It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennessee Mom Throws A Fit When Her Daughter Learns About Islam In School

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: surnamename57

sorry.... I just don't think under the same logic as you I guess...
they are both muslims, one group are choosing this group of quotes and dictates while discarding the others while the other group is taking the set that the first group discarded while ignoring the ones the first group decide were more worthy.
christian tend to do the same thing.
it all depends on how you want to view your god, and what you are hoping to get out of your relationship with that god.
but both the bible and koran lay out two separate paths, one leads to a kind loving god, the other leads to the anti-christ and his muslim counter part.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Actually the first crusaders was long before that. Islam was less than kind and very imperialistic. Many don't realize thr Christian crusades was in response to islams. That really isn't taught in school a whole portion of history is just missing.

635 Muslim Crusaders besiege and conquer of Damascus

636 Muslim Crusaders defeat Byzantines decisively at Battle of Yarmuk.

637 Muslim Crusaders conquer Iraq at the Battle of al—Qadisiyyah (some date it in 635 or 636)

638 Muslim Crusaders conquer and annex Jerusalem, taking it from the Byzantines.

638—650 Muslim Crusaders conquer Iran, except along Caspian Sea.

639—642 Muslim Crusaders conquer Egypt.

641 Muslim Crusaders control Syria and Palestine.

643—707 Muslim Crusaders conquer North Africa.

673—678 Arabs besiege Constantinople, capital of Byzantine Empire

680 Massacre of Hussein (Muhammad's grandson), his family, and his supporters in Karbala, Iraq.

691 Dome of the Rock is completed in Jerusalem, only six decades after Muhammad's death.

705 Abd al—Malik restores Umayyad rule.

710—713 Muslim Crusaders conquer the Indus valley.

789 Rise of Idrisid amirs (Muslim Crusaders) in Morocco; foundation of Fez; Christoforos, a Muslim who converted to Christianity, is executed.

800 Autonomous Aghlabid dynasty (Muslim Crusaders) in Tunisia

807 Caliph Harun al—Rashid orders the destruction of non—Muslim prayer houses and of the church of Mary Magdalene in Jerusalem.

I can keep going but you get thr idea thr west only looks at one half of the conflict. BOttoman line is thr Christian crusades were a direct result of the expansion of Islam in its attempt to conquer others. Both sides went to the extreme but I will say it is hard for us to judge today because both sides thought they were doing what is right. And right or wrong is relative to ones view point.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

I don't know I was taught that the beginning of the crusades was europe's attempt to protect the people who were making pilgramage to the jerusalem because the muslims were making such journeys quite dangerous. which, I am sure I was taught more but that is what stuck with me over the many decades since I was in school.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

Another who doesn't read.

"Historically, the age of consent was set at 10 or 13 years, depending on the era and the culture, and tended to coincide with female puberty, which was also the age at which a female could marry without parental permission.” [14]"

Also.

“United States, the age of consent was much lower. For example, in New York, the age of consent was ten years until 1885.

We don't need to do that anymore how dare you insinuate I would be for it.
If we both lived in those times it wouldn't even be an issue heck If you read the article you would see it is a very new thing having a age of consent as high as it is now.
So don't say I approve of it because I don't but I'm can see it was a different time.

edit on 6-10-2016 by TheKnightofDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
I can keep going but you get thr idea thr west only looks at one half of the conflict. BOttoman line is thr Christian crusades were a direct result of the expansion of Islam in its attempt to conquer others. Both sides went to the extreme but I will say it is hard for us to judge today because both sides thought they were doing what is right. And right or wrong is relative to ones view point.

You realize that you just made an excellent case to continue to teach Islam in schools correct? If we cannot judge who was in the right and wrong based on today's morality, then we need to look at both sides objectively to figure that out. Thus you need to learn about Islam to do that. So therefore it makes sense to continue teaching it in schools.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom

Another who doesn't read.

"Historically, the age of consent was set at 10 or 13 years, depending on the era and the culture, and tended to coincide with female puberty, which was also the age at which a female could marry without parental permission.” [14]"

Also.

“United States, the age of consent was much lower. For example, in New York, the age of consent was ten years until 1885.

We don't need to do that anymore how dare you insinuate I would be for it.
If we both lived in those times it wouldn't even be an issue heck If you read the article you would see it is a very new thing having a age of consent as high as it is now.
So don't say I approve of it because I don't but I'm can see it was a different time.

Where did I say you approve of it or say I care if you approve of it or not? I was making what I assume is the same point as you that assuming what was a political marriage meant sexual intercourse was a given, and that basing any moral high ground to people in the 8th century through to the 18th century from the 21st century is a wasted exercise.

I do read, maybe take a little more care reading what has been written before kicking back with such a response.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: goou111

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: goou111

originally posted by: uncommitted

originally posted by: jellyrev
I am for historical facts but it would offend many.

Muhammad, a war mongering pedo. Im sure the class talked about that lol.

I really dont think they could teach it neutrally like they can other religions, mainly bc it lacked reformations and being a critic is dangerous.

To call Mohammed (let's actually use the real name) a paedophile for taking part in a politically based marriage - the same as was used in the west among various royal and political families until at least the 18th century is just showing shocking ignorance of history....... maybe it's that lack of education that kickstarted this whole OP.

Of course you would profess to be more educated, wouldn't you?

Ok then they are pedos too.. Is that better because Mohammed was definitely one

Making judgments on 7th century culture from 21st century culture.

