It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennessee Mom Throws A Fit When Her Daughter Learns About Islam In School

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Tennessee Mom Throws A Fit When Her Daughter Learns About Islam In School

So let's take a break from the national circus for a section and look at what's going on in the world of stupid. So this Tennessee mother heard about how her 7th grade daughter was learning about Islam (distinction: NOT being forced to worship it or being preached it) and immediately blew a head gasket. This Christian Justice Warrior seems to think that her daughter's personal religious beliefs were violated and is demanding a safe space for her daughter and all the textbooks about Islam removed.

A Tennessee mother has launched a crusade against the textbooks used in the local school district after she found out her daughter was learning about Islam as part of the 7th grade social studies curriculum.

Michelle Edmisten claims her daughter’s “personal religious beliefs were violated” with lessons about Islam, according to the Kingsport Times News. Her daughter opted out of those classes and was given zeroes for refusing the work.

“Those are zeroes that we proudly took and we will not compromise,” Edmisten was quoted as saying.

Way to go Edmisten! Buck that system! Having your daughter not learn about a topic is a GREAT way to tear down misunderstandings between the two cultures.

Speaking at a school board meeting on Monday night, Edmisten demanded that the district remove the textbook.

“It is time as parents, teachers and administrators we stand up and take back our families, our schools and our country,” Edmisten said, according to local CBS affiliate WJHL.

“I would like to see parents, Christians, veterans, anyone that’s anyone, stand up for this fight,” she told the TV station. “How can I, as a Christian, say that I have these values? And I want to instill these values in my daughter, but then say it’s okay, go ahead and do it.”

Edmisten was the only parent to speak about the issue.

Fighting the good fight I see. So there you have it. Ignorance of Islam is a Christian belief and denying it is a perversion of the lord. AMEN! (note: Christians who don't believe as this crazy lady, don't take offense I'm not talking about you guys
)

In any case, the School board wasn't having it.

The school board explained the process for removing a textbook and said any replacement would have to meet current state standards. According to the state board of education’s website, those standards include educating students about Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism and Hinduism in 6th grade, and Islam in 7th grade, “including Islam’s historical connections to Judaism and Christianity.”

Sorry, Mrs. Edmisten, but the state INSISTS that your daughter be cultured. You'll just have to reconcile that between you and the lord.

+44 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

One wonders how it would pan out if the religions were switched .

+58 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   
For years I have been told that we cannot teach religion in school... so how come now a days its ok to teach Islam?

If you want to teach about another culture sure... fine no problem from me.. but for 20+ years liberals have been saying you cannot push teach or have anything to do with religion in schools because it violates separation of church and state..

So which is it... no religion in schools or not?

+20 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Why is that? There are plenty of American Muslims happily learning about the history of Christianity in American public schools.

+32 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
For years I have been told that we cannot teach religion in school... so how come now a days its ok to teach Islam?

If you want to teach about another culture sure... fine no problem from me.. but for 20+ years liberals have been saying you cannot push teach or have anything to do with religion in schools because it violates separation of church and state..

Because they're not teaching the religion, but the history of and connection to other religions. The history of the Middle East cannot be taught without acknowledging islam and in reality, it's not any different than lessons about ancient Egypt.
edit on 10/6/2016 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

+22 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

Teaching the history and significance of a religion isn't actually teaching the religion. The schools aren't forcing them to worship and believe it. Only understand what it is and where it came from.

Yeah... No. You completely don't understand what is going on. There is a BIIIIIIIG difference between Christians trying to implement Christian beliefs versus actually teaching ABOUT a religion.

+36 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Got it... teaching about a religion is ok as long as you approve it..

So much for separation of church and state... Teaching young impressionable teens/pre-teens about a religion (any religion) does influence the way they think even if its not being "pushed" overtly.

The state has no business promoting any religion... teaching it in school is a form of govt promotion.

