It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennessee Mom Throws A Fit When Her Daughter Learns About Islam In School

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 04:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Got it... teaching about a religion is ok as long as you approve it..

So much for separation of church and state... Teaching young impressionable teens/pre-teens about a religion (any religion) does influence the way they think even if its not being "pushed" overtly.

The state has no business promoting any religion... teaching it in school is a form of govt promotion.

ETA: or do you think all teachers are capable of teaching without inputting their personal opinions?

ETA: I have no problem with a generic religious class that does not focus on any one in particular.

Do you even listen to yourself?

You are directly contradicting yourself.

You say you have a problem with the history or significance of Islam being taught in schools, and in the SAME breath you say you'd be fine with it being taught, as long as the history and significance of others religions are taught. Are you even aware that this IS how school works? One topic is taught, learned, and then another topic is taught, learned.

For instance, they are learning about the Middle East right now , and the history and role of Islam in the middle east.

They ALSO teach about the history of Christianity and other religions, including Hinduism and Buddhism in World History.

I think you have no idea what you are even upset about.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 04:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: Kalixi

Women do not have a very nice place when it comes to the male to female ranking in Islamic nations. Is no such thing as gender equality.

And you're wrong. Some Muslim nations have had female heads of state that's something we haven't had yet here in the United States so how are they backwards on gender equality?

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 04:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

We are in America we chose what our children should learn when it comes to religion and the public school is not the best place for such topic, plain and simple.

Perhaps showing the TV news about the result of Islamic terrorist attacks on infidels should follow the Islamic studies.

That sounds interesting, and then after learning about American forces perhaps show kids in Vietnam running screaming from burning villages as they themselves are burning? That would be educational too wouldn't it? Perhaps then the teacher could explain that those children are burning because America didn't like the political ideology taking hold of that country and decided to get involved in another countries civil war perhaps?

Nothing worse than a hypocrite.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I live in TN. The story here in my county is that they teach Mohammed was a prophet of God, Jesus might be the son of God. They are literally ignoring the enslavement of whole societies, brutal beheadings, pedophilia rape aspect of the founders and ultimately glorifying Islam. But Jesus is likely a fraud is a takeaway from this "education". I believe in Jesus and your right to no believe. I need not remind you of the sharia teachings we have knowledge to corroborate the facts.
EDTA

they are saying here locally:

It is not fair to squash our beliefs and bring in these haters of any not willing to follow sharia AND teach Islam is worthy but Christianity is not.

That is the crux of the argument and I agree with those saying it is wrong and wonder too why the haters of Christians don't see the pattern? Is it to fix those area's that are full of the 'ignorant and dirty masses" who want freedom of/from religion and the right to defend their way of life and selves? To me it seems.
edit on 7-10-2016 by Justoneman because: grammar

edit on 7-10-2016 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: marg6043

This a bunch of complete BS. There are entire years of high school dedicated to American history. Islam is taught in likely just one week or so of education.

More specifically, lets break that down. I don't remember my HS curriculum perfectly but I'm pretty sure it was around 1 years worth of world history.

Between major geographic areas/cultures of the Greeks, Romans, Indians, Native Americans, Mayans, Aztecs, Russians, French, Germans, Japanese, Egyptians, Africans, Mongols, Ottomans, and Vikings (I'm sure there's more but these were the first few to come to mind) I've listed 16 groups which would need covered over 2 semesters or 8 per semester.

That's 1 every 2 weeks. The typical class period of 50 minutes 5 days per week, so 500 minutes of time devoted to each.

Out of the groups I listed, only one was Muslim. Explaining the religious background of them and going into Islam would use no more than 1/3 the time devoted to that group, so about 3 days worth of class time spent on Islam. A pretty tiny amount really.

EXACTLY! If any kid ends up brainwashed to be a Muslim after so little exposure to the religion then they are truly a moronic sponge. No human child is that dumb.
edit on 7-10-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

I agree. It's a huge and ongoing tug-of-war, but currently it looks like the state is favoring secularism in schools.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO

Even worse, the history being taught ABOUT where and when all of these "religions" came from and how they morphed into what they are now, is as badly WRONG as what the religions currently believe to be TRUE.

You go into any advanced learning sectors and find out the entire history of what you were taught as a child was B.S.

Please explain how being taught utter lies helps you understand religions that are full of lies ??

Look. I have a LOT of complaints about how history is taught in public schools. Namely that it is edited and made to make America ALWAYS look like the good guys no matter what, BUT taking a class OUT of the curriculum to not even talk about it will make the situation worse, not better.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman

they are saying here locally:

It is not fair to squash our beliefs and bring in these haters of any not willing to follow sharia AND teach Islam is worthy but Christianity is not.

Don't suppose you have ... you know ... a link, or evidence, or something to corroborate your story ... do you?

I mean, the way you just told it, what's going on is not history, but religious indoctrination in school, which is of course illegal.

So, help us out ... evidence?

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: supermarket2012

By generic I mean cover the basics... where did it start how did it start, cover how it influenced development in the regions it holds sway...

