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
And you wonder why Donald Trump wants to do away with common core? This case in point.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
a reply to: dogstar23

Well none of those religions are waging war across the planet either.

That doesn't explain why teaching about Islam infringes on her religious rights while teaching about other religions doesn't. Does she subscribe to a particular brand of Christianity which teaches that one should keep one's head buried in the sand off something is "scary?"

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO

You go into any advanced learning sectors and find out the entire history of what you were taught as a child was B.S.

Thankfully! The poor teaching did great for my development. As soon as I started finding things my elementary school teachers had taught as "fact" were not true, the seeds of my distrust of unearned authority began to grow and strengthened my love for actual learning vs happily accepting whatever spoon-fed nonsense someone claiming to know something was spewing.

I specifically remember arguing with my 2nd grade teacher who taught that you can't see the part of the moon that's in shadow at all. I told her that wasn't true, the "rest of the circle" (the unlit portion of the moon) was clearly visible and colored differently than the surrounding sky. She eventually got frustrated and simply told me I was wrong. I shrugged her off, knowing I was right and told my parents, who went out that night to look with me. My mom said, "maybe she's never looked at the moon."

Thank you Mrs. R for the early lesson, and especially my parents for encouraging me.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011
And you wonder why Donald Trump wants to do away with common core? This case in point.

What does this have to do with common core? Common core is nothing more than a set of English and Mathematics standards that were designed by the states... the feds aren't even involved, so Trump couldn't eliminate common core even if he wanted to, without a severe expansion in the authority of the Department of Education. Of course, that's all moot anyways because common core standards have nothing to do with teaching about religion.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Oh my
She went full retard.

Learning about a religion is not being preached to nor does it make a person follow that religion. They teach about Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, and Hinduism, but she just had to flip out when they taught about Islam.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: Bluntone22
How can you possibly teach history without talking about different religions?
Huge parts of our past has been directly influenced by religion.
Talking about communism doesn't mean anyone is trying to get you to switch to communism.
Same goes for religion.

My running theory on why the US is as resistant to something as simple as thorough background education on something? Probably has to do with our Puritan roots retarding us (to use the word in exactly the proper context here) Our resistance is a hold-over from the stick-up-up-ass era.

I have read the Koran, the accompanying Hadiths, and know well what it means to live in a sharia state...

I suppose the offense I take is sharia would see my homosexual sibling jailed or executed and my physician wife subjugated to my masculine rule despite her unequaled intellectual prowess (phage level IQ)

Historical sidenote:
The Zarathustrans once thought as American progressives think…
How did that work out for them?

-Chris

Some where in this discussion the phrase "only the poorly educated would have such an opinion "

Quoted above is is conclusion of of a multilingual, well educated man. He states from the knowledge he personal possesses.
The "Mom" cited in the original OP went SJW all over it. Perhaps, without the benefit of emotional balance and/or schooling.

A person can be very clever but not be educated. I thing that is what we are seeing here.

Many of you are debating really well. I have to ask, do your fore heads hurt from banging against the wall?

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

You'd be surprised how seriously some people out here take this. One of my friends asked me for a copy of the Qur'an, but said his wife would kill him if she saw it. I thought he was joking until he explained how anti-Islam her family was & how they'd already had heated conversations about it. I gave him a copy, which he said he could only read in his car, though I think he ended up settling on a pdf. Ironically, he came from a poorer background while her family was pretty well off.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom
a reply to: uncommitted

I don't approve of either! it is all wrong but in those days it wasn't.
Is this hard to understand?.

Sorry to get mad but for personal reasons I get mad If anyone thinks I approve of anything that harms kids.

Not quite sure why you got that impression but that's your business.

I was merely pointing out that marriages between adults and children of either gender were relatively common up until at least the 18th century amongst the great and the good in the west as a means of forming a political/financial union of some kind. None of that should be taken to assume sex with a very young child took place, more that there wasn't anyone else older in the family to marry off.

I'm not asking you to approve that, it's just history and for people to look at Mohammed as an isolated example is naive.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: goou111

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: surnamename57

You will stop connecting it with terror when Islamic terrorism is brought to an end.

Negative. We will stop connecting Islam with terror when people wake up and realize that it is only a small subset of Muslims that engage in terrorism. The same way that we don't look at the Irish as 100% terrorists because of the IRA. This requires education and understanding NOT fear and ignorance.

All terrorist are not Muslim, but all Muslims are terrorist. Wait did I get
that right? Yeah I think it is.

Only if you are a totally ignorant when it comes to terrorism.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join