ETA: or do you think all teachers are capable of teaching without inputting their personal opinions?

edit on 6-10-2016 by Irishhaf because: additional thought

ETA: I have no problem with a generic religious class that does not focus on any one in particular.
edit on 6-10-2016 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   

The woman is just as bat crap crazy as some of the Muslim fundamentalists that believe people violate there religious rights by drawing pictures of Mohamed.

Lets face it children should learn about religion, if memory serves the class was called R.E(Religious education) and covered most religions in the class syllabus.

It's not like shes being made to follow Sharia law, they are simple educating kids as to the organised religious practices of our world.

edit on 6-10-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

+18 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   
As-Selamu Alaykum-

They better not dig too deep into 'history and connections' or else they'll see that they are "almost" the same religion™...

And if they keep up with that digging 'they' will see the dinosaur bones that go back longer than the 6,000 years 'some' of a particular sect™ is 'pushing'..

Better stop now before this zealot retains legal counsel, the football team is looking to go to Sectionals and the basketball teams need new uniforms, Pink for October, besides the Home/Away uniforms... hahahaha

Stay Hydrated...

link   

Why is that? There are plenty of American Muslims happily learning about the history of Christianity in American public schools.

And no one threw a fit . Best you read below if you think the shoe wont fit the other foot .

www.thepoliticalinsider.com...
edit on 6-10-2016 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

link   

I think that happenes....states side at least.
But I can see your point if you mean turning the tables and teaching Christianity over in some Taliban run country.

Then heads would roll...pardon the pun.

+17 more 
link   

Okay? Left-wingers and Democrats in this country go insane when Christianity is taught at school. So what's your problem? You should be happy that she's upset.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   

This is what you get when people are poorly educated, we can blame the government for that.

The media (aka fourth branch of the government) also needs to take their fair share of blame too. The demonization of Islam in media outlets, social & mainstream, has made everyone think that anybody from the middle east is a terrorist who hates western values. They've made people believe that Islam is a religion of hate when if anyone could be bothered to do their own research on the subject they'd find this couldn't be further from the truth.

The world is full of ignorant idiots unfortunately and that's not going to change anytime soon. Just keep fighting the good fight

+14 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

do you have any evidence to show this is a true statement?

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Shouldnt have been given zeroes.

I hope they go over the current states of each religion as well.
There is a twofold problem honestly.
1st Islam is a complete belief system, it is a political system as well, not simply a religion. I doubt that it taught in a negative light like communism is even with some teachers(esp college profs) sympathetic to it.

As a poltical and legal system I would hope that it is given the same treatment as nazism in schools.

2nd the parents do not know how this religion is being portrayed, the government/school is controlling what is truth and testing the students on what they deemed truth. Because currently the governments in the west are bending over for Islam I would guess that islam is whitewashed in schools.

As a parent, I'd like to review the material myself before a child is taught the schools cherrypicked facts on a subject.

social studies/history class is public schools is ridiculously distorted as it is.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

There is a difference between teaching religion and teaching humanities and culture. Of course some are ignorant of the difference.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

One wonders how it would pan out if the religions were switched .

I wonder, along that line, how many schools in Islamic countries teach about Christianity (other than to explain that they are infidels and should have their heads cut off)?

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Then the US education system must elimate early US History from its curriculum as well. Students are taught about the Pligrams, The Quakers and those who left their home countries for the freedom to practice religion.

There is a major difference between teaching about the history of a culture, it's religion, how It's connected to Christinality and Judaism, and preaching religion via religious text.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: damwel

There is a difference between teaching religion and teaching humanities and culture

Yes and hopefully exactly the same time is allotted for children to learn about all the other non provable belief systems like Greek gods, Roman gods ,Polynesian gods, Viking gods, Eskimo gods, Aborigine gods, Native American gods etc..

If not why not as they're all as plausible (and provable) as each other?

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I think this is why we in the UK are not very religious RE lessons put us all off. I was lucky I got banned from RE at 2nd year high school.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join