Oh in case you didn't notice

The state has no business promoting any religion... teaching it in school is a form of govt promotion.

I realize everyone assumes I am a crazy right wing christian... but I am not, if you need to classify me I am a Catholic that is a heretic.

A choice will be made by the people making the text book on how to present the information... does the book cover the convert or die period? Or does it just cover the scientific and mathematics boom that occurred during the heyday.

Once they start picking and choosing you run the very real risk of straying into promoting the religion or promoting fear about it.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
a reply to: Grimpachi

You'd be surprised how seriously some people out here take this. One of my friends asked me for a copy of the Qur'an, but said his wife would kill him if she saw it. I thought he was joking until he explained how anti-Islam her family was & how they'd already had heated conversations about it. I gave him a copy, which he said he could only read in his car, though I think he ended up settling on a pdf. Ironically, he came from a poorer background while her family was pretty well off.

Attitudes like that worry me... Luckily I know and work with enough Muslims that no matter how much propaganda I read in the news, I could never fully believe it. Not only that, but I was in Iraq while in the Army. I saw the people devastated by war. I also knew that all the terrorists were foreigners. None of them were Iraqis.

I've been exposed to so much Muslim culture (and to be honest, with the amount of Muslims in the world it is a fraction of fraction of a percentage of the culture) that there is no WAY the fear media's narrative is true. Sure, there are VERY bad Muslims out there who take their religion WAAAAY too seriously, but at the same time the same is true for Christianity, but the media makes it sound like ALL or most Muslims are bad which is nowhere close to true. And it disgusts me greatly that Americans are falling for it. Again.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Read this carefully as you didn't get the point I bolded in the OP:
The state isn't promoting a religion!

Teaching ABOUT a religion isn't promoting it. It is just educating people so they are more informed about the religion. Why is this so hard for you to understand? It's been pointed out several times by me and other posters as well.

From the OP:

The school board explained the process for removing a textbook and said any replacement would have to meet current state standards. According to the state board of education’s website, those standards include educating students about Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism and Hinduism in 6th grade, and Islam in 7th grade, “including Islam’s historical connections to Judaism and Christianity.”

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   

How would you teach the history of "Western Civilization" ca 600-1600 CE without mentioning Islam?

Just curious how you think that would work.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Depends on how the book is laid out... if they only cover the good that occurred while glossing over the bad then it is a form of promotion.

Think you and I went round and round for a bit over the history book thing in Oklahoma, you thought (if my memory is correct)we should cover more of the atrocities while just touching on the good... I felt it should be an equal split.

Same premise with this in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   

What do you feel about forcing children to stand up to say the pledge of alligience or to bow down in blended knee before a football game?

That is forced religion...Right?

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

It would be very hard, but you would need to boil it down to the facts and let the student reach their own conclusion.. As I mentioned above it all boils down to how the text book presents things... if they kept it just the facts great... Ill happily admit to being wrong. Last few books I have seen definitely puts the companies slant on how history is presented.

I think its wrong no matter what religion it is talking about... its a history book just the facts please.

Teachers have pretty much an impossible job now a days, more my niece that just started teaching history tells me about the do's and don'ts more I am convinced they are wildly under paid trying to keep up with whats acceptable.
edit on 7-10-2016 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: veracity

Who does that? Seriously..

I am 43 never had to say the pledge, never had to take a knee before any of the sports I played..

Was there a prayer said before games that usually covered keep everybody safe etc... sure, I never HAD to pray.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Trust me, if anything I'm with you on avoiding religious "seep" (of any kind) into our educational system.

More than once I've wished that any textbooks used in public school systems were available for perusal online.

From Krazy's OP, however, I saw nothing to indicate that anything aside from "just the facts" were being taught.

The mother's singular reaction pretty much tells me that she's a bit ... well, let's just say "obsessive" and be done.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   

I feel the same way about grade school history classes, but I don't write or approve the textbooks. HOWEVER I still want the topic discussed even if it is flawed. Hopefully that knowledge has the kid seek out further knowledge on the subject. Sure, it's unlikely, but there could still be one or two kids who do it. But if you don't teach the topic at all then no kids will seek out knowledge on it.

I will readily admit that grade school history is flawed and is one of my biggest complaints about history. It is VERY jarring taking a college level history class after 12 years of pro-America propaganda called History. But that is a completely different topic than the one we are having.

Also trust me, I don't want religious indoctrination in schools either. That includes Islam.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

The mother's singular reaction pretty much tells me that she's a bit ... well, let's just say "obsessive" and be done.

Especially since not a single other mother agreed with her. She was alone in her rant.

Edmisten was the only parent to speak about the issue.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Missing the point, prayer "as a group" before a game is forcing religion. And I for one was forced to stand up to say the pledge when I was in school. Not with a gun to my head, but with peer pressure. I complied of course, bc that's what the school taught me. I felt forced then and more than ever now that I'm older, it upsets me.

I also was a cheerleader and had to take a knee at every game. Upsets me more now than it did then. I'm al about prayer and a safe game, but on your own time. It should never be included with public events.

edit on 7-10-2016 by veracity because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join