The concept of Pedophile didn't even come about until 1886.

There wasn't even a word for it until around 1940.

Well it was still sex with children and we have a word for it now

Females became women around age 10 or 12 at the onset of puberty. Meaning they were of marriage age.

Sometimes, a marriage was arranged at a younger age. BUT, no intercourse was permitted until first menstrual.

Mohammed's wife Aisha, through REAL information was believed to be at least 10 when the marriage was consummated. Perfectly normal and acceptable within the culture at that time.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I don't approve of either! it is all wrong but in those days it wasn't.
Is this hard to understand?.

Sorry to get mad but for personal reasons I get mad If anyone thinks I approve of anything that harms kids.
edit on 6-10-2016 by TheKnightofDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I grew up in a Christian only country where the Roman catholic church was in charge of the public schools curriculum and still nowhere we were to learn about jesus or Mohamed just wars of conquering and territory expansion.

Get it, Hell even in my dominated catholic country we learn more about evolution theories in junior high than my children have learned in their entire grade school years in the US, what that tells you and now they are introducing Islam, can you smell agenda? I guess not.

Islam doesn't belong in any curriculum in public schools in America. plain and simple and neither any other religion.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

This Christian Justice Warrior seems to think that her daughter's personal religious beliefs were violated and is demanding a safe space for her daughter and all the textbooks about Islam removed.

Nice political neologism.

Way to go Edmisten! Buck that system! Having your daughter not learn about a topic is a GREAT way to tear down misunderstandings between the two cultures.

Culture ?

the quality in a person or society that arises from a concern for what is regarded as excellent in arts, letters, manners, scholarly pursuits, etc.

www.dictionary.com...

I guess leave all the parts about child brides,rape,RACISM, and empire building under the flag of Islam.

After all can't have KIDS learning about that.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043
Fantastic. You still haven't laid down a compelling case not to teach about Islam in schools. All you did was state your education while a child. I know nothing about what you learned or how effective it was. I DO know that not teaching about Islam is dumb and deprives children of knowledge of the world. Whether they actually LIKE Islam or not is a completely different story and opinion they can come to on their own. There is nothing wrong with sharing knowledge. It's a wonder that Christians are so scared of it...

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Thanks for that walk in history I guess the key is to take away the realities of what Islam is and what the moors did in ancient times, they want to paint a side of Islam that is nice, doesn't oppress women doesn't incite terrorist attacks on infidels and they are not in a war of conquest.

Sad times are we in this days, when now one religion takes priority in the name of cultural learning.

The irony.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

Thanks for that walk in history I guess the key is to take away the realities of what Islam is and what the moors did in ancient times, they want to paint a side of Islam that is nice, doesn't oppress women doesn't incite terrorist attacks on infidels and they are not in a war of conquest.

Sad times are we in this days, when now one religion takes priority in the name of cultural learning.

The irony.

Who is "they"? A strawman you are inventing to pretend like you know what you are talking about? Because at NO point was anyone suggesting that we hide any parts of Islamic history. The point of teaching it is so you can look at all the good and all the bad.

I think some of the posters on ATS really should go back to school...

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Fantastic. You still haven't laid down a compelling case not to teach about Islam in schools.

If it's anything about the civil war. How 'white' freed the black man while the WHITE man slaughtered the natives, and STILL makes them live on 'fema' camps of today.

And IGNORE stuff like the Tuskegee experiments.

I can only imagine what TRASH is being taught.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Islam doesn't belong in any curriculum in public schools in America. plain and simple and neither any other religion.

If Christianity doesn't. Islam doesn't.

They are TRYING to have it both ways.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

If Christianity doesn't. Islam doesn't.

They are TRYING to have it both ways.

Right!

And how do you include atheism?

My grandson is being raised without knowledge of God belief. We want him to find out and decide for himself.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Except they aren't. The history of Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc are also taught in public schools. It's kind of hard to teach about the Holy Roman Empire without having a basis in Christianity. It's kind of hard to teach about the history of India without a basis in Hinduism. And it's kind of hard to teach about the Ottoman Empire without a basis in Islam.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

???? they are both being taught in this particular curriculum I would assume in like manner ????
so, the accusations of hypocrisy can fly both ways I guess, since the women compaining about this really sounds like someone who would have no problem if the schools had full fledge christian indoctrination in the schools...
which I am pretty sure this is far from being even close to indoctrination of any religion.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

how can he find out for himself though if he isn't exposed to differing views on the topic though?

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Let no forget that most American students in public schools are illiterate about their own culture and American history, but now they are to learn about Islam culture, really? how obtuse somebody needs to be to see what is behind this brainwashing

Who is paying for this? well not only tax payers but also one very well funded entity millions is finding itself in our own educational system.

The Harvard Middle Eastern Studies received a $20 million donation from Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal in 2005. Georgetown University also received $ 20 million from the Prince that same year.

Money talks and Islam will walk into our curriculums in public tax payer funded schools in the name of multiculturalism.

Education or Islamic propaganda

If you are a Islamic apologist then this Cultural education, for any body else like is crap and propaganda.

Saudi millions has been flowing into American Universities for years. Including the textbooks that should be used for Islamic teachings.

Yes, follow the money, Saudi Arabia have a lot of it invested in Islamic studies, and many other places including financing terrorism too.

BTW this crap is been spreading all over the states where Saudi money finds its way, one way or the other, all of the schools in the states been targeted the families of children attending the schools has been opposing to this

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join